ImageImageImageImageImage

It's TIME! 24 Draft

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 262

Re: It's TIME! 24 Draft 

Post#121 » by ShayDee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:03 pm

Watched a ton of Marquette games this year, mostly because I was looking at film of Kam Jones and Kolek(was injured towards the end of the year) and I wasn't really paying much attention to Oso but he was involved in alot of plays you can't just ignore him. He is a good player with very good metrics I'm not denying that.

This team just needs different types of players. TJD and Podz lead the team in plus minus, played alot of minutes and contributed to winning but there were many combinations of players on the floor that just didn't work as well. Moody is also a good player, played well some times but could not find consistent minutes, I wouldn't say because of his ability, Kerr just did not prefer him for some reason that Lester was playing over him

Next year if no trade is made you have Steph, Dray, Pod, Loon, GP2, Mood, Kuminga, TJD, Wiggins, Gui. Playing 2 non shooters at the same time is almost suicide in todays NBA. Looking at this group you will most certainly be playing 2 and you will have to fill the rest of the roster with players that just offer more

Anyways when I was looking at prospects some months ago happen to stumble upon Jonathan Mogbo, similar archetype to all these undersized non shooting 5s but he had a breakout year with really good advanced metrics, very good rebounder and excellent passer, good defender and can handle the ball

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,363

Post#122 » by Onus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:59 pm

ShayDee wrote:Watched a ton of Marquette games this year, mostly because I was looking at film of Kam Jones and Kolek(was injured towards the end of the year) and I wasn't really paying much attention to Oso but he was involved in alot of plays you can't just ignore him. He is a good player with very good metrics I'm not denying that.

This team just needs different types of players. TJD and Podz lead the team in plus minus, played alot of minutes and contributed to winning but there were many combinations of players on the floor that just didn't work as well. Moody is also a good player, played well some times but could not find consistent minutes, I wouldn't say because of his ability, Kerr just did not prefer him for some reason that Lester was playing over him

Next year if no trade is made you have Steph, Dray, Pod, Loon, GP2, Mood, Kuminga, TJD, Wiggins, Gui. Playing 2 non shooters at the same time is almost suicide in todays NBA. Looking at this group you will most certainly be playing 2 and you will have to fill the rest of the roster with players that just offer more

Anyways when I was looking at prospects some months ago happen to stumble upon Jonathan Mogbo, similar archetype to all these undersized non shooting 5s but he had a breakout year with really good advanced metrics, very good rebounder and excellent passer, good defender and can handle the ball

Mogbo is very interesting but like you noted we need shooting desperately. The fact he didn't attempt any kind of took me away from him altogether in our situation.

Another interesting player is Anton Watson. This stats guy has him rated as a top 10 indispensable player in college. https://evanmiya.com/?homepage

He has quick hands, gets a ton of deflections as well as steals. Has good touch and developing a shot. Should be able to guard 3-5 and maybe some 1s and 2s. Just does a lot of the little things that wins basketball games. He looks like a poor athlete and wasn't in best of shapes at the combine last year, but he makes up for being a poor athlete with knowing how to play the game.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#123 » by Onus » Sat May 4, 2024 3:16 pm

What are people’s thoughts on Ugonna? I can’t believe he’s only 19.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,233

Post#124 » by EvanZ » Mon May 6, 2024 7:05 pm

Here are some guys I think the Warriors will be interested in and will bring in to workout:

Reece Beekman (defensive guard prospect reminds of Kris Dunn)
Alex Karaban - homeless man's Klay
Oso Ighodaro - athletic specimen who can really move, defend and pass (can't shoot)
PJ Hall - smart traditional center, fairly athletic but definitely undersized
Jalen Bridges - 3&D wing potential
DaRon Holmes II - probably would never fall this far, but would be a super interesting center for us

Edit: Almost forgot Cam Spencer! Very obvious Warriorsy guy, also Scheierman and Dillon Jones could be Warriors type of guys
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM

Post#125 » by Onus » Mon May 6, 2024 8:26 pm

EvanZ wrote:Here are some guys I think the Warriors will be interested in and will bring in to workout:

Oso Ighodaro - athletic specimen who can really move, defend and pass (can't shoot)
DaRon Holmes II - probably would never fall this far, but would be a super interesting center for us

Edit: Almost forgot Cam Spencer! Very obvious Warriorsy guy, also Scheierman and Dillon Jones could be Warriors type of guys

What are your thoughts on ugonna onyenso
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#126 » by DevinVassell » Mon May 6, 2024 10:14 pm

Definately some interesting players around our slot. I want multiple year college players Coleman Hawkins or Dillon Jones.

No guards or small players under any circumstances.

If the two aforementioned players are gone another prospect I like is Justin Edwards. Down year but at 52 the talent is worth a flyer.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#127 » by EvanZ » Mon May 6, 2024 10:24 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Here are some guys I think the Warriors will be interested in and will bring in to workout:

I am 100% shocked that he is declaring. All I can say is when I watched Kentucky he pops because of his physical profile but stats-wise it's so hard to make a case here, especially for us. 5 assists on the season in 450 minutes. He just doesn't scream "Warriors player" AT ALL to me. Especially after the Wiseman incident. At 52 less risk obviously, but then again, we need hits more.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 20

Post#128 » by RUN-TJM » Tue May 7, 2024 11:39 am

How soon after the draft can teams sign undrafted free agents? There seems to be a larger than normal pool of useful looking prospects that may miss out.
Onus
RealGM

Post#129 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 12:56 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:

I am 100% shocked that he is declaring. All I can say is when I watched Kentucky he pops because of his physical profile but stats-wise it's so hard to make a case here, especially for us. 5 assists on the season in 450 minutes. He just doesn't scream "Warriors player" AT ALL to me. Especially after the Wiseman incident. At 52 less risk obviously, but then again, we need hits more.

Yea love his physical profile and mobility, but absolutely a risk. He is only 19 as a so, so I can see why his stats are way below everyone else's. But agree not a Warriors fit.

I've trying to talk myself into Nique Clifford, but he just doesn't jump off the screen as an elite athlete. He's a good athlete but as a supposed elite defensive guy IDK. The shot form looks fine and I think the shot will come around.

Also Jaxson Robinson is really intriguing with his supposed 7'2'' wingspan. He really needs to play stronger on the offensive end though. But his physical tools and his shooting are something I can buy into as well.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#130 » by EvanZ » Tue May 7, 2024 1:37 pm

I think what we've seen is with this Warriors team, with Kerr, whomever we draft has to have the requisite feel and IQ or it's tough sledding. So these days I am looking at that first as a filter. If they don't have feel, it's almost just not even worth bothering about. And honestly, I'm fine with that. I hate watching dummies.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#131 » by EvanZ » Tue May 7, 2024 1:42 pm

RUN-TJM wrote:How soon after the draft can teams sign undrafted free agents? There seems to be a larger than normal pool of useful looking prospects that may miss out.

from google:

On June 30 at 6 p.m. ET, teams can start negotiating with all other free agents. Deals can't be signed until 12:01 p.m. ET on July 6.
Onus
RealGM

Post#132 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 1:56 pm

EvanZ wrote:I think what we've seen is with this Warriors team, with Kerr, whomever we draft has to have the requisite feel and IQ or it's tough sledding. So these days I am looking at that first as a filter. If they don't have feel, it's almost just not even worth bothering about. And honestly, I'm fine with that. I hate watching dummies.

Yea that's why my top target really is Alex Karaban.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,159

Post#133 » by TB » Tue May 7, 2024 4:34 pm

Intriguing guards that could pair with Podz down the road:

Jared McCain - if we got into the mid 1st, he'd be my target. Interested to see his measurements but I think he's a combo guard very similar to Podz.

Kyshawn George - might be a bit too slow/weak, but his size/passing/shooting/defensive effort are all perfect matches in terms of a big combo guard next to Podz.

Ajay Mitchell - plays like a poor mans Brunson, but should be able to split on-ball and off-ball duties just fine.

Jaylon Tyson - Do it all big guard. Defending and extending his shot worry me, but the defense (and turnovers) may be due to the crazy high usage he had at Cal.
Onus
RealGM

Post#134 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 4:43 pm

TB wrote:Intriguing guards that could pair with Podz down the road:

Jared McCain - if we got into the mid 1st, he'd be my target. Interested to see his measurements but I think he's a combo guard very similar to Podz.

Kyshawn George - might be a bit too slow/weak, but his size/passing/shooting/defensive effort are all perfect matches in terms of a big combo guard next to Podz.

Ajay Mitchell - plays like a poor mans Brunson, but should be able to split on-ball and off-ball duties just fine.

Jaylon Tyson - Do it all big guard. Defending and extending his shot worry me, but the defense (and turnovers) may be due to the crazy high usage he had at Cal.

If Jaylon Tyson falls to us we should run to the podium.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,159

Post#135 » by TB » Tue May 7, 2024 4:56 pm

Onus wrote:

Ya I'd guess these guys will be long gone by our pick. If we stay at 52 the guy I'm seeing mocked down there that I'd draft is Jalen Bridges. But I have a feeling he is going to creep into late 1st round as the draft process continues. I'm also confused why Oso seems to be going in the other direction... but ya if he drops into the 2nd round we should maneuver to grab him.
Onus
RealGM

Post#136 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 5:04 pm

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:

Ya I'd guess these guys will be long gone by our pick. If we stay at 52 the guy I'm seeing mocked down there that I'd draft is Jalen Bridges. But I have a feeling he is going to creep into late 1st round as the draft process continues. I'm also confused why Oso seems to be going in the other direction... but ya if he drops into the 2nd round we should maneuver to grab him.

Oso is probably similar to TJD in that he's an undersized center that doesn't shoot. Shooting seems like such premium in these playoffs. Like Aaron Gordon is being played off the court.

I really hope we get to choose between Bridges and Karaban. We need a shooter so bad.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#137 » by EvanZ » Tue May 7, 2024 5:08 pm

I hope people realize that picks in the 50s are virtually always the worst players in the draft, including UDFAs. TJD is a very unusual exception. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if almost every player we are talking about goes undrafted to their agent can control their landing spot.

The Warriors are an extremely uncertain situation right now for. young players for so many different reasons. Podz and TJD broke through, but in some sense unless there is a clear sign GS is rebuilding and going with a youth movement I don't expect we get anyone interesting at all at 52. In fact it is probably highly likely we include the pick in some deal.
Onus
RealGM

Post#138 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 5:21 pm

EvanZ wrote:I hope people realize that picks in the 50s are virtually always the worst players in the draft, including UDFAs. TJD is a very unusual exception. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if almost every player we are talking about goes undrafted to their agent can control their landing spot.

The Warriors are an extremely uncertain situation right now for. young players for so many different reasons. Podz and TJD broke through, but in some sense unless there is a clear sign GS is rebuilding and going with a youth movement I don't expect we get anyone interesting at all at 52. In fact it is probably highly likely we include the pick in some deal.

We have a gaping hole for a big / big wing that can shoot regardless of which direction we choose to go. Bridges or Karaban should be able to step right in and fill that role immediately. If I were their agents I'd be maneuvering to get drafted by the Warriors.

But I get your point, everyone else I can see being hesitant. Might get some time as a 2, only if Klay is gone. As a big TJD, Looney, Draymond you have to get by and not going to get a lot of time. Maybe a 3rd string pg. But otherwise there's really not any time unless you're crazy competitive and want to fight for a role.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#139 » by EvanZ » Tue May 7, 2024 5:43 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I hope people realize that picks in the 50s are virtually always the worst players in the draft, including UDFAs. TJD is a very unusual exception. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if almost every player we are talking about goes undrafted to their agent can control their landing spot.

We have a gaping hole for a big / big wing that can shoot regardless of which direction we choose to go. Bridges or Karaban should be able to step right in and fill that role immediately. If I were their agents I'd be maneuvering to get drafted by the Warriors.

But I get your point, everyone else I can see being hesitant. Might get some time as a 2, only if Klay is gone. As a big TJD, Looney, Draymond you have to get by and not going to get a lot of time. Maybe a 3rd string pg. But otherwise there's really not any time unless you're crazy competitive and want to fight for a role.

Unfortunately literally every team "needs a big wing that can shoot".
vvoland
Senior
And1: 110

Post#140 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 5:49 pm

Onus wrote:

Are you saying that some 21 year old that you are projecting as late 2nd round picks "should" come in a fill a role for a team trying to win in the west? A role that is probably the most coveted position in the league - "big/big wing that can shoot"?

If they can fill that role, even on a bad team, they should be a top 15 pick, at worst. Why would they be able to fill that role while sliding to the mid/late 2nd?

Return to Golden State Warriors