Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Re: DC Jordan Poole hate 

Post#181 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:45 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Funny thing is, Warriors used to be where you could take someone who wasnt very good, prop them up by putting them in an ideal role and plugging it into the system. We got solid to great years out of guys like Barbosa, Livingston, Speights, Looney, Zaza, Poole, OPJ.. but since Mike Malone, Alvin Gentry, and now Mike Brown left, its starting to trend the other way, or at least to neutral. Poole went from a great 6th man to worst player in one offseason and it continues. DDV is doing much better in NY than here. Wiggins was given a worse defensive role and he and the rest of the defense crumbled

Until we can prove otherwise, we're looking like any other team, just fumbling around and hoping to find a hidden gem. And thats not what the team was 2 years ago and beyond

Barbosa, Livingston, Speights, Zaza, and OPJ were legit, mature NBA things before they got here. Most of what's being plugged in now is young and homegrown... JK,GP, Podz, Q, Loon, TJD.

IDK if that's a change in GM'ing philosophy or salary cap driven, but I'm guessing the it's the latter. We had Steph, Klay, and Dray at deep discounts for a chunk of their prime, and it helped bring in the kind of solid vets we can't afford now.

David West was sort of the replacement for Speights. 2017 Warriors lead the NBA in shot blocking and old West having his best per minute shot blocking year was part of that.

I loved JaVale directing off the mark lob passes into the basket with one hand. I use playoff 2017 JaVale as my argument against the Winshares per per 48 stat. JaVale was good, better than Zaza but Winshares per 48 says JaVale was a superstar all time great better than Shaq Curry and Durant. JaVale scored at a very very very efficient rate at fairly high volumes and was rebounding and blocking shots. Opposing game plans were leaving Javale too open to deal with Steph, Durant and Klay. Javale was hurting defenses worse than KDand Curry were from an efficiency stand point but that was because defenses were making a wrong choices to take their chances with JaVale beating them.
Aside from Livingston, each of those was a minimum contract.. it does cost a bit more than young minimums, but it’s not something out of reach. Seems more like a choice

Edit: Zaza may have been a bi-annual exception, which was like half of the MLE
billinder33
Junior
And1: 86

Post#182 » by billinder33 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:01 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Funny thing is, Warriors used to be where you could take someone who wasnt very good, prop them up by putting them in an ideal role and plugging it into the system. We got solid to great years out of guys like Barbosa, Livingston, Speights, Looney, Zaza, Poole, OPJ.. but since Mike Malone, Alvin Gentry, and now Mike Brown left, its starting to trend the other way, or at least to neutral. Poole went from a great 6th man to worst player in one offseason and it continues. DDV is doing much better in NY than here. Wiggins was given a worse defensive role and he and the rest of the defense crumbled

Until we can prove otherwise, we're looking like any other team, just fumbling around and hoping to find a hidden gem. And thats not what the team was 2 years ago and beyond

Barbosa, Livingston, Speights, Zaza, and OPJ were legit, mature NBA things before they got here. Most of what's being plugged in now is young and homegrown... JK,GP, Podz, Q, Loon, TJD.

IDK if that's a change in GM'ing philosophy or salary cap driven, but I'm guessing the it's the latter. We had Steph, Klay, and Dray at deep discounts for a chunk of their prime, and it helped bring in the kind of solid vets we can't afford now.

Aside from Livingston, each of those was a minimum contract.. it does cost a bit more than young minimums, but it’s not something out of reach. Seems more like a choice

There's probably some element of cost just given the cap situation of late, but it also wouldn't surprise me if certain vets are wary of coming to GS after what's happened between Dray and Durant, and Dray and Poole.

If you're a quality vet with multiple destination options, do you really want to risk being humiliated in front of your home crowd by a raging lunatic, or worse yet, have your face smashed in? I'm not sure this place is the free agent destination it once was, and I'm guessing some of it points directly to one specific individual.

I know a lot of vets have come and gone here over the years without issues, but that has to weigh in the minds of many players who are on the move. I can tell you if I was in that position, it would definitely be a consideration. Maybe not the primary consideration, but it would be a factor.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 792

Post#183 » by Old_Blue » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:32 pm

billinder33 wrote:There's probably some element of cost just given the cap situation of late, but it also wouldn't surprise me if certain vets are wary of coming to GS after what's happened between Dray and Durant, and Dray and Poole.

If you're a quality vet with multiple destination options, do you really want to risk being humiliated in front of your home crowd by a raging lunatic, or worse yet, have your face smashed in? I'm not sure this place is the free agent destination it once was, and I'm guessing some of it points directly to one specific individual.

You don't find some irony in suggesting - in a thread dedicated to hating on a former Warrior - that players around the League might be "wary of coming to GS" based on how they might be treated by Draymond? :D

GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
billinder33
Junior

Post#184 » by billinder33 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:13 am

Old_Blue wrote:
billinder33 wrote:There's probably some element of cost just given the cap situation of late, but it also wouldn't surprise me if certain vets are wary of coming to GS after what's happened between Dray and Durant, and Dray and Poole.

You don't find some irony in suggesting - in a thread dedicated to hating on a former Warrior - that players around the League might be "wary of coming to GS" based on how they might be treated by Draymond? :D

loosely, I guess? These threads all meld together after a while
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,054

Post#185 » by Jester_ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:33 am

billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

There's probably some element of cost just given the cap situation of late, but it also wouldn't surprise me if certain vets are wary of coming to GS after what's happened between Dray and Durant, and Dray and Poole.

I know a lot of vets have come and gone here over the years without issues, but that has to weigh in the minds of many players who are on the move. I can tell you if I was in that position, it would definitely be a consideration. Maybe not the primary consideration, but it would be a factor.

Some of y'all are ridiculous lol you're acting like Dray is a serial killer

Only someone softer than baby booty is scared of coming here because Draymond might be mean to them
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
billinder33
Junior

Post#186 » by billinder33 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:12 am

Jester_ wrote:
billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Some of y'all are ridiculous lol you're acting like Dray is a serial killer

Only someone softer than baby booty is scared of coming here because Draymond might be mean to them

Where did I say anyone was scared to come here because of Dray? I know this is a tall ask for RGM, but maybe try not strawmanning the conversation.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#187 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:20 am

billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

A bigger trend is the lack of quality veterans. The league is trending towards running and gunning more, so guys who can't keep up anymore are falling off earlier. The ones that dont are getting a comfortable amount more than the league minimum - the difference between the minimum and the lowest exception now is waaaay higher than it was in the old times

I also dont think Draymond is as big a factor. Poole annoyed WSH teammates inside of a month and KD's notoriously soft. But once they had KD, it was as close to a guaranteed ring as anyone could get, so of course people will line up. But how many league min signings this year were as good as David West? Saric hasnt been great but there hasnt been many players who are on a league min contract and being good anymore.. another aspect of that is that quality analytics has made it harder to be a 'hidden gem'

But that's all peripherally related to the point... the point was that the team used to be able to elevate guys who were widely seen as disposable, and make them better than they actually were. They aren't able to do that as much anymore, and its fair to wonder why. For all the minimum guys we were hoping to get this offseason, who'd we really miss out on? One of the more popular choices, Yuta Watanabe, was traded as salary filler to the Grizzlies to get David Roddy and Royce O Neale.. who else?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#188 » by Onus » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:26 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

A bigger trend is the lack of quality veterans. The league is trending towards running and gunning more, so guys who can't keep up anymore are falling off earlier. The ones that dont are getting a comfortable amount more than the league minimum - the difference between the minimum and the lowest exception now is waaaay higher than it was in the old times

I also dont think Draymond is as big a factor. Poole annoyed WSH teammates inside of a month and KD's notoriously soft. But once they had KD, it was as close to a guaranteed ring as anyone could get, so of course people will line up. But how many league min signings this year were as good as David West? Saric hasnt been great but there hasnt been many players who are on a league min contract and being good anymore.. another aspect of that is that quality analytics has made it harder to be a 'hidden gem'

But that's all peripherally related to the point... the point was that the team used to be able to elevate guys who were widely seen as disposable, and make them better than they actually were. They aren't able to do that as much anymore, and its fair to wonder why. For all the minimum guys we were hoping to get this offseason, who'd we really miss out on? One of the more popular choices, Yuta Watanabe, was traded as salary filler to the Grizzlies to get David Roddy and Royce O Neale.. who else?

I think that’s been a bigger issue really. There just aren’t as many good vet min signings and more teams are vying for them with bigger roles.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#189 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:21 am