ImageImageImageImageImage

TJD Not Playing Is Costing Warriors Games

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Re: TJD Not Playing Is Costing Warriors Games 

Post#61 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:33 am

TJD still making the same mistake after multiple games. I hope the great developmental coach Kerr reminds him to not leave his man to over help. It’s happened game after game, what is this coaching staff doing. I guess TJD is supposed to figure things out himself except he’s not.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#62 » by jozef » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:38 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:TJD still making the same mistake after multiple games. I hope the great developmental coach Kerr reminds him to not leave his man to over help. It’s happened game after game, what is this coaching staff I guess TJD is supposed to figure things out himself except he’s not.

Samples, please.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#63 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:02 pm

jozef wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:TJD still making the same mistake after multiple games. I hope the great developmental coach Kerr reminds him to not leave his man to over help. It’s happened game after game, what is this coaching staff I guess TJD is supposed to figure things out himself except he’s not.

Samples, please.

The one from recent memory was Raptors game Dray guarding Barrett driving and doing a decent good job, TJD inexplicably comes to help, doing nothing really, neglects his man near the basket. Barrett sees him leaving Olynyk under the basket and throws a pass to the open man underneath the basket. Seen this multiple times already. His help doesn’t really do much while leaving his big underneath the basket is like a guaranteed bucket. I don’t know whether it’s the direction they gave him or he does it on his own, but either case this is not good at all. The decision has to be corrected, but after multiple games nothing has been done.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by jozef » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:50 pm

Thanks. He was +8 and 3-4 FG 3-4 FT 4 rebs in 16 mins.
I look at the play and Barrett got a step on Dray so it could be a layup or block from behind or foul or layup plus foul. I see a good reason for TJD to protect the rim. In perfect world they would switch and Dray would take a care of that drop pass to Olynyk.
Barrett is lefty and he went to the left. It was tough pass and Olynyk had to grab it from the floor cause he could not catch it well at first.
Thanks again. It is rare that someone is able to bring a sample for his claim.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#65 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:36 pm

jozef wrote:Thanks. He was +8 and 3-4 FG 3-4 FT 4 rebs in 16 mins.
I look at the play and Barrett got a step on Dray so it could be a layup or block from behind or foul or layup plus foul. I see a good reason for TJD to protect the rim. In perfect world they would switch and Dray would take a care of that drop pass to Olynyk.
Barrett is lefty and he went to the left. It was tough pass and Olynyk had to grab it from the floor cause he could not catch it well at first.

In my opinion, the pass wasn’t that tough to make. Once TJD committed, the decision was easy for Barrett to make. There would be no one to contest under the basket and Barrett would be committed to delivering the pass.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#66 » by jozef » Sun Mar 3, 2024 10:13 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
jozef wrote:Thanks. He was +8 and 3-4 FG 3-4 FT 4 rebs in 16 mins.

In my opinion, the pass wasn’t that tough to make. Once TJD committed, the decision was easy for Barrett to make. There would be no one to contest under the basket and Barrett would be committed to delivering the pass.

1 Barrett got a step on Dray
2 In perfect world they would switch and Dray would take a care of that drop pass to Olynyk
3 It was tough pass and Olynyk had to grab it from the floor cause he could not catch it well at first
So in my opinion TJD did great job and it was on Dray to make a switch. Now Dray is maybe a bit inexperienced in the idea of his partner at center position being able to protect the rim :wink:
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by jozef » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:17 am

I can measure the strength of the team while evaluating PF and C position.
It is nice ladder scheme:

Level 0 = absence of Draymond or small lineup: losing to anybody
Level 1 = unathletic Looney or Saric at C: average team
Level 2 = athletic Kuminga at PF and Green at C: slightly above average team, winning over average teams and losing to the best teams
Level 3 = Green at PF and Jackson-Davis at C, Kumminga off the bench: the only way to beat anybody, still undiscovered by coaching staff
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Post#68 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:39 pm

jozef wrote:I can measure the strength of the team while evaluating PF and C position.

Level 2 = athletic Kuminga at PF and Green at C: slightly above average team, winning over average teams and losing to the best teams
Level 3 = Green at PF and Jackson-Davis at C, Kumminga off the bench: the only way to beat anybody, still undiscovered by coaching staff

The fact that this hasn't been tried is absolutely crazy. They seem like a no brainer to pair together, yet they've only played 26 minutes together and they have a net rating of +26.

TJD has only played fewer minutes with Looney (<1) and Green has only played fewer minutes with Santos (20).
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by jozef » Mon Mar 4, 2024 8:39 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote: They seem like a no brainer to pair together, yet they've only played 26 minutes together and they have a net rating of +26

Is it true? What is your source?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,165

Post#70 » by TB » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:10 pm

jozef wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote: They seem like a no brainer to pair together, yet they've only played 26 minutes together and they have a net rating of +26

fantasy labs lines up with that info
https://www.fantasylabs.com/nba/on-off/

Steph has been in majority of those minutes as well, but its interesting to me that there are virtually no minutes with Steph/Dray and all the kids, especially with a center next to Dray. And obviously this is because almost all of Kuminga/Dray minutes have been small ball as the 4/5 (with great results).

I'd love to see:

Steph, Wiggins, Moody, Dray, Trayce

or with Wiggins out
Steph, Podz, Moody, Dray, Trayce

Wouldn't even be against going big with Kuminga in there for Podz or Moody at times.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#71 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:38 am

TB wrote:
jozef wrote:

fantasy labs lines up with that info
https://www.fantasylabs.com/nba/on-off/

Steph has been in majority of those minutes as well, but its interesting to me that there are virtually no minutes with Steph/Dray and all the kids, especially with a center next to Dray. And obviously this is because almost all of Kuminga/Dray minutes have been small ball as the 4/5 (with great results).

I'd love to see:

Steph, Wiggins, Moody, Dray, Trayce

or with Wiggins out
Steph, Podz, Moody, Dray, Trayce

Wouldn't even be against going big with Kuminga in there for Podz or Moody at times.

Yeah, that's the best playoff style line up. But it's very dependant on moody and wiggibs being able to hit shots. That defense though, would be electric.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#72 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:48 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
jozef wrote:I can measure the strength of the team while evaluating PF and C position.

The fact that this hasn't been tried is absolutely crazy. They seem like a no brainer to pair together, yet they've only played 26 minutes together and they have a net rating of +26.

TJD has only played fewer minutes with Looney (<1) and Green has only played fewer minutes with Santos (20).

They don't want to play tjd and jk together. They believe there would be too many lapses on the backline and it makes sense. Tjd does miss on help while jk also struggles with that. Tjd and saric are bad too, but that's for limited minutes and always vs the opposing bench units. Saric needs to get his minutes cut, then u can try more jk or moody with tjd and dray.

Green, Wiggins, and tjd have been fire as a trio, but small sample size: + 46.7 net rtg.
Green, jk, and tjd: +8.7 net rtg
Green, moody, and tjd +16.2 net rtg
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,706

Post#73 » by WarriorGM » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:08 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

They don't want to play tjd and jk together. They believe there would be too many lapses on the backline and it makes sense. Tjd does miss on help while jk also struggles with that. Tjd and saric are bad too, but that's for limited minutes and always vs the opposing bench units. Saric needs to get his minutes cut, then u can try more jk or moody with tjd and dray.

Green, Wiggins, and tjd have been fire as a trio, but small sample size: + 46.7 net rtg.
Green, jk, and tjd: +8.7 net rtg
Green, moody, and tjd +16.2 net rtg

They won't get better together unless you play them together. That they aren't a negative despite all the theorizing that they might be should weigh against the theories.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by jozef » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:41 pm

TJD possesses high basketball IQ and JK gets better. If they keep Green for 32 minutes on the floor versus opponent stars then I am perfectly sure that TJD and JK at C and PF can match any second tier players.

The same coaches are not afraid of lapses when they put Klay on Zion or Gordon... I would be scared to assign JK to defend so-called point-of-attack player at PG/SG/SF (well, opponent can call play for someone else and "point-of-attack" player sits in the corner...) and let small guy to defend big man - these "innovative" ideas make me sick cause they ae bound to troubles and disruption in our own team.

And I mention Klay here. Klay cannot play with small lineup or unathletic center anymore. The plasticity is not there. Steph is specimen who can get out of tough situation but he also can endure rough day like last game versus Celtics. It is in split-of-second decision making, Klay needs to shoot, pass or drive. But if there is weak inside finisher at C then it is tough to pass. It is also tough to drive cause he does not feel strong about drop pass option for the same reason. So he often chooses to shoot and he lost balance on his jump more often than before. BUT if you look at him when playing with TJD then everything seems to fit. Shots, passes, drives. Top level. And it has its analogy on defensive end.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,340

Post#75 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:35 am

They draft a 4-year college player for the first time in a long time and he contributes a lot in his rookie year.

There was an interview with him, Trace first crediting genetics — 6-9 and 40-something inch vertical.

But he said he worked a lot on his game in college.

Thing I don’t get is why he didn’t enter the draft earlier. If he played any summer games in Chicago against pros, it should have been evident that he could hang. Not as scorers but rebounding, defense and rim runner.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 460

Post#76 » by superunknown » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:56 am

play the kid 20+ a game.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#77 » by Romulus » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:02 am

I hate to be the one to tell you I told you so...
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Post#78 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:27 pm

All-Time WS/48 leaders for rookies. Minimum 69 games played.

Wilt Chamberlain .245
David Robinson .241
Arvydas Sabonis .233
Walt Bellamy .233
Clifford Ray .222
Michael Jordan .213
Oscar Robinson .210
Trayce Jackson-Davis .202*

All-Time PER leaders for rookies. Minimum 69 games played.

Wilt Chamberlain 28.1
Walt Bellamy 26.6
David Robinson 26.3
Oscar Robinson 25.9
Michael Jordan 25.8
Bob Petit 24.9
Arvydas Sabonis 24.7
Elgin Baylor 23.6
Ray Felix 23.1
Shaquille O'Neal 22.9
Terry Cummings 22.8
Tim Duncan 22.6
Karl-Anthony Towns 22.5
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 22.5
Walter Davis 22.1
Chris Paul 22.1
Trayce Jackson-Davis 21.9*

*needs to play every remaining game to get 69

Nice.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#79 » by HiRez » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:40 pm

Kerr is getting there, it's just frustratingly slowly for all of us watching. He did it with Kuminga, then Moody, now TJD. He's trying to keep all his vets happy with playing time but as these young guys continue to excel it eventually becomes untenable to keep them on the bench.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,340

Post#80 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:14 pm

TJD does well with finishing and contesting some shots at the rim.

What is his rebound rate and how does he do with defending pick and rolls? Have they trained him on the different tactics, like drop or hedge?

Or switching to perimeter players?

Presumably those would be among the reasons that vets are still getting more playing time.

Return to Golden State Warriors