2013 Prospects Thread

Moderator: studcrackers

Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Re: 2013 Prospects Thread 

Post#21 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Icness wrote:Browns used their 2nd round pick in 2013 on former Baylor WR Josh Gordon in today's supplemental draft. Big, fast, strong, but incredibly inexperienced. His coaches all vouched for his character even though he had a pot bust and some academic issues.

A couple of draftniks had him pretty high after breaking him down but I wouldn't have given up above a 4th for his services.

Browns looking to go real young
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#22 » by Icness » Fri Sep 7, 2012 2:35 am

FSU DE Brandon Jenkins out for season. He has an interesting decision on whether to take a medical redshirt or go into the draft.

LSU T Chris Faulk also out for season with a major knee injury, reportedly all four ligaments torn. He's a junior, hard to see him declaring now but it hasn't stopped others. That kind of injury will absolutely keep him out of the 1st if he comes out.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#23 » by Icness » Sat Sep 8, 2012 4:13 am

Utah DL Star Lotulelei vs. Utah State:
--primarily lined up as 5-technique on right side of their 3-man front
--awesome club move, quick, powerful, rocks blocker upon impact
--has a very nice burst once he disengages off block, quick step
--brute strength in his shoulders and arms is impressive
--locates the ball quickly & consistently
--got blocked a little too easily by just the guard on plays run away from him
--got held on at least 30% of snaps, drew 2 penalties for that plus a chop block and a false start
--USU ran right at him four times that I saw where he wasn't doubled or chopped. Those plays produced a net of 1 yard.
--showed some leadership on field
--much more effective crashing the tackle than the guard on pass rush moves
--moves kind of like BJ Raji, but not as quick off the snap
--popped upright out of his stance several times
--got driven backwards by double team, couldn't anchor. You might say "but it's two on one, of course they pushed him backwards". My response is to watch Isaac Sopoaga or Terrance Knighton in those situations. Star is not in their caliber in that facet of the game.

I've seen three of his games now and while I think he's going to be a NFL starter, he's not proven to me he's a dynamic presence a la Ngata or Atkins or maybe even Red Bryant. I wouldn't take him top 20 right now, but that could change.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,834

Post#24 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:23 am

Geno Smith - top 5 pick?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#25 » by Icness » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 am

Roger Murdock wrote:Geno Smith - top 5 pick?

Hard to say but it could happen. If he can continue to show his development as a passer is valid he's got a shot there.

Right now I only see two surefire top 5 picks:
Barkevious Mingo
Matt Barkley
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#26 » by TDJacksonville » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Icness wrote:

Hard to say but it could happen. If he can continue to show his development as a passer is valid he's got a shot there.

Right now I only see two surefire top 5 picks:
Barkevious Mingo
Matt Barkley

i see Mingo Barkley Montgomery and woods atleast as locks in the top 10 if not 5.
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#27 » by Icness » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Two guys you are going to hear getting a lot more love as the draft process progresses:
Miss St. CB Johnthan Banks--good length, great ball skills, smart and instinctive, knows his athleticism well, can play off man or press. He basically erased a mid-round WR for Auburn (Emory Blake) last Sat., fared well against other NFL talent in the past too. Has a lot of similarities to Packers rookie Casey Hayward, only bigger and with better hands. Tough to see a talented CB with his size from that conference not going 1st round. Active NCAA leader in INTs.

Ohio State S Ohrian Johnson--just took over as starting SS on merit, was a pretty highly touted recruit that never put it together but the mind has finally caught up with the body. 6'2", 225 pounds, hits like a truck. Where he's improved is in field awareness. Those that have seen OSU practice rave about his ability to check tight ends from the line and ride them in coverage. Made some plays last week vs. UCF. Late round guy with lots of upside, could sneak into middle rounds if he makes some plays.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#28 » by Next Coming » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:51 pm

He's only played James Madison and Marshall but he was near perfect v Clemson in the Orange Bowl last year and more than held his own v LSU's dominating D as well.

I think he over takes Bray and Barkley as the first QB taken. There's about 5 1st Round QB's this year(Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones with an outside shot for EJ Manuel if a team falls in love with him) but there's not a Luck, Griffin, Newton, Stafford guy in the Draft.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#29 » by Icness » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Smith has the RG3 thing from last year working: through his first two games he has more TDs than incompletions.

My current QB pecking order:
1. Tyler Wilson, but his concussions (he's had three) are a real concern
2. Geno Smith
3. Tyler Bray
4. EJ Manuel
5. Matt Barkley
6. Logan Thomas
7. Aaron Murray
8. Zac Dysert
9. Landry Jones
10. Brad Sorenson

Very subject to dramatic change. One of the most critical evaluation tools for QBs is how they progress (or don't) from September to November.

Barkley = Brady Quinn
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#30 » by ohara » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Wondering how far up the ladder Manti Te'o goes now. Each year he has improved an aspect of his game. Right now, he is pretty much the total package. And he plays with massive heart. Long as he avoids injury, I think he goes Top 10. This past draft he would have going somewhere in the range of 13-18. So his decision to stay, barring injury, will likely serve him well.

Barkley made the call to return to USC because he wanted a National Championship and a Heisman Trophy. Now he is likely out of the running for either. He would have challenged RG3 for the 2nd QB to be taken in the last draft. My guess now is his decision to stay will likely cost him money. But he does have the rest of the year to try to redeem himself in the eyes of the NFL Scouts. And to be fair, he is still listed as a Top 1-2 prospect on early draft boards. But if (when) he gets exposed again, I think the slide starts.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#31 » by Icness » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm

For those interested in getting a foot in the door, Optimum Scouting is looking for an intern. Check out their site for instructions on applying. Eric Galko is someone I respect.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#32 » by reeDfense » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 am

I personally think barkley will bust...I just don't see the making of a great NFL QB when I watch him although obviously I could be wrong

My top 5 QB's

1. Tyler Wilson
2. Tyler Bray
3. Aaron Murray
4. Matt Barkley
5. Geno Smith

Probably gonna get flamed on this one lol...sorry guys.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#33 » by Next Coming » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Could be one of those years where a LT and a DL go #1 and #2 like in 2008 where Jake Long and Chris Long went in the top two.

Look for Taylor Lewan to follow in the footsteps of Jake Long and Star Loutelatit(gotta learn how to spell his name) go #2.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#34 » by Icness » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Putting up a mock draft late tonight. Top 5 picks:
Barkevious Mingo
Jonathan Hankins
Jarvis Jones
Geno Smith
Jake Matthews

Barkley goes 17th, Wilson 23rd, Bray 31st. More of a big board ranking than a viable mock.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#35 » by TSE » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Icness wrote:For those interested in getting a foot in the door, Optimum Scouting is looking for an intern. Check out their site for instructions on applying. Eric Galko is someone I respect.

Cool I just saw this and sent in an email. They didn't have any list of positions but did mention on their About page to send an email if you want to join their staff. If they need help then I'm interested in seeing if there's any way I can fit! Where are they located by the way?

Return to NFL Draft