Moderator: JaysRule15

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Sports Illustrated Season Predictions 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:17 pm

AL Disappointing Team

Blue Jays. A good team, but they don't have much room for error, not with a thin rotation, an underwhelming middle infield, an overly right-handed lineup and the risk that Frank Thomas will stay healthy enough to hit 30 homers for a second straight year -- something he hasn't done in a decade.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... ons/2.html

Pretty harsh prediction to read so early in the season. Do you agree that we'll be the most disappointing team in the AL
jeffyao105
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by jeffyao105 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:23 pm

well... he does have some good points about this club...

bearing injuries this team could also be the most exciting to watch...

i really wished that we signed a big name pitcher instead of thomas during the summer tho....
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#3 » by OldNo7 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:45 pm

I dont agree we will be the most disappointing, but some of his points have merit (thin rotation, low margin of error, overly right-handed lineup, Thomas' health concerns). The fact that all experts are still picking NY and BOS ahead of us, we would have to finish below Baltimore to be considered a disappointment around the league IMO.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Ryanz24
Rookie

Post#4 » by Ryanz24 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:32 am

Meh I prefer to be the underdog - has worked for the raps...
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Re: Sports Illustrated Season Predictions 

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:18 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
AL Disappointing Team

Blue Jays. A good team, but they don't have much room for error, not with a thin rotation, an underwhelming middle infield, an overly right-handed lineup and the risk that Frank Thomas will stay healthy enough to hit 30 homers for a second straight year -- something he hasn't done in a decade.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... ons/2.html

Pretty harsh prediction to read so early in the season. Do you agree that we'll be the most disappointing team in the AL

I think that they're bang on with the comment I bolded. Last year's team definitely had a lot more depth.

The way I see it, everything has to go just right for the Jays to make a playoff run with Boston and NY having stronger deeper teams that can spend their way out of any speedbumps they might run into during the season.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
2009NBAChamps
Rookie
And1: 42

Post#6 » by 2009NBAChamps » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:46 pm

AL Most Underrated
2006: Jorge Cantu, Devil Rays. Should have been in the overrated column: went from 117 RBI to 62 RBI to not being able to make the Devil Rays this year.
2007: Lyle Overbay, Blue Jays. Came close to 50 doubles and 100 RBIs last season.

Well at least we know he doesn't hate the jays... but yea personally i wouldn't put too much merit on what this guy says .... I mean what he says is true but he doesn't really do much analysis and/or reading in to the situations.... most of his predictions for individual awards are repeat winners from last year and pretty similar trend with the teams....
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#7 » by aligator » Mon Apr 9, 2007 1:47 pm

No, I don't think we will be the most disappointing team in the AL though it will be tough to make the playoffs as many are expecting. In the end, it comes down to pitching. Burnett must hurl as he did last September for the majority of starts and someone must come forward that we are not expecting at this moment. There is a reasonable chance that this may happen.

I feel NY and Boston have problems as well. The Yankee pitching is well below average and the Boston lineup is not nearly as scary as it was only 2 years ago. Like the Jays, neither of these teams can survive significant injury. The wildcard will likely come from the Central.
trevc3
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by trevc3 » Mon Apr 9, 2007 4:24 pm

I have to agree that we have the potential to be disappointing.

But I do not expect it. I think this team is good enough to win 92 games. I hope that's enough to be playing when it matters.
Deadpool_X
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#9 » by Deadpool_X » Mon Apr 9, 2007 7:03 pm

I think there is talent on the roster, but injuries will be the death of the team.

Our rotation is weak, and our relievers are hardly anything to fear.

But we do at least have a team with talent in the right spots, example our 1 and 2 pitchers, our closer, and a whole lot of offence. Baring any injuries, to these positions we can battle with our 3, 4, 5 pitchers because of our offence, and pretty good defence.

We might barley get into the playoffs...
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#10 » by aligator » Mon Apr 9, 2007 8:51 pm

My prediction, which I first made to a friend 3 weeks ago, is that the Tigers will be the greatest disappointment in the AL.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays