ImageImageImageImageImage

Suns are done. Time to bring back KD?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,255

Re: Kevin Durant - One Last Dance with the Dubs? 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:39 pm

yes, already laid out my plan that would include Wiggy/Dray for KD.

I think people are overestimating what 36 year old KD will get in the open trade market at this point
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Re: Suns are done. Time to bring back KD? 

Post#22 » by HiRez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:24 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Yes. And I think Durant would relish seeing Draymond sent out of town for the condition of his return.

I do think that would be a condition, if he even is interested. And since I don't see them parting ways with Draymond now, it's a non-starter. Plus, adding another soon to be 36 year old just doesn't feel like the right answer for this team. We need youth. Youth with some experience, but youth.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

Post#23 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:yes, already laid out my plan that would include Wiggy/Dray for KD.

I think people are overestimating what 36 year old KD will get in the open trade market at this point

Clyde, it sometimes seems you and I share the same basketball minds. Unless this was a sarcastic / trolling take on a deal surrounding KD? :lol:
clyde21
RealGM

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:38 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
clyde21 wrote:yes, already laid out my plan that would include Wiggy/Dray for KD.

Clyde, it sometimes seems you and I share the same basketball minds. Unless this was a sarcastic / trolling take on a deal surrounding KD? :lol:

no, check the trade thread, i already floated this proposal, plus others I would do (Kuminga for Mobley, Podz/TJD for AB, and drafting Oso/Bridges).
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#25 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:42 pm

whatisacenter wrote:no more old dudes please and get rid of all the ones currently on the roster not named Steph.

Out with it!
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,279

Post#26 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
Impuniti wrote:There's nothing golden about that. If KD were to join, you need youth and energy. This team has been getting its ass kicked in 4th quarters due to energy, and you want to add another 36 year old with these fossils in the hope that it works out.

Plenty you can find in the G-League with energy, hunger and hustle.

Seems what you're asking for are young (GOOD) players who were probably top-14 picks from the last couple drafts on rookie contracts (early to mid 20 year olds), and who are about to scratch the surface of their potential. And they're more likely going to command multi-year deal contracts in 1-2 years.

Warriors aren't in position to acquire young talent to align with their competitive window (As we've seen the last few seasons), and the window to compete is slowly closing. We need established veterans, role players, and below-the-radar young talents to round up the make-up of the team. No time to develop. Unless Warriors can really overhaul their talent by getting rid of Klay and Green (The core nucleus), you're going to have a hard time replicating the success as you'd have newer players to find out their strengths and weaknesses -- which potentially will force them to run a whole different offensive system and defensive schemes. It might turn out great, it might turn out horrendous. More times when you change everything that the team is known for, it's going to take time to find that identity, and not sure this team wants to go through that (again). If it doesn't work out, an infuriated Mr. Curry will want to bolt, get his trade request fulfilled, and we start the whole rebuild mode.

What's your take?

I don't have a problem bringing KD, the issue is this team has a bunch of very old players and a coach whose mentally unstable in doing everything he can to play the old guys as much as possible. Now if this deal meant Klay and Kerr are let go, and the team figures out a way to get some of the younger guys to play, that's different. Steph and KD offensively with 2-3 other solid shooters/offensive players would be alright defensively. The question then is defense, hustle and rebounding.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,279

Post#27 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Yes. And I think Durant would relish seeing Draymond sent out of town for the condition of his return.

That would be absolutely hysterical. :lol: Make it happen Lacob!
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,088

Post#28 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:07 pm

Its not what they would get..

Its what the Suns would be looking for.. the odds that shuffling some parts around changing anything for them is slim to none. They would be better off shipping Booker to say, ORL, and trying to accumulate as many 1sts as possible there.. and then doing the same with KD. As it stands, I dont think they control a single 1 of their 1sts until 2031

So unless they can get 1sts for Wiggins/Dray, they likely would be entertaining offers from others. And also, if they can get 1sts for those guys.. the Warriors should be doing that already. At least Wiggins for sure, Dray at least has value as a vet who's not going to steal shots from the youth and can help defensively

Also the only reason this is a conversation is because of the Kerr extension.. would imagine if he stepped aside after this past season, bringing in a 36 y/o guy with a serious foot and achilles injury would be immediately off the table. Frankly it should be anyways, as the decline for those injuries is severe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,088

Post#29 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:16 pm

One last note.. why trade vets if we're bringing in KD?

Assuming Klay is not retained (ie - cap renounced), we'd be under the 2nd apron so we'd be looking at the 110% rule. KD's cap hit is 51.1m. CP3 (30m), Kuminga (7.6m; 37.6 total), Looney (8m, 45.6 total), and Gui Santos (1.8m, 47.4m total) would be enough. Then Wiggins and Dray are kept for an actual 2-year run with the most proven talent

Curry/Wiggins/KD/Dray/TJD w/Podz, GP2, Moody off the bench is a very solid 8 man rotation. Would need to iron out the big man roles, and I know people are advocating signing the Goga for the MLE, but have to wonder if he's going to get that considering he's almost entirely out of the Magic's rotation. A one year prove it deal, with only TJD ahead of him.. maybe he goes for that?

But that's pretty much the only circumstance I'd really want KD anyways
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,829

Post#30 » by floppymoose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:no more old dudes please and get rid of all the ones currently on the roster not named Steph.

If you can come up with trade scenarios that involves ridding of Klay, Green, CP3 and Wiggins, I'm all ears to hear it out because good luck trying to find out who wants these old heads, anyway?

You dont have to trade to get rid of Klay and CP3
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,079

Post#31 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:28 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Out with it!

Let CP38 and Klay walk and hope Draymond’s BFF wants him for a poo poo platter of Lakers’ others(Rui/Vando)-just no dLo.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
clyde21
RealGM

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:30 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:

Its not what they would get..

Its what the Suns would be looking for.. the odds that shuffling some parts around changing anything for them is slim to none. They would be better off shipping Booker to say, ORL, and trying to accumulate as many 1sts as possible there.. and then doing the same with KD. As it stands, I dont think they control a single 1 of their 1sts until 2031

So unless they can get 1sts for Wiggins/Dray, they likely would be entertaining offers from others. And also, if they can get 1sts for those guys.. the Warriors should be doing that already. At least Wiggins for sure, Dray at least has value as a vet who's not going to steal shots from the youth and can help defensively

Also the only reason this is a conversation is because of the Kerr extension.. would imagine if he stepped aside after this past season, bringing in a 36 y/o guy with a serious foot and achilles injury would be immediately off the table. Frankly it should be anyways, as the decline for those injuries is severe

they can look for whatever they want the market will decide, if it's too much we walk away but I don't think they are gonna get much better than Wiggy/Dray for a 36-year old often-injured Durant that couldn't even get 1 game in R1.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#33 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:41 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

If you can come up with trade scenarios that involves ridding of Klay, Green, CP3 and Wiggins, I'm all ears to hear it out because good luck trying to find out who wants these old heads, anyway?

Let CP and Klay walk.

Hope some franchise thinks Draymond is the missing piece.

Keep Wiggins.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#34 » by sonnyhill » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 pm

Onus wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:A first round and swept out is almost as bad as not making the PO at all... I think all bets are off. The biggest issue i see is the huge contract that Beal has -- he either needs to dramatically increase his production or his will be the worst contract in the NBA. Which is why I think the Suns might do the deal.

On the picks -- we'll see what they might want, if they're willing to deal him at all (and probably only if he wants to move.) Don't know how he would feel about coming back - especially with Draymond still here.

And to all the KD haters -- he won 2 finals MVP's, and did the Dubs a solid on his way out. Are you a "real GM" or not?

How did KD do us a solid on his way out? He's the one that forced us to give up a 1st when the Nets didn't want one.

KD also gave up compensation so that the team could re-sign West, Livingston and Iguodala.

KD could have just left the Warriors, but did the sign and trade so that the Warriors could get back an asset, DLo, which the team flipped for Wiggins and the pick which became Kuminga.

KD probably would not want to come back to a team coached by the sanctimonious Kerr. KD already saved the franchise once. Why would he want to do it again?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#35 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:45 pm

Wiggy reverted back to the old Wiggy this season, don't like it, I think we should trade him while his value is relatively high and two years ago is still in people's memory
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#36 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 pm

floppymoose wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

I'm quite a bit behind on the newer CBA rulings, but is there still a sign-and-trade dealings these days?
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#37 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:09 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
Onus wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:A first round and swept out is almost as bad as not making the PO at all... I think all bets are off. The biggest issue i see is the huge contract that Beal has -- he either needs to dramatically increase his production or his will be the worst contract in the NBA. Which is why I think the Suns might do the deal.

On the picks -- we'll see what they might want, if they're willing to deal him at all (and probably only if he wants to move.) Don't know how he would feel about coming back - especially with Draymond still here.

And to all the KD haters -- he won 2 finals MVP's, and did the Dubs a solid on his way out. Are you a "real GM" or not?

How did KD do us a solid on his way out? He's the one that forced us to give up a 1st when the Nets didn't want one.

KD also gave up compensation so that the team could re-sign West, Livingston and Iguodala.

KD could have just left the Warriors, but did the sign and trade so that the Warriors could get back an asset, DLo, which the team flipped for Wiggins and the pick which became Kuminga.

KD probably would not want to come back to a team coached by the sanctimonious Kerr. KD already saved the franchise once. Why would he want to do it again?

To me, the narrative is different/changed from almost a decade ago (Crazy to think, right?). I think it's more about seeing if the older superstar players still has what it takes to compete and win 1-2 more championships. I guess if you're giving up quite a few assets to get really KD and Curry on one team, that'll be the challenge to see if just those 2 can make it happen.

But, with that mid-to-late 2nd round pick for Bronny and LeBron coming here?

Curry, KD & Bron.. a lot riding on this one than ever before.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#38 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

I'm quite a bit behind on the newer CBA rulings, but is there still a sign-and-trade dealings these days?

The team that receives the player via S&T needs to be under the cap.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#39 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

The team that receives the player via S&T needs to be under the cap.

I see. Then yeah, Klay and CP3 have no choice but to either receive MLE/Veteran's Minimum from us or play else where for more $$$/opportunities. This ball club ain't it right now.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#40 » by sonnyhill » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:24 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
Onus wrote:How did KD do us a solid on his way out? He's the one that forced us to give up a 1st when the Nets didn't want one.

To me, the narrative is different/changed from almost a decade ago (Crazy to think, right?). I think it's more about seeing if the older superstar players still has what it takes to compete and win 1-2 more championships. I guess if you're giving up quite a few assets to get really KD and Curry on one team, that'll be the challenge to see if just those 2 can make it happen.

But, with that mid-to-late 2nd round pick for Bronny and LeBron coming here?

Curry, KD & Bron.. a lot riding on this one than ever before.

While difficult to watch, this season's playoffs do clearly show how an older, slower, and more injury-prone roster is just not going to compete against younger, quicker-faster-taller, and more athletic rosters.

The era of Curry, LeBron, and Durant is over, and the sooner that the Warriors, Lakers, and Suns franchises acknowledge this, the sooner that they will be able to rebuild.

If anything, the combination of messing up the Wiseman pick (wrong player picked? poor development plan? injuries? etc.), stunting the development of Kuminga and Moody (by favoring Lamb and Jerome, instead), the dropoff in level of play by Curry-Thompson-and-Green, and not having length and athleticism on the roster have doomed the Warriors into a place of purgutory. The sooner that MDJ tears the roster down and does a rebuild, the sooner the team can get back into competitive contention. Also, unlike OKC and Houston, the Warriors do actually have younger foundational pieces whom MDJ can build upon.

Return to Golden State Warriors