Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,400

Re: It's TIME! 24 Draft 

Post#141 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 5:54 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I hope people realize that picks in the 50s are virtually always the worst players in the draft, including UDFAs. TJD is a very unusual exception. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if almost every player we are talking about goes undrafted to their agent can control their landing spot.

The Warriors are an extremely uncertain situation right now for. young players for so many different reasons. Podz and TJD broke through, but in some sense unless there is a clear sign GS is rebuilding and going with a youth movement I don't expect we get anyone interesting at all at 52. In fact it is probably highly likely we include the pick in some deal.

We have a gaping hole for a big / big wing that can shoot regardless of which direction we choose to go. Bridges or Karaban should be able to step right in and fill that role immediately. If I were their agents I'd be maneuvering to get drafted by the Warriors.

But I get your point, everyone else I can see being hesitant. Might get some time as a 2, only if Klay is gone. As a big TJD, Looney, Draymond you have to get by and not going to get a lot of time. Maybe a 3rd string pg. But otherwise there's really not any time unless you're crazy competitive and want to fight for a role.

Are you saying that some 21 year old that you are projecting as late 2nd round picks "should" come in a fill a role for a team trying to win in the west? A role that is probably the most coveted position in the league - "big/big wing that can shoot"?

If they can fill that role, even on a bad team, they should be a top 15 pick, at worst. Why would they be able to fill that role while sliding to the mid/late 2nd?

I'm not projecting them there. That's where they are currently projected which is why I'm really high on them. I'd have them much higher than that.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#142 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 5:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I hope people realize that picks in the 50s are virtually always the worst players in the draft, including UDFAs. TJD is a very unusual exception. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if almost every player we are talking about goes undrafted to their agent can control their landing spot.

The Warriors are an extremely uncertain situation right now for. young players for so many different reasons. Podz and TJD broke through, but in some sense unless there is a clear sign GS is rebuilding and going with a youth movement I don't expect we get anyone interesting at all at 52. In fact it is probably highly likely we include the pick in some deal.

We have a gaping hole for a big / big wing that can shoot regardless of which direction we choose to go. Bridges or Karaban should be able to step right in and fill that role immediately. If I were their agents I'd be maneuvering to get drafted by the Warriors.

But I get your point, everyone else I can see being hesitant. Might get some time as a 2, only if Klay is gone. As a big TJD, Looney, Draymond you have to get by and not going to get a lot of time. Maybe a 3rd string pg. But otherwise there's really not any time unless you're crazy competitive and want to fight for a role.

Unfortunately literally every team "needs a big wing that can shoot".

True. But that doesn't mean that should preclude them from wanting to be drafted by the Warriors.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#143 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue May 7, 2024 6:45 pm

so we have a 3.4% chance of keeping our pick? /jimcarreythere'sachance.gif
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#144 » by TB » Tue May 7, 2024 6:57 pm

I don't think its ideal to ever pencil in a rookie to a rotation role if the goal is to compete in the playoffs.

Podz and Trayce were the exact players I wanted; and they are both what I'd call NBA ready rookies. But even then the hope was that they would be 3rd stringers. Welp, instead they were good enough to be starters on our team this year... which says great things about them, but also awful things about how others performed this year.

Even in the scenario that we soft-rebuild to get under the cap, and trade starting salary for a mid-1st... NBA ready guys like Filipowski, Holmes, De Silva, or smart/older underclassmen like McCain... I wouldn't want them penciled into a 10 man rotation.
Onus
RealGM

Post#145 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 7:51 pm

TB wrote:I don't think its ideal to ever pencil in a rookie to a rotation role if the goal is to compete in the playoffs.

Podz and Trayce were the exact players I wanted; and they are both what I'd call NBA ready rookies. But even then the hope was that they would be 3rd stringers. Welp, instead they were good enough to be starters on our team this year... which says great things about them, but also awful things about how others performed this year.

Even in the scenario that we soft-rebuild to get under the cap, and trade starting salary for a mid-1st... NBA ready guys like Filipowski, Holmes, De Silva, or smart/older underclassmen like McCain... I wouldn't want them penciled into a 10 man rotation.

I agree you don't want to pencil them into the rotation and even Podz and TJD they had players they had to out play to get into the rotation, which is what you want. But realistically there's no one in free agency that we can afford that can fulfill that role. There's no one on the team currently that can fulfill that role. Our only hope is 52, UDFA, or a trade. Basically filling the role with anything but a trade we're not winning the title.

Realistically looking at the Wolves right now I don't think we're winning the title with Steph again. I do think if we had OG we would've had a chance though. Curry, Dray, Wiggins, OG would've given us a fighting chance against anyone since our defense would've locked down everyone. But now that that ship has sailed, I really don't see a trade that puts us over the top. I'm fine with going young prioritizing the youth with only Curry and Dray as the old guys. That means Klay walks, CP3 walks, Looney gets deprioritized as does GP2. See what you can get for Wiggins, if Sixers are willing to trade 16 I might do it now (draft Salaun or TDS). Curry and Dray might not like it and if they want a trade I'm fine with that as well.
TB
General Manager

Post#146 » by TB » Tue May 7, 2024 8:17 pm

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:I don't think its ideal to ever pencil in a rookie to a rotation role if the goal is to compete in the playoffs.

I agree you don't want to pencil them into the rotation and even Podz and TJD they had players they had to out play to get into the rotation, which is what you want. But realistically there's no one in free agency that we can afford that can fulfill that role. There's no one on the team currently that can fulfill that role. Our only hope is 52, UDFA, or a trade. Basically filling the role with anything but a trade we're not winning the title.

Realistically looking at the Wolves right now I don't think we're winning the title with Steph again. I do think if we had OG we would've had a chance though. Curry, Dray, Wiggins, OG would've given us a fighting chance against anyone since our defense would've locked down everyone. But now that that ship has sailed, I really don't see a trade that puts us over the top. I'm fine with going young prioritizing the youth with only Curry and Dray as the old guys. That means Klay walks, CP3 walks, Looney gets deprioritized as does GP2. See what you can get for Wiggins, if Sixers are willing to trade 16 I might do it now (draft Salaun or TDS). Curry and Dray might not like it and if they want a trade I'm fine with that as well.

Yup. I'm basically following the draft for the scenario of missing out on any trades that could bring us legit #2 players, and therefor going with the plan of getting younger and under the cap. I think maybe you could talk Steph into that if the other reality is just another version of this year battling for a play-in spot anyways.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 127

Post#147 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 9:08 pm

Onus wrote:

There's a real chance we get under the luxury tax and have the non-tax payer mid level available to us. That should be able to net us someone that can come in and play a role. Between trades, vet mins, and a MLE, we can rebuild this roster in one summer. Will we? Probably not.
Onus
RealGM

Post#148 » by Onus » Thu May 9, 2024 2:03 am

Shocked that Jared McCain is coming in to work out with us.
TB
General Manager

Post#149 » by TB » Thu May 9, 2024 2:07 am

Onus wrote:Shocked that Jared McCain is coming in to work out with us.

MDJ following my soft-rebuild plan 8-)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,296

Post#150 » by clyde21 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:41 am

teams don't just scout players for the draft, they scout them and keep the file just in case they want to trade for them later or if they want to target them in FA, it's all just data collection
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,179

Post#151 » by watch1958 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:00 am

clyde21 wrote:teams don't just scout players for the draft, they scout them and keep the file just in case they want to trade for them later or if they want to target them in FA, it's all just data collection
I forget; which deal sent out this year’s first round draft pick?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Onus
RealGM

Post#152 » by Onus » Thu May 9, 2024 1:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:teams don't just scout players for the draft, they scout them and keep the file just in case they want to trade for them later or if they want to target them in FA, it's all just data collection

It's more so why would Jared Mccain accept an invite to workout for us than us working him out. I understand from our point of view.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#153 » by EvanZ » Thu May 9, 2024 1:57 pm

Hey we have a 3% chance of getting a top 3 pick, which we would surely use to draft Jared McCain!
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM

Post#154 » by Onus » Thu May 9, 2024 2:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:Hey we have a 3% chance of getting a top 3 pick, which we would surely use to draft Jared McCain!

4% chance for a top 4 pick! We going to get lucky for Jared!
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,132

Post#155 » by whatisacenter » Thu May 9, 2024 3:27 pm

watch1958 wrote:

The Warriors attached this years FRP to Iguodala in the trade with Memphis that netted dLo in a S&T.

Ended up being totally worth it as they flipped dLo for Wiggins and a FRP pick (Kuminga) and won another title.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,179

Post#156 » by watch1958 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:07 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
watch1958 wrote:

The Warriors attached this years FRP to Iguodala in the trade with Memphis that netted dLo in a S&T.

Ended up being totally worth it as they flipped dLo for Wiggins and a FRP pick (Kuminga) and won another title.
Thanks. I honestly couldn’t remember when it happened.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#157 » by EvanZ » Thu May 9, 2024 5:18 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Hey we have a 3% chance of getting a top 3 pick, which we would surely use to draft Jared McCain!

4% chance for a top 4 pick! We going to get lucky for Jared!

Wasserman has McCain #7 so this might actually be the truth, which if so, is absolutely wild to me. I never thought McCain could go anywhere near this high.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#158 » by EvanZ » Thu May 9, 2024 5:20 pm

EvanZ wrote:Here are some guys I think the Warriors will be interested in and will bring in to workout:

Reece Beekman (defensive guard prospect reminds of Kris Dunn)
Alex Karaban - homeless man's Klay
Oso Ighodaro - athletic specimen who can really move, defend and pass (can't shoot)
PJ Hall - smart traditional center, fairly athletic but definitely undersized
Jalen Bridges - 3&D wing potential
DaRon Holmes II - probably would never fall this far, but would be a super interesting center for us

Edit: Almost forgot Cam Spencer! Very obvious Warriorsy guy, also Scheierman and Dillon Jones could be Warriors type of guys

They are bringing in Dillon Jones.
Onus
RealGM

Post#159 » by Onus » Thu May 9, 2024 5:31 pm

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Here are some guys I think the Warriors will be interested in and will bring in to workout:

Reece Beekman (defensive guard prospect reminds of Kris Dunn)
Alex Karaban - homeless man's Klay
Oso Ighodaro - athletic specimen who can really move, defend and pass (can't shoot)
PJ Hall - smart traditional center, fairly athletic but definitely undersized
Jalen Bridges - 3&D wing potential
DaRon Holmes II - probably would never fall this far, but would be a super interesting center for us

Edit: Almost forgot Cam Spencer! Very obvious Warriorsy guy, also Scheierman and Dillon Jones could be Warriors type of guys

They are bringing in Dillon Jones.

i'm kind of interested in Adama Bal as well
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,296

Post#160 » by clyde21 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:39 pm

watch1958 wrote:

the Wiggy deal, part of the reason why I hated the mechanics of the deal when it happened.

thankfully, the draft turned out to be a bad one.

Return to Golden State Warriors