ImageImageImageImageImage

is Klay done?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,381

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#101 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:22 am

Klay had a lot of open looks vs. Phoenix. Some in transition. But when they're not going down, they're bad shots.

Normally for an NBA player, those kinds of looks are high percentage.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,127

Post#102 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:25 am

floppymoose wrote:
Samurai wrote:It is certainly possible that as Klay continues his recovery from injuries, that his leg strength may return and give him a proper base.

It's possible. For KD, it seems he got pretty much all the way back. The surgeries are very good these days (I got the modern surgery for torn achilles). But some people never get the strength all the way back. I did not. And given where we are in Klay's recovery, I think he would be back by now physically if it were going to happen.

Exactly. And of course, the age thing. There is going to be some overlap with positive gains (recovery from Achilles) and negative movement (age). It should be noted that around 31-32 is when premiere shooters often times start to see cracks in the hull, because their strength level is changing. Its harder to calibrate, especially for great shooters, who've basically been calibrated great for their entire careers prior. Some can power through it, some struggle with it. Klay might have struggled with it even without his injuries.. but bottom line is that he's not where he used to be and until that changes, his game should reflect that. And so far he's not changed his game
wco81
RealGM

Post#103 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:30 am

Klay had a lot of open looks vs. Phoenix. Some in transition. But when they're not going down, they're bad shots.

marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#104 » by marthafokker » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:48 am

When will Kerr stop this madness? Klay is hurting the Dubbs with his bad D and dumb chucking.

At least Westbrick figures that he sucks. When will both Kerr and Klay figure out? I hope when Dubbs wins the draft lottery!
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#105 » by tarantism » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:43 pm

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#106 » by and1GS » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:09 pm

wco81 wrote:Klay had a lot of open looks vs. Phoenix. Some in transition. But when they're not going down, they're bad shots.

For me, the concerns are quick shots with tight contests (he had a couple in transition last game) and the leaners. If he cuts those out he can still take the dumb early shot clock 2 point turnarounds and be a much more efficient player.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 953

Post#107 » by dk1115 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:03 pm

I think he'll end up being 0BPM this year. His feet right now are all **** up when he shoots. I don't get how the team stats guy doesn't notice. His shooting stance has always been wide by the way, but it's even wider than usual.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#108 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:23 pm

tarantism wrote:

I dont think anyone is critiquing the open shots, even though he's only hitting them at a 34% clip from distance. It's that 1/3 of his 3pt shots are coming with tight defense and hes shooting almost 25% from distance, and that a lot of those shots are coming with a decent amount of time on the shot clock (more than 10s). Its that instead of using his gravity and understanding that he needs to temper his shooting down a bit, he keeps shooting as if nothing's changed, nothing's wrong, in a season where we're struggling to get and keep momentum. Klay needs to focus less on Klay's struggles and start wondering what a slumping Klay can do to help the team, that doesnt involve him shooting as much. If that means bench him, then bench him. If that means correcting it himself, then do that. But he's never done the latter and we've never done the former. Something's gotta give
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,404

Post#109 » by Onus » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:43 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
tarantism wrote:

I dont think anyone is critiquing the open shots, even though he's only hitting them at a 34% clip from distance. It's that 1/3 of his 3pt shots are coming with tight defense and hes shooting almost 25% from distance, and that a lot of those shots are coming with a decent amount of time on the shot clock (more than 10s). Its that instead of using his gravity and understanding that he needs to temper his shooting down a bit, he keeps shooting as if nothing's changed, nothing's wrong, in a season where we're struggling to get and keep momentum. Klay needs to focus less on Klay's struggles and start wondering what a slumping Klay can do to help the team, that doesnt involve him shooting as much. If that means bench him, then bench him. If that means correcting it himself, then do that. But he's never done the latter and we've never done the former. Something's gotta give

Yup he can take as many standstill catch and shoots as he can get. It’s the deep, early shots and the ones where he’s fading or leaning and any time he has to put the ball on the floor. You can take those shots once you’ve found your rhythm.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 310

Post#110 » by GswStorm3 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 am

clyde21 wrote:he's only done if he refuses to believe that he's not that same player anymore and doesn't adjust to a new role accordingly, can still be very useful off the bench in the right capacity but if that's not a role he's willing to accept at this point, then yes he's done

That's fair.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#111 » by Dubs 707 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:28 am

Klay has always had rough stretches do we not remember the Klay to his hand I missed you game? Give him time based off that alone and then you factor in what he and Curry have accomplished by literally turning around the franchise!
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#112 » by bicycle » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:50 pm

Dubs 707 wrote:Klay has always had rough stretches do we not remember the Klay to his hand I missed you game? Give him time based off that alone and then you factor in what he and Curry have accomplished by literally turning around the franchise!

I'm happy to give him time, but time hasn't been the problem it's been that he's been spending his time taking selfish forced shots without accountability. Last night was an improvement, hopefully it lasts.
zhuangcorp
Junior
And1: 65

Post#113 » by zhuangcorp » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:25 pm

Klay's actual productivity should be viewed apart from his shot selection. I can give him a bit of a pass if he takes good shots, but the shots are just not falling. At least he is playing the right way.

But Klay is not even trying to play smart. He's giving himself the most difficult shots to take and taking away better shots from his own teammates. He thinks the entire season is about him gaining back his own prestige rather than about the team trying to win.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#114 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:02 am

zhuangcorp wrote:Klay's actual productivity should be viewed apart from his shot selection. I can give him a bit of a pass if he takes good shots, but the shots are just not falling. At least he is playing the right way.

But Klay is not even trying to play smart. He's giving himself the most difficult shots to take and taking away better shots from his own teammates. He thinks the entire season is about him gaining back his own prestige rather than about the team trying to win.

Klay plays smart in spurts, and its typically only when his shot is going down. Then he lets the game come to him and looks to get everyone involved. But in his mind, he eats first. If he's not eating, everything else is secondary to that

That's always been him, not a recent development. Just way more noticeable when we dont have an avalanche of talent to make up for the bad Klay days. Bottom line - he needs to adjust because we likely can't make up for it anymore
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#115 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:38 pm

Common Klay, scorch the rockets while your teamates sleepwalk this game.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#116 » by Dubs 707 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:10 am

Loooook at VINTAGE Klay Thompson!!!
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 794

Post#117 » by Old_Blue » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:20 am

This thread is aging really badly. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
wco81
RealGM

Post#118 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:23 am

Games like this one are why Kerr is going to keep playing Klay (have to, at his salary) and why his teammates will still keep feeding him.

In addition to his shooting, he had two steals and one big deflection inside two minutes.

But he’ll still have poor stretches of shooting and he’s not the defender he used to be so there will be more self-designated experts calling for him to be benched.

Then who gets his minutes? The youngsters?

They really have no other options who’s the threat thAt hE is.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,496

Post#119 » by Big J » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:25 am

This thread was always silly. He starts every season like this. This year he even admitted that he didn't do **** during the summer. He's finally getting his legs under him.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,350

Post#120 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:20 am

Give credit to Klay for playing the Hero role tonight.

Return to Golden State Warriors