ImageImageImageImageImage

What do you think this organization does in the summer.

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 309

Re: What do you think this organization does in the summer. 

Post#61 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:07 am

Read on Twitter
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#62 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:14 am

GswStorm3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep, this is what I was convinced of.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 792

Post#63 » by Old_Blue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:24 am

GswStorm3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been saying this was going to be the case for a while now. Why else would the team trade Poole for CP3? If the Dubs intended to continue paying luxury tax, then the deal with the Wizards would have been Poole for Porzingis.

Old_Blue wrote:This off-season is going to be about regaining some degree of fiscal sanity. By rejecting a reported offer of 2 years/$48 million, Klay has inadvertently opened up the opportunity for the Dubs to dip below not just the 2nd luxury tax apron but also to get out of paying any luxury tax next season. CP3 will be allowed to walk. Then, if Klay is re-signed for something like 3 years/$50 million, the Dubs can reset and get out of the repeater tax. If Klay walks, then the Dubs can use the full non taxpayer MLE to sign his replacement. Lacob will be responding to the NBA's draconian new luxury tax rules by pulling off the table the giant pile of cash the Dubs have been tossing into the shared luxury tax pot.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#64 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:58 am

Old_Blue wrote:
GswStorm3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been saying this was going to be the case for a while now. Why else would the team trade Poole for CP3? If the Dubs intended to continue paying luxury tax, then the deal with the Wizards would have been Poole for Porzingis.

Old_Blue wrote:This off-season is going to be about regaining some degree of fiscal sanity. By rejecting a reported offer of 2 years/$48 million, Klay has inadvertently opened up the opportunity for the Dubs to dip below not just the 2nd luxury tax apron but also to get out of paying any luxury tax next season. CP3 will be allowed to walk. Then, if Klay is re-signed for something like 3 years/$50 million, the Dubs can reset and get out of the repeater tax. If Klay walks, then the Dubs can use the full non taxpayer MLE to sign his replacement. Lacob will be responding to the NBA's draconian new luxury tax rules by pulling off the table the giant pile of cash the Dubs have been tossing into the shared luxury tax pot.

Oof. With the emergence of Kuminga, Kristaps would actually have been great now.

Steph/Wiggins/Kuminga/Draymond/Kristaps
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#65 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:00 am

Steph and Dray likely thrilled that the goal is to get under the tax line
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#66 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:02 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Steph and Dray likely thrilled that the goal is to get under the tax line

It's Klay that should be the most "thrilled" isn't he? :lol:
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#67 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:06 am

killmongrel wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Steph and Dray likely thrilled that the goal is to get under the tax line

also yes, this is a Cohan-level thing to announce. Even if it is the plan, why tell people? Warrior fans celebrating about Lacob saving some coin?
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#68 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:10 am

At least the mle and bi annual will help get us free agents we weren't able to sign before. But they really should not be ignoring small trades either like for a Dejounte Murray or even a Bojan Bogdanvich. Those were trades they could have easily made this deadline.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#69 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:12 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

also yes, this is a Cohan-level thing to announce. Even if it is the plan, why tell people? Warrior fans celebrating about Lacob saving some coin?

Are they?

Man, I would have been so pissed if they ended up trading Wiggins because they wanted to keep Klay on another bloated contract.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#70 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:12 am

killmongrel wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Are they?

lol no of course not, facetiously asking whats the point of going to the media and announcing the plan is to save money? Like who's that for? Only the staunchest of blind faith fans could even pretend to get excited about that
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 459

Post#71 » by superunknown » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:15 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Are they?

lol no of course not, facetiously asking whats the point of going to the media and announcing the plan is to save money? Like who's that for? Only the staunchest of blind faith fans could even pretend to get excited about that

it ain't make no sense indeed.
this is like light years behind.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#72 » by Onus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:18 am

We’ll see what happens. But just another way the franchise would be failing Steph. Seems like they’ve been wanting to reset for awhile but 2022 threw a wrench in their plans.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#73 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:22 am

Onus wrote:We’ll see what happens. But just another way the franchise would be failing Steph. Seems like they’ve been wanting to reset for awhile but 2022 threw a wrench in their plans.

I will be OK with it if Lacob buys the A's.. I dont give a single **** about baseball honestly, but I know he'd become a bay area legend if he did it

All that said, Lacob may have been a touch overrated because of circumstance. If the cap didnt spike that one year, I wonder what kind of decade the team would have had. Ditto if the Wolves didn't fall for that DLo trade.. Warriors had a lot of lucky breaks over the years
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#74 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:23 am

Onus wrote:We’ll see what happens. But just another way the franchise would be failing Steph. Seems like they’ve been wanting to reset for awhile but 2022 threw a wrench in their plans.

This is what I'm curious about as well.

The only way they can sell this to Steph is:

1.) Kuminga looks like a legit no. 2 option.
2.) There aren't any trades this summer that make sense.
3.) They're able to sign good players with mle and bi annual.
4.) They get ring chasing vets.

So at the moment, Warriors brass is praying Kuminga continues to look good.
Onus
RealGM

Post#75 » by Onus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:27 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

I will be OK with it if Lacob buys the A's.. I dont give a single **** about baseball honestly, but I know he'd become a bay area legend if he did it

All that said, Lacob may have been a touch overrated because of circumstance. If the cap didnt spike that one year, I wonder what kind of decade the team would have had. Ditto if the Wolves didn't fall for that DLo trade.. Warriors had a lot of lucky breaks over the years

Better to be lucky than good. But the original brain trust has been raided and left. They’ve built the warriors to a premiere organization and really it’d be a great time to sell some equity at the top.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,697

Post#76 » by WarriorGM » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:07 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

It might be a negotiating ploy, a reminder to Steph, Draymond, and Klay that he is shelling out big for results. If big changes do come, it cannot be said to have come from out of the blue.

That said I'm not entirely convinced. Steph is a money-making machine. The Warriors get a whole lot of attention. Undercutting Steph's run at history by being cheap isn't going to go down well. For this to be a smart move Steph's competitive days would have to be well and truly over. Not a good bet.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#77 » by watch1958 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:01 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

It might be a negotiating ploy, a reminder to Steph, Draymond, and Klay that he is shelling out big for results. If big changes do come, it cannot be said to have come from out of the blue.

That said I'm not entirely convinced. Steph is a money-making machine. The Warriors get a whole lot of attention. Undercutting Steph's run at history by being cheap isn't going to go down well. For this to be a smart move Steph's competitive days would have to be well and truly over. Not a good bet.
I don’t care about Lacob saving money.

But if playing hardball with Klay lets them take a better shot at getting real help, then it’s good.

Realistically, they can’t keep getting older, shun young guys and pay Klay, and expect to win signing vet minimum guys.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Onus
RealGM

Post#78 » by Onus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:58 pm

Maybe Lacob was telling Klay you're not being re-signed next year. Our goal is for you to retire. Please don't make us offer you the vet min.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#79 » by Dom801e » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:40 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

It seemed obvious to me that this would be the plan. But agree that there is no reason to announce it unless it is to prep fans for no Klay and to lesser extent no CP3.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 262

Post#80 » by ShayDee » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:52 pm

They were almost never going to pay luxury tax for a perennial play in team. Next year will also be the last for Kuminga and Moody on rookie contracts so it's better to reset the luxury tax and go all in the year after. You can compete in this league without paying luxury tax although it will be really hard as you will not have good depth but if you already d o then what is the point?

They were winning games without Klay and CP3 and doing well with players like Gui, Lester, TJD etc so I think it will be fine for one year, sign Moody to an extension and use the salary for an upgrade to go all in like you did with Poole and CP3

Just let CP and Klay walk, get Olynyk on a min or some kind of exception(pray raps don't match), Trade/dump Looney/GP2 for cheaper salary, buy a 2nd rnd pick and find another gem you can play, tons of playable seniors in the draft even though weak class

Return to Golden State Warriors