Is Washington better than Detroit

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,579

Re: Is Washington better than Detroit 

Post#21 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:59 pm

If healthy, the Wizards are without question the more talented team. I don't see how anybody can argue otherwise.

The shooting guards and forwards are about equal. Butler, Jamison, Foye, Miller, Blatche and Young are roughly even with Rip, Prince, Villaneuva, Stuckey and Maxiell. The big difference is that the Wizards have a first rate superstar at PG in Arenas whereas the Pistons have Gordon. And in the pivot, Haywood, McGee and Oberto are much better than Kwame and Wilcox.

The real questions are whether or not the Wizards can stay healthy and whether Arenas has returned to 100% (all reports are that he is kicking ass against Wade and Lebron this summer).
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,742

Post#22 » by Cowology » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:09 pm

nate33 wrote:If healthy, the Wizards are without question the more talented team. I don't see how anybody can argue otherwise.

The shooting guards and forwards are about equal. Butler, Jamison, Foye, Miller, Blatche and Young are roughly even with Rip, Prince, Villaneuva, Stuckey and Maxiell. The big difference is that the Wizards have a first rate superstar at PG in Arenas whereas the Pistons have Gordon. And in the pivot, Haywood, McGee and Oberto are much better than Kwame and Wilcox.

The real questions are whether or not the Wizards can stay healthy and whether Arenas has returned to 100% (all reports are that he is kicking ass against Wade and Lebron this summer).

Don't really agree with you. ;-)
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#23 » by princeofpalace » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:10 pm

nate33 wrote:If healthy, the Wizards are without question the more talented team. I don't see how anybody can argue otherwise.

Haywood is better than Kwame but the seperation isn't that great. McGee is still raw, Oberto is hot garbage. Haywood, McGee and Oberto is not much better than Kwame, Wilcox and Wallace at all.

As usual the Wiz will all depend on his ability (or inability) to be healthy.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#24 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 pm

I just don't see how a team that changed so much and younger than last season will fare well. I hope I am wrong, but I enjoy watching my teams build winning organizations. I actually watched the drafts that brought Dumars and Rodman into the league. Thus, I am used to patience. This team the Pistons have now are in the rebuilding mode and won't make much of a mark for a few years. As for Flip, he is good coach for the regular season and the positioning for the playoffs can payoff for the Wizards. They have had the same nucleus for a few years.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#25 » by LyricalRico » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:54 pm

I find it hilarious that Gilbert Arenas has somehow now become "injury prone" in the minds of everyone. He's had ONE serious injury that required microfracture surgery - one of the most difficult things to come back from. He missed most of two years and has had multiple procedures (which is not uncommon for players in his situation) but it's still only ONE injury. How you can take a player taking a while to return from a serious injury and somehow turn that into "injury prone" baffles me.

To me, "injury prone" means Larry Hughes - a guy who misses 30+ games every season like clockwork with different little things (a wrist, an ankle, a broken finger, etc). I would put Caron Butler more in the "injury prone" category than Arenas. The recently departed Etan Thomas was also "injury prone" throughout his Wizards career.

I think this is a great example of how the internet can be used to create "facts". When these no-talent hacks that call themselves online "reporters" simply repeat the same stuff over and over again, it somehow becomes fact. And then everybody on message boards ridicules anyone who challenges it, so it just becomes accepted. In the words of Mark Jackson: "C'mon, man - you're BETTER than that."

Is there concern about Arenas' knee? Yes. Is he "injury prone"? No. There is a difference.

As for how the teams compare, I think both teams have a lot of questions. The biggest problem I have with what DET did was the Ben Gordon signing. Why do that if you already have Hamilton and Stuckey? Why pay a guy $10M per year to be a 6th man? I hope it works out but I have my doubts. And you still don't have a starting quality center. The Wizards have the health question and are depending on chemistry among lots of scorers. But finally having a legit NBA coach (instead of a clown like Eddie Jordan who will fail in Philly) I think will make a HUGE difference.

In the end, I think that Arenas will be healthy and Wizards will compete with Atlanta and Toronto for 4th in the East. OTOH, the Pistons will be fighting just to make the playoffs and will have to re-do their roster next summer.

Flame away!
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#26 » by RTM » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:58 pm

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,321

Post#27 » by vege » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:01 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I find it hilarious that Gilbert Arenas has somehow now become "injury prone" in the minds of everyone. He's had ONE serious injury that required microfracture surgery - one of the most difficult things to come back from. He missed most of two years and has had multiple procedures (which is not uncommon for players in his situation) but it's still only ONE injury. How you can take a player taking a while to return from a serious injury and somehow turn that into "injury prone" baffles me.

To me, "injury prone" means Larry Hughes - a guy who misses 30+ games every season like clockwork with different little things (a wrist, an ankle, a broken finger, etc). I would put Caron Butler more in the "injury prone" category than Arenas. The recently departed Etan Thomas was also "injury prone" throughout his Wizards career.

I think this is a great example of how the internet can be used to create "facts". When these no-talent hacks that call themselves online "reporters" simply repeat the same stuff over and over again, it somehow becomes fact. And then everybody on message boards ridicules anyone who challenges it, so it just becomes accepted. In the words of Mark Jackson: "C'mon, man - you're BETTER than that."

Is there concern about Arenas' knee? Yes. Is he "injury prone"? No. There is a difference.

As for how the teams compare, I think both teams have a lot of questions. The biggest problem I have with what DET did was the Ben Gordon signing. Why do that if you already have Hamilton and Stuckey? Why pay a guy $10M per year to be a 6th man? I hope it works out but I have my doubts. And you still don't have a starting quality center. The Wizards have the health question and are depending on chemistry among lots of scorers. But finally having a legit NBA coach (instead of a clown like Eddie Jordan who will fail in Philly) I think will make a HUGE difference.

In the end, I think that Arenas will be healthy and Wizards will compete with Atlanta and Toronto for 4th in the East. OTOH, the Pistons will be fighting just to make the playoffs and will have to re-do their roster next summer.

Flame away!

Man i was really enjoying reading your post untill the last 2 paragraphs. No comments. Really.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,137

Post#28 » by bstein14 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:05 pm

IMO the Pistons are in the 3-6 range and the Wizards are in the 4-8 range in the East.

There are a lot of questions surrounding both teams, but I can't see the Pistons possibly being worse than last year when we had so many issues with team chemistry and still finished .500...

Sheed was garbage last season, as was AI.

Stuckey/Gordon/RIP/Prince/CV will provide this team with ample scoring and we've got defense and rebounding with Brown/Wilcox/Wallace.

That said, Washington is 20 to 1 to win the east and Detroit is 25 to 1 so the "experts" think its more likely that Washington takes the conference.

I guess we'll have to see how things play out.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,007

Post#29 » by Snakebites » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Wizard fans are talking about Flip's willingness to use the bench.

Time to break out the legendary Flip season chart, zeebneeb!
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#30 » by princeofpalace » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Snakebites wrote:Wizard fans are talking about Flip's willingness to use the bench.

Time to break out the legendary Flip season chart, zeebneeb!

LOL- did they not watch Detroit for the past 3 seasons. Flip saying in interviews that he will use the bench, does not equate to him actually using the bench. They will see it soon.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#31 » by HeroicKennedy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:47 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I find it hilarious that Gilbert Arenas has somehow now become "injury prone" in the minds of everyone. He's had ONE serious injury that required microfracture surgery - one of the most difficult things to come back from. He missed most of two years and has had multiple procedures (which is not uncommon for players in his situation) but it's still only ONE injury. How you can take a player taking a while to return from a serious injury and somehow turn that into "injury prone" baffles me.

So you're basically admitting there's a good chance that Arenas won't be the same player he was.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Post#32 » by Wizardspride » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:59 pm

HeroicKennedy wrote:

So you're basically admitting there's a good chance that Arenas won't be the same player he was.

Not according to the players who have played against him in recent weeks.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#33 » by Cowology » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:15 pm

RTM wrote:http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=937649&p=20539833#p20539833

We're on the Wiz board.

I am to busy overrating my own team to care much about Wiz fans overrating their team. *shrug*

I just think it's funny that they see a problem with us having too many SG (Stuckey, Gordon, Rip), but they think Arenas is a superstar PG. Whatever lol
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 pm

HeroicKennedy wrote:

Wow. How you got that from my post is almost incomprehensible. Are you going to also use my post to scare people about "death panels"?

:crazy:
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#35 » by Cowology » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:54 pm

OMG, LyricalRico just said he was for death panels! That bastard isn't taking my GramGram away! GET HIM!
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#36 » by HeroicKennedy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Cowology wrote:OMG, LyricalRico just said he was for death panels! That bastard isn't taking my GramGram away! GET HIM!

He already took my GramGram! Bastard!
Choob
Lead Assistant
And1: 30

Post#37 » by Choob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Cowology wrote:OMG, LyricalRico just said he was for death panels! That bastard isn't taking my GramGram away! GET HIM!

truly a zeeb like post. Looks like Cow has already started hitting the sauce....
Cowology wrote:wow, Choob just owned this thread. The rest of you can go back to picking out belly button lint, or whatever it is you do in your free time: Choob is Master of the Universe!
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#38 » by Liqourish » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:46 pm

He's finally snapped..... and it's entertaining :D
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#39 » by HeroicKennedy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Liqourish wrote:

He's finally snapped..... and it's entertaining :D

I would like to take credit as the one who finally pushed him over the edge as a fellow crazy.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,186

Post#40 » by Dat2U » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:22 pm

Cowology wrote:I am to busy overrating my own team to care much about Wiz fans overrating their team. *shrug*

Bingo. This is one big pissing match. Of course Detroit fans think their team is better and Wizards fans feel the same about their team. I'm not going to compare the two but honestly I'm not impressed with what Dumars did this summer. Or what he's done the past two years. I think JD is losing his touch.

Hiring Curry as HC last year, trading Billups, re-upping Rip, signing Gordon who plays the same position as Rip, giving an all-offense, no defense player like CV a huge deal...

I've always liked Stuckey but have always thought of his as a scoring minded combo guard, not a PG. The center position is disaster area where a former Wizard reject and a washed up Big Ben are your best options.

I think Detroit will be competitive but exactly what is Dumars trying to accomplish with your roster?

And I won't even get into the head scratching move to hire Kuester as head coach.

Return to Detroit Pistons