ImageImageImageImageImage

What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#181 » by docholliday99 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:06 pm

Just have to ask, what IS wrong with Wiggins? This isn't a troll post by any means. I'm a Canadian that follows Canadians and was initially disappointed in his play when he came into the league, but going to GS really saved his career - not to mention he was definitely GS 2nd best player behind Curry when they won in '22. Now, yikes. I don't recall any reported major injury last season. He started off 2022/23 with a bang, helped set a record with Klay/Steph for most made 3's in a game and looked fantastic. Then in January '23, he snubbed team Canada (his choice - no worries but he was quite involved prior), then he left GS in mid February to attend to family matters, was away for a couple of months and has not looked the same at all since his return. He has some brief moments but overall, his head is on another planet and has been for almost a year; his last 5 games are horrendous.
With his new contract and how he's been, I think it would be hard to convince other teams that a trade for a change of scenery is all he needs....is it all he needs? You guys know more about him. As a Raptors fan, I wouldn't want him in this state, as a person, he kinda has me a little worried for him.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#182 » by sonnyhill » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:22 pm

docholliday99 wrote:Just have to ask, what IS wrong with Wiggins? This isn't a troll post by any means. I'm a Canadian that follows Canadians and was initially disappointed in his play when he came into the league, but going to GS really saved his career - not to mention he was definitely GS 2nd best player behind Curry when they won in '22. Now, yikes. I don't recall any reported major injury last season. He started off 2022/23 with a bang, helped set a record with Klay/Steph for most made 3's in a game and looked fantastic. Then in January '23, he snubbed team Canada (his choice - no worries but he was quite involved prior), then he left GS in mid February to attend to family matters, was away for a couple of months and has not looked the same at all since his return. He has some brief moments but overall, his head is on another planet and has been for almost a year; his last 5 games are horrendous.
With his new contract and how he's been, I think it would be hard to convince other teams that a trade for a change of scenery is all he needs....is it all he needs? You guys know more about him. As a Raptors fan, I wouldn't want him in this state, as a person, he kinda has me a little worried for him.

Lots of speculative answers on why Wiggins's play has dropped so dramatically.

He started out last season looking great, took time out for a family situation, came back and looked pretty good during the playoffs before getting injured.

Sadly, his current game reminds me of the Cuba Gooding Jr. character "Radio."
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,580

Post#183 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:55 pm

docholliday99 wrote:Just have to ask, what IS wrong with Wiggins? This isn't a troll post by any means. I'm a Canadian that follows Canadians and was initially disappointed in his play when he came into the league, but going to GS really saved his career - not to mention he was definitely GS 2nd best player behind Curry when they won in '22. Now, yikes. I don't recall any reported major injury last season. He started off 2022/23 with a bang, helped set a record with Klay/Steph for most made 3's in a game and looked fantastic. Then in January '23, he snubbed team Canada (his choice - no worries but he was quite involved prior), then he left GS in mid February to attend to family matters, was away for a couple of months and has not looked the same at all since his return. He has some brief moments but overall, his head is on another planet and has been for almost a year; his last 5 games are horrendous.

As far as I know, he had a rib fracture during last season's playoffs, versus the Lakers. Then he couldn't train in the offseason to let the injury heal. This lack of training led into bad conditioning, which carried over to this season... though by now, as we are in January, he should already be good to go, conditioning-wise.

There might be something else behind the scenes too, as the other posts have said. But I'm not quite sure what happened then.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#184 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:50 pm

watch1958 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Yeah, it's becoming more noticeable. He's not jumping with any kind of force. He wont even attempt a dunk in traffic. It's like he's afraid to get hurt if he extends himself. Imo, it's all in his head. It was probably the biggest injury in his career to date.

I doubt celebrini would let him play if there was something physical with him.

If he’s not 90 percent, let him sit until All Star Break. No point in playing while in pain. Let Moody play in his place.
It's like he needs his own personal mini off season, followed by an individual training camp. Hit the reset button.

I wasn’t even in favor of bringing back GP2 so early in the season. I dealt with shoulder injury from playing tennis and the only way to recover is rest. Moody is waiting for opportunity to play, so why not rest Wiggs, GP2, and CP3 until a month before the end of the season. Otherwise you have other parts breaking down. I didn’t like this team because it was old, it’s better to be conservative in the recovery process and play the younger players. If they can’t make the playoffs then the roster construction wasn’t planned well enough.
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#185 » by docholliday99 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:35 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:

As far as I know, he had a rib fracture during last season's playoffs, versus the Lakers. Then he couldn't train in the offseason to let the injury heal. This lack of training led into bad conditioning, which carried over to this season... though by now, as we are in January, he should already be good to go, conditioning-wise.

There might be something else behind the scenes too, as the other posts have said. But I'm not quite sure what happened then.

That's a long time for a rib fracture to heal. Seems odd that they cleared him - that's why I'm a bit confused if there was another injury and he's now in "trade rumors". The way he was playing in '22 and right in the middle of his prime, just seems odd. A coworker asked if he's just done trying, now that he has his chip and a new contract - seemed odd to me so I had to ask the people that would know more than anyone else.

Hope they get it sorted, I'm a closet Warriors fan, well Curry mainly and I have a lot of respect for Dray despite the last bit of shenanigan's, so I'm kind rooting they go out on top of the heap and not the way they've been trending.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#186 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:44 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:

He may be fit CV-wise.

But he lost weight during his time off and didn't take the offseason to weight-train, apparently.

That is why people say he's not explosive.

Nor playing with force, like he would Euro Step into defenders and get easy layups before he took off.

Or on posts, he's not pushing defenders, especially smaller defenders, to get easy 3-foot hooks. They're able to keep him further away from the basket and make him take longer, more difficult shots.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,580

Post#187 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:40 am

docholliday99 wrote:That's a long time for a rib fracture to heal. Seems odd that they cleared him - that's why I'm a bit confused if there was another injury and he's now in "trade rumors". The way he was playing in '22 and right in the middle of his prime, just seems odd. A coworker asked if he's just done trying, now that he has his chip and a new contract - seemed odd to me so I had to ask the people that would know more than anyone else.

Hope they get it sorted, I'm a closet Warriors fan, well Curry mainly and I have a lot of respect for Dray despite the last bit of shenanigan's, so I'm kind rooting they go out on top of the heap and not the way they've been trending.

You're right in everything you said.

Another angle that we can say could have happened, is related to Wiggins' motivation. Sometimes he gives 100%, oftentimes he coasts.

He was like that in Minnesota, see Jimmy Butler's comments about him (and KAT) when he was on his way out. That's why I was cautious when we got Wiggins in a trade. He helped us get a title, so it's all good. But, it seems like he reverted to his old ways.

Throughout NBA's history, there were dozens of players who struggled to give full effort. Derrick Coleman, for example. My point is, if a player has this kind of personality trait, it's very hard for him to turn the switch forever, it always keeps going on and off, and most of the time it's turned off.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#188 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:57 am

System player playing without a system right now

If you need him to improvise, it will look bad. On either side of the ball. If you put him into a set system, like we did when Mike Brown was here, he can be very good. But everything is going to be based off defense, and on offense he should be limited, though he can be a tough shot maker if the SC is winding down

Struggling now because after thriving playing off Steph/Dray, he's more often in halfcourt sets, formerly with CP3, which is the exact kind of offense he was in Minnesota. And his efficiency numbers are near parallel.

If a team has a set offense where he can be the 3rd/4th option, and plays him against actual wings instead making him the POA defender (along with a already capable defense), he can really help. Great buy low opportunity really for any team that has that setup.

Think he'd do well on teams like Dallas (once Kyrie returns), LAC, OKC.. woulda said Toronto before the OG trade, but RJ Barrett is a younger, better version, so no need there. But he's a niche fit, and for some reason the Warriors coaching staff has decided to go away from that strategy. And its going just **** super
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,243

Post#189 » by monopoman » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:52 am

Wiggins seems like the text book guy that will bust his ass the year or two before he has a contract due but outside that he just coasts and doesn't give a ****.

You can tell he has relied heavily on his hype early on and then his "resurrected" career early on at GSW every other time he has been a guy that makes no positive impact on winning. There are some that use the NBA purely for a paycheck and yes this even extends to some of those that might have had superstar potential with more work ethic.

Watch him look far more effective and care a lot more his last year of that contract on that player option he will definitely pick up.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#190 » by Onus » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:04 pm

At least Kerr has noticed that Wiggins has played better recently in his last presser. Just hasn't been in a good spot. But individually he's been fine.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#191 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:40 pm

Wiggins was enthusiastic when he played well.

I heard no substantiated injury rumor with a body part mentioned. Playing in pain could ruin your enthusiasm bur I don’t think he is playing well n pain.

I think he lost interest in basketball.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#192 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:12 pm

Was just watching the extended highlights of game 6 of the 2022 finals and he was an absolute beast. Locking down JT, knocking down clutch 3 after clutch 3. It's depressing watching him now. Wtf happened.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#193 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 pm

They're going to have to coddle him, try to get him to train hard in the offseason, maybe get a shooting coach to work on a new shot, to rebuild it.

His trade value is low right now.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#194 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:47 am

He looks weak, maybe 190 lbs (since his playing weight is listed about 198).

I dont think he's injured, but I dont think his body regained any of the muscle he lost during recovery. And I doubt players can gain muscle during the season.

But after an injury, illness, or any prolonged period of inactivity, muscle loss can occur faster, leading to muscle atrophy. The consequences are greater weakness, poor balance, and even frailty.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/dont-let-muscle-mass-go-to-waste#:~:text=But%20after%20an%20injury%2C%20illness,poor%20balance%2C%20and%20even%20frailty.

Sounds alot like wiggins.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,710

Post#195 » by Warriorfan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:10 pm

He is in his prime and has the ability to turn it around
outplay his contract just not this year
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#196 » by DoubleLintendre » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm

Where there's hope, there's trade value...
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#197 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:10 pm

Wiggins is not back to 2022 Wiggins but Wiggins is getting better and is better than he was in earlier months this year.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#198 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:00 am

Isn't Wiggins pour play a failure of Kerr and owership as well?

I have got to think that so much of this is related to the team's general circumstances. Taking a very talented dude (see link below) and dump him at his lowest point in his entire career sucks. I still think it's related to broader team chemistry - Draymond specifically and the trade of Poole.

[url][/url]
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#199 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:52 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Isn't Wiggins pour play a failure of Kerr and owership as well?

I have got to think that so much of this is related to the team's general circumstances. Taking a very talented dude (see link below) and dump him at his lowest point in his entire career sucks. I still think it's related to broader team chemistry - Draymond specifically and the trade of Poole.

[url][/url]

I dont think he had any issue with chemistry.

I think him not playing or getting in shape in the offseason for him of to a slow start and it snowballed. And then coming in underweight and with muscle atrophy while having to play pf made it look worse.

Like it was mentioned, wiggs, loon, and dray are cogs of a system. When you choose not to play within the system with 0 accountability, u get the current warriors.

The last 3 games, he's been playing strictly sf and has been better. Against the bucks, we abandoned the system again without steph and went iso ball, so he struggled finding his offense again.

Trade him if u think this is who wiggins is (first 20 game version), but if u think it's a bad start due to circumstances, you ride it out.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#200 » by sonnyhill » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:38 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Isn't Wiggins pour play a failure of Kerr and owership as well?

[url][/url]

I dont think he had any issue with chemistry.

I think him not playing or getting in shape in the offseason for him of to a slow start and it snowballed. And then coming in underweight and with muscle atrophy while having to play pf made it look worse.

Like it was mentioned, wiggs, loon, and dray are cogs of a system. When you choose not to play within the system with 0 accountability, u get the current warriors.

The last 3 games, he's been playing strictly sf and has been better. Against the bucks, we abandoned the system again without steph and went iso ball, so he struggled finding his offense again.

Trade him if u think this is who wiggins is (first 20 game version), but if u think it's a bad start due to circumstances, you ride it out.

Very balanced post, Crazy-Canuck.

Kerr also wears down Wiggins (and Kuminga, too) on defense, in order to cover up Curry's inability to guard anyone and Thompson's limited lateral movement (hence, we see Thompson "assigned" to guard forwards and centers).

A "fresh" Wiggins should be an effective on offense as a slashing, driving, and posting-up small forward.

Return to Golden State Warriors