Moderator: studcrackers

OAKTREE NYK1
Bench Warmer
And1: 0
Location: Sunny Fort Liquordale,FL Originally from the Bronx,NY

Oakland Raiders on the Clock- Johnson or Russell 

Post#1 » by OAKTREE NYK1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Why they should take WR Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech-

Raiders have a lot of nothing at the wideout position right now. Randy Moss's best days are well ahead of him and it may be time to deal him away so he does not alienate this team anymore with his poor attitude. Porter on the other hand I beleive will return to form and play well for Kiffin whom he has already stated that he is excited to play for. The Raiders with Kiffin and Knapp will be boastin the West Coast offense witch means short passes that allow the wideouts to make the plays. Johnson is built for this system ala Terrell Owens from his hay days with the Niners. If the Raiders are able to swing a deal for a veteran QB such as Josh McCwon and possbily pick up a Trent Edwards in the second then I cant see why they are even considering Jemarcus Russell. It seems Randy Moss doesnt have a care in the world for football anymore quitting on his team and dropping passess on purpose. Is this the type of player you want around a young QB? The only thing Moss will do is beg Jemarucs to throw it to him on every single possision much like he did with Culpepper. I can see it now "Cmon Jemarcus throw it long to me on every play...who cares what coach says". Oops sorry for dropping that one lets do it again. Calvin Johnson type players come once in a blue moon. It has been proven in this league that you dont need to be a #1 pick in the draft to be a solid QB. Calvin Johnson can make even the most meager QB's look that much better. The vote for this warm room has to be WR Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech. Al Davis needs a new face for his franchise much like he had with Tim Brown and I see C.J. as his man.

Why they shouldnt take WR Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech

Well since this the team QB situation is in total shambles it would make sense for them to get a QB. The only other problem I can think of with taking Johnson is if Moss has told management that he is dedicated to his team and not worried about being closer to the East Coast. Even then Porter can opt out of his deal next year and then what are you left with. Johnnie Morant? and Randy Moss. Johnson can make an impact this year though while taking a QB wont play dividends till next.

Why they should take QB Jemarcus Russell LSU-

Well being that QB Andrew Walter is the only thing resembling a QB on the roster then taking the behemoth Russell would make sense. He could be the impact player they need at QB or he could be a really huge bust. Do the Raiders have the time to find this out. I think we will see after draft day.

Why they shouldnt take QB Jemarcus Russell LSU-

With the west coast offense being installed by Kiffin and Knapp, Jemarcus doesnt strike me as the typical West Coast Quaterback. Russell seems better suited to playing for an offensive coordinator such as Linehan or Norv Turner. I just dont see Russell being successfull doing the dink and dunk thing in the West Coast much like the Gannon's,Garcia's, McNabb's, Young's etc etc of the world. The West Coast has always been about short precise passes and then taking your chances down deep. The offense has always been ment for the receiveres to take the short one deep much like Jerry Rice and T.O. did for so many years. Knowing how hard of an offense the West Coast is to pick up it is going to take Jemarcus some time to pick this up. Are the Raiders ready to be patient with him??? With a guy like Trent Edwards in the 2nd who Bill Walsh the master of the West Coast has raved about be just a smarter pick for the Raiders knowing that he is going to have to learn a year on the pine but while still enjoying the talents of a Calvin Johnson. The Chargers many years ago faced this same dilema and traded away the rights to Vick for L.T. In the second round of that draft they selected Drews Brees. Well we all know how that deal turned out. I think Russell has the chance to be a good quarterback but just not in this system. Russell also has to deal with malcontents such as Moss and Porter who will be in his ear constantly. The QB has to be the leader of his offense not the complaining wideouts. Taking Johnson on the other hand will allow him to develop a repore with the lesser known QB such as Edwards and have chance for success. All in All the smart thing for the Raiders to do is avoid Jemarcus Russell altogether and take Calvin Johnson. QB Trent Edwards will be there in the second round and if not try to open up trade talks with Green Bay for Rodgers or make that deal for McCown. Either way they are going to have to get there hands on a vet QB. Oh and by the way Duante Culpepper isnt the answer neither. Just another Jemarcus clone.

After further review the Oakland Raiders with the 1st pick of the 2007 draft select.

WR CALVIN JOHNSON GEORGIA TECH
"I cant help the poor if I'am one of them, so I got rich and gave back to me that's the win win" Jay-Z
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,852

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:35 am

There's nothing wrong with your reasoning, but I think the huge, powerful armed Russell will be too much for the Raiders to pass up.

QB JAMARCUS RUSSELL.

Return to NFL Draft