Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Re: Warriors in clutch time 

Post#41 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:57 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
jozef wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Kuminga, Curry, Draymond and Wiggins now seem obvious as the closing 4. I am not so set on the 5th guy. The 5th guy could be Trayce or Looney with me calling Kuminga a guard. Or the 5th could be Klay or Podz or Payton or Moody or Chris Paul..

Klay has surprising chemistry with Trayce. Somebody has to be the chucker for Chris Paul bench unit and I think Klay fits the bill although I don’t like separing Klay from Draymond and Curry. Klay, Trayce and Chris Paul could be good together with Trayce in the Blake Griffin role.

Kuminga cannot shoot at level needed for SF position. So it's him at PF or TJD at C who needs to be paired with Dray. I prefer TJD.
The chemistry is not surprising. TJD is the only true big with a vertical scoring so Klay feels comfortable. Maybe till May Steve Kerr accidentally falls into a opportunity to play Steph-Klay-Wigs-Dray-TJD line-up and discover a path to the championship.

Now that Kerr is extended due to small sample Size of good play, his poor development and clutch minutes play is glossed over. Fact is there is no reliable offense generator apart from steph. Kuminga is too easily shutdown. Nobody apart from steph is a good shooter even when wide open. Klay is the best of the rest, he has regressed so much in defence , he is unplayable in clutch.

Kuminga has had so many 20 point games. I have seen help defenders triple Kuminga too late and fail to shut down Kuminga.
Kuminga fails to score 20 for a few games and we decide the league has figured out Kuminga?

How does a defender shut down Kuminga? I have not seen a formula.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#42 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:05 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Sandy333 wrote:
jozef wrote:Kuminga cannot shoot at level needed for SF position. So it's him at PF or TJD at C who needs to be paired with Dray. I prefer TJD.
The chemistry is not surprising. TJD is the only true big with a vertical scoring so Klay feels comfortable. Maybe till May Steve Kerr accidentally falls into a opportunity to play Steph-Klay-Wigs-Dray-TJD line-up and discover a path to the championship.

Now that Kerr is extended due to small sample Size of good play, his poor development and clutch minutes play is glossed over. Fact is there is no reliable offense generator apart from steph. Kuminga is too easily shutdown. Nobody apart from steph is a good shooter even when wide open. Klay is the best of the rest, he has regressed so much in defence , he is unplayable in clutch.

Kuminga has had so many 20 point games. I have seen help defenders triple Kuminga too late and fail to shut down Kuminga.
Kuminga fails to score 20 for a few games and we decide the league has figured out Kuminga?

They pack the paint with length, but that means Wiggins, Dray, or Podz will be open because two people have to pay attention to Curry. This has helped JK increase his assists vs getting 20 point games.

The only thing JK needs to improve is his misdirection. He relies on power and speed and counting that the defender can’t challenge. He should try to get the defender going one way and then going opposite direction. He did that before but lately he’s been trying to power through. I’m guessing he’s tired and just wants to do the simple move.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#43 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:15 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Sandy333 wrote: Now that Kerr is extended due to small sample Size of good play, his poor development and clutch minutes play is glossed over. Fact is there is no reliable offense generator apart from steph. Kuminga is too easily shutdown. Nobody apart from steph is a good shooter even when wide open. Klay is the best of the rest, he has regressed so much in defence , he is unplayable in clutch.

They pack the paint with length, but that means Wiggins, Dray, or Podz will be open because two people have to pay attention to Curry. This has helped JK increase his assists vs getting 20 point games.

The only thing JK needs to improve is his misdirection. He relies on power and speed and counting that the defender can’t challenge. He should try to get the defender going one way and then going opposite direction. He did that before but lately he’s been trying to power through. I’m guessing he’s tired and just wants to do the simple move.

Pediction: Kuminga gets an efficient 26 points 3 assists and 6 rebounds vs Nuggets today and draws 3 fouls on Jokic getting Jokic in foul trouble. My memory says Kuminga got 20 not 26, and that I got the assist and rebound numbers right but Kuminga did not get Jokic in foul trouble.

We needed Jokic in foul trouble. Jokic was plus 32. Nuggets were minus 16 with Jokic off the floor. I want some sort of screen action that ends up with the ball in Draymond’s hands with Draymond guarded by the point guard, Kuminga guarded by Jokic and Curry guarded by the power forward. We has to happen? Curry with the ball and Draymond come around a Kuminga pick. Curry takes the shot or gives the ball to Draymond who does a Bogut style pick set with the ball in his hands. Draymond then hits Kuminga 1 on 1 under the basket with Jokic with Kuminga trying to get fouled or gets the ball to Curry guarded by a power or Draymond passés to anybody who’s man left them to double Kuminga or Curry or Draymond can start backing in the point guard who is guarding him in hopes of shooting a short shot over the point guard,
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#44 » by Sandy333 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:23 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Pediction: Kuminga gets an efficient 26 points 3 assists and 6 rebounds vs Nuggets today and draws 3 fouls on Jokic getting Jokic in foul trouble.

Players are sagging off kuminga daring him to shoot. It is criminal from Kerr that Moody and kuminga cannot shoot after 3.5 seasons.
All the headless chicken running on offence and defence takes a toll on players shooting as well.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#45 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:28 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

I'd say he needs to learn the tricks of misdirection moreso for the offball actions. He should be able to get open off ball significantly better than he does. Granted guys who dunk a lot tend to draw a certain level of defensive attention as no one wants to get on the wrong end of a highlight reel, but he should be learning to use that attention to his advantage and mislead defenders to the wrong spots where even if he can't free himself up, he can take that defender into a precarious position. This is not usually 3rd year player who's been iced out by veteran contender team stuff, but they need to get him caught up now that that's no longer the circumstance of this team.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
billinder33
Junior
And1: 86

Post#46 » by billinder33 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:12 pm

Pediction: Kuminga gets an efficient 26 points 3 assists and 6 rebounds vs Nuggets today and draws 3 fouls on Jokic getting Jokic in foul trouble.

not a bad guess... 19/6/3/1 vs the Nuggs.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#47 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:49 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:They pack the paint with length, but that means Wiggins, Dray, or Podz will be open because two people have to pay attention to Curry. This has helped JK increase his assists vs getting 20 point games.

Players are sagging off kuminga daring him to shoot. It is criminal from Kerr that Moody and kuminga cannot shoot after 3.5 seasons.
All the headless chicken running on offence and defence takes a toll on players shooting as well.

Blaming Kerr for Kuminga not being a very good 3 point shooter is stupid.

Not everybody can be a 3 point shooter. I was watching NBA when they introduced the 3 point shot. Coaches were afraid that long rebounds would turn into fast breaks and almost nobody was shooting the 3 well enough to make the 3 good for anything but desperation shots. Coaches did not encourage 3 point shooting.

The players did not think they needed the 3 and doubted that they had the potential to become good 3 point shooters.

I could practice 3s all I want but even with no defense I have doubts that I could become a 30% 3 point shooter.
The deep 2 is not a good shot. Mid mid range is not as far from the basket as I would like as a shooting threat to give Kuminga room to leave his man in the dust on the way to the rim. If Kuminga could hit pull up 3s off the dribble at 35% I would give Kuminga the ball at half court court and have Kuminga start his drive at half court and at the 3 point line Kuminga has to decide if he is pulling up for the 3 or continuing his drive. The defender may be waiting for Kuminga at the 3 point line but Kuminga will have already built up a head of stem moving towards the basket so the defender at the 3 point line would have no chance to stay with Kuminga if Kuminga continues his drive past the 3 point line. But Kuminga can’t hit 3s off the driddle like that yet.

Kuminga is over 30% at 3s. If Kuminga gets to 35% defenses have to stop giving Kuminga the 3. Defenses have to give Kuminga the 3 because nobody can stay with Kuminga step for step from the 3 point line to rim. If Kuminga improves as much over the next year as he did the last year and Curry does not decline we might start seeing triangle and 2 zones used against Curry, Kuminga and the Warriors.

If the defender follows Kuminga out to the 3 point line Kuminga will blow past them and it becomes the job of help defenders to stop Kuminga. Help defenders are arriving a step late because they can’t comprehend how fast Kuminga can get from the 3 point line to very near the basket. Defenders have conditioned their minds to defend against very fast NBA players but Kuminga is even faster on the 2nd and 3rd and 4th steps in a straight line than anything the NBA defenders are used to. I have seen this before; his name was James Worthy.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#48 » by Sandy333 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:20 am

Sandy333 wrote:

Blaming Kerr for Kuminga not being a very good 3 point shooter is stupid.

Not everybody can be a 3 point shooter. I was watching NBA when they introduced the 3 point shot. Coaches were afraid that long rebounds would turn into fast breaks and almost nobody was shooting the 3 well enough to make the 3 good for anything but desperation shots. Coaches did not encourage 3 point shooting.

The players did not think they needed the 3 and doubted that they had the potential to become good 3 point shooters.

I could practice 3s all I want but even with no defense I have doubts that I could become a 30% 3 point shooter.
The deep 2 is not a good shot. Mid mid range is not as far from the basket as I would like as a shooting threat to give Kuminga room to leave his man in the dust on the way to the rim. If Kuminga could hit pull up 3s off the dribble at 35% I would give Kuminga the ball at half court court and have Kuminga start his drive at half court and at the 3 point line Kuminga has to decide if he is pulling up for the 3 or continuing his drive. The defender may be waiting for Kuminga at the 3 point line but Kuminga will have already built up a head of stem moving towards the basket so the defender at the 3 point line would have no chance to stay with Kuminga if Kuminga continues his drive past the 3 point line. But Kuminga can’t hit 3s off the driddle like that yet.

Kuminga is over 30% at 3s. If Kuminga gets to 35% defenses have to stop giving Kuminga the 3. Defenses have to give Kuminga the 3 because nobody can stay with Kuminga step for step from the 3 point line to rim. If Kuminga improves as much over the next year as he did the last year and Curry does not decline we might start seeing triangle and 2 zones used against Curry, Kuminga and the Warriors.

If the defender follows Kuminga out to the 3 point line Kuminga will blow past them and it becomes the job of help defenders to stop Kuminga. Help defenders are arriving a step late because they can’t comprehend how fast Kuminga can get from the 3 point line to very near the basket. Defenders have conditioned their minds to defend against very fast NBA players but Kuminga is even faster on the 2nd and 3rd and 4th steps in a straight line than anything the NBA defenders are used to. I have seen this before; his name was James Worthy.

Kuminga lack of outside shot is stopping his game. There are more people who have improved thier 3%pt shot than that haven't. Dirk or Steph would practice shooting after a game or full practise to condition the mind to maintain the form or compensate even when body is tired. If kuminga is not able to shoot threes or long twos on automatic better ship him out he has great value now and is good against most defence. Maybe a proper coach can teach him better.

Return to Golden State Warriors