ImageImageImageImageImage

Series Thread: Jays vs Sox: series lost 2-1

Moderator: JaysRule15

RAPTORS4LIFE4
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#41 » by RAPTORS4LIFE4 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:15 pm

Don't get why Halladay was taken out of the game, and it was a tough loss for the Jays but as least Rios, Wells, and Thomas seem to be getting their swing back which is a positive.

Ed Davis Delivers a Pizza-------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6pHAJfAHQ0
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#42 » by OldNo7 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:48 pm

RAPTORS4LIFE4 wrote:Don't get why Halladay was taken out of the game, and it was a tough loss for the Jays but as least Rios, Wells, and Thomas seem to be getting their swing back which is a positive.

You dont know Gibby well do you. Basically anytime there is a lefty at the plate after the 6th inning he panics and will bring in a left handed pitcher, no matter how good the starter is throwing.
Twitter: @NickObergan
keunganator
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#43 » by keunganator » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:40 am

whosthebosh? wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You dont know Gibby well do you. Basically anytime there is a lefty at the plate after the 6th inning he panics and will bring in a left handed pitcher, no matter how good the starter is throwing.

i think hallidays pitch count was getting close to 100. i think it was in the high 90s anyways...so gibby prob figured not to take any chances.
Jon_21
Lead Assistant
And1: 59

Post#44 » by Jon_21 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:01 am

keunganator wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i think hallidays pitch count was getting close to 100. i think it was in the high 90s anyways...so gibby prob figured not to take any chances.

That's what bugs me about Gibby ... take some chances! Run on the basepaths! Forget about lefty/righty matchups and coaching textbook style.

If there is a pitcher in the league I would take a chance with Doc would be right up at the top of the list. This isn't Ohka or Chacin, its your ace the guy you pay the big bucks to. Hopefully he becomes more flexible as the season goes on. These AL East games will make of break whether we have a shot at the playoffs.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#45 » by Geddy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:45 am

Jon_21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's what bugs me about Gibby ... take some chances! Run on the basepaths! Forget about lefty/righty matchups and coaching textbook style.

If there is a pitcher in the league I would take a chance with Doc would be right up at the top of the list. This isn't Ohka or Chacin, its your ace the guy you pay the big bucks to. Hopefully he becomes more flexible as the season goes on. These AL East games will make of break whether we have a shot at the playoffs.

well put :nod:
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by OldNo7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:10 am

Jon_21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Precisely. Just because we have 7 or 8 guys in the pen, doesnt mean we have to use half of them every game. And you hit the nail on the head: its much different having Doc on the mound than Ohka late in a game with a lefty up.
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#47 » by Holmes » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:46 am

Tell Grady Little that. See how that turned out...

Bottomline is our bench depth isn't there to cover the offense lost with our injured players and the bullpen is largely unproven after B.J. Ryan and maybe Frasor. Guys like Accardo, Janssen and Marcum may have gotten off to good starts but they just can't be guys that we have to rely on in situations like today. Would have been nice to have Speier coming in instead of Marcum. That bullpen will continue to be biggest concern and continues to remain as the most overlooked aspect of the team over the offseason.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by OldNo7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:48 am

I agree, I think they (bullpen and bench) will be the story all season long.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#49 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Well, the bullpen at least has some upside. The bench is going to kill us more than anything else. Jason Smith, John McDonald, and Jason Phillips are barely MLB talent. Matt Stairs is a 40-year old DH playing back-up outfielder. It's frustrating to watch.
davkad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#50 » by davkad » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:33 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:Well, the bullpen at least has some upside. The bench is going to kill us more than anything else. Jason Smith, John McDonald, and Jason Phillips are barely MLB talent. Matt Stairs is a 40-year old DH playing back-up outfielder. It's frustrating to watch.

couldn't agree more - Hinske would be an uber-utility-man on this team... we should honestly just go pick up some veterans - get Ramon Castro or a solid catcher to backup Zaun (Guillermo Diaz? oh... let him go!). Get a guy like Ty Wigginton, or trade for Reggie Sanders - there's plenty of ppl available who could really help out this team, but Ricciardi's arrogance is going to cost us - he's barely going to improve the team, and i doubt he makes a big trade - Doc is just gonna hafta deal with no decisions and blown saves... Letting Schoenweiss and Speier go was just stupid - if i'm not mistaken, we had 10+ million available for spending on a starting pitcher this summer - why not take care of our own bullpen first, which is much worse than last year's.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays