2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#561 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Local kid Shawn Loiseau is starting to get some hype around here. What's his ceiling, UDFA or could he actually get drafted?
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#562 » by JaxMagic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Chances Blackmon falls to the Jags and actually take him?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#563 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Mister Misunderstood, Vontaze Burfict. Does an ESPN spotlight article help someone in this case?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/ ... n-magazine
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#564 » by Pharmcat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 pm

is this the year the Pats actually use their higher picks or will they continue to trade back like they always seem to do?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,184
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#565 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 pm

They're going to use one and trade one every year until they land a top 5 pick, or trade up their two to draft Brady's replacement.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#566 » by ohara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:25 am

As a Panther fan, a month ago I was asking myself "Who is this Fletcher Cox" someone has us slated to take at #9? Now, I am praying he is still there at #9, and that Marty Hurney does NOT try to find a Peppers replacement in Coples.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,874

Post#567 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:40 am

Jeff- Have you ever seen a player have a worse year in terms of draft stock than Vontaze Burflict?

He was hyped as a potential once every 5 years linebacker a year ago. Then he sucked it up, drawing tons of personal fouls, showing horrible instincts, and even getting benched at times. But he was an insane athlete, so he declared for the draft, and tested as the worst athlete at the entire combine. Then he tests positive for drugs before the draft......

Its unreal...
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#568 » by Pharmcat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:06 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:They're going to use one and trade one every year until they land a top 5 pick, or trade up their two to draft Brady's replacement.

didnt they draft a QB recently to groom under brady?
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#569 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Local kid Shawn Loiseau is starting to get some hype around here. What's his ceiling, UDFA or could he actually get drafted?

6th-7th round pick. Had a very nice Shrine Game week and he chose a good agent. Unabashed hitter with facemask-breaking power, just don't ask him to do too much. Poor man's Rey Maualuga in the little I saw.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#570 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 am

JaxMagic wrote:Chances Blackmon falls to the Jags and actually take him?

VERY good. If they indeed want to pull the trigger on him there. If Claiborne goes 3, Blackmon definitely falls to 7 barring trade. JAX might risk it and deal back and pick up Blackmon or Floyd a few spots later.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#571 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 am

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
Icness wrote:
snazel wrote:Actually I was hearing Cowboys and Eagles either made offers or are very intersted in 4.....not sure where the Jets rumor started / came from.

Eagles moving up to 6 to get Mark Barron is the hot rumor du juor.

Would they really need to move up that far? And if they could get to six, wouldn't they be better off taking the top DE/DT there?

Well that's what I would do but I'm not running the Eagles 8-)

IMO the Eagles are playing up their interest to force Dallas to trade up. And they might. Almost nobody I know or follow on Twitter thinks the Eagles are picking at 15. They are one of the great mysteries tomorrow night.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#572 » by Susan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:17 am

Who should I be following on Twitter (besides you of course)?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#573 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:19 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Mister Misunderstood, Vontaze Burfict. Does an ESPN spotlight article help someone in this case?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/ ... n-magazine

Jeff- Have you ever seen a player have a worse year in terms of draft stock than Vontaze Burflict?

He was hyped as a potential once every 5 years linebacker a year ago. Then he sucked it up, drawing tons of personal fouls, showing horrible instincts, and even getting benched at times. But he was an insane athlete, so he declared for the draft, and tested as the worst athlete at the entire combine. Then he tests positive for drugs before the draft......

Its unreal...

The thing that kills him more than the failed drug tests, the personal fouls, and the horribly uninstinctive play on the field was how badly out of shape he was. He gained a lot of weight but lost quite a bit of strength. That equals laziness, and that is the biggest sin in the eyes of NFL coaches.

He's completely undraftable. I've talked to people actively involved in the drafting process with probably half the teams in the league and there's not one of those teams that will even consider drafting him.

Very sad story. I know it's en vogue to pile on and play up the dramatic fall, but I honestly feel for the young man. It's his own fault, but having to deal with that has got to be soul crushing and that's very hard to work through in life. Look at Ryan Leaf or Charles Rogers...and they actually got paid once. I hate to see that.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#574 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:23 am

Pharmcat wrote:is this the year the Pats actually use their higher picks or will they continue to trade back like they always seem to do?

I doubt they trade up far, but if Upshaw or McClellin are still around after about 22 I could see them maneuvering up. I strongly suspect they will trade out of 31 and pounce on Bruce Irvin a little later. And yes, I'm aware that's two pass rushers back to back. They do that EVERY year in the draft, it's Belichick's way to do a dramatic positional overhaul.

Regarding their QBs, wouldn't surprise me if they deal Brian Hoyer for a late pick. I can't see them dealing Ryan Mallet this year unless it's a net gain of draft position from where they got him a year ago.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#575 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 am

Final question from me during this process.

As someone who has routinely watched ESPN for the draft, should I finally make the switch to NFL network? I personally enjoy when Kiper and McShay argue over every player usually, it entertains me. However the past few years now Ive seen people say that the NFL network is way better.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#576 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:39 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Final question from me during this process.

As someone who has routinely watched ESPN for the draft, should I finally make the switch to NFL network? I personally enjoy when Kiper and McShay argue over every player usually, it entertains me. However the past few years now Ive seen people say that the NFL network is way better.

I like Mel Kiper quite a bit and I find him entertaining as well. Mayock is the rising star the way McShay was about 3 years ago and look what's happened with him, he's now a tool (using that term literally BTW). IMO the NFL Network people tend to take themselves too seriously save Mayock and Eisen, but there is a lot of opinions that are worth considering there.

If you are really looking for expert draft analysis and player breakdowns, try Sirius NFL Radio. It's worth the monthly subscription just for that channel, especially Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#577 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 am

Sent in final mock, 3 rounds of fun. Should be up by the time I wake up tomorrow. Done for the night, I'll be online most of the first three rounds if y'all want to hang out.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,456

Post#578 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:08 am

Hey Jeff, who do you like better, Dre Kirkpatrick or Stephen Gilmore?

Also can you give me a current NFL player comparison for both?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#579 » by Icness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:41 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Hey Jeff, who do you like better, Dre Kirkpatrick or Stephen Gilmore?

Also can you give me a current NFL player comparison for both?

I prefer Kirkpatrick. Better field awareness and more consistent.

Kirkpatrick has some Joe Haden to him, but he can get real physical if needed like a Leon Hall. Gilmore fashions himself in the Champ Bailey mold but he's not as natural in coverage.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#580 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Bruce Irvin? Iceness - what are you doing to me man? A month ago I was excited about the Bears taking him in the third round, now you and Kiper have him as a late first / early second.

Does he have enough natural talent to come in on third downs and wreak havoc? Is this the Dan Bazuin pick all over again?

Would Phil Emery take that kind of risk in his very first draft as a GM?
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston

Return to NFL Draft