Random draft notes

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Random draft notes 

Post#41 » by Icness » Sat Mar 3, 2012 3:26 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:How does Arizona WR and Nick Foles' favorite target Juron Criner fit in? He had a much better JR year than SR year and his combine wasn't the most impressive, but I always felt he was a good physical receiver and a disciplined, if not perfect, route runner.

Also, Ic, would you mind telling us about players who are good interviews and players who are awful interviews? You can call the divisions Robert Griffin III and Vontaze Burfict :)

I like Criner in the midst of a large group of receivers that will go in the 45-80 overall range, a group that includes as many as 12 guys. I actually talked to him some during Senior Bowl media night and he talked about how different the defenses played him in 2011 and how it took him time to adjust within the confines of the offense. He's one of those guys that could be a better pro than collegian.

RG3 interviews:
--Kirk Cousins, but we had a lot of common ground (I reffed him in HS) so it was easy to chat
--Ryan Tannehill, smart guy that projects confidence without cockiness
--Melvin Ingram, quiet but thoughtful
--Marquise Maze, very self-aware and funny. He'd fit right in on the OT board here.
--Dwight Bill Bentley, who made it a running joke which name he preferred to be called. Dude knows his football.
--Scott Solomon,DE from Rice who will be a 6th-7th rounder. Bright dude.
--Emmanuel Acho, a lot like his brother, an absolute pleasure to converse with.

Burfict interviews:
--Mike Brewster, monotone cliche regurgitator
--Jayron Hosley, wasn't my experience but a scout told me Hosley told him in the course of the same conversation that he was better in man, then better in zone, then really more comfortable playing off man. Make up your mind dude, is he gonna sh** or is he gonna kill us?
--Jack Crawford, smart enough guy but I always got the feeling he would rather snap my neck than talk to me. I don't get that a lot, certainly not from dudes.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#42 » by Icness » Sat Mar 3, 2012 3:29 pm

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0tYTzHU9w[/youtube]

My Anatomy teacher just sent me this video diagramming Peyton Manning's surgery.

What it doesn't show is the muscles getting cut so that the surgeon get to the spine. Those muscles need to get healed and strengthen before he can get back to playing at an NFL level. IIRC, that's where Peyton is now.

That's cool. Supposedly some video has been leaked of Peyton throwing at Duke. Remember how I said that if he were truly close to ready we'd see some "leaked" video... 8-)
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#43 » by studcrackers » Sat Mar 3, 2012 7:37 pm

criner was also set back by that apendectomy he had early in the season. i remember he had to miss the game vs oklahoma state to begin the season
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#44 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Mar 4, 2012 5:11 pm

Icness wrote:That's cool. Supposedly some video has been leaked of Peyton throwing at Duke. Remember how I said that if he were truly close to ready we'd see some "leaked" video... 8-)

Allegedly...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOVAiFAmLc4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#45 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 5:53 pm

Cowboys aren't serious about tagging Spencer are they??
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#46 » by Icness » Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:48 pm

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Cowboys aren't serious about tagging Spencer are they??

They don't have anyone else to use it on, they don't really want him to leave but they also don't want to commit big $$ long-term to a guy as inconsistent as Spencer. The tag makes sense at that level, plus his agent knows it's the best deal he's likely to get coming off the year he had.

Is he worth it? Hell no.

Lions are working overtime to get a long-term deal done with Avril but it doesn't sound promising.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,184
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#47 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 4, 2012 8:07 pm

I'd still take Floyd over Blackmon as a player.

Alshon being <6'3 wasn't surprising, I said repeatedly that I thought he was closer to 6'2 than 6'4. Hope he can get his career back on track.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,184
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#48 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 4, 2012 8:07 pm

I'd still take Floyd over Blackmon as a player.

Alshon being <6'3 wasn't surprising, I said repeatedly that I thought he was closer to 6'2 than 6'4. Hope he can get his career back on track.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#49 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:45 pm

Icness wrote:

They don't have anyone else to use it on, they don't really want him to leave but they also don't want to commit big $$ long-term to a guy as inconsistent as Spencer. The tag makes sense at that level, plus his agent knows it's the best deal he's likely to get coming off the year he had.

Is he worth it? Hell no.

Lions are working overtime to get a long-term deal done with Avril but it doesn't sound promising.

JJ isn't going hard at Nicks/Carr in FA?? Thought he'd want to save his cap for some big signings rather than a mediocre OLB.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#50 » by studcrackers » Mon Mar 5, 2012 5:53 am

they'll still have enough money to spend big on a player or 2. retaining spencer isnt gonna change that. sadly, spencers the best option at the moment, he's still good against the run and in pass coverage it's just he cant sack the qb w/any consistency (still gets a decent amount of qb pressures). as i said, unless you wanna spend a pick on upshaw or ingram (which i wouldnt hate) he's better than victor butler
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#51 » by catalyst » Mon Mar 5, 2012 8:41 pm

Did so today
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#52 » by Icness » Tue Mar 6, 2012 1:04 pm

If you like to make your own mock drafts...

--Riley Reiff is not a top 10 pick. Think Gabe Carimi last year.
--Josh Robinson is a top 50 pick. Some draftniks are insistent he's a first rounder but I don't buy that. Yet.
--no tight ends are going to sniff the top 30. I talked to one front office person who believes the first tight end (Orson Charles on their board) will last to the 50s. Seems pessimistic to me, but the 30s seem the first plausible time.
--Stephen Hill is a top 40 pick. A different team told me they'd be "very surprised" if Hill lasts past pick #33, be it the Rams or someone trading in to get him
--the guy who talked to me about Hill believes both Melvin Ingram and Fletcher Cox are top 10 picks and will go ahead of Coples. Not sure I buy that either but both Ingram and Cox will be gone by 15. I still think Coples goes top 10.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,875

Post#53 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Mar 7, 2012 12:03 am

Where do you rank Nick Perry among your defensive line prospects? I'm super high on him, I don't think theres anyone I would rank over him in the draft besides Luck and RG3.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#54 » by Icness » Wed Mar 7, 2012 4:03 am

Roger Murdock wrote:Where do you rank Nick Perry among your defensive line prospects? I'm super high on him, I don't think theres anyone I would rank over him in the draft besides Luck and RG3.

He's not in my top 5 at OLB or DE. I'm not a fan, he looks so much like Vernon Gholston 2.0 to me.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#55 » by Icness » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:29 am

Haven't put anything in here for a while...

--much to the dismay of pretty much everyone, Brock Osweiler is indeed threatening Brandon Weeden to be the 4th QB off the board. I actually don't think he is as awful as most seem to but anything over #50 overall is a reach. I'd put it at 70% he doesn't last that long. He's a project and will be taken by a team that doesn't need him right away.

--biggest divide in the draftnik world is Chris Polk. I know people that have him as a 1st round talent and think he's Matt Forte or Clinton Portis. I do not share that opinion, he's my #9 RB and that's only because the next few guys all have issues that trouble me.

--a couple of smaller school guys that you should know: Corey White, DB, Samford and Rodney Austin, C, Elon. White is going to make a pretty good #3 safety and special teamer a la Haruki Nakamura, not quick enough to play corner but can really hit and play physical. Austin is a phone booth blocker but he squats 775 and has one of the best initial punches I've seen in years. Both are probably 7th rounders but White could bubble into the 6th.

--top 4 corners that are going to come off the board, in order: Claiborne, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, Boykin. The only variable is if Boykin's injury scares teams off, then it will be Josh Robinson or Trumaine Johnson. Neither are worthy of that lofty status right now but both have very good long-term potential/ They are both what I call second-coach guys, players that get drafted too high but wind up being strong players for the second coach they play for, be it the drafting team or somewhere else.

--Vontaze Burfict appears undraftable. Personally I would take a late flier on him but I don't see that happening.

--I'm putting up several scouting reports at nflsfuture.com (mainly DBs) and I'll have a mock there later this week that will be quite different from the one I post here. Shameless self-promotion but the people behind that site are the people behind the USA Today draft guide, a publication which yours truly will be contributing to next year. Did I mention my lack of shame?
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#56 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:49 am

Icness wrote:Haven't put anything in here for a while...

--much to the dismay of pretty much everyone, Brock Osweiler is indeed threatening Brandon Weeden to be the 4th QB off the board. I actually don't think he is as awful as most seem to but anything over #50 overall is a reach. I'd put it at 70% he doesn't last that long. He's a project and will be taken by a team that doesn't need him right away.

--biggest divide in the draftnik world is Chris Polk. I know people that have him as a 1st round talent and think he's Matt Forte or Clinton Portis. I do not share that opinion, he's my #9 RB and that's only because the next few guys all have issues that trouble me.

--a couple of smaller school guys that you should know: Corey White, DB, Samford and Rodney Austin, C, Elon. White is going to make a pretty good #3 safety and special teamer a la Haruki Nakamura, not quick enough to play corner but can really hit and play physical. Austin is a phone booth blocker but he squats 775 and has one of the best initial punches I've seen in years. Both are probably 7th rounders but White could bubble into the 6th.

--top 4 corners that are going to come off the board, in order: Claiborne, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, Boykin. The only variable is if Boykin's injury scares teams off, then it will be Josh Robinson or Trumaine Johnson. Neither are worthy of that lofty status right now but both have very good long-term potential/ They are both what I call second-coach guys, players that get drafted too high but wind up being strong players for the second coach they play for, be it the drafting team or somewhere else.

--Vontaze Burfict appears undraftable. Personally I would take a late flier on him but I don't see that happening.

--I'm putting up several scouting reports at nflsfuture.com (mainly DBs) and I'll have a mock there later this week that will be quite different from the one I post here. Shameless self-promotion but the people behind that site are the people behind the USA Today draft guide, a publication which yours truly will be contributing to next year. Did I mention my lack of shame?

I probably didn't watch enough Georgia, but everytime I watched Boykin he looked awful. I know he was nicked up, and that may have affected his performance, but he looked awful. TBH, I thought he was viewed as a Project WR/Return Guy.

What's the issue with Polk, low ceilling, too much mileage?

Congratulations on making USA Today. That's' huge.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#57 » by hermes » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 am

Icness wrote:If you like to make your own mock drafts...

--Riley Reiff is not a top 10 pick. Think Gabe Carimi last year.

i feel like iowa lineman always seem to get overrated. they are all really solid players and they can churn out some really good ones but there always seems to be one who will sneak up the draft board but doesn't really seem to deserve it

do teams just really value quality lineman enough to jump on them as soon as they can?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#58 » by Icness » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I've said it since October, Riley Reiff is Jeff Backus 2.0. He'll be a dependable but not great starter for a decade, better run blocker than pass protector, can handle power off the edge but speed is a killer. My fellow Lions fans tend to hate on Backus too much, but he's never been more than about the 12th best LT in the league.

I watched some more Iowa last week (specifically Nebraska and Iowa State) and Reiff was a little better than I graded him last month. A little better at moving in space and recovering when he gets beat initially. First rounder, better than Bulaga was but not a guy I would be comfortable taking in the top 20.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#59 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Icness wrote:I've said it since October, Riley Reiff is Jeff Backus 2.0. He'll be a dependable but not great starter for a decade, better run blocker than pass protector, can handle power off the edge but speed is a killer. My fellow Lions fans tend to hate on Backus too much, but he's never been more than about the 12th best LT in the league.

I watched some more Iowa last week (specifically Nebraska and Iowa State) and Reiff was a little better than I graded him last month. A little better at moving in space and recovering when he gets beat initially. First rounder, better than Bulaga was but not a guy I would be comfortable taking in the top 20.

You really hate Bulaga.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#60 » by Icness » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:21 am

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:
Icness wrote:I've said it since October, Riley Reiff is Jeff Backus 2.0. He'll be a dependable but not great starter for a decade, better run blocker than pass protector, can handle power off the edge but speed is a killer. My fellow Lions fans tend to hate on Backus too much, but he's never been more than about the 12th best LT in the league.

You really hate Bulaga.

No. I just never bought in to him being great. He's an average starting RT that might effort his way to one Pro Bowl in his 12 year career. That's a 3rd round pick to me, nothing more. Had a 3rd round grade on him and little I've seen has made me think any differently.

Return to NFL Draft