And1: 15,833

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#41 » by floppymoose » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:48 am

wissportsfan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#42 » by wissportsfan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:20 pm

The way that JK is progressing I hope they keep him and give him more minutes. I really think that's all he needs is playing time. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to trade for him though. We'll see if anything is worth it around the trade deadline.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#43 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:33 pm

wissportsfan wrote:The way that JK is progressing I hope they keep him and give him more minutes. I really think that's all he needs is playing time. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to trade for him though. We'll see if anything is worth it around the trade deadline.

I think it would be stupid to trade him. Really tired of hearing fans wanting to trade him. He can be a legitimate part of a future core. It wasn’t like Wiseman who showed no improvement, btw saw highlights of the Pistons game last night and he still looks like the same player. Lousy screens, calling for the ball, out of position on defense.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,388

Post#44 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:48 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
wissportsfan wrote:The way that JK is progressing I hope they keep him and give him more minutes. I really think that's all he needs is playing time. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to trade for him though. We'll see if anything is worth it around the trade deadline.

I think it would be stupid to trade him. Really tired of hearing fans wanting to trade him. He can be a legitimate part of a future core. It wasn’t like Wiseman who showed no improvement, btw saw highlights of the Pistons game last night and he still looks like the same player. Lousy screens, calling for the ball, out of position on defense.

What future core? There is no time line after Steph. Unless you think JK is going to be a top 10 player or really a top 5 player his timeline or future is meaningless. We're going to suck once Steph retires
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#45 » by sonnyhill » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:14 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

What future core? There is no time line after Steph. Unless you think JK is going to be a top 10 player or really a top 5 player his timeline or future is meaningless. We're going to suck once Steph retires

All three contributions to this thread are on point.

Perhaps the narrative about Kuminga should include how he, Kuminga, is a valuable contributor towards extending Curry's current window as well as a potential "legitimate part of a future core."

The team needs Kuminga's current skill-set, especially with his ability to both attack the rim on the offensive end of the floor as well as play "on-ball" defense. It does look like Kerr is playing Kuminga at power forward; yet, he and Wiggins both share similar attributes which bodes well for Kuminga's progression at small orward, too. As Wiggins gets his conditioning, timing, and overall game to improve (BTW, Wiggins sure looks like he spent time in the lab working on his free throw shooting), I wonder if Kerr will ever play Wiggins and Kuminga together with TJD at center, which would better mask the defensive deficiencies of both Curry and Thompson.

It sure seems like Kerr is being given too much of a free pass when it comes to discussing the disjointed progression of both Kuminga and Moody's games.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#46 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:19 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Whether JK becomes a top 5 player or not. A team will still need the other parts of the puzzle. It also makes a team attractive for superstars. The Clippers and Nets built a team first before the superstars said hey I like what you have going on here and chose to go there. They see a premade team that they can hop on with a chance to be alpha for a championship.
Onus
RealGM

Post#47 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:06 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:I think it would be stupid to trade him. Really tired of hearing fans wanting to trade him. He can be a legitimate part of a future core. It wasn’t like Wiseman who showed no improvement, btw saw highlights of the Pistons game last night and he still looks like the same player. Lousy screens, calling for the ball, out of position on defense.

Perhaps the narrative about Kuminga should include how he, Kuminga, is a valuable contributor towards extending Curry's current window as well as a potential "legitimate part of a future core."

The team needs Kuminga's current skill-set, especially with his ability to both attack the rim on the offensive end of the floor as well as play "on-ball" defense. It does look like Kerr is playing Kuminga at power forward; yet, he and Wiggins both share similar attributes which bodes well for Kuminga's progression at small orward, too. As Wiggins gets his conditioning, timing, and overall game to improve (BTW, Wiggins sure looks like he spent time in the lab working on his free throw shooting), I wonder if Kerr will ever play Wiggins and Kuminga together with TJD at center, which would better mask the defensive deficiencies of both Curry and Thompson.

It sure seems like Kerr is being given too much of a free pass when it comes to discussing the disjointed progression of both Kuminga and Moody's games.

Any discussion about "legitimate part of a future core" isn't really worth discussing unless that future core has someone with potential to be a top 5 player. You aren't winning anything without one.

Discussing what JK can contribute to this current team is what we should be doing. He has played much better as of late against some bad teams and good match ups (Boston). I'm not against keeping JK, but if he's needed to get a clear upgrade included with CP then I'd be willing to give him up. Probably only for OG, Grant and Lauri.
Onus
RealGM

Post#48 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:09 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:I think it would be stupid to trade him. Really tired of hearing fans wanting to trade him. He can be a legitimate part of a future core. It wasn’t like Wiseman who showed no improvement, btw saw highlights of the Pistons game last night and he still looks like the same player. Lousy screens, calling for the ball, out of position on defense.

Whether JK becomes a top 5 player or not. A team will still need the other parts of the puzzle. It also makes a team attractive for superstars. The Clippers and Nets built a team first before the superstars said hey I like what you have going on here and chose to go there. They see a premade team that they can hop on with a chance to be alpha for a championship.

I mean those aren't really great examples. They essentially traded anyone that was good for those stars and blew up any homegrown talent. They also went to LA and NY, glamour cities. And really it gives you a really short window as shown by their results.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,161

Post#49 » by TB » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:13 pm

Its been fun to see JoKu step up since he has taken the starting role. Hopefully he keeps this up all the way to the trade deadline. :wink:
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#50 » by Impuniti » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:15 pm

Onus wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
Onus wrote:What future core? There is no time line after Steph. Unless you think JK is going to be a top 10 player or really a top 5 player his timeline or future is meaningless. We're going to suck once Steph retires

Any discussion about "legitimate part of a future core" isn't really worth discussing unless that future core has someone with potential to be a top 5 player. You aren't winning anything without one.

Discussing what JK can contribute to this current team is what we should be doing. He has played much better as of late against some bad teams and good match ups (Boston). I'm not against keeping JK, but if he's needed to get a clear upgrade included with CP then I'd be willing to give him up. Probably only for OG, Grant and Lauri.

The trade should be for Klay and JK, not CP and JK. CP3 is the second best player on the team and isn't being treated like he's MJ in Kerr's eyes. Because that's how he treats Klay. It's MDJ's job to remove Klay ASAP from the roster.
Onus
RealGM

Post#51 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:25 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Onus wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

The trade should be for Klay and JK, not CP and JK. CP3 is the second best player on the team and isn't being treated like he's MJ in Kerr's eyes. Because that's how he treats Klay. It's MDJ's job to remove Klay ASAP from the roster.

I'd love to trade Klay but I just don't see it as realistic. Too much marketing about the core 3 for 1 of them to be traded.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#52 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:What future core? There is no time line after Steph. Unless you think JK is going to be a top 10 player or really a top 5 player his timeline or future is meaningless. We're going to suck once Steph retires

I mean those aren't really great examples. They essentially traded anyone that was good for those stars and blew up any homegrown talent. They also went to LA and NY, glamour cities. And really it gives you a really short window as shown by their results.

What is the alternative, hope to pick another once in a lifetime unicorn shooter? This is the most realistic path to being in a position to contend in the future.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#53 » by Impuniti » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:42 pm

Onus wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Onus wrote:Any discussion about "legitimate part of a future core" isn't really worth discussing unless that future core has someone with potential to be a top 5 player. You aren't winning anything without one.

I'd love to trade Klay but I just don't see it as realistic. Too much marketing about the core 3 for 1 of them to be traded.

Then they are doomed to be a mediocre team that pretends that they are a contender. Few things I hate more than delusion and this team is filled with it.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,105

Post#54 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 pm

TB wrote:Its been fun to see JoKu step up since he has taken the starting role. Hopefully he keeps this up all the way to the trade deadline. :wink:

It will be interesting to see if people truly understand 'sell high' there.. I think its one of the most hilariously misused tropes

A lot of things would need to happen to make it a real conversation though. In the next month, Dray would have to return and the original SL would have to get it together - that means Klay back as POA defender (get it together, Kerr), Wiggins couldnt return to an Oubre-level shooting slump (keep it together, Wiggins), Dray would have to get his head on straight (odds really tumbled after this one)..

Truly think Kuminga's future fate will be decided by the veterans in the next few months. If they rally and get back to a high level, and that's on Kerr rn, then it becomes a very viable conversation in the offseason. If they don't, or if they have peaks/valleys the rest of the year, would make more sense to keep Kuminga and look *really* closely at the idea of not retaining Klay
Onus
RealGM

Post#55 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:06 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Whether JK becomes a top 5 player or not. A team will still need the other parts of the puzzle. It also makes a team attractive for superstars. The Clippers and Nets built a team first before the superstars said hey I like what you have going on here and chose to go there. They see a premade team that they can hop on with a chance to be alpha for a championship.

What is the alternative, hope to pick another once in a lifetime unicorn shooter? This is the most realistic path to being in a position to contend in the future.

Why do you worry about the future? There is no future once Steph retires.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#56 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:33 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:I mean those aren't really great examples. They essentially traded anyone that was good for those stars and blew up any homegrown talent. They also went to LA and NY, glamour cities. And really it gives you a really short window as shown by their results.

Because there’s no future now. If they beat the Lakers last year they have a case. But Lacob said if ever came the day the trio couldn’t deliver then changes would be considered. They have delivered up until last year facing a Laker’s team they would have beat in the past.
Onus
RealGM

Post#57 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:36 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:What is the alternative, hope to pick another once in a lifetime unicorn shooter? This is the most realistic path to being in a position to contend in the future.

Because there’s no future now. If they beat the Lakers last year they have a case. But Lacob said if ever came the day the trio couldn’t deliver then changes would be considered. They have delivered up until last year facing a Laker’s team they would have beat in the past.

We have Klay's replacement in Podz. We just need Kerr to use him as such. Losing close games to top tier teams means we're only a few tweaks away.

In any case a team not lead by a top 5 or top 10 player isn't going anywhere.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#58 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:48 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:Why do you worry about the future? There is no future once Steph retires.

We have Klay's replacement in Podz. We just need Kerr to use him as such. Losing close games to top tier teams means we're only a few tweaks away.

You’re joking right. Podz is a good player, but Jerry West wouldn’t resign for him over trade discussions. Klay was special, not because of his three point shooting ability which was amazing, but his ability to defend all guards and guard forwards. Podz while a good defender is still limited in size. He got bullied around by Murray. Got to give him props for his effort, but that will only go so far when he reaches his limits.

Edit: having the pieces in place will put the Warriors in position to land a top 5 player which is why I rather keep JK and build something going forward.
Onus
RealGM

Post#59 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:53 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Because there’s no future now. If they beat the Lakers last year they have a case. But Lacob said if ever came the day the trio couldn’t deliver then changes would be considered. They have delivered up until last year facing a Laker’s team they would have beat in the past.

You’re joking right. Podz is a good player, but Jerry West wouldn’t resign for him over trade discussions. Klay was special, not because of his three point shooting ability which was amazing, but his ability to defend all guards and guard forwards. Podz while a good defender is still limited in size. He got bullied around by Murray. Got to give him props for his effort, but that will only go so far when he reaches his limits.

If there was a better player than Podz available i'd be more than happy to trade Podz for them, but Klay as an automatic closer is done. He has matchups and nights but it's just not going to happen every night.

Also let me add Klay was a decent defender. He was able to keep players from the rim, but he'd always allow for separation on pull ups or step backs. His ability to switch and hold his own was also a great asset being able to hold bigger players from just bulling their way to the rim like Blake. But he was never going to do that against a Jokic or AD. That's on Wiggins now. Klay has always been a horrid off ball defender and rebounder which is really limiting him as a player now that he's a cone at poa. Podz will at least put in the effort and is a good off ball defender and rebounder. But yea he's not going to be able to switch from jamal to jokic or from dlo to ad. That was one of the reasons we lost that Lonnie Walker game. We were playing drop because we didn't want to switch onto AD and just allowed pull up middies all game long. But the Lakers don't really have as many ball handlers as last year. We still couldn't score on the Lakers cuz Klay and JP shat the bed.

In any case we've clearly deviated from JK and what he means for the future, because what he means for the future is meaningless.
wissportsfan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#60 » by wissportsfan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:59 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

I have watched some Pistons games as well just to see Wiseman and it's incredible how much he hasn't improved at all. TJD is the player that we all thought Wiseman would progress from. I just think Wiseman doesn't have the IQ and maybe that will change, he's still very young. But TJD will catch lobs or hot passes and I'll think to myself Wiseman would've never caught that. It's like he had oven mitts for hands.

Return to Golden State Warriors