ImageImageImageImageImage

Is It Time to Trade Klay?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Yes or No. Should the Warriors trade Klay?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 44

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Re: Is It Time to Trade Klay? 

Post#181 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:28 am

Old_Blue wrote:I have come to the conclusion that certain "fans" have a secret agenda to destroy the team. That, or extremely poor judgement. Seriously, no other team was going to trade for Klay's bloated contract without requiring that the Dubs add draft capital. And, even then, the return was likely to be paltry. So, those of you who were demanding that Klay be traded were also essentially demanding that the team squander a draft pick or two in exchange for some other team's bad contract.

Destroy the team by not trying to be good now or destroy the team by trading draft picks?

Since the 3 point shot only the Lakers and Pistons have won chamionships with more than one core in less than 20 years. Bad boy Pistons and Ben Wallace Pistons had no players in common. Kobe Lakers and LeBron Lakers had no players in common.

Spurs are the closest to a 3rd team but all their championships had Duncan.
Celtics are knocking on the door of winning a championship in less than 20 years since 2008.

Do not expect the Warriors to win a championship in the next 20 years. When Curry retires we should probably trade Kuminga so that Kuminga does not stop us from getting multiple lottery picks. Kuminga making us mediocre instead of horrible may delay our rebuikding.
Getting Curry at 7th pick was lucky. Normally Curry level players are not available at the 7th pick.

Kuminga can not win a championship without another great player. How are you supposed to get a great player to go with Kuminga.

Grasp at a longshot Championship now or trade everybody for draft picks including Kuminga. Maybe not being true contenders but staying a plaoff team until Curry retires is the way to go. It is difficult to trade Curry because he is paid so much. A team would have to gut itself to trade for Curry.

We might as well try to win with what we have. Before we decline the Chris Paul option we should see what we can get for Chris Paul and 5 1st round picks. If we get a star for Chris Paul and 5 1st round picks we might want to keep Klay arround as bench filler unless Klay really does make us worse and we are better off giving Klay’s minutes to Quinones.

If Klay makes us worse he will make any team worse in which case Klay’s only value is to trade Klay’s salary plus 5 1sts for a good player. Klay on a one year deal plus Chris Paul plus 2 1st round picks might get us 40 year old LeBron not that I want LeBron.

Klay plus Chris Paul plus 5 1sts might get us Joikic if we coukd convince Jokic to demand a trade. Most teams probably don’t have enough salary to trade for Jokic or Embiid or Doncik but we have enough salary to trade for a mega star.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#182 » by michaelm » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:46 am

Old_Blue wrote:I have come to the conclusion that certain "fans" have a secret agenda to destroy the team. That, or extremely poor judgement. Seriously, no other team was going to trade for Klay's bloated contract without requiring that the Dubs add draft capital. And, even then, the return was likely to be paltry. So, those of you who were demanding that Klay be traded were also essentially demanding that the team squander a draft pick or two in exchange for some other team's bad contract.

Trading Klay would be stupid including for the reasons you mention, even apart from his shooting at least still being valuable and of course it being a slight to one of the greatest GSW players ever who is in his current situation because of an injury sustained in the service of the team/franchise.

What people are complaining about is both Klay trying to play and Kerr playing him as though he was still the same player as he was before tearing his ACL in the 2019 finals, and in particular playing him in 3 guard line ups that for months had him playing significant minutes next to two small slow and old other guards. I don’t know that playing more than 1 of them together for high minutes or particularly in closing line-ips is viable, and that one is obviously going to be Curry,
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#183 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:49 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:

Destroy the team by not trying to be good now or destroy the team by trading draft picks?

Since the 3 point shot only the Lakers and Pistons have won chamionships with more than one core in less than 20 years. Bad boy Pistons and Ben Wallace Pistons had no players in common. Kobe Lakers and LeBron Lakers had no players in common.

Celtics are knocking on the door of winning a championship in less than 20 years since 2008.

Do not expect the Warriors to win a championship in the next 20 years. When Curry retires we should probably trade Kuminga so that Kuminga does not stop us from getting multiple lottery picks. Kuminga making us mediocre instead of horrible may delay our rebuikding.
Getting Curry at 7th pick was lucky. Normally Curry level players are not available at the 7th pick.

Kuminga can not win a championship without another great player. How are you supposed to get a great player to go with Kuminga.

Grasp at a longshot Championship now or trade everybody for draft picks including Kuminga. Maybe not being true contenders but staying a plaoff team until Curry retires is the way to go. It is difficult to trade Curry because he is paid so much. A team would have to gut itself to trade for Curry.

We might as well try to win with what we have. Before we decline the Chris Paul option we should see what we can get for Chris Paul and 5 1st round picks. If we get a star for Chris Paul and 5 1st round picks we might want to keep Klay arround as bench filler unless Klay really does make us worse and we are better off giving Klay’s minutes to Quinones.

I was actually doing a little research of what could possibly be available this summer. Let's say we wanted to make a big impact trade. After looking at the teams, I took everything into consideration in terms of the possibility a player could request a trade or just be moved.

These are the names I came up with:

Paul George - Kawhi will never leave LAC. But there could be a small chance PG does. But if he's moved it's because he's old and iffy.
LBJ - If the Lakers can't make a trade for Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell in the summer, is that it for the Lakers?
AD - Same as above.
KAT - Is he a Warriors player?
Jerami Grant - This is the one that GS could acquire easily. But would the lineup make sense?Steph/Wiggins/Kuminga/Grant/Draymond
Markennan - This one might become more of a reality this summer since it looks like the Jazz might be ready to tank.
Dejountay Murray - Warriors were not all that interested.
Jaylen Brown - If the Celtics flame out, is he the scapegoat?
Mikal Bridges - His stock will definitely be lower.
Caruso - Very gettable. But nobody is paying 2 1sts. And you would basically be sending out GP2 for him.
Jimmy Butler - Maybe his era is over with the Heat.
Giannis - Okay I'm day dreaming. His new contract also makes it impossible for him to demand where he goes.

So these are all the possible players that could be available that I can see the Warriors could be interested in that has some semblance of possibility.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#184 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:07 am

killmongrel wrote:

I was actually doing a little research of what could possibly be available this summer. Let's say we wanted to make a big impact trade. After looking at the teams, I took everything into consideration in terms of the possibility a player could request a trade or just be moved.

Paul George - Kawhi will never leave LAC. But there could be a small chance PG does. But if he's moved it's because he's old and iffy.
LBJ - If the Lakers can't make a trade for Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell in the summer, is that it for the Lakers?
AD - Same as above.
Jerami Grant - This is the one that GS could acquire easily. But would the lineup make sense?Steph/Wiggins/Kuminga/Grant/Draymond
Caruso - Very gettable. But nobody is paying 2 1sts. And you would basically be sending out GP2 for him.
Giannis - Okay I'm day dreaming. His new contract also makes it impossible for him to demand where he goes.

So these are all the possible players that could be available that I can see the Warriors could be interested in that has some semblance of possibility.

So if we

Jimmy Butler is a winner. How old is he? Old guys turn into pumpkins eventually.
Curry and Draymond probably don’t have more than 2 years left as top level players and Klay may already be finished so we only need 2 good years from Jimmy Butler after which it is OK if our guys all get moldy together.

There is no point in not parting with 5 1st round draft picks to be a chamioship contender.

People are rating Caruso as the best defensive guard.

With Curry Dray and Podz we don’t have a great need for another ball handler but I wwould like another defensive guard.

Payton is a better gambler than he is a dribble stopping guy to bother good point guards but Payton is good enough to be our point guard defender while Podz runs the offense from the small forward position and Carusa is the shut down off guard. But Payton, Caruso Podz might not be enough shooting from your smalls. Kuminga can be the 1st option scorer but then do we want a outside shooting center?
Saric would ruin the good defense I am trying to create. Most outside shooting center are bad defenders like Saric.

I think the Nets are trying to rebuild arround Mikal Bridges and will not trade him. But I would like him.

I liked how the Draymond, Barnes, Iguodal, Klay, Curry death unit was fast enough to trap and force turnovers despite Klay and Curry not actually being fast.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#185 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:25 am

killmongrel wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote: Destroy the team by not trying to be good now or destroy the team by trading draft picks?

AD - Same as above.

So if we

Jimmy Butler is a winner. How old is he. Old guys turn into pumpkins eventually.

There is no point in not parting with 5 1st round draft picks to be a chamioship contender.

With Curry Dray and Podz we don’t have a great need for another ball handler but I wwould like another defensive guard.

Payton is a better gambler than he is a dribble stopping guy to bother good point guards but Payton is good enough to be our point guard defender while Podz runs the offense from the small forward position and Carusa is the shut down off guard. But Payton, Caruso Podz might not be enough shooting from your smalls. Kuminga can be the 1st option scorer but then do we want a outside shooting center?
Saric would ruin the good defense I am trying to create. Most outside shooting center are bad defenders like Saric.

I think the Nets are trying to rebuild arround Mikal Bridges and will not trade him. But I would like him.

I liked how the Draymond, Barnes, Iguodal, Klay, Curry death unit was fast enough to trap and force turnovers despite Klay and Curry not actually being fast.

I'm thinking about what the mindset of this FO could be, and I honestly don't think they would trade the youth, especially if Kuminga continues to play like he is for the rest of the season, for a player like Paul George, LBJ, and Jimmy Butler. They value the future of the organization too much only to watch it go down the drain if any of those players look wash by the time they get here.

Other super stars are not available like GIannis.

Dejountay Murray and Caruso are down the list. Jerami Grant doesn't seem like somebody they would go into the tax for or second apron. KAT only makes sense if Kuminga stays but I just think something is off about the idea. And if Jaylen Brown is moved, then he is not worth that ridiculous new contract.

So all in all, my list comes down to the same 4 players I keep coming back to: Caruso, Murray, Markennan, Bridges.

The only thing with Markennan and Bridges, unless their prices drop down big time, I don't see the Warriors FO moving Kuminga if he continues to play like he is, ie, averaging 20 points and helping the Warriors win.

So are small time trades the key? Caruso and Murray? Or are there others? I liked Bojan but he's with the Knicks now. Who could be, say, so good that they're the third option on offense and space the floor? Something like that. Somebody you don't have to give up a Kuminga for.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#186 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:01 am

killmongrel wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

AD - Same as above.

So if we

Jimmy Butler is a winner. How old is he. Old guys turn into pumpkins eventually.

I'm thinking about what the mindset of this FO could be, and I honestly don't think they would trade the youth, especially if Kuminga continues to play like he is for the rest of the season, for a player like Paul George, LBJ, and Jimmy Butler. They value the future of the organization too much only to watch it go down the drain if any of those players look wash by the time they get here.

Other super stars are not available like GIannis.

Dejountay Murray and Caruso are down the list. Jerami Grant doesn't seem like somebody they would go into the tax for or second apron. KAT only makes sense if Kuminga stays but I just think something is off about the idea. And if Jaylen Brown is moved, then he is not worth that ridiculous new contract.

So all in all, my list comes down to the same 4 players I keep coming back to: Caruso, Murray, Markennan, Bridges.

The only thing with Markennan and Bridges, unless their prices drop down big time, I don't see the Warriors FO moving Kuminga if he continues to play like he is, ie, averaging 20 points and helping the Warriors win.

So are small time trades the key? Caruso and Murray? Or are there others? I liked Bojan but he's with the Knicks now. Who could be, say, so good that they're the third option on offense and space the floor? Something like that. Somebody you don't have to give up a Kuminga for.

The way I read the tea leaves with the Hawks the Hawks were never in a hurry to trade Dejounte. A bunch of teams probably made offers for Dejounte but the Hawks ony wanted trades that were lopsided in their favor.

Hawks will still probably only want trades that are lopsided in their favor this summer. We might want to give the Hawks a trade that is lopsided in their favor if they accept draft picks and stop asking for Kuminga.

Lakers and Pistons are the only 2 teams that have won 2 chamionships with different players with less than 20 years between chamionships. We are not going to be winning a chapionship with a team built arround Kuminga 8 years from now.

When Curry retires we should trade Kuminga for draft picks and Tank. I am OK with trading 5 1st round oicks for a 25% chance of winning one more championship with Curry.

How good of a team are we? The last 8 games we seem to be a team that may be a dejounte Murray away from winning a chamionshio.

The team we had the 1st 40 games with Wiggins playing poorly needed more than adding Dejounte Murray to win a chamionship.

Will Podz be a very good 3 point shooter next year? Losing Klay would not feel so wrong if Podz was knocking down 3s with a hand in his face.

If Giannis or one of the top 10 players pulled a LeBron and demanded a trade there would only be about 5 teams that could trade for them without gutting their roster and the Warriors are one of thise teams. Your team must have a massive payroll and overpaid players to acquire a superstar while giving up draft picks instead of giving up your best players.

I won’t hold my breath wating for a superstar to force a trade but it happens every other year. If the guy hits free gency the sign and trade makes sense for both teams and the plaayer.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#187 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:08 am

Try to construct a 4 team trade that sends Curry to a top 6 team to make that team the championship favorite. Even if the Warriors are willing to take on the leage’s worst contracts in exchange for draft picks it is hard to trade Curry to a top 6 team without making the top 6 team worse.

Top 6 teams are over the salary cap and must gut their teams to add Curry.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#188 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:19 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie,

You're right on when you say the team looks like it's one player away from competing for a championship. And what I think you're seeing is, outside of Steph/Wiggins/Kuminga/Draymond, you're looking for that 5th guy who is an upgrade over what we currently have on the roster.

I think that everybody should be on the table for trades in the summer if the focus is on those 4 guys I mentioned.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#189 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:35 am

killmongrel wrote:SinceGatlingWasARookie,

You're right on when you say the team looks like it's one player away from competing for a championship. And what I think you're seeing is, outside of Steph/Wiggins/Kuminga/Draymond, you're looking for that 5th guy who is an upgrade over what we currently have on the roster.

I think that everybody should be on the table for trades in the summer if the focus is on those 4 guys I mentioned.

I don’t want trade our depth.
If I trade Klay’s salary and draft picks then I want to keep Moody uless I am getting a off guard back.
I want to keep Podz and Payton unless I am keeping Chris Paul or getting a point guard back. I trust Podz a a back up point guard on offense and trust Payton to be a back up point guard on defense so I woukd use them as a pair if Chris Paul was gone.

Chris Paul plus Moody and draft picks is a package I would offer for a good off guard, point guard or center.

I don’t want the good player we get to be a small forward or power forward because I think with Draymond, Kuminga and Wiggins we are already complete at power forward and small forward unless Draymond is playing center. Even with Draymond playing center I have my starting power forward in Kuminga and think that Garuba would be an adequate back up power forward. Or play the centers enougg so that Draymond can play 13 minutes per game at power forward.

Center an off guard are where we could use an upgrade. If we are keeping Chris Paul we don’t have much use for a point guard.

Klay has made it clear that he wants to stay a Warrior and would rather be a bench player on the Warriors than a starter for some other team.

I don’t want to trade Wiggins because recent games Wiggins is to good to trade.

So the big salary to make the salaries work to turn draft picks into a good player must be Klay or Chris Paul. For sentimental reasons I want to keep Klay but to appease the Klay haters I would be willing to trade Klay and keep Chris Paul.

I could take a back up quality big center and a defensive stud off guard for either Klay or Chris Paul plus Moody and draft picks. If I trade Klay I get nervous that we won’t have enough outside shooting. Dejounte Murray would be a good fit because he was once considered a defender and probably coukd defend well if motivated and he can shoot and can create his own shot and can play point guard or off guard.

Chris Paul and Moody and draft picks for Dejounte and a back up level big center would be my preferred trade. Offer the hawks as many draft picks as needed to get the deal done. Hawks don’t have a big center. Capela is good but he is the same small size as Looney, Trayce and Saric. So add a 3rd team to thi trade to get me my big center.

Chris Paul and Moody and a boat load of draft picks for Dejounte Murray and Capella works in trade checker but Capela is not the center I want so I would send Capela to a 3rd team for a big center I would want. Capela does have value and the Hawks would need a center if they lose Capela and extra draft picks for Capela. Hawks can not pretend to their fans that they are not rebuilding if they trade Capela and Murray.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,698

Post#190 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:31 pm

Now that things seemingly settled down more or less, and the team is currently playing very well, my greatest fear is that when Chris Paul returns, Kerr will revert to his old ways, ie, insist on playing those horrible 3 guard lineups with Curry, Paul and Klay together, with Klay defending SFs.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,400

Post#191 » by Onus » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:53 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Now that things seemingly settled down more or less, and the team is currently playing very well, my greatest fear is that when Chris Paul returns, Kerr will revert to his old ways, ie, insist on playing those horrible 3 guard lineups with Curry, Paul and Klay together, with Klay defending SFs.

If Kerr still tries to get each of them 30 mpg then it's bound to happen. It's bound to happen even if they do 24 mpg between CP and Klay. So yes you can look forward to it. YAY!
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#192 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:20 pm

CP's role should be leading the 2nd unit, Klay's role should be catching a fish on his boat for the team dinner
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#193 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:04 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Now that things seemingly settled down more or less, and the team is currently playing very well, my greatest fear is that when Chris Paul returns, Kerr will revert to his old ways, ie, insist on playing those horrible 3 guard lineups with Curry, Paul and Klay together, with Klay defending SFs.

That's why I wish they had just traded for Kristaps. I thank CP3 for his services but I don't want to watch him play anymore on this team.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#194 » by sonnyhill » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:09 pm

killmongrel wrote:

That's why I wish they had just traded for Kristaps. I thank CP3 for his services but I don't want to watch him play anymore on this team.

Correction: Kerr would have Thompson defending centers, Curry defending PFs, and Paul defending shooting guards.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#195 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:06 pm

Klay is a Warriors legend and nobody can take that away from him. With that said, I'm just done with him. I would feel relieved if he was DNP'd the rest of the season. Win or lose, I just don't want to see him on the team anymore. From him playing badly to his embarrassing attitude when things aren't going his way, it's time for him to go.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 467

Post#196 » by Swift21 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:00 pm

killmongrel wrote:Klay is a Warriors legend and nobody can take that away from him. With that said, I'm just done with him. I would feel relieved if he was DNP'd the rest of the season. Win or lose, I just don't want to see him on the team anymore. From him playing badly to his embarrassing attitude when things aren't going his way, it's time for him to go.

Agreed. Everybody in the organization is walking on eggshells to avoid having that tough conversation with him.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,179

Post#197 » by watch1958 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:01 pm

Second game of a back to back. Klay deserves the night off.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#198 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:09 pm

Klay's jump shooting foundation (legs) is gone. He's constantly drifting right and coming down on one foot....I think this is likely due to concerns about past surgeries/leg strength. The running one foot mid-range shot...? What is that? I think it's Klay further disguising leg issues.

Sure he might have one good game in 5 or 8....but what's the point? ANY minutes he gets means he robs time from Kuminga, Wiggins or Moody. Enough!

An the worse thing Kerr can do is continue to put him in situations to get humiliated.

Kerr should announce that it is KLAY's decision to come off the bench for the rest of his career with the Warriors.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,601

Post#199 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:28 pm

Even if Klay becomes OK playing few minutes, or Kerr forces it, I worry that he's going to just try to gun his way into his old stats in fewer minutes, which would be even more of a disaster.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,124

Post#200 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:32 pm

watch1958 wrote:Second game of a back to back. Klay deserves the night off.

Technically we're playing back to back seasons. Just finished one in 2023 IIRC.. guy needs his rest

Return to Golden State Warriors