Big 12 Expansion

Moderator: studcrackers

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Big 12 Expansion 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Talks began this week about expanding the Big 12 Conference by two to four teams. I'm hoping for two so that the conference name will actually be accurate.

Today the Governor of Texas and the President of University of Texas issued statements supporting University of Houston as an expansion candidate.

I'm also hearing that BYU is on their radar, as are Memphis, Cincinnati and Central Florida.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Re: Big 12 Expansion 

Post#2 » by Latrell » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Didn't BYU get out of the MWC because they prefer to be independent?
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#3 » by goober » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:57 pm

Latrell wrote:Didn't BYU get out of the MWC because they prefer to be independent?

Being independent is better for BYU's interest than being in the MWC. If you look at BYU's upcoming schedule, it looks like a power5 schedule.

Now BYU recognizes the impact of actually being in a power 5 conference, and if they get invited to the Big 12, I can't see how they wouldn't accept.

I think it's actually gonna be a 4 team expansion and consist of BYU, Houston, and Cincy. The 4th spot is what's tough.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:19 pm

I've heard Central Florida mentioned if it is a 4-team expansion.

Maybe Air Force?
- Winston Churchill
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#5 » by goober » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 am

Mr. E wrote:I've heard Central Florida mentioned if it is a 4-team expansion.

Maybe Air Force?

if a Colorado team is being put in, it's gonna be Colorado State over Air Force, and I think Colorado State's only chance is if BYU is admitted as well.

From what I've been hearing and reading, UCF is losing a lot of steam, they're season this past year was one of the worst in the country, and they're so far away from West Virginia and the rest of the Big 12, keep in mind their academics are horrible as well.

One team that's popping up a lot more with the idea of a 4 team expansion.... Tulane. Their football program is crap, but they provide an added AAU team, and a sought after New Orleans market.

I think right now the rankings for the Big 12 atm are

1a Houston
1b BYU
3 Cincy
4. Tulane
5. Memphis
6. Colorado State
7. UConn
8. UCF
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,164

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:47 pm

Mr. E wrote:Talks began this week about expanding the Big 12 Conference by two to four teams. I'm hoping for two so that the conference name will actually be accurate.

Today the Governor of Texas and the President of University of Texas issued statements supporting University of Houston as an expansion candidate.

I'm also hearing that BYU is on their radar, as are Memphis, Cincinnati and Central Florida.

Also hoping for 2 teams, not three, not four.
I believe Memphis will get in.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#7 » by goober » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:11 am

From what I've been seeing, the Big 12 is reaching where they want to add 4 teams instead of 2
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#8 » by bleu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:11 am

Whatever happens, I just hope that BYU doesn't get in. I already hear enough from their obnoxious fans as is.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#9 » by goober » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:59 pm

bleu wrote:Whatever happens, I just hope that BYU doesn't get in. I already hear enough from their obnoxious fans as is.

BYU getting into the big 12 would be huge for the entire state of Utah and I know you know that.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#10 » by goober » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Big 12 expansion is getting hard to follow, they're flip flopping on every turn, they need to get this over with before the country see's even more incompetent they have been.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#11 » by bleu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Goober wrote:
bleu wrote:Whatever happens, I just hope that BYU doesn't get in. I already hear enough from their obnoxious fans as is.

BYU getting into the big 12 would be huge for the entire state of Utah and I know you know that.

Good in what way? Good for their fans, but that's about it. As an Aggie fan first, and a Ute fan second, I see absolutely no benefit to BYU playing in the Big 12 for me, and a whole lot of negatives.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#12 » by studcrackers » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:34 am

Goober wrote:Big 12 expansion is getting hard to follow, they're flip flopping on every turn, they need to get this over with before the country see's even more incompetent they have been.

the big 12 being incompetent is kinda their blueprint so get used to it
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#13 » by goober » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:53 am

studcrackers wrote:
Goober wrote:Big 12 expansion is getting hard to follow, they're flip flopping on every turn, they need to get this over with before the country see's even more incompetent they have been.

the big 12 being incompetent is kinda their blueprint so get used to it

I hope I'll have the opportunity to get used to it
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#14 » by studcrackers » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:12 pm

I heard BYU might have more trouble than they expect cause of their anti gay stance and it has caught the attention from LGBTQ people. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor had some sort of backwards ass policy like that too since it's a private school
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#15 » by goober » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 pm

studcrackers wrote:I heard BYU might have more trouble than they expect cause of their anti gay stance and it has caught the attention from LGBTQ people. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor had some sort of backwards ass policy like that too since it's a private school

BYU's policy is just no sexual intercourse, which is also the case for heterosexuals who aren't married. So it's not restricting having gays actual at the school but if they really want to attend they just can't act upon their homosexual tendencies (which I don't know why they would attend an institution that doesn't necessarily support their lifestyle)

I understand protesting though, but why are they nitpicking? why aren't they protesting teams scheduling BYU? why aren't they protesting BYU participating in bowl games? protesting BYU participating in basketball tournaments?

should college football really participate in these politics? when BYU really doesn't promote anything hateful towards LGBT
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,685

Post#16 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Goober wrote:
studcrackers wrote:I heard BYU might have more trouble than they expect cause of their anti gay stance and it has caught the attention from LGBTQ people. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor had some sort of backwards ass policy like that too since it's a private school

BYU's policy is just no sexual intercourse, which is also the case for heterosexuals who aren't married. So it's not restricting having gays actual at the school but if they really want to attend they just can't act upon their homosexual tendencies (which I don't know why they would attend an institution that doesn't necessarily support their lifestyle)

I understand protesting though, but why are they nitpicking? why aren't they protesting teams scheduling BYU? why aren't they protesting BYU participating in bowl games? protesting BYU participating in basketball tournaments?

should college football really participate in these politics? when BYU really doesn't promote anything hateful towards LGBT

You could throw TCU in there for having Christian beliefs. The truth is, most all of Big 12 country is pretty religious.

BYU has bigger things to focus on like their brutally tough week one opponent coming up. They better not be thinking ahead.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Mr. E » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:24 pm

I've read that angle is being pushed by ESPN because of some broadcast rights that could get messed up with a Big 12 expansion.
- Winston Churchill
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#18 » by goober » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Goober wrote:

You could throw TCU in there for having Christian beliefs. The truth is, most all of Big 12 country is pretty religious.

BYU has bigger things to focus on like their brutally tough week one opponent coming up. They better not be thinking ahead.

I'm so excited for that game, I think I'm going down with my bud to it. Will be a great game!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,685

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Goober wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Goober wrote:BYU's policy is just no sexual intercourse, which is also the case for heterosexuals who aren't married. So it's not restricting having gays actual at the school but if they really want to attend they just can't act upon their homosexual tendencies (which I don't know why they would attend an institution that doesn't necessarily support their lifestyle)

I'm so excited for that game, I think I'm going down with my bud to it. Will be a great game!

I meant to check and see who is favored. The AZ Wildcats had an interesting week. First they had a lineman die in recent days and then their stadium was flooded so they couldn't practice. So the AZ Cardinals called them up and told them (all this during NFL training camp of course) they could use their stadium this week and they not only left but painted Arizona (Cats colors) in the end zone, along with Bear Down which their chant/fight son, and moved in the hashes to college standards.

Meanwhile the Cards traveled to San Diego to have joint practices with the Chargers this week before their preseason game against each other this week. Interesting for many reasons but also because these are the three football teams I follow.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#20 » by goober » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Mr. E wrote:

I've read that angle is being pushed by ESPN because of some broadcast rights that could get messed up with a Big 12 expansion.

BYU gets paid by ESPN 3 million dollars per game to air on ESPN, joining the Big 12 makes that much more expensive for ESPN. This makes a lot of sense

Return to NCAA Football