With the 19th pick, Warriors select Brandin Podziemski

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,093

Re: With the 19th pick, Warriors select Brandin Podziemski 

Post#221 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:35 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Who is up in their feelings?

My comment "uh, you the coach" was what CP said to a reporter about coming off the bench. My point is, I have no idea what his role is going to be and neither do you.

Let me check the Draymond thread and get back to you on feelings :dontknow:

Draymond has nothing to do with this....

But....yes, I don't like Draymond the person and I also don't think extending Draymond the player for 4 years was a smart move. Two things can be equally true and not dependent of each other. You seem to think my opinion, which differs from yours, must be due to "feelings" which is a load of crap.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,093

Post#222 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 am

whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Who is up in their feelings?

My comment "uh, you the coach" was what CP said to a reporter about coming off the bench. My point is, I have no idea what his role is going to be and neither do you.

But....yes, I don't like Draymond the person and I also don't think extending Draymond the player for 4 years was a smart move. Two things can be equally true and not dependent of each other. You seem to think my opinion, which differs from yours, must be due to "feelings" which is a load of crap.

Ok fair, you're right. And I misread into that CP3 quote, I forgot that CP3 had said that specifically... I guess I'm still wondering what the hell was confusing about the word 'role' from before. So my fault there. But I mean cmon, he's stepping directly into Poole's role.. and Podz is the only non-Steph guard on the roster guaranteed beyond this season. I didnt even have to use my tarot cards on this one. And thats not directed at you

*that said*.. it goes beyond differing opinions. And you know this. People have asked what your plan would be, and it was grim. It was a white flag for this year at minimum, 2 years most likely, and trying to build around a 36 year old Curry sans Draymond and Klay with little money or assets to do anything with. If this core is too old now, why wouldnt a Curry core be too old in 2025-26? Or even a 35 y/o Curry in 24-25, where we don't have any picks currently?

I dont think getting rid of a top 20 impact player - and that's almost universal across every metric or tracking device - is an opinion based on cold logic. Especially when he signed a deal that specifically helps the team's future moves, as well as that 4th year quite likely being a stretch waive situation, barring 3 straight years of contention
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#223 » by michaelm » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:46 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Ok fair, you're right. And I misread into that CP3 quote, I forgot that CP3 had said that specifically... I guess I'm still wondering what the hell was confusing about the word 'role' from before. So my fault there. But I mean cmon, he's stepping directly into Poole's role.. and Podz is the only non-Steph guard on the roster guaranteed beyond this season. I didnt even have to use my tarot cards on this one. And thats not directed at you

*that said*.. it goes beyond differing opinions. And you know this. People have asked what your plan would be, and it was grim. It was a white flag for this year at minimum, 2 years most likely, and trying to build around a 36 year old Curry sans Draymond and Klay with little money or assets to do anything with. If this core is too old now, why wouldnt a Curry core be too old in 2025-26? Or even a 35 y/o Curry in 24-25, where we don't have any picks currently?

I dont think getting rid of a top 20 impact player - and that's almost universal across every metric or tracking device - is an opinion based on cold logic. Especially when he signed a deal that specifically helps the team's future moves, as well as that 4th year quite likely being a stretch waive situation, barring 3 straight years of contention

Bottom line I strongly suspect is that Curry wanted Draymond, and even apart from anything else the only chance of contention in the short term rests on Curry, and they can’t/shouldn’t throw away another year of what is still hopefully his late prime. Green is a high impact player by pretty much any measure as you say, and does complement Curry well. If the core trio and CP3 are all past it such is life, but the organisation has done fairly well imo thus far to have a roster which has a chance of fitting together as the 2022 title winning roster did, and I am hopeful until events prove otherwise

Sure they could have/should have drafted Wagner or Haliburton, the latter in particular may turn out to be a franchise level player, but hindsight is easy and for next season within the strictures the FO had they have done pretty well imo, even hoping CP3 can be kept sufficiently healthy by the medical staff is a better bet than continuing with Poole as things were last season, and Poole is not likely to be a franchise level player elsewhere either, again imo,
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#224 » by wco81 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:50 am

EvanZ wrote:
wco81 wrote:Another no substance post.

Keep going with the emojis to hide inability to elaborate an argument.

Unfortunately you don't seem to follow the argument. For example, I clearly explained the reason why you will almost always be disappointed that someone better is taken *somewhere* after our pick (highly probable someone taken after Podz will be better than Podz). But instead of acknowledging the correctness of my argument, you simply change the bar and argue "Well, did you even consider that our pick should be better than someone taken before??" I mean...yes, and the Warriors have done that time and time again. They took Draymond who was better than 25 guys taken ahead of him. Poole, as much as people rag on him, turned out to be way better than the 28th pick. Even Moody will end up objectively better than several players taken ahead of him in the Lottery. As true as these statements are, I'm sure you will not be able to bring yourself to admit their veracity. Instead you will just continue to bitch and moan for no good reason. :noway:

"Acknowledge the correctness of my argument?"

No you chose to ignore that someone drafted in the late teens could be better than players drafted before him, to support that contention that there will always be or very often players chosen later who will be better.

Maybe not as common as players chosen after these picks turning out to be better. I don't know either way.

But this isn't about the general nature of the NBA draft or players chosen in the bottom half of the first round.

It's about this specific player who had one good season at a mid level program, bypassing more physically gifted players who performed for top programs, against the best Div 1 competition.

I will be ecstatic if I'm proven wrong and Podz becomes a good rotation player within his rookie contract, just setting aside the question of whether the Warriors passed up players who will become better than him.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#225 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:08 pm

wco81 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
wco81 wrote:Another no substance post.

Keep going with the emojis to hide inability to elaborate an argument.

Unfortunately you don't seem to follow the argument. For example, I clearly explained the reason why you will almost always be disappointed that someone better is taken *somewhere* after our pick (highly probable someone taken after Podz will be better than Podz). But instead of acknowledging the correctness of my argument, you simply change the bar and argue "Well, did you even consider that our pick should be better than someone taken before??" I mean...yes, and the Warriors have done that time and time again. They took Draymond who was better than 25 guys taken ahead of him. Poole, as much as people rag on him, turned out to be way better than the 28th pick. Even Moody will end up objectively better than several players taken ahead of him in the Lottery. As true as these statements are, I'm sure you will not be able to bring yourself to admit their veracity. Instead you will just continue to bitch and moan for no good reason. :noway:

No you chose to ignore that someone drafted in the late teens could be better than players drafted before him, to support that contention that there will always be or very often players chosen later who will be better.

I didn't "ignore" anything. I refuted your original argument which was that someone taken AFTER the Warriors pick always turns out to be better. That's literally what you said. Then in the next post you changed the bar and started making this different argument. And then I responded to that because you were incorrect yet again. Do you really want me to go back and quote you on this?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#226 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:11 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Why do people think “Poole’s role” will be replaced?

They had Poole. They didn’t like Poole. His role is in Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

His role was the third guard who started at both guard spots when needed and was the first guard off the bench when he didn't. Pretty sure they are going to need one of those unless Steph and Klay can stay healthy and play all 82.

Maybe is wasn't the roll but the player they didn't like.

"Third guard" isn't really a role unless you tell me what that player specifically is brought into the game to accomplish. In Poole's case his "role" was apparently to be a volume chucker that didn't really help anyone except himself and couldn't defend. If that's the role I hope it's gone forever.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#227 » by Onus » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Why do people think “Poole’s role” will be replaced?

They had Poole. They didn’t like Poole. His role is in Washington.

His role was the third guard who started at both guard spots when needed and was the first guard off the bench when he didn't. Pretty sure they are going to need one of those unless Steph and Klay can stay healthy and play all 82.

"Third guard" isn't really a role unless you tell me what that player specifically is brought into the game to accomplish. In Poole's case his "role" was apparently to be a volume chucker that didn't really help anyone except himself and couldn't defend. If that's the role I hope it's gone forever.

I'm sure contending teams are creating specific roles to sabotage themselves, rather than a player going rogue and playing selfishly.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#228 » by watch1958 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:18 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I'm sure contending teams are creating specific roles to sabotage themselves, rather than a player going rogue and playing selfishly.
All moot. There’s a super secret plan to trade him in August for Trey Murphy 3
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
wco81
RealGM

Post#229 » by wco81 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:06 pm

EvanZ wrote:
wco81 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I didn't "ignore" anything. I refuted your original argument which was that someone taken AFTER the Warriors pick always turns out to be better. That's literally what you said. Then in the next post you changed the bar and started making this different argument. And then I responded to that because you were incorrect yet again. Do you really want me to go back and quote you on this?

You didn't refute dick.

All you did was make an unsupported assertion, which is not unusual for you.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#230 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:46 pm

wco81 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
wco81 wrote:

You didn't refute dick.

All you did was make an unsupported assertion, which is not unusual for you.

Sorry what’s the “unsupported assertion” you’re referring to? This is like the third time you’re changing your argument lol

wco81
RealGM

Post#231 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:48 am

Getting very little playing time.

When he's in, they're not getting him any shot attempts, especially from 3.

He needs to bring a couple of things when he gets minutes but what would they be?

Maybe he should be spending a lot more time in Santa Cruz to get consistent minutes?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,852

Post#232 » by gswhoops » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:25 am

TJD looks much more NBA ready and has a clearer path to minutes given the lack of bigs on the roster.

I would hope that Podz spends most of the year in SC
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,922

Post#233 » by cdubbz » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:01 am

gswhoops wrote:TJD looks much more NBA ready and has a clearer path to minutes given the lack of bigs on the roster.

Highly disagree. Nothing Podz will learn in the G-league thats more valuable than learning from Curry, CP3, Klay, & Green. He is no dummy. Podz wont get too much run with how clogged the guard position is, but once Curry, Klay, CP3 start resting we will need him to play some minutes.

I don't think Podz will gain much from the g-league runs other than dominating. Yes send him down every once in a while to play 30+ mpg and then call him back up. But he shouldn't miss any games for the Warriors
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#234 » by Onus » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:50 am

gswhoops wrote:TJD looks much more NBA ready and has a clearer path to minutes given the lack of bigs on the roster.

Podz has already jumped cojo in the rotation. Do you expect him to take cp3 or gp2 spot?

Tjd better be ready he’s 24.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#235 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:44 pm

cdubbz wrote:

Highly disagree. Nothing Podz will learn in the G-league thats more valuable than learning from Curry, CP3, Klay, & Green. He is no dummy. Podz wont get too much run with how clogged the guard position is, but once Curry, Klay, CP3 start resting we will need him to play some minutes.

I don't think Podz will gain much from the g-league runs other than dominating. Yes send him down every once in a while to play 30+ mpg and then call him back up. But he shouldn't miss any games for the Warriors

There is definitely something Podz can gain by going to the GL. He needs to get confidence in his 3pt shot back. He can't do that in limited minutes and limited attempts with the NBA team. But he can jack up 3s in the GL. Long term he absolutely needs to get that shot going.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,922

Post#236 » by cdubbz » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

There is definitely something Podz can gain by going to the GL. He needs to get confidence in his 3pt shot back. He can't do that in limited minutes and limited attempts with the NBA team. But he can jack up 3s in the GL. Long term he absolutely needs to get that shot going.

I'm all for that, but imo not for most of the year. 2-3 games straight here and there where the game plan is to get Podz a good number of FGA and 30+ minutes. I think being day to day with the vets is just as valuable for learning the ins and outs of everything in the NBA. If Kerr absolutely can't find minutes for Podz and Moody, Wiggins etc is playing terrific than sure send Podz down for longer period.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#237 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:48 pm

He should already be getting 10 mpg with the big club, there’s plenty of minutes to go around.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,093

Post#238 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:25 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:He should already be getting 10 mpg with the big club, there’s plenty of minutes to go around.

Rotation is already 10 deep
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#239 » by EvanZ » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:19 pm

Awesome GL game last night for both Podz and TJD

GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#240 » by GunnerWRX » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:41 pm

Surprised that Garuba is this irrelevant. Glad TJD is a pleasant surprise.

Return to Golden State Warriors