ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 JK Thread

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,330

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#21 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:35 pm

He is playing well as of late. Theyve won 3 of 4 with him as a starter the last few games. He has a positive +/- and on off for the season. He has been a solid contributor and earned his starts so far.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,832

Post#22 » by floppymoose » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:14 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#23 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:47 am

floppymoose wrote:JK was a better passer the first time he ever touched a basketball than Maggette ever was.

Maaggette scored well for some bad Warriors teams. Playing for the foul first rather than putting your main effort into putting the ball through the hoop irritates me but Maggette Harden and Dantley were effective when trying to draw the foul first and only trying to hit the shot after they have drawn the foul.

I see potential for Kuminga to be a huge foul drawer with a small tweak to his current game. I would prefer that the refs never reward offensive players for jumping into defenders but the refs show no sign of stopping the rewarding of offensive players that jump into defenders.

I would be happy if the Warriors hired Maggette to teach Kuminga how to get block calls without getting charge calls. If Kuminga would slightly jump into defenders more than he already does Kuminga would draw a ton of blocking fouls.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#24 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:02 am

Trayce and Podz have natural high basketball IQ that Kuminga lacks.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,939

Post#25 » by cdubbz » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:11 am

ShootersShoot wrote:He is playing well as of late. Theyve won 3 of 4 with him as a starter the last few games. He has a positive +/- and on off for the season. He has been a solid contributor and earned his starts so far.

Hope JK keeps it up! Increases his trade value or of we keep him he's getting good run. If Green is tradeable then JK can be bumped to starter depending what we get from Green
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#26 » by watch1958 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:40 am

With regular minutes, JK is realizing that good defense is fun.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,330

Post#27 » by ShootersShoot » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:47 pm

cdubbz wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:He is playing well as of late. Theyve won 3 of 4 with him as a starter the last few games. He has a positive +/- and on off for the season. He has been a solid contributor and earned his starts so far.

Hope JK keeps it up! Increases his trade value or of we keep him he's getting good run. If Green is tradeable then JK can be bumped to starter depending what we get from Green

Will be interesting to see if they trade the young guys before scouting reports catch up? They all have considerably more trade value than earlier on. A part of me wants the depth, another wants a legit star player to pair with steph. Either way, hopefully they keep up the good play.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#28 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:43 pm

whatisacenter wrote:What is with the negativity over Kuminga after these last few games. Dude played pretty well tonight. He was active on the glass keeping balls alive when he wasn't rebounding them and had the biggest stop of the night on Tatum. I much prefer watching this team with him replacing Draymond in the starting lineup.

The many Kuminga haters here have always willfully ignored the obvious improvements he's made this season, demanding "advanced stats" to prove he's taking strides. They're all awfully quiet these days, as are all those calling for him to be traded.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#29 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:57 pm

Kuminga is still improving. He has not improved as much as I hoped he would since his rookie year and he will probably never be as good as I hoped he would become.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#30 » by HiRez » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:36 am

Everyone knew Kuminga was SUPER RAW coming into the league. I don't know why there were expectations he'd be really good right out of the gate. 2+ years seems a reasonable expectation for seeing noticeable improvement. And it looks like he is showing it but a larger sample size is needed to know whether it's a blip or sustainable. But certainly very encouraging for a string of games now.

But it's funny that people are still like "Yes, Kuminga looks good, he's doing everything asked of him and more! Let's trade him quick!"
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#31 » by EvanZ » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:05 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:What is with the negativity over Kuminga after these last few games. Dude played pretty well tonight. He was active on the glass keeping balls alive when he wasn't rebounding them and had the biggest stop of the night on Tatum. I much prefer watching this team with him replacing Draymond in the starting lineup.

The many Kuminga haters here have always willfully ignored the obvious improvements he's made this season, demanding "advanced stats" to prove he's taking strides. They're all awfully quiet these days, as are all those calling for him to be traded.

I’d still trade him right now. He’s been ok for a few games while Draymond is out. His MO is playing within the reins for a few games until he starts to feel himself then he basically undoes all the good stuff with wild plays and ego shooting. If you can trade him and CP3 for someone like Siakam today I’d go and do that immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#32 » by HiRez » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:30 am

Kuminga playing the most consistent ball of his career and tonight was the most comfortable I've ever seen him. It was all coming naturally to him, he was aggressive without overthinking things or being out of control. He's finally realizing he can get to the rim pretty easily without overcomplicating things with too much dribbling and weird fake out moves -- just get downhill and turn on the jets. The putback dunk he had was insane, no one else on the team does that except Wiggins like twice a year and I guess maybe TJD now.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#33 » by EvanZ » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:28 pm

HiRez wrote:Kuminga playing the most consistent ball of his career and tonight was the most comfortable I've ever seen him. It was all coming naturally to him, he was aggressive without overthinking things or being out of control. He's finally realizing he can get to the rim pretty easily without overcomplicating things with too much dribbling and weird fake out moves -- just get downhill and turn on the jets. The putback dunk he had was insane, no one else on the team does that except Wiggins like twice a year and I guess maybe TJD now.

The Wizards can have that effect.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,939

Post#34 » by cdubbz » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:16 pm

Haven't been able to see the past few games but his stat line looked nice and he's getting minutes.

Why is he not rebounding more? I know it's never been his strength but coaches need to tell him BOARD MAN GETS PAID. 7rpg minimum
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,578

Post#35 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:24 pm

Kuminga is still 21, and a young 21, just from 2 months ago.

He's currently averaging, per 36, 21/6/2 + 1.6 stocks. As a starter (6 games), he's averaging 16/5/2 in 25 mins, with 63/44/67 shooting splits. The rebounding could be better but I'm sure that will improve over time.

Truthfully, he already broke out last season, after the All-Star break, when Wiggins was out... he averaged 13/4/2 with 57/44/67 shooting splits, in 21 games... link.

Now he needs consistency on his current role. If/when he overperforms this role, then it's time to increase his workload.

He will be fine in due time. I wouldn't trade him for all the reasons mentioned above, plus the fact that we could re-sign him in a very affordable deal soon.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 768

Post#36 » by jaymo123 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:50 pm

What impressed me the most about JK was his driving and kicking last night. His feel for the game is improving and consistently playing can do that for you. Dubs need to leave him in the starting lineup along with adding TJD in place of Looney.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#37 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:11 pm

jaymo123 wrote:What impressed me the most about JK was his driving and kicking last night. His feel for the game is improving and consistently playing can do that for you. Dubs need to leave him in the starting lineup along with adding TJD in place of Looney.

This is what I envisioned him doing for the team. Granted this was against the useless Wizards, but at least he recognizes when there isn’t anything there to pass it out. Make the easy decision. Defenses will have to respect his attacks inside making the outside shooters job easier. This is much better than Kerr pass the ball around, find nothing, turnover offense. Glad to see they are finally making changes, accidentally due to Draymond’s suspension.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#38 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:38 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Kuminga is still 21, and a young 21, just from 2 months ago.

He's currently averaging, per 36, 21/6/2 + 1.6 stocks. As a starter (6 games), he's averaging 16/5/2 in 25 mins, with 63/44/67 shooting splits. The rebounding could be better but I'm sure that will improve over time.

Truthfully, he already broke out last season, after the All-Star break, when Wiggins was out... he averaged 13/4/2 with 57/44/67 shooting splits, in 21 games... link.

Now he needs consistency on his current role. If/when he overperforms this role, then it's time to increase his workload.

He will be fine in due time. I wouldn't trade him for all the reasons mentioned above, plus the fact that we could re-sign him in a very affordable deal soon.

Yeah he had a good stretch in the second half of the season and then barely played in the playoffs.

He got in early vs. Kings and Fox and Monk just broke his ankles and Kerr didn't want to rely on him after that.

That is what got him sour about not getting playing time. He had played well leading up to the playoffs but he was left off the playoffs rotation.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#39 » by HiRez » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:43 pm

EvanZ wrote:
HiRez wrote:Kuminga playing the most consistent ball of his career and tonight was the most comfortable I've ever seen him. It was all coming naturally to him, he was aggressive without overthinking things or being out of control. He's finally realizing he can get to the rim pretty easily without overcomplicating things with too much dribbling and weird fake out moves -- just get downhill and turn on the jets. The putback dunk he had was insane, no one else on the team does that except Wiggins like twice a year and I guess maybe TJD now.

The Wizards can have that effect.

Your theory doesn't hold water because he also looked good against the Celtics, Clippers, Suns, and Thunder. And...bad players can still look bad against bad teams. See: Jordan Poole, for one.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#40 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:04 pm

I don’t like Kuminga’s help defense and don’t like his rebounding.

Kuminga’s man defense on Tatum was good.
Jokic is so big and strong but I think Kuminga could take away Jokic’s dribble and thereby limit Jokic’s passing.

I think Kuminga is as strong as Draymond. I think we should try Kuminga on Jokic on Christmas. Jokic will think he can shoot over Kuminga but it might not be true because Kuminga is a great jumper. If Kuminga is on Jokic Kuminga does not have to play help defense.

Return to Golden State Warriors