killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#1021 » by killmongrel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:04 am

vvoland wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Klay was still the same player. He just made his shots. And when he makes shots like this, you can ignore his lack of defense, rebounding etc.. His shot making is worth it. The problem is when he isnt making shots at a high clip and getting 30+ minutes and closing games because it hurts the team more than any other player. But, this wasn't one of those games.

Agreed.

His passing this season has been highly underrated. 4 assists today and would have had more if tjd wasn't fouled on the roll. Their two man game is really surprising to see. That's before I mention Klay's gravity opening up rim runs like that alley-oop from cp3 to tjd off the ghost screen.

There seems to be plenty to complain about with klay and/or how he's used. No need to be hyperbolic with it.

I think a big issue is how rigid the substitution patterns are. Today, for instance, klay was on fire to start the first; doesn't matter, to the bench at the 6 min mark. Same thing in the third. Didn't matter tonight but it's happened plenty this season and he wasn't able to find his rhythm again. Kerr used to be great at riding the hot hand and scrapping the pre-determined rotations if the situation demands it. It's been the opposite this year. Same with Steph or jk or wigs. He's done it with everybody
My issue are the fans that still think Klay should be starting going forward. I don't care about this season since we're not a contender. Klay can definitely still be a contributing player if given the right and limited role sans a few occasions. But if some people here still think Klay can be a starter and playing significant minutes on a championship team, they've lost their marbles.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#1022 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:14 am

Right now the Warriors are not a championship team. So there isn’t anyone on the team who’s a stater on a championship team.

What a stupid criterium.

Moody played 24 minutes, Klay played 29 minutes.

Moody shot okay. Yeah Rockets are not even a play in team. Problem is, over an 82 game season, team needs production even against non playoffs team.

I hope one day that Moody proves that he’s a starter or at least a key rotation player on a championship contender. Even if that’s not on the Warriors.

But he has yet to prove that.

Meanwhile, a player WHO HAS been a starter on several championship teams is still capable of all-star level shooting.

But tough **** about your injuries, what Have You done for us lately? Get the **** lost so Moses can start, OK?
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#1023 » by killmongrel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:19 am

wco81 wrote:Right now the Warriors are not a championship team. So there isn’t anyone on the team who’s a stater on a championship team.

What a stupid criterium.

Moody played 24 minutes, Klay played 29 minutes.

Moody shot okay. Yeah Rockets are not even a play in team. Problem is, over an 82 game season, team needs production even against non playoffs team.

I hope one day that Moody proves that he’s a starter or at least a key rotation player on a championship contender. Even if that’s not on the Warriors.

But he has yet to prove that.

Meanwhile, a player WHO HAS been a starter on several championship teams is still capable of all-star level shooting.

But tough **** about your injuries, what Have You done for us lately? Get the **** lost so Moses can start, OK?
And this is the attitude that I hope Lacob and crew don't have this off season. If so, we're going to be a middling team again. Some of you see Klay going off against a .500 team without their best player, "hE's sHould sTill be sTarting neXt seAson!" when we've had all year to see what exactly the team's ceiling is if he's our best option as a starter at the 2 or playing significant minutes. The guy is bad at defense. And he's only going to get older.

Keep him on the team at the right role. But if some of you, and the organization, is still hanging their hopium on him still being a significant players on this team going forward, we're toast.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 120

Post#1024 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:19 am

killmongrel wrote:
vvoland wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Agreed.

His passing this season has been highly underrated. 4 assists today and would have had more if tjd wasn't fouled on the roll. Their two man game is really surprising to see. That's before I mention Klay's gravity opening up rim runs like that alley-oop from cp3 to tjd off the ghost screen.

There seems to be plenty to complain about with klay and/or how he's used. No need to be hyperbolic with it.

I think a big issue is how rigid the substitution patterns are. Today, for instance, klay was on fire to start the first; doesn't matter, to the bench at the 6 min mark. Same thing in the third. Didn't matter tonight but it's happened plenty this season and he wasn't able to find his rhythm again. Kerr used to be great at riding the hot hand and scrapping the pre-determined rotations if the situation demands it. It's been the opposite this year. Same with Steph or jk or wigs. He's done it with everybody
My issue are the fans that still think Klay should be starting going forward. I don't care about this season since we're not a contender. Klay can definitely still be a contributing player if given the right and limited role sans a few occasions. But if some people here still think Klay can be a starter and playing significant minutes on a championship team, they've lost their marbles.

They're 23-10 in their last 33 games (with Steph and JK missing time). 16-3 in the last 19 road games. With some awful losses early in the season, like a half dozen, that are just head scratching. They would be obvious contenders if they played like serious people the first 2.5 months. They've been a contender since dray came back but, unfortunately, the first 40 games count, as well.

I can't really call a 10 seed a contender but I think they're better than their record, better than last season and might have a path to the WCF IF they can get to the 7/8 seed and avoid the nugs in rd 1.

If we can get the 7 seed by winning just 1 play in game, get 3-5 days off before round 1, do you really think we can't beat OKC or minny in a series?
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#1025 » by killmongrel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:20 am

vvoland wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
vvoland wrote:

There 23-10 in their last 33 games (with Steph and JK missing time). 16-3 in the last 19 road games. With some awful losses early in the season, like a half dozen, that are just head scratching. They would be obvious contenders if they played like serious people the first 2.5 months. They've been a contender since dray came back but, unfortunately, the first 40 games count, as well.

I can't really call a 10 seed a contender but I think they're better than their record, better than last season and might have a path to the WCF IF they can get to the 7/8 seed and avoid the nugs in rd 1.

If we can get the 7 seed by winning just 1 play in game, get 3-5 days off before round 1, do you really think we can't beat OKC or minny in a series?

Cool. But we're in the easiest part of our schedule and we're the 10th seed.
vvoland
Senior

Post#1026 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:23 am

killmongrel wrote:
vvoland wrote:
killmongrel wrote: My issue are the fans that still think Klay should be starting going forward. I don't care about this season since we're not a contender. Klay can definitely still be a contributing player if given the right and limited role sans a few occasions. But if some people here still think Klay can be a starter and playing significant minutes on a championship team, they've lost their marbles.

There 23-10 in their last 33 games (with Steph and JK missing time). 16-3 in the last 19 road games. With some awful losses early in the season, like a half dozen, that are just head scratching. They would be obvious contenders if they played like serious people the first 2.5 months. They've been a contender since dray came back but, unfortunately, the first 40 games count, as well.

The last 33 games are the easiest part of our schedule?
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#1027 » by killmongrel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:25 am

vvoland wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Didn't the Warriors have one of the easier strength of schedules the last several weeks?
vvoland
Senior

Post#1028 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:30 am

killmongrel wrote:
vvoland wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Didn't the Warriors have one of the easier strength of schedules the last several weeks?

Last several weeks? Probably. That's usually by opponent winning %. We've had a ton of road games and road b2b so it's not quite as easy as that % might indicate. But I'm saying since they were 19-24, they've give 23-10. That's not a schedule fluke.

Let's take a more subjective approach. Did we play anyone this year where you said, "well, we're just way less talented than this team and have no shot." For me, it's only the nugs and only if they're fully healthy. Even then, if curry and dray are near the top of their game, I'll take our chances.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#1029 » by killmongrel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:37 am

vvoland wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Last several weeks? Probably. That's usually by opponent winning %. We've had a ton of road games and road b2b so it's not quite as easy as that % might indicate. But I'm saying since they were 19-24, they've give 23-10. That's not a schedule fluke.

Let's take a more subjective approach. Did we play anyone this year where you said, "well, we're just way less talented than this team and have no shot." For me, it's only the nugs and only if they're fully healthy. Even then, if curry and dray are near the top of their game, I'll take our chances.

Overall, Klay's play this whole season has not been good and does not contribute to winning basketball if we're interested in being contenders going forward. If he's still our best option as a starter and closer who plays significant minutes next season, that means we had a bad off season. Klay can still be a beneficial player. But that's as a bench player and in limited minutes. Anything more than that, we're seeing more of this season next year if Kuminga hasn't turned into an all star, etc, to make up for the negatives of players like him. That's just the reality of it. Our core is old. And the youngsters might not be ready to carry the weight.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#1030 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:40 am

Even when he has a good boxscore game like tonight I still feel like he has a negative impact
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#1031 » by killmongrel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:50 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Even when he has a good boxscore game like tonight I still feel like he has a negative impact

Because he sucks at defense. But he deserves his props tonight. But yeah, when he isn't hitting his shots, it's brutal.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,118

Post#1032 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:56 am

killmongrel wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:Even when he has a good boxscore game like tonight I still feel like he has a negative impact

Because he sucks at defense. But he deserves his props tonight. But yeah, when he isn't hitting his shots, it's brutal.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into it, but I think there's a fatal personality flaw going on here with the guy. As noted by many, when the shots go down for Klay, the rest of his game amps up. Basically, when he individually does well, he starts doing team stuff. When he doesn't, he doesn't. And it got me to thinking.. thats how I was growing up as a kid. Its how my kids are. But as an adult, for your kids, or for your partner, you still have to be a team player even when **** is going bad. Still do the little things for them, gas them up.. because its not just about you, its about the entire family

And Klay's a single guy with no kids.. just saying, I dont think he grasps that concept yet about keeping up the high effort even if its not all about him. If he did, I dont think anyone would have a problem with him
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#1033 » by killmongrel » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:58 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Maybe I'm looking too deep into it, but I think there's a fatal personality flaw going on here with the guy. As noted by many, when the shots go down for Klay, the rest of his game amps up. Basically, when he individually does well, he starts doing team stuff. When he doesn't, he doesn't. And it got me to thinking.. thats how I was growing up as a kid. Its how my kids are. But as an adult, for your kids, or for your partner, you still have to be a team player even when **** is going bad. Still do the little things for them, gas them up.. because its not just about you, its about the entire family

And Klay's a single guy with no kids.. just saying, I dont think he grasps that concept yet about keeping up the high effort even if its not all about him. If he did, I dont think anyone would have a problem with him

Agreed, and let me ask you this, how many paper airplanes have you seen Klay make when he has a bad game? :lol:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#1034 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:20 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Now armchair psychology to feed the narrative.

Must keep up the narrative at all cost.

Don’t care about credibility, like conceding that he had a good game, too bad he can’t play like this often enough any more.

No, it’s his defense is still negative and him starting over MoodY is a FAILURE because us basketball savants know far more than Kerr, Curry or Draymond — ask them who they’d prefer to play with, whom they trust more,

See we can’t show off our basketball knowledge Unless we’re proved right! We’d have 5 more wins by now if Klay hadn’t played! Klay is THE reason we’re in tenth place, not DraYmond’s suspensions, not Wiggins laying a foundation for a fort in the first 40 games or so!
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 460

Post#1035 » by superunknown » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:04 am

:sleep:
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#1036 » by michaelm » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:14 am

wco81 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Now armchair psychology to feed the narrative.

Must keep up the narrative at all cost.

Don’t care about credibility, like conceding that he had a good game, too bad he can’t play like this often enough any more.

No, it’s his defense is still negative and him starting over MoodY is a FAILURE because us basketball savants know far more than Kerr, Curry or Draymond — ask them who they’d prefer to play with, whom they trust more,

See we can’t show off our basketball knowledge Unless we’re proved right! We’d have 5 more wins by now if Klay hadn’t played! Klay is THE reason we’re in tenth place, not DraYmond’s suspensions, not Wiggins laying a foundation for a fort in the first 40 games or so!

Agree about the cod psychology. And Klay is one of the greatest GSW players ever and was in best ever form and looking like he might be capable of dragging GSW to the 2019 title before he went down with the ACL injury.

But he did have the ACL injury, then a torn Achilles’ tendon. He isn’t the guy he was in 2019 any longer. Can he now undertake his previous role in a Small Ball Death Squad of taking the best opposition guard, reducing the defensive load on Curry with those squads being highly elite defensively despite Curry’s size and relative lack of speed ?. Imo it is now very difficult for a 5 man unit which includes both Curry and Klay to be elite defensively. And he hardly rebounds either.

Sure on nights like this last one when his shot is dropping play him high minutes and feed him. It is both him playing, and Kerr playing him, as if he was 2019 pre-injury Klay that is attracting criticism.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,118

Post#1037 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:15 am

The narrative of why Klay's rebounding, passing and defense spike when he's on a heater?

lol arguments are getting way too emotional
billinder33
Junior
And1: 86

Post#1038 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:56 am

cpower wrote:
wco81 wrote:
cpower wrote:i dont know how you saw that but Klay is -48 , Wiggins is worse but consider he was -150 half of the season he has been playing good basketball since

This is what I see:

44 38 15 25 68
Jerome Robinson Jerome Robinson 2023-24
GSWGSW
20 +31 3.7 1.3 0.3 0.3 0.0 0.2 0.1 0.5 1.6 29.0 0.1 0.9 11.8 0.3 0.5 60.0 73 26 6 5 0 3 2 5

From your OWN link.

It's also on the bar chart.

Maybe it reflect's tonight's game and you've been looking at a stale link.

Oh but look, Robinson, Santos and Quinones all have positive +/- than Klay too.

Let's play them over Klay and Wiggins!

What a useless stat.

yeah i am looking at a stale link, refreshing it updated it...but thats NOT how you look at it. Klay has been playing a lot of Curry and Green but his on off has been bad, reflecting what is happening when he is on

Kkay was +20 against the Rockets. One poster's stat was before the April 4th postgame data load, one was after.

Whether you view -48 or -28 as good or bad thing, I don't think 20 pts across a whole season should change someone's overall perspective. Quibbles over nibbles.
vvoland
Senior

Post#1039 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:02 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:The narrative of why Klay's rebounding, passing and defense spike when he's on a heater?

lol arguments are getting way too emotional

I'm genuinely curious, is Klay unique in this? Typically, the philosophy has been - get your big man a few early buckets so he's engaged on defense/boards for the rest of the game. Coaches and PGs lived this philosophy for decades. It's been the issue I had with wiggins early in the season; I can accept a shooting slump but I saw a low energy player that didn't rebound, attack the rim or defend with force (I know you disagree with the wigs take, just using him as an example).

I think when players are frustrated, they play worse. Dray, for instance, might get tossed or lash out. Steph will, at times, not run back, take bad shots and toss the ball away like it's radioactive. On the other hand, when they're playin well, the ball is moving with precision, the defense is on a string, etc.

To be clear, I think Klay is more like this than Wigs or Steph, maybe not so much Dray as his reactions can be massively negative. I just think isolating Klay like this is unique seems off, considering everything I've seen/heard about the sport.

I think there are players that due to their body language have a spotlight on their flaws. Not sure if you're a soccer fan but Mesut Ozil was the poster child for this. His facial expressions and body language just screamed "i'm too cool for this ****" and he was maligned every time Germany or Arsenal were performing poorly, regardless of his play. Kai Haavertz is another one, coincidentally, also a german playing club football for arsenal. Again, not saying Klay is blameless. How much grace do you think he would be given if his body language was as positive as kent bazemore's was?
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,703

Post#1040 » by WarriorGM » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:41 pm

wco81 wrote:No, it’s his defense is still negative and him starting over MoodY is a FAILURE because us basketball savants know far more than Kerr, Curry or Draymond — ask them who they’d prefer to play with, whom they trust more,

When did GPII join the team? 2021. Look up his stats on Basketball Reference for that year and you'll see that he had the team's highest PER, WS/48, and BPM. But when it was crunch time and the play-in games rolled around he did not play. The next year during training camp Steph and Draymond were heard loudly advocating for Avery Bradley to join the team. GPII was wondering at the time that maybe his best option would be joining the team as an assistant. Fortunately someone reviewed his case and thought the numbers too promising to pass him up and GPII ended up taking the last spot on the roster. The rest is history.

Sometimes the numbers paint a very compelling picture. The team ignores such information at its peril.

Return to Golden State Warriors