What you're getting with Ben Gordon

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Re: What you're getting with Ben Gordon 

Post#21 » by Three34 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:04 am

The Bulls never signed Ben Wallace. Fact. It simply never happened.
luxuryjones
Junior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by luxuryjones » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:06 am

You are going to flat out love Ben Gordon. I am torn up to see him go, but the Bulls got what they deserved. I am a Bullsfan btw. We offered him less last year than the year before, after we overpaid Hinrich and Deng..

He is an assassin. He will not fight thru a screen to save a life, but his man won't torch him for 30. His shot IS ray allen, arenas, reggie miller like. I swear. Like sham said he can hit any shot he takes. He's ultra effecient and the primary reasons people think his shot selection is bad is because he had to bail out the offensive juggernaut known as hinrich ,tyrus, noah, adrian griffin, malik allen, and nocioni for years.... He went from playing for Jim Calhoun, arguably one of the 5 best coaches in NCAA history, to Scotty "below .500" skiles. We are lucky he didn't slit his wrist. And if that wasn't icing on the cake, he had to serve as a back-up to hinrich. That's like Jay-Z opening up for Chris Brown...

Dumars will figure it out 5/55 definately fair. He's a model citizen
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#23 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:12 am

Thanks for the scouting report, very helpful
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#24 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:13 am

Sounds like many of you have doubts about the Ben Gordon signing, and on paper, I could understand. Still I wouldn't be surprised if many of you come around and learn to love him the first time he drops 18 points in a 4th quarter, including three treys in the last couple of minutes. I really believe he was under appreciated during his time in Chicago. As a die-hard Bulls fan I am really going to miss him. Congrats on getting a hell of a player.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Three34 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:17 am

By the way, Ben Gordon is a pretty polarising figure. We haven't had a Bull since Jamal Crawford able to simultaenously illicit both so many fan boys and so many people who think he's the equivalent of Juan Dixon. It's pretty special. I think that's what I'll miss most - the passion he seemed to make people feel for him, and the infighting between the two factions. Good times.

The hate him crowd haven't found their way here yet. You'll hate them when they do.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#26 » by roc » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:21 am

Sham wrote:The Bulls never signed Ben Wallace. Fact. It simply never happened.

You did sign Has Been Wallace though. :wink:
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#27 » by Dirtgrain » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:21 am

Sho'nuff. Ha. Bruce Leroy?
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#28 » by Dirtgrain » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:25 am

Sham wrote:By the way, Ben Gordon is a pretty polarising figure. We haven't had a Bull since Jamal Crawford able to simultaenously illicit both so many fan boys and so many people who think he's the equivalent of Juan Dixon. It's pretty special.

Oh no, and we just got rid of AI. Oye veh.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Three34 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:27 am

r0cd0gg wrote:
Sham wrote:The Bulls never signed Ben Wallace. Fact. It simply never happened.

You did sign Has Been Wallace though. :wink:

:banghead:
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#30 » by roc » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:31 am

LOL sorry Sham, couldn't resist.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
kukulkan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#31 » by kukulkan » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:33 am

chicago fan here:

BG wanted out of Chicago because the ghost of Scott Skiles haunted his nightmares! He needed a place where he could have the freedom to let his clutch efficiency expand.....

we're talkin a 28 pnt a game scorer with a 32 pnt average in playoff games
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#32 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:44 am

i think hes the best player on the pistons right now. including rip weather hes being moved or not.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#33 » by BrooklynBulls » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:46 am

If some are unfamiliar with the way in which Gordon scores, I'll break it down:

Off catch and shoots, he's very good. If open, he is very likely to hit the 3. Off-the-ball, he does not make good cuts often, mostly because he does not have the size or guile to finish once receiving the ball on the inside. However, he is one of the league's best insta-spacers. If he's in the game, your PG and SF have room to drive, as long as Gordon is on the strong side.

Gordon also shoots surprisingly well coming off curls, much like Hamilton, except unlike Hamilton, he often uses a fadeaway to finish the play. He's good, but not elite at this, and tends to be hot or cold in especially this department.

He uses a wide variety of screams, bellows, and flails in order to flop for the foul call. It works to good, but not great, effect.

He's a very good free throw shooter.

On the ball, he's as complete a perimeter scorer as you'll find. In the odd occasion that a smaller player is guarding him, he has a fadeaway jumper from the post that he'll almost always use.

When he runs the pick and roll, he is looking to score, not pass. He often gets trapped doing this, especially if the bigman is no threat to score, and this is a weakness in his game. He will sometimes take on the double, not pass out of it, and score regardless. He's...really good at making shots.

In isolation, he's got every trick in the book, utilizing a series of crossovers, headfakes, rocker steps, and hesitations to get the shot he wants. He shoots over small defenders very well, and uses his explosive first step and tricky dribble to get by longer defenders and shoot from a step or two closer. His offense comes main;y from the perimeter, but he will drive if given the lane. He is a mediocre finisher inside, but has improved in this facet.

Hope that helps.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#34 » by thesack12 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:08 am

A massive million thank yous to the Bulls faithful in this thread. I am actually reading insightful break downs on a players game without seeing any stat arguments. This is UNBELIEVABLY refreshing. Thank you Bulls fans Thank You.
Ruff Draft
Junior
And1: 2

Post#35 » by Ruff Draft » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:11 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:i think hes the best player on the pistons right now. including rip weather hes being moved or not.

Truth. I think Ben showed last year he can still take his game up a notch, and Rip stopped caring.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#36 » by coordinator0 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:24 am

I would also like to thank the Bulls fans. Classy bunch from what I've seen.
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#37 » by mattyj » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:35 am

thanks for the break down bulls fans

I think i am the only piston fan excited about this signing, ive been a fan of BG since his UConn days
Ruff Draft
Junior
And1: 2

Post#38 » by Ruff Draft » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:37 am

mattyj wrote:thanks for the break down bulls fans

I think i am the only piston fan excited about this signing, ive been a fan of BG since his UConn days

I'm with you all the way man! I was down for both signings, especially if the next step is as good as we think it is.
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#39 » by Rodya » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:40 am

Yeah, much thanks to the Bulls Fans that have posted here over the last day or two. Appreciate the insight, seems extraordinarily unbiased, refreshing.
nadiroo13
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Post#40 » by nadiroo13 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:49 am

Lemme get in on this.
Thanks Bulls fans, reading this thread makes me feel a lot better about this signings and brings down stress :) and its nice to see there isn't any anger stemming from us taking Ben, but its refreshing.
lol, i guess it's been a while.

Return to Detroit Pistons