Desperate Times

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 460

Re: Desperate Times 

Post#61 » by superunknown » Wed May 15, 2024 5:32 am

Onus wrote:
superunknown wrote:this team presently constructed is going nowhere.
simmons, no simmons, they need to grow some balls, get rid of some of the dead weight in the roster and get creative, possibly nailing a couple of hat-trick and decent role players.
they can't, they'll hit a brick wall again.

I'm curious to think who people see as dead weight

are you asking to me specifically? :D
RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 20

Post#62 » by RUN-TJM » Wed May 15, 2024 8:48 am

When Simmons plays, he plays hard. The effort on the court has never been a problem. His injury history and complete lack of shooting has really curtailed what was looking to be at one stage, an excellent career in the NBA.

He actually had better shooting form when he was 15. Don’t think he’s had the best advice.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#63 » by Onus » Wed May 15, 2024 12:44 pm

superunknown wrote:
Onus wrote:
superunknown wrote:this team presently constructed is going nowhere.
simmons, no simmons, they need to grow some balls, get rid of some of the dead weight in the roster and get creative, possibly nailing a couple of hat-trick and decent role players.
they can't, they'll hit a brick wall again.

I'm curious to think who people see as dead weight

Sure if you want to answer
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 460

Post#64 » by superunknown » Wed May 15, 2024 6:33 pm

Onus wrote:
superunknown wrote:
Onus wrote:I'm curious to think who people see as dead weight

klay
CP
loon
GPII
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,766

Post#65 » by azwfan » Wed May 15, 2024 7:45 pm

superunknown wrote:
Onus wrote:
superunknown wrote:

klay
CP
loon
GPII

I would add Wiggins personally due to being unreliable. Draymond isn't dead weight cause at least he's good when he's available, but he's close.
Wiggins + Looney + GP2 = $40M last year
Klay = 43M last year
CP3 = 30M last year
Draymond = 22M last year
That's 135M of bleh.

No wonder why we had the highest payroll and still sucked.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#66 » by Twinkie defense » Thu May 16, 2024 11:53 pm

GPII and Looney are not dead weight... for one their salaries are small. For another GPII is a point of attack baller and fits right into the Warriors' schemes. Only negative on GPII is he has not reliably been on the court. Loon - fits right in, plays an important position, doesn't complain about playing time. He had a down year this season but I think both these guys are excellent second half of the rotation Warriors.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#67 » by azwfan » Fri May 17, 2024 12:31 am

Twinkie defense wrote:GPII and Looney are not dead weight... for one their salaries are small. For another GPII is a point of attack baller and fits right into the Warriors' schemes. Only negative on GPII is he has not reliably been on the court. Loon - fits right in, plays an important position, doesn't complain about playing time. He had a down year this season but I think both these guys are excellent second half of the rotation Warriors.

If you're in the second half of the rotation for a lottery team, you're dead weight on a title team. JMHO
I can see a case being made for Looney for leadership reasons after reality finally sets on the old farts though.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,405

Post#68 » by SpreeS » Fri May 17, 2024 8:15 am

What size of contract we could use in free market if all 4 (Looney/GP2/Paul/Klay) are gone?
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#69 » by Warriorfan » Fri May 17, 2024 11:20 am

azwfan wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:GPII and Looney are not dead weight... for one their salaries are small. For another GPII is a point of attack baller and fits right into the Warriors' schemes. Only negative on GPII is he has not reliably been on the court. Loon - fits right in, plays an important position, doesn't complain about playing time. He had a down year this season but I think both these guys are excellent second half of the rotation Warriors.

If you're in the second half of the rotation for a lottery team, you're dead weight on a title team. JMHO
I can see a case being made for Looney for leadership reasons after reality finally sets on the old farts though.

Looney and GP2 helped win a championship but due to luxury repeater tax cost 50 mil each. On exp can be part of big deal.

Podz and Davis are cheaper replacement.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#70 » by azwfan » Fri May 17, 2024 3:34 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
azwfan wrote:

Looney and GP2 helped win a championship but due to luxury repeater tax cost 50 mil each. On exp can be part of big deal.

Rick Barry did too. Should he still be suiting up or maybe we can stop living in the past.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#71 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 17, 2024 4:05 pm

SpreeS wrote:What size of contract we could use in free market if all 4 (Looney/GP2/Paul/Klay) are gone?

If those 4 were gone with no salary coming back, the team salary would be about $130M for 8 players. This includes Looney's $3M. They could stretch Looney's $3M guarantee to $1M per year and lower the 130 to about $128M. Add about $4.5M for the incomplete roster charge (the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12) and you're up to about $132-33M. The projected cap is $141M, so there would be about $8-9M in cap room.

In this scenario they would have access to the $12.8M MLE, remembering that spending anything above $5.3M of it would hard-cap them at the 1st Apron, $178M.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,124

Post#72 » by CDM_Stats » Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 pm

I'm wagering they meant expendable over deadweight.. there's no Kelly Oubre in either of them
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#73 » by Twinkie defense » Fri May 17, 2024 6:32 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:

I'm wagering they meant expendable over deadweight.. there's no Kelly Oubre in either of them

No some people literally think these two are useless :dontknow:
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#74 » by Warriorfan » Fri May 17, 2024 7:27 pm

azwfan wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
azwfan wrote:If you're in the second half of the rotation for a lottery team, you're dead weight on a title team. JMHO

Rick Barry did too. Should he still be suiting up or maybe we can stop living in the past.

Per 36 min Looney is 10.8pts 12.6 rb for a player who makes less than mle. Shooting 60%

Because Klay and Wiggins offense was down he played Loon less.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/looneke01.html
azwfan
RealGM

Post#75 » by azwfan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:38 am

Josh Giddey is an interesting buy low candidate. No idea what it would take to get him though.

He’s a good connector type that fits in with the win now delusion, while actually being young for the possibility for the next generation.

Bol Bol a free agent buy low candidate, though if PHX wants him back id guess he’d rather go there.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#76 » by azwfan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:41 am

Warriorfan wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

Per 36 min Looney is 10.8pts 12.6 rb for a player who makes less than mle. Shooting 60%

Because Klay and Wiggins offense was down he played Loon less.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/looneke01.html

Great. Maybe we can have 10th best lottery odds instead of 9th best.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#77 » by azwfan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:47 am

xdrta+ wrote:
SpreeS wrote:What size of contract we could use in free market if all 4 (Looney/GP2/Paul/Klay) are gone?

If those 4 were gone with no salary coming back, the team salary would be about $130M for 8 players. This includes Looney's $3M. They could stretch Looney's $3M guarantee to $1M per year and lower the 130 to about $128M. Add about $4.5M for the incomplete roster charge (the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12) and you're up to about $132-33M. The projected cap is $141M, so there would be about $8-9M in cap room.

In this scenario they would have access to the $12.8M MLE, remembering that spending anything above $5.3M of it would hard-cap them at the 1st Apron, $178M.

So sounds like theres a possibility of using the full MLE even if they resign Klay (to a reasonable number).(?)
Onus
RealGM

Post#78 » by Onus » Sat May 18, 2024 3:50 am

azwfan wrote:Josh Giddey is an interesting buy low candidate. No idea what it would take to get him though.

He’s a good connector type that fits in with the win now delusion, while actually being young for the possibility for the next generation.

Bol Bol a free agent buy low candidate, though if PHX wants him back id guess he’d rather go there.

Does anyone really want an on ball player that doesn’t score.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#79 » by azwfan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:53 am

Onus wrote:
azwfan wrote:Josh Giddey is an interesting buy low candidate. No idea what it would take to get him though.

Yup, fits in great with us.
Positional size. Good passer. Kerr will love him.
Onus
RealGM

Post#80 » by Onus » Sat May 18, 2024 3:54 am

azwfan wrote:
Onus wrote:

Yup, fits in great with us.
Positional size. Good passer. Kerr will love him.

We need shooting

Return to Golden State Warriors