ImageImageImageImageImage

WNBA: The Bay Area's new team name is....

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Do you like the team name & colors for Valkyries?

Yes to both
67%
No to both
8%
No to both
8%
Name yes, colors no
17%
Colors yes, name no
No votes

Total votes: 12

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,975

WNBA: The Bay Area's new team name is.... 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Tue May 14, 2024 5:20 pm

Golden State Valkyries! Thoughts?

Personally It's not the coolest name and doesn't roll off the tongue. Also can't shorten the name (Like Cavs & Mavs) without it sounding goofy - 'The Valks'.

Didn't think they would go with Sacramento Kings purple though which is odd to me. I thought going with the Warriors colors or a version of it would have been cooler and have more people wanting to wear it.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 72

Re: WNBA: The Bay Area's new team name is.... 

Post#2 » by bicycle » Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pm

They could shorten it to the Kyries instead
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#3 » by TB » Tue May 14, 2024 5:43 pm

Overall I like it a lot. The color seems to be a lighter shade than what the Kings use, so I have a feeling the jerseys will be easily distinguishable.

Excited to get some merch and go to games next year.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 794

Post#4 » by Old_Blue » Tue May 14, 2024 5:44 pm

A really questionable choice, for any time, let alone the present. Richard Wagner was an anti-Semite and his Ride of the Valkyrie was essentially the anthem of the Third Reich. Odd that these associations wouldn't be red flagged during the vetting process. :crazy:

Personally, I thought Riveters would have been a nice name, one with strong associations to the Bay Area's WW2 contributions.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#5 » by Senchu » Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 pm

Isn’t that cultural appropriation? :o
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,405

Post#6 » by CS707 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:25 pm

I'm good with the name but I'm surprised they didn't tie the branding in with the men's team more. The colors are Sacramento vibes and the logo looks more like the Santa Cruz Warriors than the NBA team.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,600

Post#7 » by HiRez » Tue May 14, 2024 11:56 pm

CS707 wrote:I'm good with the name but I'm surprised they didn't tie the branding in with the men's team more. The colors are Sacramento vibes and the logo looks more like the Santa Cruz Warriors than the NBA team.

Yeah, gold is the natural color for Valkyries, it's a strange choice. And the logo looks quite amateurish to me, like a local 80s metal band. They could do better.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,123

Post#8 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 15, 2024 1:07 am

cdubbz wrote:Golden State Valkyries! Thoughts?

Spoiler:

Personally It's not the coolest name and doesn't roll off the tongue. Also can't shorten the name (Like Cavs & Mavs) without it sounding goofy - 'The Valks'.

Didn't think they would go with Sacramento Kings purple though which is odd to me. I thought going with the Warriors colors or a version of it would have been cooler and have more people wanting to wear it.

I think 'Valks' is kind of cool.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 219

Post#9 » by BayAreaDub » Wed May 15, 2024 6:05 am

I don't mind it but they should've name the team "San Francisco ____"
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,834

Post#10 » by floppymoose » Wed May 15, 2024 6:39 pm

Old_Blue wrote:A really questionable choice, for any time, let alone the present. Richard Wagner was an anti-Semite and his Ride of the Valkyrie was essentially the anthem of the Third Reich. Odd that these associations wouldn't be red flagged during the vetting process.

Valkyrie predates Wagner by like, forever. If you are going to eliminate a name because someone did something bad with it at sometime, you are going to eliminate all of them.

I just like that the Valkyries carry the deceased Warriors off to Valhalla. That seems fitting given the age of the team.
Old_Blue
Veteran

Post#11 » by Old_Blue » Wed May 15, 2024 7:16 pm

floppymoose wrote:If you are going to eliminate a name because someone did something bad with it at sometime, you are going to eliminate all of them.

The same could be said about the swastika symbol. It has ancient Hindu and Buddhist associations. Appropriated by the Nazis, no team in their right mind would now self identify with the symbol. Which is to say that even the oldest names and symbols can take on entirely new and seemingly permanent meanings once linked to particularly traumatizing events or persons. That said, I think the Valkyrie name will probably fly under the radar unless and until either the team or someone associated with the team makes the unfortunate mistake of linking the team name to the song, Ride of the Valkyries. You only get to name a new team once though. Tempting an unforced error, rather than choosing any of a thousand other less provocative names, still seems puzzling.

https://apnews.com/article/religion-germany-race-and-ethnicity-europe-2c28b5892381cd4148dfde5bc4fbb004
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#12 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed May 15, 2024 7:25 pm

BayAreaDub wrote:I don't mind it but they should've name the team "San Francisco ____"

San Francisco Smugs
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#13 » by floppymoose » Wed May 15, 2024 7:49 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
floppymoose wrote:If you are going to eliminate a name because someone did something bad with it at sometime, you are going to eliminate all of them.

The same could be said about the swastika symbol.

It comes down to how the audience perceives it. I’m betting there will be no Wagner at the games, or Nazi film rolls. If despite that, a big chunk of audience perceives it as pro-nazi, then its an issue. If they are thinking of norse mythology instead, then not so much.
Old_Blue
Veteran

Post#14 » by Old_Blue » Wed May 15, 2024 7:55 pm

floppymoose wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:

The same could be said about the swastika symbol.

It comes down to how the audience perceives it. I’m betting there will be no Wagner at the games, or Nazi film rolls. If despite that, a big chunk of audience perceives it as pro-nazi, then its an issue. If they are thinking of norse mythology instead, then not so much.

So, what you're really saying is that the team needs a Viking horned helmet promotion! :D

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#15 » by floppymoose » Wed May 15, 2024 7:58 pm

The Vikings have their own moral baggage, if we really want to go there. :-D

But i doubt the audience will perceive that as a message from the team. But then again, i’m a different generation than a lot of the audience.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,124

Post#16 » by CDM_Stats » Wed May 15, 2024 10:42 pm

Old_Blue wrote:A really questionable choice, for any time, let alone the present. Richard Wagner was an anti-Semite and his Ride of the Valkyrie was essentially the anthem of the Third Reich. Odd that these associations wouldn't be red flagged during the vetting process. :crazy:

Personally, I thought Riveters would have been a nice name, one with strong associations to the Bay Area's WW2 contributions.

Riveters woulda been a cool one.. I like the Valkyrie name but had no idea of any Nazi association. It seems loose, more like a weird historical fact. Think it should play fine.. not too worried until a team is the Gestapo or Fightin’ Aryans
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#17 » by Coxy » Wed May 15, 2024 10:58 pm

I like it, Viking stuff is cool.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,359

Post#18 » by wco81 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:06 am

Old_Blue wrote:A really questionable choice, for any time, let alone the present. Richard Wagner was an anti-Semite and his Ride of the Valkyrie was essentially the anthem of the Third Reich. Odd that these associations wouldn't be red flagged during the vetting process. :crazy:

It's also some figure out of Norse mythology.

And it has nothing to do with the Bay Area.

As for the colors, some other WNBA team already has blue and gold as team colors. Lot of the uniforms were clearly modeled on NBA team uniforms.

In any event, I wish them and all WNBA luck, but not really interested in watching.
Old_Blue
Veteran

Post#19 » by Old_Blue » Fri May 17, 2024 2:05 am

As much as I hate saying it, the team colors probably should have been red and white. The Dubs' blue and gold plays off Cal's blue and gold. The women's squad could have played off Stanford's colors. Yuck. I feel like a traitor even suggesting it. Roll me up. :oops:
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#20 » by donkeylips » Sun May 26, 2024 5:53 pm

i like the name, as for the colors, ill wait for the jerseys
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.

Return to Golden State Warriors