ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?)

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

vvoland
Senior
And1: 127

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?) 

Post#3361 » by vvoland » Mon May 13, 2024 8:00 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:You'd want Trae on the Magic?

If the Magic could swing a deal using guys like Black/Cole Anthony and a 1st or 2, I think thats a win-win. Magic could still re-sign Fultz (say at 15m/yr), and they'd do a lot to address their shooting problems. Hawks would likely need to re-route Black but he's still got upside as a light shooting/heavy creating PG.

Trae / Fultz
Suggs /
Franz / Jett / Houstan
Paolo / Isaac
WCJ / Mo

And they'd still have roughly 30m in cap to play with if they wanted to make the tragic mistake of adding Klay. Still think Hield would be better, and cheaper, and give them more space to get a 4/5 to account for Isaac's unreliability and Mo Wagners meh impact. But whatever.. I think it could have legs, if they wanted to go down that road

You think Trae is going to fetch roughly 3 1sts? DJM wasn't getting that.

I think Trae will net the Hawks more than DJM would have. There will be plenty of GMs in irrelevant situations who will be desperate for relevancy. Personally, I'd stay away from Trae, especially at his salary, but he'll be viewed as a bankable star. More important than winning games, for a lot of franchises, is getting seats and jerseys sold. Trae does that. I would imagine there will be plenty of suitors outside the Spurs/Magic teams that might have interest due to the way their teams are built. 3 firsts isn't that crazy. Again, I wouldn't trade for Trae but there will be enough teams that want him on the roster to drive the price up.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,120

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?) 

Post#3362 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 8:04 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

If the Magic could swing a deal using guys like Black/Cole Anthony and a 1st or 2, I think thats a win-win. Magic could still re-sign Fultz (say at 15m/yr), and they'd do a lot to address their shooting problems. Hawks would likely need to re-route Black but he's still got upside as a light shooting/heavy creating PG.

Trae / Fultz
Suggs /
Franz / Jett / Houstan
Paolo / Isaac
WCJ / Mo

And they'd still have roughly 30m in cap to play with if they wanted to make the tragic mistake of adding Klay. Still think Hield would be better, and cheaper, and give them more space to get a 4/5 to account for Isaac's unreliability and Mo Wagners meh impact. But whatever.. I think it could have legs, if they wanted to go down that road

I think ORL has an urgent need and a belief that those 1st arent going to be lower than 20. And I think Trae has enough skill to make it justifiable. We dont know what they wanted for DJM, but if they are pivoting to potentially trading Trae, then the idea has to be that they have a specific price point/value point that they want met, and who they trade between the 2 matters less to them than getting that value
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#3363 » by Onus » Mon May 13, 2024 8:35 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Trae / Fultz
Suggs /
Franz / Jett / Houstan
Paolo / Isaac
WCJ / Mo

I think Trae will net the Hawks more than DJM would have. There will be plenty of GMs in irrelevant situations who will be desperate for relevancy. Personally, I'd stay away from Trae, especially at his salary, but he'll be viewed as a bankable star. More important than winning games, for a lot of franchises, is getting seats and jerseys sold. Trae does that. I would imagine there will be plenty of suitors outside the Spurs/Magic teams that might have interest due to the way their teams are built. 3 firsts isn't that crazy. Again, I wouldn't trade for Trae but there will be enough teams that want him on the roster to drive the price up.

Personally I think DJM is better than Trae, so find it really hard that Trae will net more than DJM. If you have any hopes to actually contend going to be really hard with Trae. I don't know many fanbases that actually even like Trae's game. Maybe Nets, Wash, Det, Phx basically teams that are in dire straits with nowhere to go and not many assets.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#3364 » by Onus » Mon May 13, 2024 8:38 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Trae / Fultz
Suggs /
Franz / Jett / Houstan
Paolo / Isaac
WCJ / Mo

I think ORL has an urgent need and a belief that those 1st arent going to be lower than 20. And I think Trae has enough skill to make it justifiable. We dont know what they wanted for DJM, but if they are pivoting to potentially trading Trae, then the idea has to be that they have a specific price point/value point that they want met, and who they trade between the 2 matters less to them than getting that value

I'm shocked that you're so against the Magic signing Klay but would advocate that they trade assets for Trae.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3365 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 8:45 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:You think Trae is going to fetch roughly 3 1sts? DJM wasn't getting that.

I'm shocked that you're so against the Magic signing Klay but would advocate that they trade assets for Trae.

Other than them both being good shooters, there's no connection there. Trae can create for himself, but is woefully underused off-ball, which he wouldnt be in Orlando with Suggs/Franz/Paolo all running the offense more. And he's shot better from deep off C&S than on-ball. Magic need a true PG and a shooter, Trae checks both of this boxes. How is this at all related to Klay? A guy who was quitting on plays and isnt as reliable a shooter anymore despite nearly 3/4 of his shots being of the C&S variety compared to Trae who's usually closer to 1/10?
Onus
RealGM

Post#3366 » by Onus » Mon May 13, 2024 8:53 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Other than them both being good shooters, there's no connection there. Trae can create for himself, but is woefully underused off-ball, which he wouldnt be in Orlando with Suggs/Franz/Paolo all running the offense more. And he's shot better from deep off C&S than on-ball. Magic need a true PG and a shooter, Trae checks both of this boxes. How is this at all related to Klay? A guy who was quitting on plays and isnt as reliable a shooter anymore despite nearly 3/4 of his shots being of the C&S variety compared to Trae who's usually closer to 1/10?

That they're both losing type of players. Trae doesn't get c&s shots because he doesn't move off the ball. When he doesn't have the ball he just stands around. He's also allergic to defense in any way. I mean who really wants a chucking pg with avg efficiency, who plays no defense and if he doesn't have the ball in his hands just pouts in a corner.

I mean I get the magic needing a pg. Someone who can get Franz, Paolo better shots and into better spots with a live dribble rather than having to create everything themselves. They also need shooting desperately. So in theory Trae should be able to provide that. But damn for that team I'd rather have traded for DJM than Trae for Black and 2 1sts.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 127

Post#3367 » by vvoland » Mon May 13, 2024 9:23 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

You keep saying this but what is the tracking data that supports this statement?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3368 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 10:58 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:I'm shocked that you're so against the Magic signing Klay but would advocate that they trade assets for Trae.

You keep saying this but what is the tracking data that supports this statement?

You think tracking data shows when people quit on plays? Everybody saw it

I have tracking data that he sucks at defense, and is among the worst defenders in the post bar none. But everybody saw that too
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3369 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 11:12 pm

Onus wrote:That they're both losing type of players. Trae doesn't get c&s shots because he doesn't move off the ball. When he doesn't have the ball he just stands around. He's also allergic to defense in any way. I mean who really wants a chucking pg with avg efficiency, who plays no defense and if he doesn't have the ball in his hands just pouts in a corner.

I mean I get the magic needing a pg. Someone who can get Franz, Paolo better shots and into better spots with a live dribble rather than having to create everything themselves. They also need shooting desperately. So in theory Trae should be able to provide that. But damn for that team I'd rather have traded for DJM than Trae for Black and 2 1sts.

I dont think either is a losing type of player... there's actually very few of those. One who's success is predicated on the team's failure. Like a Monta or Maggette in the past.. that's not either of these guys. Trae is being asked to be their whole offense, systemically. I think they brought in DJM to help with that, but its hard to say where that broke down. But learning how to move off-ball is one of the easiest things to do, just requires a set system. Orlando is a slow paced, half-court, rigid system offense. I'm sure he'd be fine, especially since Paolo and Franz have the draft pedigree and couple years familiarity, so they'll still be leading the offense for stretches

And even if Trae is just a pylon on those plays, that's one less defender thats swiping at Suggs/Franz/Paolo while they drive... and if Mosley can't make an offense out of that, then he's better off as an AC. In Euroleague. B series.
Onus
RealGM

Post#3370 » by Onus » Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Trae is being asked to be their whole offense, systemically. I think they brought in DJM to help with that, but its hard to say where that broke down. But learning how to move off-ball is one of the easiest things to do, just requires a set system. Orlando is a slow paced, half-court, rigid system offense. I'm sure he'd be fine, especially since Paolo and Franz have the draft pedigree and couple years familiarity, so they'll still be leading the offense for stretches

And even if Trae is just a pylon on those plays, that's one less defender thats swiping at Suggs/Franz/Paolo while they drive... and if Mosley can't make an offense out of that, then he's better off as an AC. In Euroleague. B series.

That's what I mean. DJM was brought in to help so Trae doesn't have to be the whole offense and they didn't work together. And now you want him to share the ball with 2 more on ball players? Trae has been on ball his entire career and also in college.

Really if I'm the magic I'd take that package Black + 2 1sts and trade it for the no 1 and pick Reed Sheppard instead. Also I wouldn’t do that since it should cost less than that.

Edit: Just heard that the no 1 pick would go for a Lu Dort type player from Bill Simmons and Ryan Russillo.
Onus
RealGM

Post#3371 » by Onus » Tue May 14, 2024 1:57 am

Also should mention the hawks were looking for 2 1sts for djm and no one was willing to meet that. No way do they get 2 1sts for Trae.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#3372 » by Skybox » Sat May 18, 2024 1:51 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:They didn't like the value that DJM was getting they're going to hate the value that Trae is going to bring back.

Its a weird, fluid situation. They know that the 2 can't co-exist, but the prevailing thought was that Trae must clearly have more trade value to the rest of the league because he somewhat emulates Steph Curry. The difference is that Trae is super ball-dominant, and if you're going to be that, you'd better have a crazy good defense behind you and/or being ultra-efficient, which Trae is not. He's not a fatally flawed player by any means, but he is going to have to alter his game to be more off-ball if he's going to max out his impact. Instead of trying to be Steph, he'd be better off trying to be a better scoring Mark Price.. knock that usage down about 5-8% and try to spike his efficiency while doing so

A team like San Antonio would be perfect for him.. as would Orlando. But whats weird to me is that Trae is probably going to fit in less places than DJM, so I wouldnt expect Trae to have much more trade value unless people believe they are getting a star. And I dont think they really are, they are "only" getting a really good player who's been a #1 by default on a middle of the road team

You'd want Trae on the Magic?

Absolutely not (and I'm a fan). I'd love Murray but Trae (or even Luka) are so ball-dominant that it would basically shift the whole emphasis of the offense away from what Paolo and Franz do best. A combo guard with some PG skills, PnR ability, shooting, and overall scoring would be the ticket...that could be Monk, Garland, Herro, Simons, etc...but if you're ORL and you don't want to mess with your defensive identity - that leaves Murray and few others. Just talking fit-not overall value or place in the league.
Onus
RealGM

Post#3373 » by Onus » Sat May 18, 2024 2:06 pm

Skybox wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Its a weird, fluid situation. They know that the 2 can't co-exist, but the prevailing thought was that Trae must clearly have more trade value to the rest of the league because he somewhat emulates Steph Curry. The difference is that Trae is super ball-dominant, and if you're going to be that, you'd better have a crazy good defense behind you and/or being ultra-efficient, which Trae is not. He's not a fatally flawed player by any means, but he is going to have to alter his game to be more off-ball if he's going to max out his impact. Instead of trying to be Steph, he'd be better off trying to be a better scoring Mark Price.. knock that usage down about 5-8% and try to spike his efficiency while doing so

A team like San Antonio would be perfect for him.. as would Orlando. But whats weird to me is that Trae is probably going to fit in less places than DJM, so I wouldnt expect Trae to have much more trade value unless people believe they are getting a star. And I dont think they really are, they are "only" getting a really good player who's been a #1 by default on a middle of the road team

Absolutely not (and I'm a fan). I'd love Murray but Trae (or even Luka) are so ball-dominant that it would basically shift the whole emphasis of the offense away from what Paolo and Franz do best. A combo guard with some PG skills, PnR ability, shooting, and overall scoring would be the ticket...that could be Monk, Garland, Herro, Simons, etc...but if you're ORL and you don't want to mess with your defensive identity - that leaves Murray and few others. Just talking fit-not overall value or place in the league.

I think y’all should trade up for Reed Sheppard. Probably wouldn’t cost too much and he should fit exactly what y’all are looking for.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,350

Post#3374 » by wco81 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:21 pm

Magic need a PG but they have so many guards already on the roster.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3375 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 18, 2024 6:30 pm

Skybox wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Ball-dominant isnt a trait, its a symptom.. the Hawks drafted him as that, played him as that, because they needed him to be *the* guy. Magic wouldn't have that need, not as badly, so probably wouldnt need to deploy him the same way

Steph Curry, under Mark Jackson, was ball-dominant. Steph Curry, under Steve Kerr, was not, and became something better

As for defense, yeah, Trae sucks at that. But Magic are getting dangerously close to diminishing returns when stocking up on something.. excellent defensive team. But when they need a shot created, its a glut of secondary handlers. When they need a 3pt shot taken, its a glut of average shooters. I think they could easily take the defensive hit of a lackluster defensive PG if it knocks out 2 other huge needs at the same time.. its what the Warriors built around :dontknow:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#3376 » by Skybox » Sat May 18, 2024 6:41 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Ball-dominant isnt a trait, its a symptom.. the Hawks drafted him as that, played him as that, because they needed him to be *the* guy. Magic wouldn't have that need, not as badly, so probably wouldnt need to deploy him the same way

Steph Curry, under Mark Jackson, was ball-dominant. Steph Curry, under Steve Kerr, was not, and became something better

As for defense, yeah, Trae sucks at that. But Magic are getting dangerously close to diminishing returns when stocking up on something.. excellent defensive team. But when they need a shot created, it's a glut of secondary handlers. When they need a 3pt shot taken, it's a glut of average shooters. I think they could easily take the defensive hit of a lackluster defensive PG if it knocks out 2 other huge needs at the same time.. its what the Warriors built around :dontknow:

I think Curry parallel, while sensible, doesn't really apply. ATL added DJM to give Trae more time off-ball, and Trae basically refused to adapt his game. Curry is one of the elite cutters and movers in NBA history. Trae is a lot more Iverson than Curry...I believe Trae has excelled at every level playing the way he does and coaching won't change that, at this point. Supposedly, most of the team sided with the (now-fired) Coach, which is pretty telling about how Trae looks at his role...I also, kind of, don't blame him and think the smartest coach will work around that, like you would with Luka.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3377 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 18, 2024 6:56 pm

Skybox wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Skybox wrote:

As for defense, yeah, Trae sucks at that. But Magic are getting dangerously close to diminishing returns when stocking up on something.. excellent defensive team. But when they need a shot created, it's a glut of secondary handlers. When they need a 3pt shot taken, it's a glut of average shooters. I think they could easily take the defensive hit of a lackluster defensive PG if it knocks out 2 other huge needs at the same time.. its what the Warriors built around :dontknow:

I think Curry parallel, while sensible, doesn't really apply. ATL added DJM to give Trae more time off-ball, and Trae basically refused to adapt his game. Curry is one of the elite cutters and movers in NBA history. Trae is a lot more Iverson than Curry...I believe Trae has excelled at every level playing the way he does and coaching won't change that, at this point. Supposedly, most of the team sided with the (now-fired) Coach, which is pretty telling about how Trae looks at his role...I also, kind of, don't blame him and think the smartest coach will work around that, like you would with Luka.

You sure? I'm not saying it would definitely work, but Curry in 2013 wouldn't be parallel with Curry's career either. Ball dominant for 1.5 years of his college career, 5 years of ball dominant PG play (aged 25 at the time, pivoted at age 26 to a motion offense team). Trae had a ball dominant college "career", 6 years of ball dominant PG play at the time, and he's about to turn 26.. Magic are a type of motion offense team - a little iso heavy for my taste but to be expected with their pillars being so young. But point being.. if using the same criteria, you'd also be considering passing on Steph Curry in 2013, who wasn't considered an elite cutter or mover at that time

Figuring if it would work would take some knowledge - mainly, Trae's personality/willingness to adapt - that we as fans dont have, but the upside could be tremendous. Figure it would be a easy sell too - could literally just point at Curry. The other bugaboo would be Trae's stamina, as Curry is **** machine.. but just looking at his distance tracking makes me think Trae could handle it. I wouldnt write it off, because its a championship level upside kind of move. And unless the Magic are pushing for Booker (which they should), the rest of the options look more like singles and doubles for a team that could be swinging for the fences and striking while the iron is hot
Skybox
RealGM

Post#3378 » by Skybox » Sat May 18, 2024 7:13 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Skybox wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

You sure? I'm not saying it would definitely work, but Curry in 2013 wouldn't be parallel with Curry's career either. Ball dominant for 1.5 years of his college career, 5 years of ball dominant PG play (aged 25 at the time, pivoted at age 26 to a motion offense team). Trae had a ball dominant college "career", 6 years of ball dominant PG play at the time, and he's about to turn 26.. Magic are a type of motion offense team - a little iso heavy for my taste but to be expected with their pillars being so young. But point being.. if using the same criteria, you'd also be considering passing on Steph Curry in 2013, who wasn't considered an elite cutter or mover at that time

Figuring if it would work would take some knowledge - mainly, Trae's personality/willingness to adapt - that we as fans dont have, but the upside could be tremendous. Figure it would be an easy sell too - could literally just point at Curry. The other bugaboo would be Trae's stamina, as Curry is **** machine.. but just looking at his distance tracking makes me think Trae could handle it. I wouldnt write it off, because it's a championship level upside kind of move. And unless the Magic are pushing for Booker (which they should), the rest of the options look more like singles and doubles for a team that could be swinging for the fences and striking while the iron is hot

Believe me, if ORL gets Trae without giving up Paolo, Franz, and Suggs...I'll be VERY excited and on board :lol:

but sitting here, in the summer, with my slide rule and calculator at hand, I don't like the fit. I guess I point to the fact that it's, essentially, been decided that DJM or Trae will be moved this summer...that's evidence, to me, that it didn't work out...who knows, maybe it's DJM's fault, but most of what I recall was that, according to media outlets, Trae just couldn't adapt. Maybe a trade would be the slap-in-the-face he needs to be the best player he can.
Onus
RealGM

Post#3379 » by Onus » Sat May 18, 2024 8:06 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:You sure? I'm not saying it would definitely work, but Curry in 2013 wouldn't be parallel with Curry's career either. Ball dominant for 1.5 years of his college career, 5 years of ball dominant PG play (aged 25 at the time, pivoted at age 26 to a motion offense team). Trae had a ball dominant college "career", 6 years of ball dominant PG play at the time, and he's about to turn 26.. Magic are a type of motion offense team - a little iso heavy for my taste but to be expected with their pillars being so young. But point being.. if using the same criteria, you'd also be considering passing on Steph Curry in 2013, who wasn't considered an elite cutter or mover at that time

Figuring if it would work would take some knowledge - mainly, Trae's personality/willingness to adapt - that we as fans dont have, but the upside could be tremendous. Figure it would be an easy sell too - could literally just point at Curry. The other bugaboo would be Trae's stamina, as Curry is **** machine.. but just looking at his distance tracking makes me think Trae could handle it. I wouldnt write it off, because its a championship level upside kind of move. And unless the Magic are pushing for Booker (which they should), the rest of the options look more like singles and doubles for a team that could be swinging for the fences and striking while the iron is hot

Wait why do you think curry was ball dominant in college for 1.5 years? He played off ball in college until his junior year where they switched him to pg since that was the position he would need to play in the nba.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3380 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 18, 2024 8:25 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:You sure? I'm not saying it would definitely work, but Curry in 2013 wouldn't be parallel with Curry's career either. Ball dominant for 1.5 years of his college career, 5 years of ball dominant PG play (aged 25 at the time, pivoted at age 26 to a motion offense team). Trae had a ball dominant college "career", 6 years of ball dominant PG play at the time, and he's about to turn 26.. Magic are a type of motion offense team - a little iso heavy for my taste but to be expected with their pillars being so young. But point being.. if using the same criteria, you'd also be considering passing on Steph Curry in 2013, who wasn't considered an elite cutter or mover at that time

Figuring if it would work would take some knowledge - mainly, Trae's personality/willingness to adapt - that we as fans dont have, but the upside could be tremendous. Figure it would be an easy sell too - could literally just point at Curry. The other bugaboo would be Trae's stamina, as Curry is **** machine.. but just looking at his distance tracking makes me think Trae could handle it. I wouldnt write it off, because its a championship level upside kind of move. And unless the Magic are pushing for Booker (which they should), the rest of the options look more like singles and doubles for a team that could be swinging for the fences and striking while the iron is hot

Wait why do you think curry was ball dominant in college for 1.5 years? He played off ball in college until his junior year where they switched him to pg since that was the position he would need to play in the nba.

They actually made the switch in his sophomore season.. whatever positionally they wanted to call it, he became the increase in touches and handles happened towards the end of his 2nd season. Junior season is where he did it all season and proved he could do it

What was weird is that in his 2nd season, Steph was getting more touches than their ball-dominant PG (forget his name now) against the crappier teams, and less against the good ones. So it was a transitional period for him.. and that led to the 3rd year where he was the full time PG

Return to Golden State Warriors