2022 Atlanta Falcons Offseason

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Re: 2022 Atlanta Falcons Offseason  

Post#21 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 7, 2022 11:29 pm

The NFL announced the salary cap for the 2022 season will be set at $208.2 million.

This figure has been expected for months but it is now set in stone, per the league. The $25.7 million increase from 2020 is the largest single-year jump in the salary cap era. Such a jump shouldn't be surprising considering the cap decreased by $15.7 million last year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Saints, Cowboys, and Packers are all at least $20 million over the cap roughly a week away from free agency. Expect more cuts and restructures from all three teams over the next few days.

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

, New Orleans Saints

, Green Bay Packers

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 7, 2022, 5:28 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:07 am

Falcons are restructuring Matt Ryan’s contract to clear cap space

His $48.6 million cap hit would’ve actually been the largest for any player in NFL history if it untouched. However, it is a bit misleading. Ryan isn’t the highest-paid player in the league; his cap hit was just the highest.

Ryan’s actual salary is just $16.25 million, with a $7.5 million roster bonus due in March, which is just $23.75 million. The rest is all prorated bonus money from restructuring Ryan’s contract year after year. So, the nearly $50 million cap hit is a bit deceiving.

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-restructure-matt-ryans-contract-to-clear-cap-space/

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#23 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:24 pm

The Saints or Panthers? Sucks we will have him in our division.

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports Deshaun Watson has "rejected everybody but Carolina and New Orleans.”  

McClain's report falls in line with ESPN's Adam Schefter's Monday report that Watson will meet with the Saints and Panthers, amid his deposition in 22 civil cases alleging sexual assault against the Houston quarterback. Watson is expected to meet with both teams in Texas Monday night. The Texans' asking price for Watson reportedly hasn't changed: The team still wants multiple first rounders and players in a blockbuster deal for Watson. Carolina would seem like a nominally better landing spot for Watson's fantasy prospects. Later reports would note that Watson nixed Seattle from the list of possible destinations while the Texans didn't pick up the phone for Indianapolis in order to keep him out of the AFC South. 

SOURCE: Kyle Bailey on Twitter

Mar 14, 2022, 5:36 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#24 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Second highest paid kicker.

Falcons re-signed K Younghoe Koo to a five-year, $24.25 million contract.

Koo is getting $11.5 million guaranteed. He was set to be a restricted free agent, but the Falcons are instead locking him up through his age-32 season. Koo is now the league's second-highest paid kicker at $4.85 million per year, trailing only Justin Tucker at $5 million. Koo bounced around the league a bit with the Chargers and Patriots before settling in with the Falcons in 2019. He's been dynamite in Atlanta, drilling 92.6% of his field goals, going 87-of-94 in three years, and 95.1% of his extra points in that span. He's also 13-of-14 on field goals of 50-plus yards. Koo deserves the pay day.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 15, 2022, 1:16 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#25 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:50 pm

ESPN's Adam Schefter said the Falcons have "emerged as a sleeper team" to acquire Deshaun Watson. 

Schefter reports team owner Arthur Blank is "fond" of Watson, and PFN's Aaron Wilson reports the Falcons are scheduled to meet with Watson on Wednesday. The Falcons join the Browns, Panthers, and Saints as finalists to land Watson, whose legal situation (sexual assault allegations from 22 women) remains murky. A deal for Watson would probably involve dealing Matt Ryan to Houston. That would require the Falcons to eat more than $27 million in dead money. Ryan, who will turn 37 in May, might retire before he plays for the dead-on-arrival Texans in 2022. Watson would make for a marked upgrade for Kyle Pitts and whoever else is catching passes for the Falcons. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 15, 2022, 11:43 AM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#26 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:01 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:27 am

We received a compensatory pick from the NFL. Pick #213 (6th Round)

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports both the Panthers and Saints are offering at least three first-round picks for Deshaun Watson. 

RapSheet also reports the Falcons are still seeking a meeting. Watson met with the Browns on Tuesday evening. Rapoport's gut is that the Saints are in an "advantageous" position. This seems close to a resolution, but that has been the case for several days. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 15, 2022, 10:41 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#29 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:24 pm

Julio Jones has been released. I hope we don't bother trying to sign him.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:59 pm

ATLANTA FALCONS

[https://www]

Falcons signed RB Damien Williams, formerly of the Bears, to a one-year contract. 

29-year-old Williams probably instantly slots in as the Falcons' "No. 1 back" ahead of holdovers Mike Davis and Qadree Ollison, though that will be only temporary. Cordarrelle Patterson's market has been dead silent, but it is possible if not probable he ultimately re-signs. Heading into his age-30 campaign, Williams would ideally slot in as the 1B or 1C back in a multi-man committee. The 2020 COVID opt-out handled the ball 56 replacement-level times for the Bears in 2021. There is no longer any reason to keep him around in Dynasty leagues. That could change depending on what the Falcons do or don't do in their backfield. They have so many needs that running back could end up neglected. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by HMFFL » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:43 pm

ATLANTA FALCONS

Falcons re-signed Cordarrelle Patterson.

Patterson had a career year in Atlanta, rushing for 618 yards and six touchdowns and catching 52 passes for 548 yards and five touchdowns. The Falcons limited his role down the stretch, with Patterson totaling just 37 touches and getting averaging under 30 rushing yards in the season's final month. With Mike Davis plodding to 3.6 YPC as last year's starter, Patterson returns as the favorite for touches in Atlanta, though it will be hard for him to repeat his 2021 success. The Falcons are likely to add backfield competition for Patterson in the draft. 

SOURCE: NFL Network

Mar 19, 2022, 12:32 PM ET

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,677

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:02 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:03 pm

ATLANTA FALCONS

Falcons signed Marcus Mariota, formerly of the Raiders, to a two-year contract.

Atlanta shipped Matt Ryan to the Colts for a third-round pick earlier in the day, leaving them with just Feleipe Franks on the roster. After being supplanted by Ryan Tannehill in Tennessee a few years ago, Mariota joined the Raiders to be Derek Carr's backup for two seasons. He did start any games but saw some action because of in-game injuries to Carr. Mariota completed 60 percent of his 30 throws at 7.7 yards per attempt. He also added 13 carries for 87 yards and a rushing score while occasionally seeing the field as a short-yardage quarterback. Mariota now gets a chance to revive his career with Falcons head coach Arthur Smith, who he previously played under while with the Titans. Atlanta is now in the midst of a full rebuild, so a quarterback who, at his best, is a plus game-manager makes sense for a team in need of a bridge to the passer of their future. Expect Mariota to feed Kyle Pitts short and intermediate targets for as long as he holds onto the starting job in Atlanta.

RELATED: 

Las Vegas Raiders

Mar 21, 2022, 3:47 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#34 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:23 pm

Tyreek Hill? If we don't intend on doing a full rebuild.

Contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/tyreek-hill-19119/

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports free agent Marquez Valdes-Scantling is visiting the Chiefs on Wednesday. 

This visit comes right on the heels of the Chiefs giving Tyreek Hill permission to seek a trade after extension talks broke down. Valdes-Scantling is nothing close to the playmaker Hill is, but he would at least offer some field-stretching ability if the Chiefs end up losing their WR1. The Packers, who lost Davante Adams this offseason, are reportedly interested in bringing back Valdes-Scantling.

RELATED: 

Kansas City Chiefs

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:56 pm

HMFFL wrote:Tyreek Hill? If we don't intend on doing a full rebuild.

Contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/tyreek-hill-19119/

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports free agent Marquez Valdes-Scantling is visiting the Chiefs on Wednesday. 

This visit comes right on the heels of the Chiefs giving Tyreek Hill permission to seek a trade after extension talks broke down. Valdes-Scantling is nothing close to the playmaker Hill is, but he would at least offer some field-stretching ability if the Chiefs end up losing their WR1. The Packers, who lost Davante Adams this offseason, are reportedly interested in bringing back Valdes-Scantling.

RELATED: 

Kansas City Chiefs

Nevermind

[
Dolphins acquired WR Tyreek Hill from the Chiefs in exchange for five draft picks including 2022 first-round and second-round picks.

The full haul is a first (pick 29), a second (50), and a fourth-round pick in 2022, as well as a fourth and sixth-round pick in 2023. The Dolphins will now get to work on finalizing a contract extension with Hill that will make him the highest-paid wide receiver in league history. Hill will likely serve as a direct replacement for DeVante Parker, who is now almost certain to be playing elsewhere in 2022. Jaylen Waddle will join Hill in 2WR sets, and should now face far less defensive attention than he otherwise would have. Targets could be in short supply in Miami, with Mike McDaniel repeatedly emphasizing the run game in media appearances this offseason. However, his passing game should be highly efficient as he makes creative use of multiple elite speed wide receivers, with a focus on generating yards after the catch. Hill's fantasy stock takes a hit with this move, but he should still be viewed as a fantasy WR1, even if he is no longer a truly elite fantasy option.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 23, 2022, 12:40 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:58 am

As for the 8th pick in the draft I'm leaning towards passing on a QB.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:00 pm

ATLANTA FALCONS

Falcons signed WR KhaDarel Hodge, formerly of the Lions, to a one-year contract.

Hodge, 27, has spent his four pro season bouncing around with the Rams, Browns, and Lions, catching a total of 30 passes for 430 scoreless yards in 55 games while being a key cog on special teams. He's the Falcons' first addition at wideout this offseason despite losing Calvin Ridley to a yearlong suspension and Russell Gage in free agency.

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

Mar 25, 2022, 3:56 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 6, 2022 9:21 pm

Marcus Mariota's opportunity, Malik Willis at No. 8, drafting a running back in 2022 NFL Draft

We also discuss taking a top tackle early in this Wednesday mailbag

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/bair-mail-on-marcus-mariota-s-opportunity-malik-willis-at-no-8-drafting-a-runnin

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:15 pm

A trade for A.J. Brown, DK Metcalf, and other potential draft day moves 

A look at four potential draft day trades the Falcons could make in the 2022 NFL Draft.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/a-trade-for-a-j-brown-dk-metcalf-and-other-potential-draft-day-moves

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#40 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:11 pm

ESPN's Jeff Darlington reports Deebo Samuel has told the 49ers he would like to be traded. 

Samuel's brother said as much in a Facebook comment yesterday, and now national media has confirmed. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the trade request was made "more than a week ago" and the 49ers "have been aware of Deebo's feelings for a while." Extension conversations between the two sides have gone nowhere, and the wide receiver deleted all mentions of the team from his social media accounts earlier this month. It is not a given Samuel is traded -- the 49ers have known about Samuel's discontent for a while and have yet to make a move -- but it seems like he is on track to be the next in a long line of big-name wide receivers who have moved this offseason. If a trade is going to happen, it would make sense for the 49ers to get something done prior to next Thursday's draft, one that is filled with talent at receiver. 

SOURCE: Jeff Darlington on Twitter

Apr 20, 2022, 12:51 PM ET

Return to Atlanta Falcons