ImageImageImageImageImage

Jeremy Accardo - The Closer

Moderator: JaysRule15

xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,180

Jeremy Accardo - The Closer 

Post#1 » by xAIRNESSx » Sat May 12, 2007 7:45 pm

This kid looks like he's got some stuff. Has like 14 appearances this season and a 0.00 ERA. He was named our closer yesterday and got his first save today. I hope he can keep this up, because our bullpen is shakey.
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#2 » by NeverGoingToWin » Sat May 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Riccardi did a great job getting a quality arm for a guy that we did not want anymore.
Sai Young
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Sai Young » Sat May 12, 2007 8:04 pm

why we didn't let him close over frasor is outta my mind
but that past is the past
accardo is teh future closer
bj aint gon be the same till mid-next year
or even the year after that
stro4swift
Starter

Post#4 » by stro4swift » Sat May 12, 2007 8:41 pm

Code: Select all

Accardo was tabbed by both manager John Gibbons and GM J.P. Riccardi as a replacement, but neither wanted to commit to naming just one. "We'll give Accardo a chance," Ricciardi said. "I think [Casey] Janssen and [Scott] Downs will get a chance to do it at some point. We'll see. We'll probably just go with whoever is hot. I think if we named someone right now, it wouldn't be fair to the player that hasn't done it." It looks like this will be a closer-by-committee situation to start, but Accardo appears likely to get the most opportunities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... pe=fantasy
RingItUp!
Starter
And1: 6

Post#5 » by RingItUp! » Sat May 12, 2007 9:25 pm

He looked really effective yesterday (May 11) and got the close again today. He's got some great stuff and as long as he's throwing strikes, he certainly looks to have serious closer stuff.

One ray of sunshine, I guess...
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,918

Post#6 » by Michael Bradley » Sat May 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Accardo has always had good stuff. It was just a matter of getting command of it, and adjusting to the league change. He's likely not this good, but he's got a great arm. Hopefully he can hold the fort for a year and be a good set-up option when Ryan gets back next year.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#7 » by -MetA4- » Sat May 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Remember back when people were asking for Accardo to be sent down to AAA just so that we could keep Rosario?
Raptorsrock
RealGM
And1: 33

Post#8 » by Raptorsrock » Sun May 13, 2007 2:43 pm

-MetA4- wrote:Remember back when people were asking for Accardo to be sent down to AAA just so that we could keep Rosario?

but that wasn't due to people thinking Rosario>Accardo.

It was due to Rosario being out of options and losing a live arm for nothing and Accardo having options left.
RingItUp!
Starter

Post#9 » by RingItUp! » Sun May 13, 2007 5:39 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:Accardo has always had good stuff. It was just a matter of getting command of it, and adjusting to the league change. He's likely not this good, but he's got a great arm. Hopefully he can hold the fort for a year and be a good set-up option when Ryan gets back next year.

Agreed. He's likely not going to continue to be as lights-out as he's been over the last two days, but it looks like he's improving. Having him and Frasor as righty/lefty set-up options could prove to be really effective...

Effective NEXT year, of course.
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#10 » by -MetA4- » Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Raptorsrock wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It was due to Rosario being out of options and losing a live arm for nothing and Accardo having options left.

The point remains that people were willing to lose an effective reliever (who at this point is the best on our team) just so that we could keep a guy who has never proven anything and is a complete bust. You dont win baseball games like that and I cant think of a winning team that would employ a completely ridiculous strategy like this. Go look at what Rosario has done in Philly against weaker NL competition, the guy is useless and apart from being able to throw hard is a completely below average pitcher.
asif9t9
Banned User

Post#11 » by asif9t9 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Naming Accardo as our closer is like naming Royce Clayton as our cleanup hitter. It means nothing. Any quality team will laugh in the ninth inning when they see our 3rd or 4th resort trotting out of the bullpen. Let's hope he at least gets some save opps.
SmallTownJournalist303
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#12 » by SmallTownJournalist303 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:10 am

I disagree. Accardo's been nothing short of spectacular so far this season (small sample size aside) and he's put up excellent peripherals in the past.
I don't know how long he'll be closing for us, but there's a good chance he's going to be a very good reliever - if not closer - for someone down the line.
As an aside, am I allowed to use my new mod powers to ban any mention of the words 'Royce Clayton' in this forum? I don't want to be polluting the minds of our young'ns with garbage.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#13 » by OldNo7 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:28 am

Naming Royce Clayton our cleanup hitter is like naming asif9t9 our highest quality poster.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#14 » by Holmes » Tue May 15, 2007 1:46 am

Very lively arm tonight. Needs to cut his hair though.
asif9t9
Banned User

Post#15 » by asif9t9 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:19 am

whosthebosh? wrote:Naming Royce Clayton our cleanup hitter is like naming asif9t9 our highest quality poster.

I consider myself about a fifth hitter. I let others open up threads. And then I let the next couple of guys agree or disagree with the OP. Then finally some guy comes in with the POV I like, and I provide protection for him.

The fifth hitter is always the best hitter. The guy who needs no protection.
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#16 » by -MetA4- » Tue May 15, 2007 3:10 am

Dude hit 97-98 mph multiple times tonight. He has an established out pitch (although it didn't look like he had much confidence in it tonight - he threw maybe one splitter and it was real flat resulting in the only base hit he gave up) and still has a lot of potential to grow. As long as his command holds up I see him becoming a VERY dangerous reliever.
RingItUp!
Starter

Post#17 » by RingItUp! » Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 am

Holmes wrote:Very lively arm tonight. Needs to cut his hair though.

Seconded. That $h!t looks awful.

Though, if he keeps throwing like he has been, he can wear his hair however he likes.
asif9t9
Banned User

Post#18 » by asif9t9 » Fri May 18, 2007 1:36 am

Noticed Burnett cut off his mullet. And he's pitching better, too. Hmmm.....

Return to Toronto Blue Jays