ImageImageImageImage

The Manny Ramirez Thread

FlightNo.23
Senior
And1: 0

The Manny Ramirez Thread 

Post#1 » by FlightNo.23 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 6:43 pm

He's got two years left on his contract (another 2-year, $40 million Team Option) and according to him:

"I got two years left, and that's it. That's the end of the story. I'm going to move on. I'm going to play, probably somewhere else," Ramirez said. "But don't worry. I'm going to be fine here. I'm not going to leave $35 million on the table." (Boston Herald)

Aside from that he's been in trade talks for a very long time; most recently I heard of him or Ichiro :nonono:

I would hate to see him go...I really don't know why Boston would try trading him; the Ramirez-Ortiz 3-4 is siick. Money? They spent $50 million to bid on Dice-K!
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:10 pm

Despite the seemingly ridiculously-priced contract, Manny has actually been worth more than what he
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Chach » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:13 pm

I've done with the pissing and moaning and trade talk. Play for two years and that will be it. It took me six years to finally come around to not giving a **** about Manny but I finally reached it. mahalo
~Chach~
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:18 pm

Chach, the hero of illogical Manny trades, say it isn
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Chach » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:37 pm

I finally drank the Kool-Aid. In my youth, I was of the frame of mind that chemistry actually mattered. Perhaps I'm just becoming more cynical but I don't really care. I think on the right team, it still matters, but most teams it really doesn't. The sad thing is Manny is probably at his highest value NOW because of the short length left on the contract. mahalo
~Chach~
Rainmaker
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Rainmaker » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:00 pm

If he produces while he's under contract with my Red Sox, I just really don't give a damn what he says or does 2 years from now.
God is a Red Sox fan
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#7 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:01 pm

Well, say they don't pick up the options and they put Pena in LF. Now they have 20 million extra dollars to work with in theory. What do they do with it and will the end result of the team be better than if they just picked up Manny's options?

Like, say A-Rod opts out, do you give him a 5 year 100 million dollar contract or whatever it'll cost and say bye-bye to Manny? I'd say yes.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:03 pm

Right now ARod is the only other option that could put up guaranteed similar production. If he suddenly becomes available, yeah I do that.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:19 pm

There is also this guy: http://japanesebaseball.com/players/pla ... yerID=1064

He's a free agent after this year and has similar stats as Hideki Matsui in the same league. I wonder if he'll head stateside.

Also Adam Dunn, Jermaine Dye and Brad Wilkerson are Free Agents.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:25 pm

Dye
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:56 pm

Dunn is really athletic, though. Plus he'd be a DH anyway as the LF in Boston.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Chach » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:14 pm

It's not the abilities that worry me, it's the old man skill set that does. Those players generally don't age gracefully. He may be the one who bucks the trend and I'd certainly love to see him in Boston but I wouldn't want to lock him up long term. What ever happend to him playing first? mahalo
~Chach~
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:17 pm

No, they don't age well because they aren't athletic like Dunn.

Return to Boston Red Sox