The Draft Thread

Moderator: studcrackers

Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,818

Re: The Draft Thread 

Post#721 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Da Schwab wrote:Brock Osweiler says "Ya know" more than any person ever. He sounds like an idiot.

He seems like a genuinely good kid and real excited to play though.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#722 » by Jaruff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:Brock Osweiler says "Ya know" more than any person ever. He sounds like an idiot.

He seems like a genuinely good kid and real excited to play though, ya know.

Fixed.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#723 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Jaruff wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:

He seems like a genuinely good kid and real excited to play though, ya know.

Fixed.

8-)
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#724 » by studcrackers » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:34 pm

radio station used to run a weekly segment called 'you know' where they'd find athlete interviews and see who'd do it the most. think the most id ever heard was charles haley
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#725 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Browns with two great picks at the end of the 6th in Acho and Wynn.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#726 » by ohara » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Carolina had let Jason Baker go, so they did not want to take a chance on Nortman going elsewhere as an Undrafted FA. Compensatory 6th, so I'm OK with it.

Do not understand the DJ CAmpbell pick in 7th. Safety from Cal. Was not graded high enough to get drafted I thought.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#727 » by Icness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:56 pm

As bad as the Jaguars taking a punter in the 3rd round might be, the Patriots drafting Nate Ebner is easily the biggest reach. He was Ohio State's #7 safety. Not #7 on his jersey, but rather 7th on the depth chart at safety. He's a former elite rugby player that played exactly 3 snaps of non special teams in three years. He has one of the 5 fastest short-shuttle times ever recorded in workouts. It gets no more arrogant than Belichick drafting a rugby player specifically to play only special teams.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#728 » by studcrackers » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 pm

wow, w/the bryce brown pick, hella potential i suppose. you surprised by this, ic?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#729 » by Jaruff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Icness wrote:As bad as the Jaguars taking a punter in the 3rd round might be, the Patriots drafting Nate Ebner is easily the biggest reach. He was Ohio State's #7 safety. Not #7 on his jersey, but rather 7th on the depth chart at safety. He's a former elite rugby player that played exactly 3 snaps of non special teams in three years. He has one of the 5 fastest short-shuttle times ever recorded in workouts. It gets no more arrogant than Belichick drafting a rugby player specifically to play only special teams.

How do you feel about the Dennard pick? I'm sure you're happy about the Lions' pick though.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#730 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Cam Johnson to the Niners in the 7th.

Surprised that he wasn't picked yet.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#731 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:13 pm

I can't believe David Paulson lasted until the 7th round...
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#732 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Harnish will have a longer NFL career than Andrew Luck.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#733 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:42 am

Dwight Jones not drafted?
Chris Polk not drafted?
James Brown not drafted?

Three biggest shockers to me.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#734 » by ohara » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:08 am

I was trying to figure out why Carolina took DJ Campbell in the 7th. Now I know. His uncle is Luther Campbell of 2 Live Crew fame. We took him to get his uncle to our games! Celebrity still rules!
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#735 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:14 am

Jeff,

Belicheck regularly picks special teams competition at the end of the draft (e.g., Slater, Williams, Edelman, Andrews and others). This kid's athleticism is off the charts and he was Ohio State's best special teams player. Ebner probably has a better chance of making the team than a position player pick this late in the draft (well except for Denard). I imagine he competes with Marquice Cole for a roster spot. Another message board that I regularly read had him on the list as a potential late round pick for the PATS.

This is similar to the Matt Slater pick of a couple of years ago (he has been NE's best special teams player since he got picked) or the Malcolm Williams pick a year ago. While most NE fans hated those picks when they were made, they are probably happy with them now.

As a bonus, I am hoping this means the end of the Sergio Brown era for NE. Ebner can probably contribute just as much as Brown on special teams, and even though Ebner only played 3 snaps at safety last year for Ohio State, I am guessing I would rather see him on the field as an emergency safety option than Brown. I don't think I have ever hated one of NE's players as much as I have hated Brown. I cringed every time I saw him line up at Safety.

Icness wrote:As bad as the Jaguars taking a punter in the 3rd round might be, the Patriots drafting Nate Ebner is easily the biggest reach. He was Ohio State's #7 safety. Not #7 on his jersey, but rather 7th on the depth chart at safety. He's a former elite rugby player that played exactly 3 snaps of non special teams in three years. He has one of the 5 fastest short-shuttle times ever recorded in workouts. It gets no more arrogant than Belichick drafting a rugby player specifically to play only special teams.
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#736 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 am

nice move by the Packers picking up Dale Moss as a free agent. I wanted him for the pats.

Jeff, out of all of the players that were not drafted, who is your guess for making the most impact next season?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#737 » by Icness » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:37 pm

UDFAs are real tough to forecast. A few I like:
Jacquies Smith to the Dolphins. Top player comp for him would be Cam Wake
Derrius Brooks to the Bengals, though that's a very crowded secondary
Aston Whiteside to Dallas. Special teams, worthy LB project.
Carson Wiggs to Seattle. He can win the kicking job.
Sammy Brown to the Rams. He could click nicely with Chuck Cecil. I like Alex Hoffman Ellis and Matt Conrath there too.
Kadarron Anderson to the Saints
Eric Page and Leonard Johnson to Tampa. Had 6th round grades on both those guys, liked the more than that at earlier times.
Lamark Brown to the Falcons
Randy Colling to the Packers

But my UDFA winners so far are the Bears and Jets
Bears took my Mr. Irrelevant pick Ronnie Cameron, plus Alvester Alexander, James Brown, and Adrien Cole. Every one of those guys is no worse than 50/50 to make the team.

Jets took Ryan Steed, GJ Kinne, Marcus Dowtin, Brett Roy, Donnie Fletcher and Damon Harrison. I had Steed as a 4th-5th rounder, all the others as 6th rounders. Harrison could be a steal if his knees hold up.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#738 » by Icness » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:45 pm

I'm doing behind-the-scenes digging today on some of the more questionable picks, like the Patriots two safeties, Cousins to WAS, pretty much every Lions pick after Ronnell Lewis, some of the fallers. Might take a few days as lots of the people I connect to are travelling and then taking their week off.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#739 » by SpeedyG » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:

He seems like a genuinely good kid and real excited to play though.

You know, I think Justin Blackmon's got him beat on that.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vi ... 857e361d78
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#740 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Icness wrote:I'm doing behind-the-scenes digging today on some of the more questionable picks, like the Patriots two safeties, Cousins to WAS, pretty much every Lions pick after Ronnell Lewis, some of the fallers. Might take a few days as lots of the people I connect to are travelling and then taking their week off.

Report from Mike Reiss is that multiple teams were ready to pounce on Tavon Wilson.

I'm happy with there late round selections. My only fault was that the packers seemed to get the better of the patriots in the trades. Basically, a 2nd rounder for a late 3rd, 2 6ths and a 7. Fuggin steal.

Return to NFL Draft