ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors in clutch time

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Re: Warriors in clutch time 

Post#21 » by Impuniti » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:56 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Could the Warriors be getting tired in 4th quarters?
Could the Warriors be getting bored when they have a 20 point lead?

Steph Dray Wiggins Kuminga and anybody.
5th man, Maybe Klay, Maybe Podz, Maybe Trayce, maybe whoever would play hardest, Maybe Moody.

Looks at the 4/5 guys that have the highest MPG throughout the season.

The answer is yes.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#22 » by Impuniti » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:58 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:According to a recent podcast, the Warriors have given up an offensive rebound in the final minutes of games over the last 15 85% of the time!

So it's not complicated AT ALL. Kerr needs to substitute in Looney or JD in the final defensive possessions. Because right now, they look like a bunch of highschool players trying to reach the rebound among adults.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/rebounding?LastNGames=0&Outcome=L&TeamID=1610612744&dir=D&sort=REB_CONTEST_PCT

What stands out? Its easy to see who is hurting the team.

LOL

What stands out is that the genius coach at GSW was putting out Klay-CP-Steph lineups to close out every single game. :lol: Needs to be repeated and I will continue to do so. The OT loss vs the Hawks, Kerr put out four guards with Draymond and the team got out rebounded 8 to 1 during that time frame. Criminal basketball actions.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#23 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:06 am

Impuniti wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:According to a recent podcast, the Warriors have given up an offensive rebound in the final minutes of games over the last 15 85% of the time!

So it's not complicated AT ALL. Kerr needs to substitute in Looney or JD in the final defensive possessions. Because right now, they look like a bunch of highschool players trying to reach the rebound among adults.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/rebounding?LastNGames=0&Outcome=L&TeamID=1610612744&dir=D&sort=REB_CONTEST_PCT

LOL

What stands out is that the genius coach at GSW was putting out Klay-CP-Steph lineups to close out every single game. :lol: Needs to be repeated and I will continue to do so. The OT loss vs the Hawks, Kerr put out four guards with Draymond and the team got out rebounded 8 to 1 during that time frame. Criminal basketball actions.

Playing 4 guards means Kerr wants speed. Maybe Kerr should consider Trayce as the 5th closer because Trayce gives you some speed and shot blocking while also being a good rebounder.

I would still play Klay if Klay was hot but if Klay is not hot I think I want Trayce, Draymond, Wiggins, Kuminga and Curry as my closing group.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#24 » by Impuniti » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:17 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

LOL

Playing 4 guards means Kerr wants speed. Maybe Kerr should consider Trayce as the 5th closer because Trayce gives you some speed and shot blocking while also being a good rebounder.

I would still play Klay if Klay was hot but if Klay is not hot I think I want Trayce, Draymond, Wiggins, Kuminga and Curry as my closing group.

Does he want speed? Because if he plays the corpse lineup (CP, Klay, Steph, Draymond), you quite literally get the saddest excuse of athleticism that any team can put out on the court this year.

As you said, with some speed, you can put TJD in there. And CP both in movement and the way he plays is one of the slowest players in the league. So why continue doing this?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#25 » by michaelm » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:38 am

Impuniti wrote:
Impuniti wrote:LOL

Does he want speed? Because if he plays the corpse lineup (CP, Klay, Steph, Draymond), you quite literally get the saddest excuse of athleticism that any team can put out on the court this year.

As you said, with some speed, you can put TJD in there. And CP both in movement and the way he plays is one of the slowest players in the league. So why continue doing this?

Yes playing several guards doesn’t give you speed if they are old slow guards who are also tired. Whatever his manifold faults Poole wasn’t slow, and GPII isn’t either.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#26 » by michaelm » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:39 am

Double
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,397

Post#27 » by Onus » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:00 pm

From the Athletic
Another Plan B just might be defensive. Golden State is one of the worst in the NBA in fourth-quarter defense. An argument could be made they scored enough in the fourth quarter at 29.2 points on 47.6 percent shooting. It’s their third-best quarter offensively (the first is the worst). But they don’t score enough to overcome their suspect defense.

The Warriors allow an average of 30.4 points on 49.6 percent shooting in the fourth quarter. Both are 29th in the NBA, ahead of only Atlanta. They allow an average of 7.8 free-throw attempts in the fourth (27th).

Their fourth-quarter defensive rating — 122.9 points per 100 possessions — is the worst in the league.

Since Green returned from suspension, the Warriors have been the third-worst defense. Progress has been made. They’ve gotten much better at defending the paint.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#28 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:50 am

Onus wrote:From the Athletic
Another Plan B just might be defensive. Golden State is one of the worst in the NBA in fourth-quarter defense. An argument could be made they scored enough in the fourth quarter at 29.2 points on 47.6 percent shooting. It’s their third-best quarter offensively (the first is the worst). But they don’t score enough to overcome their suspect defense.

The Warriors allow an average of 30.4 points on 49.6 percent shooting in the fourth quarter. Both are 29th in the NBA, ahead of only Atlanta. They allow an average of 7.8 free-throw attempts in the fourth (27th).

Their fourth-quarter defensive rating — 122.9 points per 100 possessions — is the worst in the league.

Since Green returned from suspension, the Warriors have been the third-worst defense. Progress has been made. They’ve gotten much better at defending the paint.

I mean this was obvious except to most warriors fans and kerr.

I've broken it down many times that every team is doing the same to us in the 4th quarter.

People only want to focus stephs offense, jks offense, klays offense, cp3s offense, etc.. yet almost always ignore that defense is the BIG reason why we struggle so much in close games.

A good or bad game is based on the points scored listed in the boxscore. :banghead:
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#29 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 am

Read on Twitter

We are so closing with steph, klay, and cp3.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,397

Post#30 » by Onus » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:59 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can’t believe Steve wants to continue coaching
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#31 » by Impuniti » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:31 am

Kerr is an atrocious level coach this season. It's disgusting how this guy went from one of the top coaches in the league to this complete buffoon.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#32 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:01 am

Even as a decoy Kuminga has value.
No big scoring game for Kuminga vs Bobcats but Kuminga got rebounds and assists.

Kuminga getting rebounds is a big deal because kuminga so far in his career has ubderachieved as a rebounder. Rebounding is not normally a part of the game that young players have problems with.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,118

Post#33 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:14 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

No problem with the answer, but will he really adhere to it? "Trust me, I'll make the right call" is a tough thing to really buy into from a fan perspective, if they've been paying attention. It often time takes a younger player going nuclear and one of the vets playing terribly to force a change. 22 min for Klay last game at least gives some hope, but at this point its grasping at straws kinda hope until we see an actual meritocracy going forward

Tough games are on the horizon, and that will give a much better idea of whether or not Kerr has actually adapted
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#34 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:26 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Even as a decoy Kuminga has value.
No big scoring game for Kuminga vs Bobcats but Kuminga got rebounds and assists.

Kuminga getting rebounds is a big deal because kuminga so far in his career has ubderachieved as a rebounder. Rebounding is not normally a part of the game that young players have problems with.

The most exciting thing about Kuminga's development is how far his floor game has come.

The #1 criticism of him was(and still is) that he was always going to be a Corey Maggette/black-hole/empty stats player that wouldn't affect the game in any way other than scoring. That's clearly not his development trajectory. For those paying careful attention, his defense has come a long way lately. Against the Hornets he was excellent and was a significant factor in holding them to such a low score.

Meanwhile, some are still demanding TJD start over him which is nonsensical. Kuminga is ranging far ahead of TJD as we speak. There's really no comparison.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,118

Post#35 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:17 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:

The most exciting thing about Kuminga's development is how far his floor game has come.

The #1 criticism of him was(and still is) that he was always going to be a Corey Maggette/black-hole/empty stats player that wouldn't affect the game in any way other than scoring. That's clearly not his development trajectory. For those paying careful attention, his defense has come a long way lately. Against the Hornets he was excellent and was a significant factor in holding them to such a low score.

Meanwhile, some are still demanding TJD start over him which is nonsensical. Kuminga is ranging far ahead of TJD as we speak. There's really no comparison.

His defense has absolutely not come a long way at any point... the lone positive about him lately is that he's not forcing anything despite struggling a lot with teams just handing him anything beyond 20'. That is progress in his floor game, as well as some potential in passing, though his bad pass/TO #s have shot up recently. The rest is about the same, average man defense, below average off-ball defense. For those who want to keep him, the upside is that he addresses a big need since Wiggins is extremely unreliable in terms of finishing

The 5th player, who to be clear is Kuminga and not Podz in the starting lineup, should be interchangeable. Sometimes TJD. Sometimes Kuminga. Sometimes Klay. Maybe even CP3 or GP2. And while I'd probably stack him at the top of those 4, that's basically what he is. A fringe starter, 6th man who will need to be a really good defender or much better perimeter shooter to be a real cornerstone. And he has not been trending up in either
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#36 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:56 am

One thing you notice with jk is that he's got really poor lateral footwork.

I haven't gone back at the tape, but I think early on, players didn't worry so much about him abd went straight at him which required to him to make a simple hip twist to keep up.

Now players are simply using an in and out dribble and he gets caught flat footed immediately and gets handsy or gets blown by. He's also a bad screen navigator for the same reason. His hips don't fly open to slide to match the required footwork. He's a north south guy in movement. I think that's why we are seeing kerr pivot away from jk as poa this year.

Compare his footwork with guys like wiggins or gp2. They have great footwork on defense and body control.

Jk would be a great te/wr in the NFL, but a poor defensive back. That's the footwork difference I see.

I do like that he seemds to be fighting more on the defensive glass which is necessary since I think he's a pf on defense.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#37 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:02 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:

I don’t see a conflict betwee TDJ and Kuminga. They are our dunkers but it is OK to play 2 dunkers at the same time. If you take the dunk away from Kuminga on his drive he will finish the drive with short jump shots or flip shots.

Kuminga, Curry, Draymond and Wiggins now seem obvious as the closing 4. I am not so set on the 5th guy. The 5th guy could be Trayce or Looney with me calling Kuminga a guard. Or the 5th could be Klay or Podz or Payton or Moody or Chris Paul..

Klay has surprising chemistry with Trayce. Somebody has to be the chucker for Chris Paul bench unit and I think Klay fits the bill although I don’t like separing Klay from Draymond and Curry. Klay, Trayce and Chris Paul could be good together with Trayce in the Blake Griffin role.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#38 » by Impuniti » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:25 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:

I don’t see a conflict betwee TDJ and Kuminga. They are our dunkers but it is OK to play 2 dunkers at the same time. If you take the dunk away from Kuminga on his drive he will finish the drive with short jump shots or flip shots.

Kuminga, Curry, Draymond and Wiggins now seem obvious as the closing 4. I am not so set on the 5th guy. The 5th guy could be Trayce or Looney with me calling Kuminga a guard. Or the 5th could be Klay or Podz or Payton or Moody or Chris Paul..

Klay has surprising chemistry with Trayce. Somebody has to be the chucker for Chris Paul bench unit and I think Klay fits the bill although I don’t like separing Klay from Draymond and Curry. Klay, Trayce and Chris Paul could be good together with Trayce in the Blake Griffin role.

With the way Looney plays, I'm not confident in him playing at all, let alone closing. He needs to lose weight and get back to his old level. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play with the Warriors at all next season if he keeps this up.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#39 » by jozef » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:12 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Kuminga, Curry, Draymond and Wiggins now seem obvious as the closing 4. I am not so set on the 5th guy. The 5th guy could be Trayce or Looney with me calling Kuminga a guard. Or the 5th could be Klay or Podz or Payton or Moody or Chris Paul..

Kuminga cannot shoot at level needed for SF position. So it's him at PF or TJD at C who needs to be paired with Dray. I prefer TJD.
The chemistry is not surprising. TJD is the only true big with a vertical scoring so Klay feels comfortable. Maybe till May Steve Kerr accidentally falls into a opportunity to play Steph-Klay-Wigs-Dray-TJD line-up and discover a path to the championship.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#40 » by Sandy333 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:31 pm

jozef wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Kuminga, Curry, Draymond and Wiggins now seem obvious as the closing 4. I am not so set on the 5th guy. The 5th guy could be Trayce or Looney with me calling Kuminga a guard. Or the 5th could be Klay or Podz or Payton or Moody or Chris Paul..

Kuminga cannot shoot at level needed for SF position. So it's him at PF or TJD at C who needs to be paired with Dray. I prefer TJD.
The chemistry is not surprising. TJD is the only true big with a vertical scoring so Klay feels comfortable. Maybe till May Steve Kerr accidentally falls into a opportunity to play Steph-Klay-Wigs-Dray-TJD line-up and discover a path to the championship.

Now that Kerr is extended due to small sample Size of good play, his poor development and clutch minutes play is glossed over. Fact is there is no reliable offense generator apart from steph. Kuminga is too easily shutdown. Nobody apart from steph is a good shooter even when wide open. Klay is the best of the rest, he has regressed so much in defence , he is unplayable in clutch.

Return to Golden State Warriors