Jeff's 6.0 mock

Moderator: studcrackers

J-Brack11
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Jeff's 6.0 mock 

Post#21 » by J-Brack11 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 10:49 pm

As a Pats fan, I think their linebacker corps is their number 1 need this offseason. Last year in another great Belichick pick, they drafted Jerod Mayo, who became the defensive rookie of the year. But still, their linebackers are old and depth is needed. This especially holds true after Belichick threw a bone to old pal Scott Pioli and pretty much gave him away in the Cassel trade for a high second round pick. If they get Peppers, thats great. He's still one of the best DE's in the league, but hopefull the pats won't give away too much to get him. I like the Connor Barwin pick also because if he's as good as Risdin says he is, he seems like the perfect sleeper pick for Belichick, a lot like Mayo was last year. I'd also support picking Laurinitis here, and Mauluga or Cushing if they managed to fall that far.

As for the second round, I definetly think the 2 running backs was a misprint, but if Beanie Wells is there at 34, I could see them taking him as well. I would like them to improve their secondary with at least one pick in the second round though. The two corners from last years draft, Wheatly and Wilhite, could become good players but it's still a glaring weekness. Shawn Springs is definetly an improvement over guys like O'Neal and even Hobbs, but a good, young corner would be nice to pickup.

OL is another position were some depth is needed, which is why I especially like the Max Unger pick at 55, because from what I've heard, he's the best C/G in the draft next to Alex Mack.
All in all, I think this draft will be key for the Patriots in adding depth and young ability to positions that have had trouble for them the past couple of years.
"If life is a game, then where are the cheats?"
usctrojans2009
Ballboy

Post#22 » by usctrojans2009 » Mon Mar 9, 2009 1:58 am

This is the best mock draft I have seen so far. However I have to disagree with the pick at No. 4. I think Seattle is going to take B.J. Raji. They have Leroy Hill, Lofa Tatupu, and Julian Peterson at linebacker. With so much money invested in their linebackers, B.J. Raji is perfect because he can take up blockers. This helps out Patrick Kerney as well.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#23 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Mar 9, 2009 10:24 am

I don't like the draft for the Jets as I'm neither a big fan of taking Sanchez in the first nor Moala in the second (I hope I'm talking about the right draft here hehe). Iglesias in the third is fine with me. Now I just don't believe Sanchez is made for a cold weather offense or playing in the windy meadowlands. Before we add another project QB we should look what we have in Clemens (who finally would have an OLine and a running game to work with) and Ratliff who the Jets seem to be high on. Even if Sanchez is the better prospect, you just can't leave your QBs on the bench without ever giving them a chance, it would be a complete waste. See what we have and then go from there next season.
Moala doesn't strike me as the most physical or most gritty guy who would excel in the 3-4. He has a good first step and all and is talented but from what I've seen of him last year, he wasn't very impressive to me.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#24 » by daddyfivestar » Mon Mar 9, 2009 5:45 pm

quick question:
How come every other draft has Oakland picking 40, Jax 39... but yours has Oakland 39, Jax 40??
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#25 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:37 pm

So what does Michael Johnson's pro day do for his draft stock?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#26 » by Icness » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:48 pm

quick question:
How come every other draft has Oakland picking 40, Jax 39... but yours has Oakland 39, Jax 40??

Because I am wrong. Will be changed. I had some seriously misplaced 3rd round picks too. I was going off bad info.

So what does Michael Johnson's pro day do for his draft stock?

It certainly helped, esp. his 40 time in the low 4.5s. What really impresses is that he clearly put in a great deal of effort and dedication to making himself better, and that has always been the knock on him. Much like Kiwanuka, he probably salvaged a late 1st round slot by amping it up at the right time. I still wouldn't touch him though. Not that I like to touch men or anything...
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Brawndo
Ballboy

Post#27 » by Brawndo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:26 am

Icness

I saw the thread where you suggest that Brian Van Ochten has been ripping you off and you were reporting him to his editors. In any case, his latest work clearly rips off Wikipedia and without citation.

Here is the article link if you are interested:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... o_lis.html

Here are some of the comparisons:

From BVO:

“In the offseason, Andolsek, the team's starting left guard, was working in the yard of his Thibodaux, La., home on June 23, 1992, when he was struck and killed by a semi-trailer truck ran off the highway. He was 25.
Two days later, Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Jerome Brown was died in a car accident. Two years later, linebacker Toby Caston, a teammate of Andolsek's both in Detroit and at Louisiana State, died in a car accident.”

From Wikipedia:

"During the off-season, he was working in the yard of his Thibodaux home when a semi-trailer truck ran off the highway in front of his house and struck and killed him"

"Two days after Andolsek's death, Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Jerome Brown was killed in an automobile accident. And two years after Andolsek's death, linebacker Toby Caston was also killed in an automobile accident. Ironically, Caston was Andolsek's teammate with both LSU and the Detroit Lions"

From BVO:

“He suffered a fatal heart attack on the field on Oct. 24, 1971, during the final minutes of a matchup against the Chicago Bears at Tiger Stadium. He'd run a pass route but wasn't part of the play -- an incompletion intended for Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders. He pitched forward despite there being no contact on the play. The game finished in near silence.
The Lions, who retired No. 85 in Hughes' honor, have presented an annual award in his name to the most improved player on their roster since 1997. Hughes is the only player in NFL history to die on the field in a game.”

From Wikipedia:

“On October 24, 1971 while playing for the Detroit Lions, he suffered a fatal heart attack during the final minutes of a game versus the Chicago Bears at Tiger Stadium in Detroit. He had run a pass route but was not part of the play, an incomplete pass intended for Lions tight end Charlie Sanders, and pitched forward onto the ground without contact. Initially some thought he was faking an injury to stop the clock, but Bears linebacker Dick Butkus frantically signalled for help on the field. It was obvious that he was seriously hurt, and the game was finished in near silence. The Lions retired his number, 85, in his honor, and annually make an award to the most improved player in his name. He is the only player in National Football League history to die on the field during a game.

From BVO:

“McCafferty, who'd gone 6-7-1 in his first season, suffered a fatal heart attack on July 28, 1974, while cutting the grass at his West Bloomfield home.”

From Wikipedia:

“On January 26, 1973, McCafferty was hired as head coach of the Detroit Lions and was 6-7-1 in his first year on the sidelines. On July 28, 1974, while spending some time at his nearby home in West Bloomfield, Michigan, he suffered a heart attack while cutting his grass”

From BVO:

“He was the 17th overall pick, a promising linebacker from Texas A&M, who suffered a spinal cord contusion while assisting on a tackle in a matchup against the New York Jets on Dec. 21, 1997, in the regular-season finale.
He nearly died on the field.
Brown lay motionless on the turf for 17 minutes. He lost consciousness briefly. CPR saved his life. He had emergency surgery after being transported to the hospital, which likely spared him from spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair.”

From Wikipedia:

“Brown was selected 17th overall by the Detroit Lions in the 1996 NFL Draft. He had a rather short career, playing only 32 games.
In his final game, Brown suffered a spinal cord contusion while assisting on a tackle of New York Jets halfback Adrian Murrell in the closing game of 1997 season. He lay motionless for 17 minutes, briefly losing consciousness. CPR saved his life, and emergency surgery saved him from using a wheelchair for the rest of his life”

The Wikipedia Reggie Brown link uses this BVO article as a reference.

Hope this helps your cause.
WAYSA
Banned User

Post#28 » by WAYSA » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:20 pm

Andre Smith reportedly bombed his pro day.

How far will he be dropping in your next mock? Or will he not?

I hope he falls to #18 & the Bears.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:53 pm

He's not getting past 13 Waysa.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#30 » by Ong_dynasty » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Julian Petersen to the Lions for Redding..
Does that mean Curry will not be the num.1 pick?
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#31 » by magicfan4life05 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:58 pm

wow harvin falls to 2nd round??

I thought he was a lock for the 1st.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:21 am

Ong_dynasty wrote:Julian Petersen to the Lions for Redding..
Does that mean Curry will not be the num.1 pick?

If I were Detroit, I'd trade the 20th pick to Denver for Cutler.

Then I'd pick an offensive tackle to protect Jay, and just call it a day.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by el loco » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:40 am

It is that time of the year again and I am glad to see Icness back again this year. I was right on the Mendenhall pick for the Steelers last season. This year I look for the Steelers to take a CB or two, a receiver that can get past a safety, our speedster signed with the Titans, and I don't think Sweed has the speed to replace him. The defensive line is getting old, so I look for a pick and possibly two at this position. I would say offensive line, and thought that they might go in that direction last season, but they never did and it turned out to be a good move. This year they get Mendenhall back from a season ending shoulder injury that happened early in the season, so he will be like getting an additional number one pick this year for the Steelers.

I liked your Mock a lot better then Kiper's updated Mock, He had the Browns taking a QB, which is something that I don't think they need, and he had the Chiefs taking one, didn't they just make a big trade to get a QB?
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,322

Post#34 » by CS707 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:11 pm

When in the brief history of time has Al Davis ever passed on the chance to get a Grey Goose WR, or even a Popov-in-the-well WR for that matter?

I love Raiders sterotyping.

Al Davis has drafted more kickers in the 1st round than WR's... and it's been over 20 years since he took Tim Brown. In fact, he hasn't taken a WR higher than the 3rd round since 2000.

Crabtree to Oaktown aint happening.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#35 » by Ong_dynasty » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:16 pm

gst8 wrote:
When in the brief history of time has Al Davis ever passed on the chance to get a Grey Goose WR, or even a Popov-in-the-well WR for that matter?

Al Davis has drafted more kickers in the 1st round than WR's... and it's been over 20 years since he took Tim Brown. In fact, he hasn't taken a WR higher than the 3rd round since 2000.

That may or may not be true..But Al Davis sure loves Athletic Specimens..and Crabtree is one of them..
I hope for JaMarcus sake that he gets Offensive help..whether that Be Crabtree or a Franchise LT

A team of JaMarcus, McFadden and Crabtree..is a nice offensive start...
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,322

Post#36 » by CS707 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Ong_dynasty wrote:
gst8 wrote:

That may or may not be true..But Al Davis sure loves Athletic Specimens..and Crabtree is one of them..
I hope for JaMarcus sake that he gets Offensive help..whether that Be Crabtree or a Franchise LT

A team of JaMarcus, McFadden and Crabtree..is a nice offensive start...

Crabtree isn't the specimen AD likes... not without a verified 40 time. Based on history, I just don't see it. Especially after passing on better prospects like Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson in recent years. I think he takes a Tackle or one of the tweener DE's with an outside shot at the DT from Boston College.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#37 » by CJ_18 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Icness what do you think of big DB Sean Smith from Utah?
Hannibal
Ballboy

Post#38 » by Hannibal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:34 pm

As to the Steelers: el loco probably is correct. The team has lost players at CB, WR and S. It would not be atypical for Colbert to draft first at those positions. However, the Combine revealed that the Day 1 CB are either painfully slow or tiny or both; by consensus, it's not a great year at S. There are good Day 1 WR but the Steelers #1 need is for a WR with return ability, and there are few of those. Summarily: it's Tate, Williams or Wallace; of those, only Wallace survives this 4 R probe. If the Steelers don't get a WR with return ability, there are Day 2 DB with some.

To the picks given, with alternatives to follow.

Eben Britton is a RT. The Steelers have two, sorta, in Colon and Starks. Their need is at LT. However, there is little info, to date, that they're looking in that direction. They ran Andrew Gardner's drill and have interviewed Alex Boone, at Indy and Columbus. Both are Day 2 picks, presumably; Boone certainly is a RT.

Paul Kruger: undersized as a 34 DE and hasn't shown the athleticism to be an OLB. Kruger does not fit the system, imo.

Kenny McKinley: ok pick if he has return ability, but there are bigs on the board who better fit. It is highly likely the Steelers will get a R3 comp for Faneca. Tho i do appreciate this mock doesn't consider those, the alternates following will.

Jason Williams: nice pick, probably BPA at the spot. However, his trait set is similar to Timmons'. Anyway, I doubt Williams comes thru the Tampa 2 gauntlet in R3, let alone 4.

Alternatives:

R1: Connor Barwin, OLB: negotiations with James Harrison are not going well. At some point, the Steeler FO may decide there's a price too high for a 30-something edge rusher, even if he is the reigning DPoY and should ahve been Super Bowl MVP. Alternative 2: Hakeem Nicks, WR. Alternative 3: trade back towards: Nicks or Britt, or Jarron Gilbert (a RDE in the PS system). It is high for Gilbert, but not those WR, nor Barwin.

R2: Eric Wood, IOL: a godsend should he reach 64, tho that is not likely. Absolutely BPA.

R3a: Gerald Cadogen, LT: highly intelligent, has the arm length thing goin'...needs tech work.

R3b: Dorell Scott, DL: good teammate, good strength, good frame, good mass, good get-off, and an experienced collegian Unlike Kruger has both kidneys and does fit the system.

R4: Andrew Gardner, OT: 2 time first team ACC, 4 year starter. The labrum will heal. Another highly intelligent OL with good arm length, hand size. To no one's surprise, the OT position is tapping out at R4; after Gardner, there's Boone, who does carry some character issues and Josh Bell, who is overage with some level of competition items. Take Gardner, pass Jason Williams tho with regret.

Later prospects, imo, include but surely are not limited to:

CB Donald Carey, WR/KR Mike Wallace, S CJ Spillman and Chris Clemons; DL Chris Baker, John Gill and Vaughn Martin; interior OL Robert Brewster; DB/KR Brice McCain and Donald Dunn.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by el loco » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:39 am

Hannibal wrote:As to the Steelers: el loco probably is correct. The team has lost players at CB, WR and S. It would not be atypical for Colbert to draft first at those positions. However, the Combine revealed that the Day 1 CB are either painfully slow or tiny or both; by consensus, it's not a great year at S. There are good Day 1 WR but the Steelers #1 need is for a WR with return ability, and there are few of those. Summarily: it's Tate, Williams or Wallace; of those, only Wallace survives this 4 R probe. If the Steelers don't get a WR with return ability, there are Day 2 DB with some.

To the picks given, with alternatives to follow.

Eben Britton is a RT. The Steelers have two, sorta, in Colon and Starks. Their need is at LT. However, there is little info, to date, that they're looking in that direction. They ran Andrew Gardner's drill and have interviewed Alex Boone, at Indy and Columbus. Both are Day 2 picks, presumably; Boone certainly is a RT.

Paul Kruger: undersized as a 34 DE and hasn't shown the athleticism to be an OLB. Kruger does not fit the system, imo.

Kenny McKinley: ok pick if he has return ability, but there are bigs on the board who better fit. It is highly likely the Steelers will get a R3 comp for Faneca. Tho i do appreciate this mock doesn't consider those, the alternates following will.

Jason Williams: nice pick, probably BPA at the spot. However, his trait set is similar to Timmons'. Anyway, I doubt Williams comes thru the Tampa 2 gauntlet in R3, let alone 4.

Alternatives:

R1: Connor Barwin, OLB: negotiations with James Harrison are not going well. At some point, the Steeler FO may decide there's a price too high for a 30-something edge rusher, even if he is the reigning DPoY and should ahve been Super Bowl MVP. Alternative 2: Hakeem Nicks, WR. Alternative 3: trade back towards: Nicks or Britt, or Jarron Gilbert (a RDE in the PS system). It is high for Gilbert, but not those WR, nor Barwin.

R2: Eric Wood, IOL: a godsend should he reach 64, tho that is not likely. Absolutely BPA.

R3a: Gerald Cadogen, LT: highly intelligent, has the arm length thing goin'...needs tech work.

R3b: Dorell Scott, DL: good teammate, good strength, good frame, good mass, good get-off, and an experienced collegian Unlike Kruger has both kidneys and does fit the system.

R4: Andrew Gardner, OT: 2 time first team ACC, 4 year starter. The labrum will heal. Another highly intelligent OL with good arm length, hand size. To no one's surprise, the OT position is tapping out at R4; after Gardner, there's Boone, who does carry some character issues and Josh Bell, who is overage with some level of competition items. Take Gardner, pass Jason Williams tho with regret.

Later prospects, imo, include but surely are not limited to:

CB Donald Carey, WR/KR Mike Wallace, S CJ Spillman and Chris Clemons; DL Chris Baker, John Gill and Vaughn Martin; interior OL Robert Brewster; DB/KR Brice McCain and Donald Dunn.

Thanks for the response. You gave me some homework :lol: From what you are saying, I gather that if we don't see a receiver taken on day one, then we can look for a backup DB who can return some kicks. I can live with that. What is the word on Mewelde Moore? Will he be back or not? Holmes and Moore can return some kicks. In my eyes, Mewelde was one of the main MVP's to our run last season, without him, I think we would have lost an additional game or two. Tomlin knew what he was doing when he brought him on board.
Hannibal
Ballboy

Post#40 » by Hannibal » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 pm

El loco:

They need a return guy, a weak point since El left. There are some among Day 1 WR: Harvin, Williams, Tate (in whatever order); Wallace figures as a KR only. If they don't get those, there are the backend DB mentioned. Those WR/return prospects generally are better as WR prospects than the DB/return prospects are as DB, but that's to be expected, given that the DB do cost less, pick-wise. IMO, it depends on who is available early, the team's over-arching need being upfront, both sides.

Moore signed a multi-year deal. I don't remember whether for 2 or 3 (and didn't Google it) but, either way, he'll be back for 2009. Disappointed as a PR last year, but he does have a track record.

It seems they're trying to free Holmes from return duty. For good reason too.

Return to NFL Draft