ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, Baldwin Jr., 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Re: Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, Baldwin Jr., 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul 

Post#541 » by sonnyhill » Wed May 1, 2024 5:42 pm

Scotty2Hotty wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
Scotty2Hotty wrote:
A soon-to-be 39-year old averaging 9.2 PPG playing below-average defense that isn’t a fit for the offense the Warriors/Kerr runs helps a rebuild? Dude has 1, maybe 2 seasons remaining in his fast-declining career. How is that helping a rebuild?

By having his salary go POOF or get traded for someone who can help the team win.

I’ll ask the same question I asked last Summer…why did we not pick up a younger, less expensive PG instead of Paul?

Cory Joseph is "...a younger (than Chris Paul), less expensive PG" whom Kerr felt comfortable putting into the rotation, too.
S-Gorilla86
Freshman
And1: 57

Re: Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, Baldwin Jr., 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul 

Post#542 » by S-Gorilla86 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:40 pm

Reading the title of the thread, I totally forgot about the 2030 first rounder! Assuming we don't get our pick this year, that means our only tradable FRPs are '26 and '28 correct?

Sent from my SM-S906U using RealGM mobile app
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,397

Post#543 » by Onus » Wed May 1, 2024 8:01 pm

S-Gorilla86 wrote:Reading the title of the thread, I totally forgot about the 2030 first rounder! Assuming we don't get our pick this year, that means our only tradable FRPs are '26 and '28 correct?

Sent from my SM-S906U using RealGM mobile app

We can technically trade the '30 pick but only the top 1-20 portion since it's top 20 protected currently.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,315

Post#544 » by DonaldSanders » Wed May 1, 2024 10:50 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Context matters.

Poole was VERY good offensively for the Warriors. Way better than CP could be. WAY BETTER.

BTW, I guarantee you that if Warriors traded Klay three year ago to be the number one option for the Wizards...he would have looked like crap too.

The only thing I'm happy about with the trade is the money. But the reason why the money looked bad is directly related to Draymond F'ing up Poole here....

Durant...gone.
Poole...a young talented scorer that HAD to play well for Curry to get his forth...also screwed up by Draymond BS.

There is no way to say for sure Poole wouldn't have become a better player in a PROPER Warrior context.

Which was the VERY good part? The nonstop turnovers, or the low percentage volume shooting?

Poole scored a lot of points, but CP3 was hugely stabilizing to the offense. Poole was horrific on defense, while CP3 was just below average. As many have said, the biggest problem with CP3 was that Kerr kept putting him in lineups that were dysfunctional. When it was just CP3 stabilizing an otherwise inexperienced crazy offense, I was totally fine with him.

JP 88% FT, 19 pts, 4 assists on 2.5 TO for his last two years. (35% on 3s)
Curry 91%, 25 pts, 6 assists on 3 TO for those same years. (40% on 3s)

CP 82%, 9 pts, 6 assists on 1.3 TO 58 games played.

So yes....way better. And if playing 82 games with Poole's stats vs 58 played with CP's stats doesn't matter to you then good luck. Poole was critical in replacing Curry while he was out and he helped the Warriors through the playoffs and helped dominate the Celtics. All that is fact.

Way better eh? Your argument is basically that low efficiency (5% below TS league average) volume scoring is more important than every other area of basketball, and most people don't like low efficiency scoring. Pretty much every metric you look up has Paul as a small plus in 2024 and Poole being a solid minus in 2024.

Poole 2024
Win Shares: -0.6
BPM: -3.9
VORP: -1.2
TS%: 52.9%

All-in-one metrics
EPM: -2.0
LEBRON: -2.36

CP3 2024
Win Shares: +.136
BPM: +1.0
VORP: +1.2
TS%: 54.4

All-in-one metrics
EPM: +0.7
LEBRON: +.98
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,118

Post#545 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 23, 2024 5:59 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275829/Chris-Paul-Warriors-Could-Move-Back-June-28-Deadline-On-$30M-Guarantee

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/nba-free-agency-coaching-carousel

Paul is on a non-guaranteed salary worth $30 million that the Warriors have yet to make a decision on. With a June 28th deadline, the Warriors and Paul could mutually agree to extend the deadline with the possibility of a trade using his salary as ballast. There could be a number of additional trade possibilities available to the Warriors if the deadline is extended, while Paul increases his chances of earning the additional salary for 24-25.

Extending the deadline beyond the draft for post-draft options.. I'm not sure how long they can extend it though, legally. Technically CP3 should have no problem extending the deadline if it can get him some extra millions before he's waived and officially joins up w/LAL or SAS. But the good news seems to be that keeping him at 30m appears to be off the table. Never know with how much stroke the veterans and coach wield, but its at least a good sign
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,766

Post#546 » by azwfan » Thu May 23, 2024 6:39 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275829/Chris-Paul-Warriors-Could-Move-Back-June-28-Deadline-On-$30M-Guarantee

Paul is on a non-guaranteed salary worth $30 million that the Warriors have yet to make a decision on. With a June 28th deadline, the Warriors and Paul could mutually agree to extend the deadline with the possibility of a trade using his salary as ballast. There could be a number of additional trade possibilities available to the Warriors if the deadline is extended, while Paul increases his chances of earning the additional salary for 24-25.

Extending the deadline beyond the draft for post-draft options.. I'm not sure how long they can extend it though, legally. Technically CP3 should have no problem extending the deadline if it can get him some extra millions before he's waived and officially joins up w/LAL or SAS. But the good news seems to be that keeping him at 30m appears to be off the table. Never know with how much stroke the veterans and coach wield, but its at least a good sign

Is it possible to trade Pauls contract for some lousy contract and get assets in return while staying under the luxury tax? Its basically what Washington did, although would want more than a heavily protected 1st as an asset.

Going based off of memory, if we let Klay go and stretch waive Looney we should be close, or no?
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#547 » by killmongrel » Yesterday 5:23 am

azwfan wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275829/Chris-Paul-Warriors-Could-Move-Back-June-28-Deadline-On-$30M-Guarantee

Is it possible to trade Pauls contract for some lousy contract and get assets in return while staying under the luxury tax? Its basically what Washington did, although would want more than a heavily protected 1st as an asset.

Going based off of memory, if we let Klay go and stretch waive Looney we should be close, or no?

Luxury tax is 171 next season. Warriors have about 144m in guaranteed contracts. Warriors, if they wanted, could guarantee about 15m of CP's contract which is the minimum while 30m is the maximum. That would put them at around 160m. So yeah, they can do that.

But that doesn't leave much room for Klay. And depending on how many players they get back in the CP trade, they'd still have to at least another vet minimum to get to 13.

They can make more room though by only guaranteeing 3m of Looney's contract and maybe bring him back on a vet minimum. That would free up around 3m I think. They can also salary dump other players but would cost assets.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,766

Post#548 » by azwfan » Yesterday 7:27 am

killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:

Luxury tax is 171 next season. Warriors have about 144m in guaranteed contracts. Warriors, if they wanted, could guarantee about 15m of CP's contract which is the minimum while 30m is the maximum. That would put them at around 160m. So yeah, they can do that.

But that doesn't leave much room for Klay. And depending on how many players they get back in the CP trade, they'd still have to at least another vet minimum to get to 13.

They can make more room though by only guaranteeing 3m of Looney's contract and maybe bring him back on a vet minimum. That would free up around 3m I think. They can also salary dump other players but would cost assets.

Thanks! Sounds unlikely to me.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,111

Post#549 » by whatisacenter » Yesterday 3:09 pm

Saw this and was glad to see that it was an option to extend it past the current deadline.

Curious to see the first domino fall this offseason and see what direction the team is heading in.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#550 » by CDM_Stats » Yesterday 4:36 pm

whatisacenter wrote:

Saw this and was glad to see that it was an option to extend it past the current deadline.

Curious to see the first domino fall this offseason and see what direction the team is heading in.

Well extending the deadline is preparing for a trade, and CP3 is not going to hold much value himself. And we wouldnt need to add CP3 to already larger contracts (most likely, anyways), so they are strongly pointing in one direction right now. The hope has to be that picks arent part of the equation here, but my trust in the decision-makers right now is extremely shaky
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#551 » by EvanZ » Yesterday 5:47 pm

How does this help us get below the second apron?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,397

Post#552 » by Onus » Yesterday 5:50 pm

EvanZ wrote:How does this help us get below the second apron?

It means that Klay isn't being brought back?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#553 » by EvanZ » Yesterday 6:24 pm

Onus wrote:

I mean...I'll believe that when I see it. It just seems odd to me that we would stay over the second apron.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#554 » by CDM_Stats » Yesterday 6:30 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:

I mean...I'll believe that when I see it. It just seems odd to me that we would stay over the second apron.

There's a good chance that its just maintaining flexibility in case something crazy drops into the team's laps. There's not really a downside to it for anyone. CP3 doesnt need to be available on day 1 of FA, the Warriors would like flexibility post-draft if a certain draft pick makes a veteran expendable.. no risk, low-ish reward

But if Klay were definitely being retained, or they even had a price point that was fairly high for him, then this wouldnt even be an option. So there's a sliver of optimism with it
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,286

Post#555 » by xdrta+ » Yesterday 6:30 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:

Why would they be above the 2nd apron?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#556 » by HiRez » Yesterday 6:38 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Curious to see the first domino fall this offseason and see what direction the team is heading in.

I've got a bad feeling the dominos are going be very small, and fall late.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#557 » by EvanZ » Yesterday 6:44 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:It means that Klay isn't being brought back?

If they are planning to keep CP3's salary on the books.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 122

Post#558 » by vvoland » Yesterday 6:50 pm

EvanZ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

With CP3's full salary, they're at 174M. If they bring Klay back for ~15M, they'd still be under the 2nd apron (189). If they bring back a player for CP3 that makes less than 30, they're even further under the 2nd apron. If they stretch/waive Loon, that's another 5M. If they restructure GP2 that could free up another ~3M. I think they'd need one or two min salaries to fill out the roster spots, but even if they bring back CP3's full contract and resign Klay for ~20M, they have multiple ways to get under the 2nd apron. If the aggregate any contracts in a trade, they'll be hard capped at the 2nd apron (xdrta can correct me if I'm wrong).
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,286

Post#559 » by xdrta+ » Yesterday 7:23 pm

EvanZ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

No one, especially the Warriors, is paying Chris Paul $30M next season to sit on the bench somewhere. If they manage to trade him, it will be with a partially guaranteed salary, $10--15M something like that. The idea the Warriors would keep his $30M salary next year is beyond ridiculous.

As vvoland pointed out, they wouldn't be over the 2nd apron anyway.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#560 » by CDM_Stats » Yesterday 7:36 pm

vvoland wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

With CP3's full salary, they're at 174M. If they bring Klay back for ~15M, they'd still be under the 2nd apron (189). If they bring back a player for CP3 that makes less than 30, they're even further under the 2nd apron. If they stretch/waive Loon, that's another 5M. If they restructure GP2 that could free up another ~3M. I think they'd need one or two min salaries to fill out the roster spots, but even if they bring back CP3's full contract and resign Klay for ~20M, they have multiple ways to get under the 2nd apron. If the aggregate any contracts in a trade, they'll be hard capped at the 2nd apron (xdrta can correct me if I'm wrong).

Lets say they keep CP3s full salary via trade and bring back Klay.. that would be 10 roster spots right? If you waive Looney, that saves 4m but opens up a roster spot as well, drops to 9. If they keep Gui, thats 10. And I think the minimum is 13 or 14? But if you're getting vet min guys with any experience at all, thats about 2.1m a pop (up to 3.4)

Return to Golden State Warriors