ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?)

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 457

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?) 

Post#3341 » by superunknown » Fri May 3, 2024 3:46 pm

what a sign anuoby for the knicks. defensively he's been a game changer for them.
compliments to our FO, meyers first but also dunleavy. dubs had the pieces to trade for him, chose not too. compliments.
but ofc the coaching staff deserves most of the blame for the last 2 lousy easons not the FO....
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,224

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?) 

Post#3342 » by DonaldSanders » Mon May 6, 2024 11:52 pm

If you want a good laugh, some people think we should be saving the Suns from the Beal contract on the Trade board.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,054

Post#3343 » by Jester_ » Tue May 7, 2024 1:15 am

Question for capologists - how much cap space could we realistically free up (if any) this summer if we wanted to go after someone in free agency? I mean by losing Klay, CP3, shipping Wiggins off, whatever other shenanigans
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#3344 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 2:02 am

Jester_ wrote:Question for capologists - how much cap space could we realistically free up (if any) this summer if we wanted to go after someone in free agency? I mean by losing Klay, CP3, shipping Wiggins off, whatever other shenanigans

Who are you targeting in free agency?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,090

Post#3345 » by whatisacenter » Thu May 9, 2024 5:35 pm

Onus wrote:
Jester_ wrote:Question for capologists - how much cap space could we realistically free up (if any) this summer if we wanted to go after someone in free agency? I mean by losing Klay, CP3, shipping Wiggins off, whatever other shenanigans

I dunno? Maybe PG?
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM

Post#3346 » by Onus » Thu May 9, 2024 5:45 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Onus wrote:

I dunno? Maybe PG?

PG is old as dirt as well ...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#3347 » by TB » Thu May 9, 2024 9:54 pm

I'm not an expert but a general idea is:

Cap is 141m, which we would need to be under if we want to sign someone outright without using the 12m MLE or a smaller exemption type.

If we renounce Klay and waive CP3, that puts us at 144m. But thats only with 10 players, so the part I'm not as versed in is the cap holds that vet min, rookie deals, etc would count towards... but in general the point is we are still over the cap but under Lux Tax of 171m.

If we then traded Wiggins for pure cap relief, in the form of a draft pick to a team with cap space.... that gets us to 117m with 9 players not including those potential cap holds mentioned before.

Could also waive Loon to free up about 5m. Could try to restructure GP2 to keep him a few more years and lower the annual by a couple million.

Thats around 110m with 8 players. Under the 141m cap but not enough for a max player like PG. Plenty for 1 or 2 good players though. And would still have the 12m MLE.

I think the realistic part to mention is that trading Wiggins for cap is more than likely to make sure we can sign Klay while staying under lux tax. I find it very unlikely they let CP3 and Klay walk AND trade Wiggins for cap space. I'd be open to it though and have proposed a few plans with that happening.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#3348 » by DevinVassell » Thu May 9, 2024 10:18 pm

TB wrote:

Cap is 141m, which we would need to be under if we want to sign someone outright without using the 12m MLE or a smaller exemption type.

If we renounce Klay and waive CP3, that puts us at 144m. But thats only with 10 players, so the part I'm not as versed in is the cap holds that vet min, rookie deals, etc would count towards... but in general the point is we are still over the cap but under Lux Tax of 171m.

If we then traded Wiggins for pure cap relief, in the form of a draft pick to a team with cap space.... that gets us to 117m with 9 players not including those potential cap holds mentioned before.

Could also waive Loon to free up about 5m. Could try to restructure GP2 to keep him a few more years and lower the annual by a couple million.

Thats around 110m with 8 players. Under the 141m cap but not enough for a max player like PG. Plenty for 1 or 2 good players though. And would still have the 12m MLE.

I think the realistic part to mention is that trading Wiggins for cap is more than likely to make sure we can sign Klay while staying under lux tax. I find it very unlikely they let CP3 and Klay walk AND trade Wiggins for cap space. I'd be open to it though and have proposed a few plans with that happening.

and Steph actually asked the f/o if him taking a discount on his contract would help.
Onus
RealGM

Post#3349 » by Onus » Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
TB wrote:

and Steph actually asked the f/o if him taking a discount on his contract would help.

If Steph did take a discount that just means it's more likely that Klay stays and we really don't want that. So good thing he didn't take a discount.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#3350 » by DevinVassell » Sat May 11, 2024 9:05 pm

Onus wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:
TB wrote:

If Steph did take a discount that just means it's more likely that Klay stays and we really don't want that. So good thing he didn't take a discount.

That's some impressive mental gymnastics.

9/10
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,580

Post#3351 » by JRoy » Sun May 12, 2024 9:16 pm

Turns out that 24 GSW FRP was a lotto pick.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Onus
RealGM

Post#3352 » by Onus » Sun May 12, 2024 9:48 pm

JRoy wrote:Turns out that 24 GSW FRP was a lotto pick.

Enjoy the 14th pick. We won a title from this trade!
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,090

Post#3353 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 13, 2024 3:26 pm

Onus wrote:

That trade was totally worth it.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,580

Post#3354 » by JRoy » Mon May 13, 2024 3:50 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Onus wrote:

That trade was totally worth it.

Us too. Really need an infusion of talent.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,090

Post#3355 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 5:17 pm

Woj now saying that the Hawks are likely to shop Trae and keep DJM :sad:
Onus
RealGM

Post#3356 » by Onus » Mon May 13, 2024 5:27 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Woj now saying that the Hawks are likely to shop Trae and keep DJM :sad:

They didn't like the value that DJM was getting they're going to hate the value that Trae is going to bring back.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3357 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Woj now saying that the Hawks are likely to shop Trae and keep DJM :sad:

They didn't like the value that DJM was getting they're going to hate the value that Trae is going to bring back.

Its a weird, fluid situation. They know that the 2 can't co-exist, but the prevailing thought was that Trae must clearly have more trade value to the rest of the league because he somewhat emulates Steph Curry. The difference is that Trae is super ball-dominant, and if you're going to be that, you'd better have a crazy good defense behind you and/or being ultra-efficient, which Trae is not. He's not a fatally flawed player by any means, but he is going to have to alter his game to be more off-ball if he's going to max out his impact. Instead of trying to be Steph, he'd be better off trying to be a better scoring Mark Price.. knock that usage down about 5-8% and try to spike his efficiency while doing so

A team like San Antonio would be perfect for him.. as would Orlando. But whats weird to me is that Trae is probably going to fit in less places than DJM, so I wouldnt expect Trae to have much more trade value unless people believe they are getting a star. And I dont think they really are, they are "only" getting a really good player who's been a #1 by default on a middle of the road team
Onus
RealGM

Post#3358 » by Onus » Mon May 13, 2024 7:27 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:

Its a weird, fluid situation. They know that the 2 can't co-exist, but the prevailing thought was that Trae must clearly have more trade value to the rest of the league because he somewhat emulates Steph Curry. The difference is that Trae is super ball-dominant, and if you're going to be that, you'd better have a crazy good defense behind you and/or being ultra-efficient, which Trae is not. He's not a fatally flawed player by any means, but he is going to have to alter his game to be more off-ball if he's going to max out his impact. Instead of trying to be Steph, he'd be better off trying to be a better scoring Mark Price.. knock that usage down about 5-8% and try to spike his efficiency while doing so

A team like San Antonio would be perfect for him.. as would Orlando. But whats weird to me is that Trae is probably going to fit in less places than DJM, so I wouldnt expect Trae to have much more trade value unless people believe they are getting a star. And I dont think they really are, they are "only" getting a really good player who's been a #1 by default on a middle of the road team

You'd want Trae on the Magic?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#3359 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 13, 2024 7:35 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:They didn't like the value that DJM was getting they're going to hate the value that Trae is going to bring back.

If the Magic could swing a deal using guys like Black/Cole Anthony and a 1st or 2, I think thats a win-win. Magic could still re-sign Fultz (say at 15m/yr), and they'd do a lot to address their shooting problems. Hawks would likely need to re-route Black but he's still got upside as a light shooting/heavy creating PG.

Trae / Fultz
Suggs /
Franz / Jett / Houstan
Paolo / Isaac
WCJ / Mo

And they'd still have roughly 30m in cap to play with if they wanted to make the tragic mistake of adding Klay. Still think Hield would be better, and cheaper, and give them more space to get a 4/5 to account for Isaac's unreliability and Mo Wagners meh impact. But whatever.. I think it could have legs, if they wanted to go down that road
Onus
RealGM

Post#3360 » by Onus » Mon May 13, 2024 7:39 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

If the Magic could swing a deal using guys like Black/Cole Anthony and a 1st or 2, I think thats a win-win. Magic could still re-sign Fultz (say at 15m/yr), and they'd do a lot to address their shooting problems. Hawks would likely need to re-route Black but he's still got upside as a light shooting/heavy creating PG.

Trae / Fultz
Suggs /
Franz / Jett / Houstan
Paolo / Isaac
WCJ / Mo

And they'd still have roughly 30m in cap to play with if they wanted to make the tragic mistake of adding Klay. Still think Hield would be better, and cheaper, and give them more space to get a 4/5 to account for Isaac's unreliability and Mo Wagners meh impact. But whatever.. I think it could have legs, if they wanted to go down that road

You think Trae is going to fetch roughly 3 1sts? DJM wasn't getting that.

Return to Golden State Warriors