Post#1341 » by superunknown » Fri May 3, 2024 7:11 pm

silver is a clown. he's always been.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,089

Re: Around the NBA V: Live and Let Die 

Post#1342 » by CDM_Stats » Fri May 3, 2024 7:45 pm

Really holding out hope that I can get my 3 bets into the final 4 :pray:

I feel great about OKC and MIN's chances. I'm not as optimistic about IND after looking through NY's advanced metrics, especially with a full squad. But if OKC/MIN get to WCF I'll be extremely happy. That parlay will get a new laptop
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#1343 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 3, 2024 8:23 pm

wco81 wrote:That might be great for parity and preventing dynasties. It's also great for owners as it keeps overall salaries down. What is baffling is why the players went along with it, including cap smoothing to prevent cap spikes, despite any big increases in revenues.

That's not how it works. The players are still guaranteed about 50% of revenues. That doesn't change no matter how much the revenue increases.

For instance if the NBA gets anywhere near 3X the TV money they're trying to get, it's a huge influx of revenues but the most salaries can increase per year is like 10%. Again, how does that benefit the players? It doesn't and it's going to lead to more big inequality in salaries between the super Max players and the rest.

The most maximum salaries can increase is 10%. There is no restriction on other salaries, which is, of course, the great majority of the league. Since the owners have to spend about 50% of this increased revenue it will lead to more equality in salaries.

The NFL can have a lot of starters on rookie contracts. The NBA can't always have that. Sure high lottery picks will always get playing time from their rookie season onwards. But good players will command big salaries and pretty soon teams are facing punitive luxury taxes and other penalties.

It sounds like you would do away with luxury taxes and other restrictions such as the Aprons. And do away with any attempt at parity. Is that what you're arguing for?

So you will never get NFL style parity nor engaged fan base outside of maybe 20-25 teams during the season.

20-25 teams out of 30 sounds like a lot of engaged fan bases. It kind of sounds like parity.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#1344 » by vvoland » Fri May 3, 2024 8:57 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
wco81 wrote:That might be great for parity and preventing dynasties. It's also great for owners as it keeps overall salaries down. What is baffling is why the players went along with it, including cap smoothing to prevent cap spikes, despite any big increases in revenues.

That's not how it works. The players are still guaranteed about 50% of revenues. That doesn't change no matter how much the revenue increases.

For instance if the NBA gets anywhere near 3X the TV money they're trying to get, it's a huge influx of revenues but the most salaries can increase per year is like 10%. Again, how does that benefit the players? It doesn't and it's going to lead to more big inequality in salaries between the super Max players and the rest.

The most maximum salaries can increase is 10%. There is no restriction on other salaries, which is, of course, the great majority of the league. Since the owners have to spend about 50% of this increased revenue it will lead to more equality in salaries.

The NFL can have a lot of starters on rookie contracts. The NBA can't always have that. Sure high lottery picks will always get playing time from their rookie season onwards. But good players will command big salaries and pretty soon teams are facing punitive luxury taxes and other penalties.

It sounds like you would do away with luxury taxes and other restrictions such as the Aprons. And do away with any attempt at parity. Is that what you're arguing for?

So you will never get NFL style parity nor engaged fan base outside of maybe 20-25 teams during the season.

20-25 teams out of 30 sounds like a lot of engaged fan bases. It kind of sounds like parity.

I think this parity/NFL conversation is missing the forest for the trees. The reason the NFL is king isn't "parity" or anything else other than... they play 17 times all season. It's appointment viewing: it's every Sunday at 10am or 1pm and that's all you get until next year. Sure, there may be a Thu or Mon night thrown in at some point, but people know that weeks in advance and it doesn't change how big each game is and how predictable the viewing slots are. There's just no catching up to that unless the NBA goes to a 40 game schedule and a single elimination playoff format.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1345 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 4, 2024 4:25 am

xdrta+ wrote:Of the top ten highest spending teams, only two have advanced to the 2nd round. (Clippers still might.)
Read on Twitter

And then there were 2
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#1346 » by DevinVassell » Sat May 4, 2024 5:38 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:Of the top ten highest spending teams, only two have advanced to the 2nd round. (Clippers still might.)
Read on Twitter

And then there were 2

That's actually awesome. Love seeing all the higher spenders crash and burn.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1347 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 4, 2024 6:09 am

DevinVassell wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Read on Twitter

And then there were 2

That's actually awesome. Love seeing all the higher spenders crash and burn.

Restrictive cap is changing the game.. unless you luck into a franchise player like SA or Jokic, you want as many whacks at the pinata as you can get. 2 of OKC's 3 best players were late lotto guys.. Boston traded a face of their franchise and wound up with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum for it...Wolves have 2 former #1s.. 3 of the 4 odds on favorites to win are great examples of knowing when to go all-in on the rebuild. Well not the Wolves I guess. Imagine if they never pulled the string on the Wiggins trade and let him be a #3/#4, while keeping their #7 pick. Coulda had Franz too :dontknow:

Meanwhile the Suns seem hellbent on digging themselves deeper into the hole

Teams like GSW, MIA, LAL, and LAC have some serious choices to make this offseason. Think we all know what the smartest way to go is, but do any of them have the balls to do it?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1348 » by wco81 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:13 am

vvoland wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I think this parity/NFL conversation is missing the forest for the trees. The reason the NFL is king isn't "parity" or anything else other than... they play 17 times all season. It's appointment viewing: it's every Sunday at 10am or 1pm and that's all you get until next year. Sure, there may be a Thu or Mon night thrown in at some point, but people know that weeks in advance and it doesn't change how big each game is and how predictable the viewing slots are. There's just no catching up to that unless the NBA goes to a 40 game schedule and a single elimination playoff format.

No but it’s Silver who believes in parity.

They’ll still send the Lakers to the FT line a lot but he supposedly thinks super teams and dynasties hurt the teams appeal.

But the teams which get the biggest ratings are the big market teams or teams with players like Bron or Curry still. ESPN talked up the Lakers and Warriors chances all season, even up to when it was clear they were both play in teams.

The Warriors and Kings play in game got big ratings. So did one of the Lakers games vs. Denver.

Most of the other playoffs games seem not to have gotten as big ratings. Look at the times they scheduled some of the Celtics and Heat games. Philly and NY may have done right.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,909

Post#1349 » by cdubbz » Sun May 5, 2024 1:38 am

Imagine if Wiseman was the player that Ant man has become.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1350 » by wco81 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:46 am

Anyone watching the post-game presser with this Wolves assist coach because Finch is injured?

He's spilling EVERYTHING. Talking about their strategies for Jokic and Murray, talking about "points of emphasis."

And he's sitting out there a long time too. I think this guy gets a little limelight and he's getting carried away.

I guess he's auditioning for future HC jobs. :lol:
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 457

Post#1351 » by superunknown » Sun May 5, 2024 5:33 pm

edwards wow.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,928

Post#1352 » by Hoopstar23 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:25 pm

cdubbz wrote:Imagine if Wiseman was the player that Ant man has become.
Now he's China level player maybe Puerto Rico level if he's not improving

Sent from my SM-G998U using RealGM mobile app
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,909

Post#1353 » by cdubbz » Mon May 6, 2024 12:03 am

wco81 wrote:Anyone watching the post-game presser with this Wolves assist coach because Finch is injured?

He's spilling EVERYTHING. Talking about their strategies for Jokic and Murray, talking about "points of emphasis."

And he's sitting out there a long time too. I think this guy gets a little limelight and he's getting carried away.

I guess he's auditioning for future HC jobs. :lol:

I was wondering if anyone else noticed it too :lol:

But at the same time none of it is really a secret - Mike Malone an his staff literally have the tape and can see what they were doing. Not concerned about giving away strategies AFTER the game.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#1354 » by xdrta+ » Mon May 6, 2024 3:55 pm

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM

Post#1355 » by wco81 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:11 pm

Orlando can offer Franz an extension this fall and Paolo in the fall of 2025.

So that cap space is going to be absorbed quickly.

They supposedly are interested in Monk and PG too.

They're a mid-market team, #16 in market size, below Minnesota, Detroit and Denver, just ahead of Miami -- surprised they have a bigger market than Miami.

In a couple of years they'll be up against the tax or the first apron too. They have a few free agents this summer, Fultz, Harris, Bitadze.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,368

Post#1356 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 1:14 am

Damn everyone is pressing full court now in the playoffs. Really need to have a deep team and multiple handlers.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#1357 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 3:10 am

Damn these wolves look amazing on defense. Just so much length and athleticism on the perimeter.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1358 » by CDM_Stats » Tue May 7, 2024 3:58 am

Onus wrote:Damn these wolves look amazing on defense. Just so much length and athleticism on the perimeter.

Nuggets struggle with consistent ball-pressure, Wolves are excellent at it

Nuggets struggle with athletic guards... Wolves have Ant

I think the West plays out like I said earlier, because the other "great" team that has serious weaknesses? Dallas

Out East, Knicks were gifted a game 1 win at home on some sketchy calls, but thats going to be a good series. Both teams are better than people think they are. Brunson/NYK are the Ant/MIN of the East, and I really undersold what Brunson is. He's a legit #1.. I know people are prepping for Boston to come out of the East, but with the way they match up against NYK/IND, I really think whoever wins that series is going to rep the East. Especially if the Cavs put up a solid fight against Boston.. not betting on that though. It took some straight up heroism from Mitchell just to clear the Magic
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 205

Post#1359 » by BayAreaDub » Tue May 7, 2024 4:21 am

Anthony Edwards is something else
Onus
RealGM

Post#1360 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 4:28 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:Damn these wolves look amazing on defense. Just so much length and athleticism on the perimeter.

Nuggets struggle with consistent ball-pressure, Wolves are excellent at it

Nuggets struggle with athletic guards... Wolves have Ant

I think the West plays out like I said earlier, because the other "great" team that has serious weaknesses? Dallas

Out East, Knicks were gifted a game 1 win at home on some sketchy calls, but thats going to be a good series. Both teams are better than people think they are. Brunson/NYK are the Ant/MIN of the East, and I really undersold what Brunson is. He's a legit #1.. I know people are prepping for Boston to come out of the East, but with the way they match up against NYK/IND, I really think whoever wins that series is going to rep the East. Especially if the Cavs put up a solid fight against Boston.. not betting on that though. It took some straight up heroism from Mitchell just to clear the Magic

No one wants to deal with this consistent pressure which is why having Draymond bring the ball up seems like the best move going forward. Which big can actually pressure full court like this.

Also Gordon is killing the nuggets. Being able to roam off of him is killing their offense and the nuggets don’t have the shooting to bring someone else in.

Return to Golden State Warriors