Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#61 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:10 pm

wissportsfan wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
wissportsfan wrote:The way that JK is progressing I hope they keep him and give him more minutes. I really think that's all he needs is playing time. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to trade for him though. We'll see if anything is worth it around the trade deadline.

I think it would be stupid to trade him. Really tired of hearing fans wanting to trade him. He can be a legitimate part of a future core. It wasn’t like Wiseman who showed no improvement, btw saw highlights of the Pistons game last night and he still looks like the same player. Lousy screens, calling for the ball, out of position on defense.

I have watched some Pistons games as well just to see Wiseman and it's incredible how much he hasn't improved at all. TJD is the player that we all thought Wiseman would progress from. I just think Wiseman doesn't have the IQ and maybe that will change, he's still very young. But TJD will catch lobs or hot passes and I'll think to myself Wiseman would've never caught that. It's like he had oven mitts for hands.

Yesterday was the first time I saw him in a while because of the historic game. I was shocked to see he still is the same. I thought there would be some improvement. At least he is in the team where he belongs. Everyone on the team is trying to get theirs.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 792

Post#62 » by Old_Blue » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:14 pm

wissportsfan wrote:TJD is the player that we all thought Wiseman would progress from.

"We all thought?"...Sorry, but Wiseman's garbage defense, bad hands and inability to screen was evident from the get go. The gaslighting campaign to say otherwise was strong though. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
wissportsfan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#63 » by wissportsfan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:17 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
wissportsfan wrote:TJD is the player that we all thought Wiseman would progress from.

"We all thought?"...Sorry, but Wiseman's garbage defense, bad hands and inability to screen was evident from the get go. The gaslighting campaign to say otherwise was strong though. :D

Someone must've thought differently in the FO when they drafted him lol
Old_Blue
Veteran

Post#64 » by Old_Blue » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:27 pm

wissportsfan wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:

Someone must've thought differently in the FO when they drafted him lol

That's a whole other debate...With some of us thinking that such a moronic decision had to have been made by a non-basketball individual - namely, Lacob.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#65 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:35 pm

Mocks all had Wiseman in the top 3.. the chances he was getting out of the top 5 were slim to none. He benefit from a lot of things that hid how raw he was, and he was likely coached well how to interview. Its extremely hard to evaluate big men that are effectively just coming out of HS, and there's a long history of good GMs missing on those players because of all the variables that come from selecting someone who's effectively skipping the minor leagues
Old_Blue
Veteran

Post#66 » by Old_Blue » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:31 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Mocks all had Wiseman in the top 3.. the chances he was getting out of the top 5 were slim to none. He benefit from a lot of things that hid how raw he was, and he was likely coached well how to interview. Its extremely hard to evaluate big men that are effectively just coming out of HS, and there's a long history of good GMs missing on those players because of all the variables that come from selecting someone who's effectively skipping the minor leagues

This isn't a question of what mock drafts suggest should be the draft order. The teams themselves have access to far more information than do the schlubs blogging at home.

What I personally think happened was that a knee jerk reaction was made after AD led the Lakers to a bubble championship. At the time, it was fair for the organization to internally ask the question - How do we deal with AD for the next five years? However, Wiseman was clearly not going to be that guy. Even if he did develop, he wasn't going to be ready for several years - making his draft selection untimely for addressing the immediate AD issue.

The pick will be analyzed and second guessed for decades. I don't hang the blame on Myers though. At the time, Lacob made it abundantly clear who he wanted his team to draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2918981-joe-lacob-calls-warriors-draft-pick-james-wiseman-once-in-a-decade-kind-of-guy

"To be honest with you, he (Wiseman) was my No. 1 forever, basically. I just think he's a once-in-a-decade kind of guy. I would argue that, other than [Joel] Embiid, I don't know that there's another center prospect that's come along in the last decade that you would put in the same category. Different players, maybe. But this guy is immensely talented. …

"When you see him in person, it's pretty compelling. And when we watched him do his workout, it's pretty compelling. … Some of the things he does on the court for a guy his size, he's very mobile, really good ball-handling for someone his size. Anyone who says he can't shoot is crazy. He can shoot. He's going to get better; he can shoot. And he's obviously going to be a very good defender. He's going to be a rim protector and shot blocker, so there's a heckuva lot of things to like. And I just think he's a great fit as well with what we needed and with our team."

The moral of the story is that you will see what you are capable of seeing. And, when you see things that just aren't there (as owners like Jerry Jones or, in this case, Joe Lacob) are wont to do, your voice should carry little to no relevance in any legitimate draft discussion.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#67 » by Onus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:00 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Mocks all had Wiseman in the top 3.. the chances he was getting out of the top 5 were slim to none. He benefit from a lot of things that hid how raw he was, and he was likely coached well how to interview. Its extremely hard to evaluate big men that are effectively just coming out of HS, and there's a long history of good GMs missing on those players because of all the variables that come from selecting someone who's effectively skipping the minor leagues

This isn't a question of what mock drafts suggest should be the draft order. The teams themselves have access to far more information than do the schlubs blogging at home.

What I personally think happened was that a knee jerk reaction was made after AD led the Lakers to a bubble championship. At the time, it was fair for the organization to internally ask the question - How do we deal with AD for the next five years? However, Wiseman was clearly not going to be that guy. Even if he did develop, he wasn't going to be ready for several years - making his draft selection untimely for addressing the immediate AD issue.

The pick will be analyzed and second guessed for decades. I don't hang the blame on Myers though. At the time, Lacob made it abundantly clear who he wanted his team to draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2918981-joe-lacob-calls-warriors-draft-pick-james-wiseman-once-in-a-decade-kind-of-guy

"To be honest with you, he (Wiseman) was my No. 1 forever, basically. I just think he's a once-in-a-decade kind of guy. I would argue that, other than [Joel] Embiid, I don't know that there's another center prospect that's come along in the last decade that you would put in the same category. Different players, maybe. But this guy is immensely talented. …

"When you see him in person, it's pretty compelling. And when we watched him do his workout, it's pretty compelling. … Some of the things he does on the court for a guy his size, he's very mobile, really good ball-handling for someone his size. Anyone who says he can't shoot is crazy. He can shoot. He's going to get better; he can shoot. And he's obviously going to be a very good defender. He's going to be a rim protector and shot blocker, so there's a heckuva lot of things to like. And I just think he's a great fit as well with what we needed and with our team."

The moral of the story is that you will see what you are capable of seeing. And, when you see things that just aren't there (as owners like Jerry Jones or, in this case, Joe Lacob) are wont to do, your voice should carry little to no relevance in any legitimate draft discussion.

Why are you fixated on the wiseman draft? It’s not like we missed on some generational talent. That draft has not set us back. The jk draft has set us back.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#68 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:15 pm

People are going to blame who they want, and thats fine.. but that access to information bit is very romanticized.. they have a lot of the same info. The difference being access to workouts (sometimes public), personality, and college coach opinion, but that last one is basically like asking the kid's parents - its not going to be a neutral answer, it will of course be favorable. Even things like Second Spectrum and similar programs for college are basically just data compilers of people either watching the games or tabulating boxscores

If you take a big that hasnt played in college or at an equitable level internationally, its a crapshoot. Wiseman was helped tremendously by his own college "career" of 3 games and COVID in shielding that his feel for the 5 on 5 game was limited and his resilience was even less so.. up until the draft day, he never had a real setback on court. And the NBA is nothing but setbacks for rookies. Everything went his way in that regard.. but just like Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown, Jonathan Bender, Desagana Diop, Robert Swift, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other HS draftee bigs that were total busts.. you have to accept the risks that you are hoping to get lucky. And its not a good bet, but they made it. I dont care who individually to blame, but I do find it hard to believe that the owner overruled the draft room, who at the time weren't making many good decisions anyways
Old_Blue
Veteran

Post#69 » by Old_Blue » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:27 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:I do find it hard to believe that the owner overruled the draft room, who at the time weren't making many good decisions anyways

Your own logic defeats your conclusion. If the owner determined that the draft room wasn't making many good decisions at the time, then that owner would indeed be likely to overrule the draft room. :D
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#70 » by watch1958 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:09 am

Old_Blue wrote:

I think there also was a knee jerk reaction to Klay’s injury. That let someone (like Joe) say “that changes everything; let’s swing for the fences.”

Without any real deliberation on what “that changes everything” really means.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#71 » by watch1958 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:20 am

Another thing they should have thought hard about was that they were automatically losing the first year of development because of Covid. The whole 4 months before camp was gone. The final form wasn’t decided, but it was clear GLeague would be truncated.

It was also likely that Covid would affect him at some point during the season.

Given the track of rookie contracts, options, and extensions, that should have given them pause.

I think they decided it was a lost season, and that he could just be tossed in.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#72 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:54 am

Can’t play Kuminga at power forward with Saric or this year’s version of Looney because they don’t rebound. Kuminga with last year’s Looney is fine because Kuminga does not rebound as well as power forwards should rebound last year’s Looney rebounded well.

Saric is it a good rebounder although he puts up good rebounding numbers every 2nd game.

Kuminga’s rebounding problem is mental. His first step towards a rebound is delayed.

We should have sent rookie Kuminga to G-league for 5 games and told him to forget about scoring and defense and just try to get every rebound. The point would be to try to build rebounding reflexes in Kuminga. Kuminga has a great body for rebounding. How does Podz get all those rebounds. You arenot supposed to think about rebounding. You should have a reflex to move towards the rebound as soon as the ball hits the rim.

Because both Kuminga and Wiseman failed at getting good first steps towards rebounds I wonder if the coaching staph was hurting their rebounding by making them over think what they should be doing.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#73 » by michaelm » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:56 am

watch1958 wrote:Another thing they should have thought hard about was that they were automatically losing the first year of development because of Covid. The whole 4 months before camp was gone. The final form wasn’t decided, but it was clear GLeague would be truncated.

It was also likely that Covid would affect him at some point during the season.

Given the track of rookie contracts, options, and extensions, that should have given them pause.

I think they decided it was a lost season, and that he could just be tossed in.

Lacob was always big on KD, and rightly so in his case. I have always thought they wanted another KD when they drafted Wiseman. They also appeared to think hot housing him was their only chance that season or for the future, perhaps underestimating Curry, and I agree Klay going down the day before the draft and being out for the season was likely influential.

There certainly seemed to be some instruction regarding Wiseman from on high, as per concurrent threads it is hardly Kerr’s natural inclination to start a raw rookie and play him so many minutes.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#74 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:24 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Can’t play Kuminga at power forward with Saric or this year’s version of Looney because they don’t rebound. Kuminga with last year’s Looney is fine because Kuminga does not rebound as well as power forwards should rebound last year’s Looney rebounded well.

Saric is it a good rebounder although he puts up good rebounding numbers every 2nd game.

Kuminga’s rebounding problem is mental. His first step towards a rebound is delayed.

We should have sent rookie Kuminga to G-league for 5 games and told him to forget about scoring and defense and just try to get every rebound. The point would be to try to build rebounding reflexes in Kuminga. Kuminga has a great body for rebounding. How does Podz get all those rebounds. You arenot supposed to think about rebounding. You should have a reflex to move towards the rebound as soon as the ball hits the rim.

Because both Kuminga and Wiseman failed at getting good first steps towards rebounds I wonder if the coaching staph was hurting their rebounding by making them over think what they should be doing.

The funny thing he has great anticipation for putback dunks off Klank’s misses. I don’t see him as a PF even though they want to make him one. He doesn’t like to mix it up with other bigs. With TJD available there’s no real reason for JK to pretend to be a big.

Ideally he should be playing SG so he could use his size and abuse smaller players, but that runs counter to Kerr’s strategy of playing a player one or two sizes bigger than they are. Kerr wet his pants when GP2 arrived.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#75 » by sonnyhill » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:12 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Can’t play Kuminga at power forward with Saric or this year’s version of Looney because they don’t rebound. Kuminga with last year’s Looney is fine because Kuminga does not rebound as well as power forwards should rebound last year’s Looney rebounded well.

The funny thing he has great anticipation for putback dunks off Klank’s misses. I don’t see him as a PF even though they want to make him one. He doesn’t like to mix it up with other bigs. With TJD available there’s no real reason for JK to pretend to be a big.

Ideally he should be playing SG so he could use his size and abuse smaller players, but that runs counter to Kerr’s strategy of playing a player one or two sizes bigger than they are. Kerr wet his pants when GP2 arrived.

Do you think that as "Father Time" starts to slow down Curry, and if Kerr is still coaching the team, that Kerr will play Curry at power forward or center?
watch1958
General Manager

Post#76 » by watch1958 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:16 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Kuminga rebounding drives me nuts. Not the raw numbers. The approach.

Remember that Moody rebound and putback last year on a missed FT?

Watch JK on the replay. Sure, he never was going to get that particular board. But he did just about nothing to fight for any board at all.

Compare that to Podz. He hits someone just about every time a shot goes up.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#77 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:37 am

sonnyhill wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Do you think that as "Father Time" starts to slow down Curry, and if Kerr is still coaching the team, that Kerr will play Curry at power forward or center?

He’s planning to use Canon Curry as center. I’m talking about for this Thursday’s game.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#78 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:41 am

watch1958 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Watch JK on the replay. Sure, he never was going to get that particular board. But he did just about nothing to fight for any board at all.

JK is white collar basketball player. He eats his Poulet à la Moambé with chopsticks.

The only player more white collar than JK for rebounds is Sideshow Wise. He’s a ghost on the boards. All 5 star prospects have learned to wrap themselves in bubble wrap at an early age.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#79 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:18 am

I still think moody is the much better player, but he doesn't get the coddling that jk gets.

Jk gets benched when he does something wrong. Moody gets benched for just stepping on the court.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,216

Post#80 » by cpower » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:40 am

watch1958 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

he is all about getting bucket and getting paid, which is Poole's mindset...this is why i dont see him growing into a All NBA player because he is not willing to do things make this team winning basketball games...

the comment he makes, he is not happy that he is passing the ball to Curry/Klay..which both are more efficient..so basically he is not happy Curry/Klay getting buckets even though Curry/Klay bucket helps the team more than his own bucket.

Return to Golden State Warriors