What you're getting with Ben Gordon

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

gwtaylor
Junior
And1: 0

Re: What you're getting with Ben Gordon 

Post#41 » by gwtaylor » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:56 am

mattyj wrote:thanks for the break down bulls fans

I think i am the only piston fan excited about this signing, ive been a fan of BG since his UConn days

Hey now, I am really pumped about not only this signing, but CV as well.

We needed good players who are getting ready to enter their prime even if it means a high draft pick next year.

Depending on what we do to finish out the offseason, I think this was as successful as possible.

I am excited for the first time in awhile.
ajax:I feel like we are gunna see a "Old School" scene at the end of the third where Charlie goes to the bench, says he blacked out and asks what happened.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#42 » by Susan » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:00 am

You just got yourself another Mr. Big Shot. :(
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,063

Post#43 » by bstein14 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:02 am

No more bababababababa Billups....

Babababababen Gordon :)
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#44 » by thesack12 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:02 am

I am quite pleased with both signings (how could I not be? both are UCONN'ers)

However I am not going to do any projecting until the final polishing of the roster has been performed.
NBA74
Junior

Post#45 » by NBA74 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:12 am

I think if Gordon continues to develop THE REST OF HIS GAME, if he just becomes an average defender, rebounder, passer, ball-handler, finisher, then he will be a SUPERSTAR like dwade and CO.

CV too has a high ceiling that he has yet to reach.... He too needs to work on his Defense, and rebounding, and passing, But if he improves he can be a all-star many times....

THEY ARE ONLY 24 & 26, with the next 5 years going to be their best....:)

now we should sign a SF with our remaing cap (3-5 mil???) which makes tay and rip expendable...

A package of Rip & Tay should be able to net us a Bosh, Amare, or STUD bigman to put alongside CV.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#46 » by Three34 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:13 am

Gordon isn't ever going to be a superstar. He's not going to start doing things that he hasn't done in 5 years. By this point, bar some polishing, he is what he is.
nadiroo13
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Post#47 » by nadiroo13 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:14 am

We shouldn't sign the SF to make them expendable, we need to make our trade and spend the rest of the cap space accordingly.
lol, i guess it's been a while.
Ruff Draft
Junior
And1: 2

Post#48 » by Ruff Draft » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:18 am

Sham wrote:Gordon isn't ever going to be a superstar. He's not going to start doing things that he hasn't done in 5 years. By this point, bar some polishing, he is what he is.

I find it hard to believe his game wont get better now that he is with an organization that has faith in him, and will trust him. BG never felt like he as wanted in Chicago IMO.
Flight 23
Banned User

Post#49 » by Flight 23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:30 am

As a Bulls fan, I would like to thank the Pistons for signing Gordon.

For us he was the most unreliable superstar in the league. We had no idea who was stepping out onto the floor. Was it going to be the All Star quality Gordon, or the 8th, 9th, 10th man Gordon? He was that inconsistant for us from night to night.

He is a one dimensional player who can create a shot - seemingly any shot - in one-on-one situations. Unfortunately, these shots are often poor choices. He gets the ball, you just know he isn't going to pass it, he dribbles around in an 8x8 imaninary box and then jacks up a shot. We were living or dying by these prayer shots of his.

If you can get him to play his natural role, a 6th man with great firepower in oppurtunistic situations, then you are probably getting fair value. Now that he has gotten paid, maybe he will settle into this role. I have no idea.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Three34 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:42 am

Ruff Draft wrote:
Sham wrote:Gordon isn't ever going to be a superstar. He's not going to start doing things that he hasn't done in 5 years. By this point, bar some polishing, he is what he is.

I find it hard to believe his game wont get better now that he is with an organization that has faith in him, and will trust him. BG never felt like he as wanted in Chicago IMO.

He's been on my team for 5 years. He's been on your team for about 7 minutes. Therefore, it's probably not the best idea for you to tell me how his tenure with my team went.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,258

Post#51 » by vege » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:42 am

Flight 23 wrote:As a Bulls fan, I would like to thank the Pistons for signing Gordon.

For us he was the most unreliable superstar in the league. We had no idea who was stepping out onto the floor. Was it going to be the All Star quality Gordon, or the 8th, 9th, 10th man Gordon? He was that inconsistant for us from night to night.

He is a one dimensional player who can create a shot - seemingly any shot - in one-on-one situations. Unfortunately, these shots are often poor choices. He gets the ball, you just know he isn't going to pass it, he dribbles around in an 8x8 imaninary box and then jacks up a shot. We were living or dying by these prayer shots of his.

If you can get him to play his natural role, a 6th man with great firepower in oppurtunistic situations, then you are probably getting fair value. Now that he has gotten paid, maybe he will settle into this role. I have no idea.

I would thank you guys for signing Big Ben a few years back but Sham have been such a classy guy in this thread i don't think he deserves to read it so i will be quiet :P
NBA74
Junior

Post#52 » by NBA74 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:54 am

nadiroo13 wrote:We shouldn't sign the SF to make them expendable, we need to make our trade and spend the rest of the cap space accordingly.

you are BACKWARDS, dumars himself said it. SPEN ALL YOUR MONEY, then do trades....

We need a replacement for tay, so we could deal both tay+rip for a stud....
LikeMike23
Bench Warmer
And1: 617

Post#53 » by LikeMike23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:58 am

I am a Bulls fan, but most Bulls fans are idiots. Ben Gordon was never appreciated in Chicago, because Chicago hates midgets. I think Ben Gordon will be a great addition to the Pistons. He is entering his prime and will probably average more than 20 points per game for some time to come. I wish him well in Detroit. The Bulls are going to miss him and the playoffs. :(
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#54 » by mercury » Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:28 am

Sham wrote:
vege wrote:Thanks for the post Sham. I don't think anyone dislike Ben here. People who dislike his sign have a few reasons.

First we need front court depth and we killed most of our cap space to sign a player for a position we don't need.

If you want Tyrus Thomas, we can talk. :eyebrows:

If you don't, I'll understand. No, really, I will.

Alright let's talk.. understanding his dufus deficiencies we could use a high flying defender.
St8 up for Jmax.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#55 » by mercury » Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:41 am

Shout out to the Bulls faithful for the in depth insights on BG... solid BBall knowledge.
IMHO, he is the anti-Pistons for his lack of sharing and lack of D (sorry man but N.E. SG can simply raise up and shoot over the top)........ but we' were getting old.

Damn, Joe better have a serious plan for a big.

Alright I gotta ask... how sure are we that the Bulls won't match? (sorry if I missed this from another thread)
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#56 » by Horcy » Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:49 am

you are giving up too much money boys, too much. He's a good player but he doesn't earn that contract.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,793

Post#57 » by zeebneeb » Thu Jul 2, 2009 7:00 am

I am really excited that we got Gordon. I will be less excited if he is our starting 2-gaurd, but man, another Bad-ass Pistons gaurd.

Hope he, and Stuckey can join the elite levels of Isiah, Joe, Billups, Vinnie, RIP, and of course, Bing.

I expect great things outta this back-court, and he'll feel right at home, with all that passion, and hard-work, on a team commited to winning.

Welcome Gordon. Welcome to a team that will make you a winner.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Three34 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 8:29 am

Alright I gotta ask... how sure are we that the Bulls won't match? (sorry if I missed this from another thread)

He's not a restricted free agent.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#59 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Jul 2, 2009 9:22 am

As a Bulls fan that loves Ben Gordon, even I have to say he won't become a superstar.

That said, he's going to have a great five years in Detroit. If he's in the right system, he's going to excel. The guy can flat out fill up the bucket. I don't think you guys overpaid for him at all. The only problem is if you're expecting him to improve his defense, it's probably as good as it's going to get right now which still isn't very good. You can't fault the guy for not trying though. He does give it his all every time he steps on the court.

The majority of you guys will love him. I'm a bit perplexed that the Pistons were the team that pried him away from us since you already have guards, but if you can make that guard combination to work, that'll be pretty scary. I'm a huge Avery Johnson fan too (he's the guy I wanted us to hire last year) so I'm pretty jealous of you guys right now.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#60 » by bullzman23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 10:38 am

You guys are really lucky. BG never got the opportunity to play PG. He will now. People didn't think that Billups could play point either. I think BG will have a similar transformation in Detroit. Dumars is mostly a smart man.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com

Return to Detroit Pistons