GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Re: With the 19th pick, Warriors select Brandin Podziemski 

Post#281 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:20 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Even if Podz carves out a role - which he absolutely should - I'd still like CP3 on the roster for a ton of reasons, including slowing the game down. Rookies will invariably get too excited and have peaks and valleys, CP3 can be the steady hand. Its not going to be Curry or Dray doing it, that's for sure

Podz can play with cp3 because he's small, yet doesnt play small. He's alot like gp2 in that regard.

The problem with our smallball recently is that when we went small with steph, klay, and cp3 or poole is that none of the above could defend much less play big.

Podz can do it for stretches, I loved him battling KL.

He's like one of those dogs who has no idea what his size actually is

I loved watching him standing on his tippy toes going chest to chest with KD a few games back. And KD was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He can't help but liking little scrappers like Podz.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#282 » by Chupchup » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:40 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
Onus wrote:Podz is making it more and more likely we don’t need cp3 slowing things down.

The team needs both Podz AND CP3 in order to play optimally.

Let's hope that Kerr can figure out how to create rotations based upon merit and performance.

The only other players that can pass, dribble, and shoot. When ppl double Steph like that, we may need to play Podz with CP3 being out.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#283 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:42 pm

Podz actually isn't that small. Short wingspan makes him seem smaller, but he's literally 6'3.75" barefoot (only 1/2" shorter than Ty Jerome) which "in the old days" meant he'd be listed at 6'5". He also weighed 204 pounds lean (has a significant bicep vein which is fairly rare among white players) at the combine. Ty Jerome weighed 194. I don't remember people always talking about Ty Jerome being that small. In fact he was seen as a big point guard. In fact Podz' wingspan is 6'5.5" compared to Jerome's 6'4". So Podz is barely shorter, has a longer wingspan, and has probably around 10 pounds of muscle on Ty.

And yet people are constantly calling him "small". Make it make sense. It really doesn't to me. It's not shocking that he's a good rebounder. In fact he's essentially the same size as Jason Kidd, who was another tremendous guard rebounder.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,832

Post#284 » by floppymoose » Fri Dec 1, 2023 9:28 pm

Ty Jerome played small. I’m not sure who thought otherwise?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#285 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Dec 1, 2023 10:47 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Podz can play with cp3 because he's small, yet doesnt play small. He's alot like gp2 in that regard.

The problem with our smallball recently is that when we went small with steph, klay, and cp3 or poole is that none of the above could defend much less play big.

Podz can do it for stretches, I loved him battling KL.

He's like one of those dogs who has no idea what his size actually is

I loved watching him standing on his tippy toes going chest to chest with KD a few games back. And KD was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He can't help but liking little scrappers like Podz.

Guys like him, GP2, even Moody to a degree (and surprisingly, CoJo).. gotta love that they don't care how big the person they match up with is. They just have no idea they aren't 7' tall..
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#286 » by xdrta+ » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:58 pm

floppymoose wrote:Ty Jerome played small. I’m not sure who thought otherwise?

That's what matters, how they play. After all, GP2 is listed at 6'2", yet he's seldom referred to as small.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 792

Post#287 » by Old_Blue » Sat Dec 2, 2023 12:36 am

CDM_Stats wrote:He's like one of those dogs who has no idea what his size actually is

Which is why I am offering up the nickname Jack Russell. Brandin is a dumb name. Podziemski has too many vowels. He has no business being attached to either of these names. Hereby, he should simply be known as Jack Russell. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#288 » by EvanZ » Sat Dec 2, 2023 2:30 am

floppymoose wrote:Ty Jerome played small. I’m not sure who thought otherwise?

Uh…Kerr? And very publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#289 » by EvanZ » Sat Dec 2, 2023 2:31 am

Fact is Podz simply isn’t that small. I honestly don’t know how you guys watch games and think he’s so small. It’s very weird.

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#290 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Dec 2, 2023 3:17 am

EvanZ wrote:Fact is Podz simply isn’t that small. I honestly don’t know how you guys watch games and think he’s so small. It’s very weird.

You're weird.

Forum discussions are like a competition to you. You're all like: "me, me, me", "I said, I said, I said" and "you guys said, you guys think, blah blah blah"

Is there some "I'm Always Right" forum poster award you're trying for that I'm not aware of?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#291 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 8:31 am

EvanZ wrote:Podz actually isn't that small. Short wingspan makes him seem smaller, but he's literally 6'3.75" barefoot (only 1/2" shorter than Ty Jerome) which "in the old days" meant he'd be listed at 6'5". He also weighed 204 pounds lean (has a significant bicep vein which is fairly rare among white players) at the combine. Ty Jerome weighed 194. I don't remember people always talking about Ty Jerome being that small. In fact he was seen as a big point guard. In fact Podz' wingspan is 6'5.5" compared to Jerome's 6'4". So Podz is barely shorter, has a longer wingspan, and has probably around 10 pounds of muscle on Ty.

And yet people are constantly calling him "small". Make it make sense. It really doesn't to me. It's not shocking that he's a good rebounder. In fact he's essentially the same size as Jason Kidd, who was another tremendous guard rebounder.

I felt like Ty Jerome was 5'11" with a 23" vert. Podz looks like a legit 2 guard out there.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#292 » by EvanZ » Sat Dec 2, 2023 1:24 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Fact is Podz simply isn’t that small. I honestly don’t know how you guys watch games and think he’s so small. It’s very weird.

You're weird.

Forum discussions are like a competition to you. You're all like: "me, me, me", "I said, I said, I said" and "you guys said, you guys think, blah blah blah"

Is there some "I'm Always Right" forum poster award you're trying for that I'm not aware of?

This coming from the #1 Moses Moody hater…

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#293 » by Onus » Sat Dec 2, 2023 1:56 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:Podz is making it more and more likely we don’t need cp3 slowing things down.

Even if Podz carves out a role - which he absolutely should - I'd still like CP3 on the roster for a ton of reasons, including slowing the game down. Rookies will invariably get too excited and have peaks and valleys, CP3 can be the steady hand. Its not going to be Curry or Dray doing it, that's for sure

Yea cp3 is steady but he basically can only run pick and roll with Saric.

And really we all know Kerr is going to play the cp3/curry/Klay lineup all year to our detriment. Effectively forcing curry to be our poa while carrying the offense.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,565

Post#294 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 2:21 pm

Podz has a nose for the ball, play within his strenghts, is a great shooter with awesome range, can defend bigger guys, has a good sense of positioning on defense, and can pass a little.

He's one of these guys that when you see them play at the rec leagues, people just nod and say "this guy knows how to play". That was easily noticeable even when he was in college, you watch a 10 min highlight video of him and it's all there.

What I'd like to see from him in terms of improvement, though, is being a more dynamic player; better dribbling into tight spaces, more advanced court vision, more creative ballhandling... all these things can easily be improved with training and experience.

I don't know if he can be an above average starter in this league, but he's already a rotation player as a rookie. That's as good as we can get with a 19th pick.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#295 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:07 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Podz actually isn't that small. Short wingspan makes him seem smaller, but he's literally 6'3.75" barefoot (only 1/2" shorter than Ty Jerome) which "in the old days" meant he'd be listed at 6'5". He also weighed 204 pounds lean (has a significant bicep vein which is fairly rare among white players) at the combine. Ty Jerome weighed 194. I don't remember people always talking about Ty Jerome being that small. In fact he was seen as a big point guard. In fact Podz' wingspan is 6'5.5" compared to Jerome's 6'4". So Podz is barely shorter, has a longer wingspan, and has probably around 10 pounds of muscle on Ty.

I felt like Ty Jerome was 5'11" with a 23" vert. Podz looks like a legit 2 guard out there.

One thing Jerome did was score a lot out there.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#296 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Dec 2, 2023 6:08 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

And really we all know Kerr is going to play the cp3/curry/Klay lineup all year to our detriment. Effectively forcing curry to be our poa while carrying the offense.

He's been very effective with the ball in his hands even outside of Saric.. the problem, as you pointed out, is him/Curry/Klay. That's now THREE guards that you have to hide on defense, a horrible rebounding trio.. they need to be extremely efficient offensively to make up for it and they simply arent, because CP3 does not enhance guys like Curry/Klay any more than someone like Dray already did
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#297 » by jozef » Sat Dec 2, 2023 9:57 pm

In future he could be a starter at PG and/or backup at SG.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,428

Post#298 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Dec 3, 2023 9:36 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

He's been very effective with the ball in his hands even outside of Saric.. the problem, as you pointed out, is him/Curry/Klay. That's now THREE guards that you have to hide on defense, a horrible rebounding trio.. they need to be extremely efficient offensively to make up for it and they simply arent, because CP3 does not enhance guys like Curry/Klay any more than someone like Dray already did

Klay needs to be benched. Period. If Kerr insists on three guards they better be rugged defenders.
Curry, Podz, Moody, Wiggins, Draymond.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#299 » by Sandy333 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:36 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:Yea cp3 is steady but he basically can only run pick and roll with Saric.

Klay needs to be benched. Period. If Kerr insists on three guards they better be rugged defenders.
Curry, Podz, Moody, Wiggins, Draymond.

This is one of our better lineups
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#300 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:49 pm

Man if Podz was just 2-3 inches taller, with at least a 6-9 wingspan ...

Then again he probably wouldn't have lasted until #19.

Like to see him get some catch and shoot 3PAs. It seems like many of this 3PAs are off the dribble but he's only attempting 2.3 a game.

Return to Golden State Warriors