Re: Dan Marino vs. Tom Brady 

Post#2 » by Celticsfan93 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:08 pm

Brady
Siem
Starter
And1: 5

Post#3 » by Siem » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm a Giants fan, but my fav.plyr of all time is Dan Marino.So i'll take him. I just feel if he had a running game and a decent defense in his prime he would have at least a ring or two. Brady Is a legend too, but I just think Marino was the best passer of all time and he was clutch also,so if he could've had some sort of defense he would have been unstoppable.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,294

Post#4 » by BBallFreak » Sun May 9, 2010 5:19 pm

Absolutely, and quite easily, Dan Marino...
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#5 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun May 9, 2010 9:27 pm

Brady very easily. Marino IMO one of the most overrated QB's of all-time.
CentralQB5
Pro Prospect
And1: 47

Post#6 » by CentralQB5 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:42 am

Dan the Man Marino all the way the only thing that Tom has over him is rings
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Oh is that it? Brady has proved he can put up huge numbers as well.
ZedgetRedd
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#8 » by ZedgetRedd » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 am

sunshinekids99 wrote:Oh is that it? Brady has proved he can put up huge numbers as well.

Yep.
Quote of the day: "I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another 5 years of life" - James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=2886

Bucks and Pats
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,186
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 28, 2010 4:16 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:Oh is that it? Brady has proved he can put up huge numbers as well.

And when he had to carry the team, he got as far as Dan did :dontknow: Tom has shown he can win titles when he's not asked to carry an offense with humongous numbers.

I can't imagine what Dan's numbers would look like in his 48 TD year if you throw RAndy Moss into the mix.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:03 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:

And when he had to carry the team, he got as far as Dan did :dontknow: Tom has shown he can win titles when he's not asked to carry an offense with humongous numbers.

I can't imagine what Dan's numbers would look like in his 48 TD year if you throw RAndy Moss into the mix.

He got as far as Marino did? What the hell are you talking about? Marino only won 2 playoff games in the same season once in his overrated career. 8-10 playoff record. Marino is a classic regular season player. The one Super Bowl that Marino did make it to, he took a team that made it two years before. I don't see why people still buy that this guy was some sort of out of this world QB.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#11 » by Icness » Wed Jun 2, 2010 2:31 pm

Dan Marino is easily the most overrated sporting entity in American pro sports history.

Consider this:
The year before Marino, the Dolphins were in the Super Bowl with a career backup named David Woodley, a defense that ranked 5th and featured 4 Pro Bowlers and 3 DROYs over the last 5 years, and Don Shula as coach. Marino got them back to just one other Super Bowl, which they lost--and that was his great season.

Marino simply threw the ball a whole lot more than anyone else, that's why his numbers looked so awesome. He averaged almost 7 attempts per game more than any other QB over the period 1985-90. His QB rating+ (comparative to league average) ranks 20th, though to be fair he's way ahead of most of his contemporaries from the 80s. Brady is 14th. The closest career comparisons in terms of YPA+, QB Rating+, and Completion % to Marino are Jeff Garcia, Jim Zorn, and Daunte Culpepper--not exactly a list of all-time greatness. He actually ranks BELOW Mark Brunell in those combined metrics, and Brunell had a better playoff record (5-5) to boot.

As I've always said about Marino: if I need one guy to throw one pass, he's no lower than 2nd on my list. But there's a hell of a lot more to being a great QB than just being able to throw the ball great--and Marino was not good at much else other than throwing with that awesome release and velocity. He's the Stephon Marbury of the NFL--loads of great numbers but they're amazingly empty.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,875

Post#12 » by Roger Murdock » Sun Jun 6, 2010 5:27 pm

Icness wrote:Dan Marino is easily the most overrated sporting entity in American pro sports history.

Consider this:
The year before Marino, the Dolphins were in the Super Bowl with a career backup named David Woodley, a defense that ranked 5th and featured 4 Pro Bowlers and 3 DROYs over the last 5 years, and Don Shula as coach. Marino got them back to just one other Super Bowl, which they lost--and that was his great season.

Marino simply threw the ball a whole lot more than anyone else, that's why his numbers looked so awesome. He averaged almost 7 attempts per game more than any other QB over the period 1985-90. His QB rating+ (comparative to league average) ranks 20th, though to be fair he's way ahead of most of his contemporaries from the 80s. Brady is 14th. The closest career comparisons in terms of YPA+, QB Rating+, and Completion % to Marino are Jeff Garcia, Jim Zorn, and Daunte Culpepper--not exactly a list of all-time greatness. He actually ranks BELOW Mark Brunell in those combined metrics, and Brunell had a better playoff record (5-5) to boot.

As I've always said about Marino: if I need one guy to throw one pass, he's no lower than 2nd on my list. But there's a hell of a lot more to being a great QB than just being able to throw the ball great--and Marino was not good at much else other than throwing with that awesome release and velocity. He's the Stephon Marbury of the NFL--loads of great numbers but they're amazingly empty.

I consider 8-10 a better post season record than 5-5
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:22 pm

8-10 is better than 5-5. Care to explain how you got to that one Einstein?
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,875

Post#14 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:54 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:8-10 is better than 5-5. Care to explain how you got to that one Einstein?

I would rather make the post season 10 times than 5.
arkhimal
Junior
And1: 1

Post#15 » by arkhimal » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:37 pm

i´ll take Marino
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#16 » by wetsthebed » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Brady.
Siem
Starter
And1: 5

Post#17 » by Siem » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:45 am

I dont mind if some1 picks Brady,but to say Marino is overrated......smh. I put it this way. Everytime Brady won a ring, he had a great defense,if not great, he had Bellichek and great defensive schemes,Brady could put up 20 pts and win games on a regular basis. He could run plays just to gain field position,and punt the ball no problem. His running games arent that great,but they can run the ball to keep the Defense honest....Now Marino, had 1 1,000 yd.rusher his entire career and he was past his prime,His defense's were always in the bottom half of the league. It's much more difficult to know for your team to win your going to have to gun sling every single game,You have no other choice.I'm not saying he never won low scoring games,Im just speaking for the most part. You have to make something happen.and once the 90's hit,he didnt have legit wr's either,So you got the best arugably the best passer ever,with no running game,no wr's(OJ Mcduffie?), and No Defense,...Shame on the Orginzation. In no way is Marino Over-rated. Peyton Manning for many years was in a similar situation as Marino but atleast he had a running game.You hear it all the time,Teams that win championships can beat you in more than one way.The Miami Dolphins could not.

Return to Player Comparisons