ImageImageImageImageImage

Trayce Jackson-Davis = Green's Replacement?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

Trayce Jackson-Davis = Green's Replacement? 

Post#1 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:25 pm

I know, it's jumping the gun a bit here, but one can wonder. They share similar qualities (Defense, willingness to pass/share the ball, and rebound), but TJD has big shoes to fill as Green has the upper-hand seeing he's been the anchor in those categories.

I do see that TJD has the knack to find others, rebound at a moderately good rate, and can stay with his man, defensively. If only Kerr can see a 4-year college player with polished skills can do wonders for the team looking for answers at their position of need. Give him more minutes/reps in real, meaningful games to see what he's about as the 57th pick.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Trayce Jackson-Davis = Green's Replacement? 

Post#2 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:41 pm

No. They are very different players.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,239

Post#3 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:43 pm

Trayce is firmly a C in our system, can't see him as a Dray replacement. We need to give TJD a lot of minutes though, he's definitely part of our future.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#4 » by Mac1958 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:02 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:I know, it's jumping the gun a bit here, but one can wonder. They share similar qualities (Defense, willingness to pass/share the ball, and rebound), but TJD has big shoes to fill as Green has the upper-hand seeing he's been the anchor in those categories.

I do see that TJD has the knack to find others, rebound at a moderately good rate, and can stay with his man, defensively. If only Kerr can see a 4-year college player with polished skills can do wonders for the team looking for answers at their position of need. Give him more minutes/reps in real, meaningful games to see what he's about as the 57th pick.

I'll be in the minority on this, but yeah, with one caveat.

He's a smart and mature kid, and he averaged 4 assists in his last year in college. That's pretty amazing for a college big. He still has room to improve his game, but even if it's only on the BBIQ, that would be fine. IF (and here's the caveat) the Dubs can put a center next to him who has some range and is not clogging the lane.

I've loved this incredible run, but it's time to make some moves while the pieces still have some value. Klay, Wiggins, Kuminga, CP3, Moody. And Green.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#5 » by Coxy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:25 pm

Can Trayce shoot the ball?

At this point, he's replacing Looney in the starting lineup for me. Kevon is toast, barely an NBA player now. It's very obvious to me to start Trayce to have that inside presense with verticality. He's a good screen setter and will only get better witht he starters.

Alas, it won't happen though.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#6 » by B-King » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 pm

Looney needs some rest. His ironman performance the last 2 years is taking its toll. I would start Looney for a short stint to keep the offense continuity together for the start of the game. You can sub him for either Saric or TJD depending on the matchup.

The pairing of Saric, TJD and Paul intrigues me and would like to see them at the start of the 2nd quarter and end of the third.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:55 pm

I say start him at PF and see what happens. He has the playmaking and screening skills to play in this system. He's a much better finisher than Draymonds, too.

He's not Draymond, but he doesn't have to be. He can be a lot better than Draymond in several ways. Having a big that can finish inside should take a lot of pressure off of Klay and Curry.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#8 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:12 pm

lol cmon cant we have one young player we dont ruin with crazy expectations?
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 768

Post#9 » by jaymo123 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:46 pm

More like Looney's replacement.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#10 » by TB » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:53 pm

Right now he's the 2020 Marquese Chriss replacement. Playing almost identical in terms of role and statistics, but instead of filling in for a hurt Looney, Trayce is potentially filling in for a struggling Looney.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#11 » by DaHef » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:10 pm

It took Kerr this long to "discover" TJD when people on this board have been screaming for him to get minutes all season. Next, they'll say what a genius Kerr is for making this amazing discovery. Sheeesh!
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#12 » by Onus » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:13 pm

I find it hard to see TJD getting regular rotation minutes. He played amazing against the pels and then dnps. He played amazing last night, I expect more DNPs unless someone gets hurt or has foul trouble.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#13 » by TB » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:39 pm

Onus wrote:I find it hard to see TJD getting regular rotation minutes. He played amazing against the pels and then dnps. He played amazing last night, I expect more DNPs unless someone gets hurt or has foul trouble.

Kerr himself said his minutes were due to Saric foul trouble, even though he'd like to play Trayce every night. So, it really comes down to Loon/Saric playing bad and/or being in foul trouble. Or, one of the G/F minutes needs to get pinched so Saric can shift to more PF minutes... and the obvious person for that is CP3. I just don't see Kerr doing that 2nd part, so we may just see alot of center by committee with all 3 getting in the 10-20 minute range.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#14 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:07 am

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:I find it hard to see TJD getting regular rotation minutes. He played amazing against the pels and then dnps. He played amazing last night, I expect more DNPs unless someone gets hurt or has foul trouble.

Kerr himself said his minutes were due to Saric foul trouble, even though he'd like to play Trayce every night. So, it really comes down to Loon/Saric playing bad and/or being in foul trouble. Or, one of the G/F minutes needs to get pinched so Saric can shift to more PF minutes... and the obvious person for that is CP3. I just don't see Kerr doing that 2nd part, so we may just see alot of center by committee with all 3 getting in the 10-20 minute range.

This is more damning than the dreaded 'vote of confidence' for a struggling head coach

What would the Vegas odds be that Cory Joseph sees a minute before TJD does?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#15 » by Onus » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:14 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
TB wrote:

This is more damning than the dreaded 'vote of confidence' for a struggling head coach

I don't think it's likely unless cp3 gets injured. I would think TJD plays before cojo. Probably -350 that tjd plays again before cojo.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#16 » by watch1958 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:32 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
TB wrote:

On a side note, TJD’s best pair partner is CoJo.

Another small minute oddity: No lineup that includes Podz, Kuminga, TJD and Moody is negative.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,940

Post#17 » by cdubbz » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:50 am

it would change our lineup to be 'bigger' & less switchy. I like Trayce & Looney splitting the Center minutes especially when Dario leaves next season.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#18 » by HiRez » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:13 am

I'm not sure why everyone has to replace someone else, especially since our core guys are so unique. The truth is the whole system and array of roles will have to change pretty soon anyway, regardless of whether Draymond gets traded (very doubtful). It's not going to be an easy "plug this guy into this slot" and carry on kind of thing, it's all going to have be different.

And the question is will Kerr be able to do that? It's not easy to tear down everything you've built over a decade plus and start over with something new. The tricky part will be the transition if the core doesn't stick together and retire at the same time because then you have a system built specifically for them, but without any replacement parts. Is there a world where someone without direct replacement skills can still work around pieces of the core (mostly Steph), in a modified system? Kerr has shown that mostly he wants guys to adapt to his system instead of him adapting the system to new talent, with mixed results so far.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#19 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:59 am

Mac1958 wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:I know, it's jumping the gun a bit here, but one can wonder. They share similar qualities (Defense, willingness to pass/share the ball, and rebound), but TJD has big shoes to fill as Green has the upper-hand seeing he's been the anchor in those categories.

I'll be in the minority on this, but yeah, with one caveat.

He's a smart and mature kid, and he averaged 4 assists in his last year in college. That's pretty amazing for a college big. He still has room to improve his game, but even if it's only on the BBIQ, that would be fine. IF (and here's the caveat) the Dubs can put a center next to him who has some range and is not clogging the lane.

I've loved this incredible run, but it's time to make some moves while the pieces still have some value. Klay, Wiggins, Kuminga, CP3, Moody. And Green.

Why the hell not? Draymond came out as a tough 4 year college player. TJD the same. Trace has a high IQ, is able to switch pretty well....a MUCH better shot blocker and lob threat.

Draymond is one of a kind....no doubt. But TJD does things right now that Draymond could never do.

He will never be that vocal red-ass leader and I don't' see him running the point.

But as a replacement? Upgrade in size, power, probably rebounding, shot blocking and lob threat. I'm certain he'll be very good screen setter as well.

I'd take that over a dude past his prime, choking the life out of the team's chemistry, completely unhinged at times.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#20 » by Romulus » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:09 am

TJD can't shoot a 3 to save his life. He does have limits. But the real question is simple: is he better than anything else on the roster (Looney)?

The answer appears to be an overwhelming yes. He should play a lot until we find out he can't.

Return to Golden State Warriors