Steven Jackson vs Brian Westbrook

The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Steven Jackson vs Brian Westbrook 

Post#1 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:15 am

Who ya got...this one was a heated debate at another forum.

I have Steven Jackson.

He missed 5 game this season 3 of his starting OLs were placed on injured reserve. Alex Barron switched positions and had the second most penalties only to Robert Gallery this season and Todd Steusie missed most of the season.

Add on Frerrote and Berlin were playing QB most of the time AND please don't say Holt and Bruce are the reason for there success. Both are declining and are not deep threats. So he does face 7 or 8 in the box.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#2 » by J.Kim » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:13 pm

Brian Westbrook.

He was, by far, the best overall running back in the league this season.
And despite injuries, he's always been consistent in his play.
I like the extra dimension that he brings as a pretty good receiver.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#3 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:21 pm

The only thing Jackson has on Westbrook is age.

If it weren't for his late start (he wasn't a feature back until 25) and Andy Reid's odd pass-wacky offenses of yesteryear, Westbrook would have some pretty heady counting stats to go with his ridiculously freakish athleticism.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#4 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:39 am

You say that Westbrook has "ridiculously freakish athleticism" what about SJaxs unheard of combo of size, power, and speed?
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#5 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:51 pm

What about it?
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#6 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:08 pm

thats a rarer combination than to be ridiculously athletic.

Westbrook has a half decent oline and a mobile qb. Jackson has had an injury riddled OLine with Pace being on the IR for both his starting seasons and 3 of 5 OLs were on teh IR most of the year this year. Steussie missed most of the season and returned for like the final game. Alex Barron who is ok as a run blocking RT was switched back to LT for 5 games.....thats what SJax has had to deal with.

And before you mention that Westbrook doesnt have the luxury of playing with 2 HOF caliber recievers remember that Torry and Ike are declining and are no longer deep threats. Jackson sees 7 or 8 in the box every time.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#7 » by FakeScreenName123 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:29 pm

Westbrook.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#8 » by hermes » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:03 pm

its really close because last year jackson caught a lot of balls out of the backfiled too, something like 90recptions

westbrook is the most versitale back in the league

i'll take westbrook until sjax has another couple years like 2006
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#9 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:05 pm

hermes wrote:its really close because last year jackson caught a lot of balls out of the backfiled too, something like 90recptions

westbrook is the most versitale back in the league

i'll take westbrook until sjax has another couple years like 2006

Funny SJax has more 1,000 yard rushing seasons and he has played without Pace blocking for him for 2 straight years. He has had so many different OLine players it is not funny.

SJax has more tds than Westbrook even though Westbrook has played 4 more years than Jackson.

In terms of recieving when they both had 90 catches guess who had more yards? No it is not Westbrook it is Steven Jackson.

Want to change your minds now?

3 out of 5 OLine starters were placed on the IR....Steussie missed most of the year and so that 9 different players that played offensive line for the rams. And there would probably be more.

I don't see why you say Westbrook is better. He has a better Oline and mobile qb. Before you say SJax has 2 HOF recievers Holt and Bruce are not what they were. They are not deep threats.
Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Elway=GOAT » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:06 am

Stephen Jackson, it is weird how things change from year to year. Stephen Jackson, in the same offense Westbrook player in, and same players puts up better numbers, and the Eagles are in the playoffs.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#11 » by J.Kim » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:43 pm

Elway=GOAT wrote:Stephen Jackson, it is weird how things change from year to year. Stephen Jackson, in the same offense Westbrook player in, and same players puts up better numbers, and the Eagles are in the playoffs.

Stephen Jackson and Brian Westbrook don't play in a similar offense. In Mike Martz's offense, the philosophy was more conducive to a feature back seeing much of the carries. On the other hand, in Andy Reid's offense, you can see, historically, that he prefers to use more of a two-back scheme.
I haven't quite pinpointed on the reason why Reid's offense requires a two-back scheme (I'm assuming since Backs are put out into routes more often, and hence wear out faster over the course of the game), but you can see that Brian Westbrook wasn't quite given a "feature back" tag until Andy Reid went bizzarro this year, and ran a bit more, and moved more to a "feature back" offense.
Westbrook wasn't given all the opportunity to succeed, because of lack of playing time and injuries... But, he always showed flashes of brilliance when he played.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#12 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:49 pm

who is stephen jackson? I thought he played in the NBA.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#13 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:46 am

"Steven"
Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Elway=GOAT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:56 am

J.Kim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Stephen Jackson and Brian Westbrook don't play in a similar offense. In Mike Martz's offense, the philosophy was more conducive to a feature back seeing much of the carries. On the other hand, in Andy Reid's offense, you can see, historically, that he prefers to use more of a two-back scheme.
I haven't quite pinpointed on the reason why Reid's offense requires a two-back scheme (I'm assuming since Backs are put out into routes more often, and hence wear out faster over the course of the game), but you can see that Brian Westbrook wasn't quite given a "feature back" tag until Andy Reid went bizzarro this year, and ran a bit more, and moved more to a "feature back" offense.
Westbrook wasn't given all the opportunity to succeed, because of lack of playing time and injuries... But, he always showed flashes of brilliance when he played.

Sorry, that was another rush job of a post, because most of my post's come at work. What I was saying is, not that they play similar offenses. But if you put Jackson(fully healthy) in the eagles system, he is more productive than Westbrook. I still stand by that statement. I just think he is superior in almost every aspect of the running back position, Westbrook does play better special teams though.

Return to Player Comparisons