ImageImageImageImageImage

Eurobasket 09 thread:

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

oscars
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Eurobasket thread: (Latvia on LIVE!! right now PG 22 link) 

Post#321 » by oscars » Mon Sep 7, 2009 3:30 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Why is Dre even at this stupid tournament?

well... we wanted it like this... :D

if he would not be here, then he stocks would be at all time low in latvia, and many would call him traitor...

i personaly think - if the player dosnt want to play for his national team, he dosnt have to...
Sleepy51: If I'm Dre, I pick up two quick fouls and a tech as soon as Nellie puts me back in with these wings who won't stay in front of anyone and no interior help
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#322 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Sep 7, 2009 3:34 pm

I don't mean to be a hater Oscars. It's just that Dre does not see to be getting much out of this. The guards are getting all the touches and not moving the ball nearly as much as in the first years we watched Dre overseas. Dre really seemed to make a lot of progress playing summers in Europe a few years ago, but now it seems very remedial for a player of his caliber. Especially with the wings playing hog-ball.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#323 » by turk3d » Mon Sep 7, 2009 3:35 pm

I say but if he is going to play for them, then he should make it worthwhile and not just go through the motions, otherwise I agree with others who say "why bother"? He'd be better off training in the states. What's the point of him being there if the Latvian team isn't going to have much of a chance to win anything? I thought that they'd be a serious contender this season. They need to let Andris take over if they really want to compete. It's actually making Andris look bad. If he can't get 35 mpg playing for Latvia, how can we expect him to get that playing for the Warriors? :confused:
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
oscars
Sophomore

Post#324 » by oscars » Mon Sep 7, 2009 3:37 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I don't mean to be a hater Oscars. It's just that Dre does not see to be getting much out of this. The guards are getting all the touches and not moving the ball nearly as much as in the first years we watched Dre overseas. Dre really seemed to make a lot of progress playing summers in Europe a few years ago, but now it seems very remedial for a player of his caliber. Especially with the wings playing hog-ball.

well it really seems that Smart is couching the team, cos the latvians play just like Warriors in terms of style :D just in much lover level... it pisses me of that we dont use our strongest weapon... Biedrins can do so much more if we just let him...

p.s. no problema at all regarding your opinion..as i sad.. i myself think that players dont have to play for national team if they dont want to..and if GSW would nat alowe him to do that, i personaly would not be mad at all...
Sleepy51: If I'm Dre, I pick up two quick fouls and a tech as soon as Nellie puts me back in with these wings who won't stay in front of anyone and no interior help
oscars
Sophomore

Post#325 » by oscars » Mon Sep 7, 2009 3:51 pm

Kambala looks better than Biedrins right now...
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#326 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Sep 7, 2009 4:16 pm

Biedrins looks Brandanish. What happened to last summer's muscle mass?
ARisYourDaddy
Junior
And1: 1

Re: Eurobasket 09 thread: 

Post#327 » by ARisYourDaddy » Mon Sep 7, 2009 6:49 pm

His FT style has all types of problems!
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#328 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Sep 7, 2009 7:05 pm

Turiaf has been godly for France today when Parker, Diaw, Batum and others did nothing for the first 3 quarters.
Parker finally showed up in the final 3 minutes of the game, but Turiaf is the main reason why Germany (without Dirk and Kaman) didn't upset them.
Eva with the Spurs jersey in the stands.
70-65 in a fantastic game.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#329 » by b-ball forever » Mon Sep 7, 2009 7:39 pm

Yeah, Turiaf with another beastly game both on offense end defense, he's (kinda unexpectedly) been the best player on the French team over the past 3 games. Gobbing 14 rebs despite going up against a giant oversized German frontcourt is scary good.

On offense he's been particularly deadly in pick n roll situations with Parker/Diot, but also had some points off of post ups in isolation down low, and some midrange J's (often after the pick n pop).

Batum was pretty good over the first 3 quarters tho...

From what I saw in the Latvia game the Russians focused on Biedrins a lot defensively... which could be part of the reason he struggled while Kambala went off.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#330 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Sep 7, 2009 7:51 pm

Most people dont realize how good Turiaf is now..I remember watching the warriors games on league pass last year and the announcers consistantly put down his offensive abilities. They thought he had no jumper what-so-ever. He didnt with the lakers. Now he does. It changes everything.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#331 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Sep 7, 2009 7:53 pm

How did Beli do today for Italy?

Oh that's right, the dago's didnt qualify for Eurobasket despite having two NBA players ...Lol.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#332 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Sep 7, 2009 9:45 pm

Turiaf finished with 15-14 and 3 blocks.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#333 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Sep 7, 2009 9:46 pm

That's because Turiaf actually cares about this scrubfest tournament.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#334 » by Coxy » Mon Sep 7, 2009 11:50 pm

Sid the Squid wrote:Turiaf finished with 15-14 and 3 blocks.

The 15 pnts and 3 blocks is nice but the 14 rebounds is what I like to see. :D We know he can chase shots but to chase shots AND grab the rebound if you miss the spike is very rare. Ben Wallace made a career on it.
ARisYourDaddy
Junior

Post#335 » by ARisYourDaddy » Tue Sep 8, 2009 3:45 am

That is what I would like to see with Turiaf as the starting PF with AB and AR. With Turiaf in with AB he could provide the rebounding and shot blocking and AR could develop into a Durant type player...That is a tough frontline with some height and length forget that scrub Wright!

Turiaf could guard the Gasol's and Millsap's and Boozer's while AR could stay out of foul trouble
ivs
Ballboy

Post#336 » by ivs » Tue Sep 8, 2009 6:06 am

Sid the Squid wrote:Turiaf finished with 15-14 and 3 blocks.

Yap, nice...
Cant wait evening Latvia vs France, to see Kambala vs Turiaf.

About last night.
Bad game for AB. Dunno is it because of too much blondes or too much booze this summer. All this national team campaign is not going well for him. Kambala proved that he is better in crucial moments then AB, cause FT's and he can turn game in any manner - showing some boxing skills, same time playinmg calm and smart etc.etc.
Well hes doin' same things like Turiaf, and the main is - if you're player, you want to play in his team
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#337 » by Sid the Squid » Tue Sep 8, 2009 7:14 am

You can tell he hasn't hit the weights in months and his FT shooting has nose dived.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,282

Post#338 » by BadWolf » Tue Sep 8, 2009 10:48 am

Sleepy51 wrote:That's because Turiaf actually cares about this scrubfest tournament.

Funny that your best player doesn't dominate these scrubs.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#339 » by St.Nick » Tue Sep 8, 2009 11:54 am

Its not a scrubfest tournament. Its the best players of each national team against each other. Sorry, but outside the NBA these are the best teams in the world competing against each other.

You can't rationalize the whole thing in a way to protect your lazy Andris. Be as heavy handed with him as you would with any other player who has disappointed with uninspired, unimproved play, or fear looking biased and unfair.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#340 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Sep 8, 2009 12:40 pm

St.Nick wrote:Its not a scrubfest tournament. Its the best players of each national team against each other. Sorry, but outside the NBA these are the best teams in the world competing against each other.

You can't rationalize the whole thing in a way to protect your lazy Andris. Be as heavy handed with him as you would with any other player who has disappointed with uninspired, unimproved play, or fear looking biased and unfair.

Unapologeticaly (and certainly unfearfully lol) guilty as charged (sort of). For the record, I've never actually judged ANYBODY by their Euroleague production, good or bad. I don't think it matters at all. So starting now wtih Dre would make very little sense. I haven't really judged guys by their US summer league production either (other than style of play for PG's.) SL is scruball too.

I am biased towards Andris because he's been an excellent player, teammate and difference maker for the Warriors in all of our weakest areas. In his time in GS, he has played the game intelligently, unselfishly and with 110% effort. I'm not ready to condemn his stateside efforts because of a clearly unenthused and lackluster showing in Euroscrub. I consider everything that happens in Euroscrub to be largely irrelevant to NBA play (see Marco Belinelli, or Ricky Rubio or Fran Vasquez or Jazzy Cabbages.) You put 1 or 2 NBA guys in a game it does not create an NBA contest. The other 8 guys flailing around like WNBA rejects make it a lesser sport and largely invalidates the results as an NBA benchmark. None of the overseas play matters. At all. For anyone.

This "if you don't hate Andris like you hated Belly" campaign is a non-starter.

#1: I didn't "hate" Belly. I did not give him credit for non-NBA play. I was critical of fan hype surrounding SL & Euroscrub credentials. When he was doing nothing, I gave him a hard time because I don't believe in players doing nothing. That's not the same as hate. When he showed something of value on the NBA court, I gave him due credit for his progress.

#2: overall, Belly earned very little respect here, as witnessed by the team not picking up his option and the coach doing whatever he did to make Belly feel that he had been mistreated and demanding a trade. Belly didn't earn anything from Warrior fans, neither by the majority of his play, not his attitude. He got picked too high and paid to wear a suit and then whined his way out. A player is not "entitled" to be treated as though they matter. Belly never made himself matter. He showed flashes, but he never made himself a difference maker. That's 180degrees from Andris' history here.

I do not approve of Dre's summer regimen involving Euroscrub and have disapproved of the decision for the last 2 years. But no, I am not compelled to "hate" on him, because he has EARNED a great deal of respect for his efforts and contribution in a Warrior jersey. Not being biased towards Andris vs. scrubs or jerks who have washed out or made nuisances of themselves would make very little sense. This is not a credible argument. I like Andris more than most players (especially unproven gunners) because of how he plays. I will never need to apologize for that.

I am biased towards good players who are not criminals or complete jackoffs. That's as much satisfaction as you're likely to get from me on this issue. If Dre stinks (or shows up injured) in camp and pre-season, I'll start caring.

But this is a scrubfest tournament. Outside of the NBA, all basketball is scrubfest.

Return to Golden State Warriors