Image Image Image Image

UPDATE: Sheet Out of (way more) Luck!

2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#41 » by 2poor » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:25 pm

Cubs farm system is loaded with pitchers, hitters, not sure.

(see: Zambrano, Carlos, Marmol, Carlos, Hill, Rich, the list goes on)

You act as if the Cubs go out every year and buy players, when some of the most important guys are either from our farm system, or were acquired as a result of prospects in our farm system (Ramirez, Lee).

Patterson was a casualty of poor development and rushing him to the bigs, I don't think he was overhyped at all, and he still figures to be a pretty solid MLB'er if he can ever get his head on straight (and out of BAL).

Things went south for him after he blew out his knee in 2003; up to that point he was putting up All-Star numbers.

But I will agree that the disparity in payrolls makes things a bit unfair at times, hasn't really stopped teams with small payrolls from still competing though. Lately, it seems to me like the more money the Yankees spend, the worse they get.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 585

Post#42 » by Howling Mad » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:28 pm

2poor wrote:the more money the Yankees spend, the worse they get.

:rofl:

I've been telling my fellow Mets fans this for a couple years now. I think Boston fans feel that much better when they do beat the Yankees 'cause their payroll is big but not Yankee big.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#43 » by GYBE » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 pm

Soriano is the only really good player we've "bought."

DeRosa is the only other FA that's been above-average, and anyone could've afforded him.

Plus, our struggling friends to the south actually spend more.

Cubs $99,937,000

White Sox $109,680,167

8)
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 585

Post#44 » by Howling Mad » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:45 pm

ME says wrote:I've been telling my fellow Mets fans this for a couple years now. I think Boston fans feel that much better when they do beat the Yankees 'cause their payroll is big but not Yankee big.

Did I just contradict myself here? lol anyways ya guys know what I meant.

GYBE wrote:Cubs $99,937,000

White Sox $109,680,167

Good call GYBE. That makes us that much better!
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,799

Post#45 » by Ayt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:00 pm

SportsWorld wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I didn't see it.
What is Gallardo's best pitch?

Think a young Prior. Pinpoint fastball that explodes on hitters. Nasty breaking ball he can throw anywhere from 76-84. Gallardo even has a great change, which Prior didn't really have. Like Prior, he understands how to pitch and isn't just a good arm out there.

Prior is one of my all-time favorite pitchers. It was great watching such a young guy pitch like a stud. I'm pissed his career got destroyed because I tried to watch as many games of his that I could.

Return to Chicago Cubs