Sheed - what next?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Sheed - what next? 

Post#1 » by theBigLip » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Let's say Sheed plays hard the rest of the year and has a solid playoff run, geting us into the 2nd round at least and playing tough against Bos or Cle. It is now offseason free agencey time and Sheed comes to Dumars and says he wants a 3 year deal for around the MLE ($5Mil) per season. Do you give it to him? Do you counter? Or do you just release him, take the cap space, and go hunting for younger free agents to rebuild with?
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Re: Sheed - what next? 

Post#2 » by vege » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:36 pm

I think it's about time for him to go. We need someone younger. Dice and Sheed have been fantastic last few years but they are old. I would love to see Dice staying but Sheed needs to go.

Our back court is one of the best in the league (i am counting SF as back court but it's front court but whatever :lol: ) we need to improve our front court, and we must do it next year with the cap space.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#3 » by Cowology » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't think I'd even bring him back on a 1 year deal. Are we a better team without him? Probably not. But I'm tired of his **** and it's time to move on.
aad
Starter
And1: 466

Post#4 » by aad » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:43 pm

I really dont want sheed back either but if you sign boozer then you have to keep sheed
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#5 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:32 pm

from the detnews

Wallace's future

 Rasheed Wallace, who sat out his second straight game Friday with a sore left calf, spent some time before shoot-around talking about his future.
 Wallace, an unrestricted free agent as of July 1, was asked by a Toronto reporter how long he planned to play.
 "I don't know," he said. "I guess until the wheels fall off the bus, or until I'm not wanted by no teams, I guess. I'm still year-by-year."
 Wallace will seek another contract this summer and he has indicated in the past that he would like to remain a Piston, even if that meant taking on a lesser role.
 Wallace, who has made close to $200 million in his career, knows he faces two major obstacles this summer -- his age (34) and the shrinking economy.
 "It's going to change a whole way of living for some guys, having to take those pay cuts," Wallace said.

I agree, if Boozer comes to Pistons, perhaps they could get Dice and Sheed to come back at a reduced price. That would be a great frontline
pistons773
Senior
And1: 56

Post#6 » by pistons773 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:58 pm

I personally would love to have Rasheed off our bench. I just don't want to depend on him for more than bench play at this point because he is so erratic.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Low-Ki » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:09 am

Sheed ain't coming back because we have his Bird Rights and we'd have to pay him more than he'd get elsewhere as a result. Other teams can say "we only have the MLE" or whatever, but we don't have that built-in barrier. I don't think the Pistons have any plans of being over the salary cap next season.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#8 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 am

Low-Ki wrote:Sheed ain't coming back because we have his Bird Rights and we'd have to pay him more than he'd get elsewhere as a result. Other teams can say "we only have the MLE" or whatever, but we don't have that built-in barrier. I don't think the Pistons have any plans of being over the salary cap next season.

Will Dice be a FA next season? If so, I wonder how much $ will be left if the Pistons did sign Boozer. Dumars would probably want to sign only one or the other in that case (Dice or Sheed). He'd probably want to get guard help off the bench (Gordon?)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:33 am

Thanks for the memories, Sheed, but its time to say good bye.

If Dice wants to come back, we can DEFINITELY talk about that.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:49 am

Gordon probably wants too much money for the Pistons blood.
Bosanac
Rookie
And1: 20

Post#11 » by Bosanac » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:04 am

I wouldn't mind Sheed coming back for the vet min and a bench role playing behind a PF we get this summer. A bench role makes us depend less on his game and he would be imo good of the bench. Other than that I don't see any need for us bringing him back. And if I had to choose one of Sheed and Dice, I definitely pick Dice.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Low-Ki » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:25 am

Problem I have with the idea of bringing back Sheed at a fraction of the cost and off the bench is you don't know how he'll react to such role. If he's getting paid half of what he gets now, will he justify it by only wanting to play half the time? Or giving less effort? What if we brought Sheed back after signing Boozer and Boozer gets hurt and has to miss the season - Will Sheed accept starting and playing 30 minutes a game while only getting $5M a season?
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
Bosanac
Rookie
And1: 20

Post#13 » by Bosanac » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:40 am

I think Sheed wants to play less minutes. He still feels he can play but his body won't allow him to play as much as before. I don't see where he would try justifying playing a certain way because his salary or role changes. It'll still be Sheed being Sheed. If he plays off the bench, you can expect him to play his way. He'll come in, chuck some, get pissed off some and go inside and terrorize, and do his best against top competition.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#14 » by theBigLip » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:54 am

I'd love to have Sheed and Dice as long as they come off the bench behind Boozer and Chandler :-)

Not sure how low Sheed's salary would have to be to do that, but that would be my ideal frontline next year.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#15 » by ajaX82 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:17 am

If Sheed is back in any way with this team next year i will be pissed. I have not pulled any punches lately with my feelings on him and it aint changing now. He is garbage, thanks for the good times, but peace out homie
torontopistons
Junior
And1: 0

Post#16 » by torontopistons » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:44 am

I would much rather prefer Sheed not come back as a player next season. Unfortunately there's very few options out there; a Boozer-Maxiell frontcourt if Dice doesn't choose to come back would be extremely cringe-worthy (the thought of defensively challenged Boozer in a Pistons uni is already bad enough) Not a big fan of the idea of bringing Sheed back, but there might not be any other option (although I'm crossing my fingers for Chandler, but that's a different topic)
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#17 » by Greyhound » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Rasheed Wallace would be a fool to come back to Detroit. He can use the opportunity to go to a situation that gives him the chance to finish his career with another championship. That is not happening in Detroit. If LeBron signs an extension this summer, Rasheed should probably consider going there (as SA is starting to look really old), Miami or Boston.

-------

I had a conversation with an individual on this website a while back about plus/ minus and they proposed a theory that Rasheed's +/- was only high because he played with starters the bulk of his time. That however did not pass the smell test upon further review.

If such was the case then why was Rasheed's +/- even higher earlier in the season when he played 35 minutes plus per game (with long stretches alongside various combinations of reserves)? Fact is that Rasheed Wallace has a high plus/ minus rating every year (basically his entire career).

Conversely McDyess (though loved my many) has remained one of the top negatives on the team (lowest to all but Maxiell), even though he logs a good bulk of his minutes amongst the regulars. Even the reserves being accused of pulling down the plus/ minus of individuals that play alongside them do not register as low.

Last season when Rasheed and McDyess started alongside one another the entire season, this trend remained consistent. Rasheed registered as one of the greater positives on the team while McDyess registered as a negative.

Deductive reasoning would indicate to me that Rasheed Wallace simply has a greater positive effect on basketball games then McDyess.

With Maxiell who is another one of the loved hard workers I believe that individuals fall to the misconception that appearing to work hard will produce results. Activity should not be mistaken for achievement (the two do not correlate).
Don't believe the hype...
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#18 » by Greyhound » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:34 pm

All of the above having been said…

I would like to note that Rasheed and McDyess traded places in terms of their plus/ minus effect in the post season last year.

At this point I view Rasheed as more of a versatile, veteran big off of the bench for a contending team. That role would better fit all involved as currently his production is outweighed by his abrasive, negative effect that literally poisons the game officials against his team over prolonged stints. In reserve minutes this would be less of a deterrent as well as the fact that he would be relied upon less by his team.

As a fan of the Pistons I would agree that Rasheed's departure would be best for the team. The current stage of the Pistons team development and what they need from their bigs do not quite mesh with the role Rasheed is better suited for.
Don't believe the hype...
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#19 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:59 pm

i think he goes to Spurs maybe Lakers if they deal Odom
pistons_own
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#20 » by pistons_own » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:13 pm

id give him one more year, really were not a three point threat at all, but tay has a good percentage and stuckey showed us som of his three point range in one of the games when felton laid back on him

Return to Detroit Pistons