ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 56 Nuggets at Warriors, 4 PM pst, big test, big game, big Jokic. NokieJokey not this time

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Re: Game 56 Nuggets at Warriors, 4 PM pst, big test, big game, big Jokic. NokieJokey not this time 

Post#221 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:48 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Offensively, we weren't great.

Steph shot really poorly and really hurt us. Normally if **** was off, he facilitate more.

Jk is the other big problem. He carried the second highest usage, but resulted in the worst team offense.

Kerr did a really poor job with our offense by continuing to force feed the cold hand.

The 2 best offensive players in the 1h (klay and Wiggins) were not allowed to get involved. There was no team play at all, the ball just stuck which made it easier for the nuggets to defend.

Somebody has to tell Kuminga that an efficient 20 points is not good enough anymore and now we need an efficient 35 points a game from him. Come on Kuminga why can’t you be more like michael Jordan?
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Re: Game 56 Nuggets at Warriors, 4 PM pst, big test, big game, big Jokic. NokieJokey not this time 

Post#222 » by Romulus » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:57 am

cpower wrote:GP2 went out when we led 61-48. in 2 mins we are all tied at 61. It seems like Kerr always pulling the wrong card at times..sigh.

I was begging for GP2 to play more minutes. He was making a huge difference and Kerr hardly played him. Also, TJD was playing lights out in the 2nd quarter and Kerr took him out. Would Denver have gone on that 14-0 run if those 2 were in the game? Doubt it.

And then Kerr in the post game just shrugged and said it wasn't their night? Not their night? They were up 16, come on.

Play the right lineups at the right times. Actually keep playing the guys that are hot and not stick to some stupid script you've decided on before the game even begins.

But you're right, CPower. Kerr always seems to be making the wrong moves. It's disgusting.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#223 » by jozef » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:31 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
cpower wrote:Denver is not even trying. If we can't find a center who can play with dray Why did not we go for a trade earlier? It makes no sense to only play the 2nd best player Draymond 28 mins a night. Steve Kerr should have sit Curry for this one.

He has one in tjd. But if u play tjd and dray, it means you can't play jk. So you give up offense for defense and rebounding which is a trade I'd make, but kerr never will.

You can play Dray, TJD and JK. There are 96 minutes at PF+C positions. In perfect world it would be 32 minutes for these 3 athletes.
Start Dray and TJD: TJD will not take shots from anybody.
Then let JK be the man (Steph gets rest) and torture opponent bench lineup.
If one of them needs extra rest or gets in foul trouble then Looney or Saric gets in, or GP2 fills the role in small ball lineup.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,697

Post#224 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:20 am

Looking at gameflow data it would seem the game was lost in the period starting 2:46 seconds from the end of the 2nd Q up to 7:31 left in the 3rd Q. The Dubs went -24 in those roughly 8 minutes. The Warriors offense just disappeared during that time so I'm getting the impression the Nuggets flipped the switch on their defense and effectively clamped the starting lineup. Steph, Kuminga, Wiggins, and Podz all had shots but missed most of them so it doesn't seem like it was only one guy that was the source of the problem. The coaching staff will need to study closely what happened in those minutes.

Interestingly enough that miserable period was bookended by GPII stints where the Warriors were actually +/- positive with him on the court. Even more curious is that GPII shared those minutes with Steph and Podz during the earlier stint and Steph and Klay in the later one so going smaller in these instances didn't seem to hurt.

A setback but one the team can learn important lessons from. My takeaway is that the current starting lineup with Steph, Podz, Kuminga, Wiggins, and Draymond isn't good enough to be an all-weather starting lineup. The team still needs to find something better against the best teams or alternatives based on matchups.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#225 » by vagelis » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:47 am

Jokic had big height adantage against Green.
Maybe Looney should be used a little bit more.

GPII, I don't know how he managed to have GP as a father and he cannot dribble the ball.

I think that Warriors have to rely only on 3-4 players offensively.

Saric, GPII, Podjemski should not take posessions.

When Warriors play against good teams this gets more obvious.

It is not who takes the shoot, it is about who initiates offense. And it cannot be whoever is on the court it can be possible that initiates offense.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 86

Post#226 » by billinder33 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:39 pm

Klay's first 20 minutes were vintage but the last 11 were atrocious. Klay's not a 30 minute player anymore and I cannot understand why the staff doesn't see this when even the casual Ws fan has figured it out. Great shooting night, but only 2 boards, 1 assist, 0 defense in 31 minutes.

Most of Klay's 10 undeserved minutes should go to GP2 who had 5 boards and 2 steals and played great D in under 14 minutes of play. I hope GP2 is under a minutes restriction and will get uncorked in the playoffs.

JKs 24 minutes was fine. Led the team in boards plus 3 assists. 5/10 from the field plus 9 FTs. It's often not aesthetic to watch in real time, but when you get to the end of a game and review the actual performance, it's never as bad as it felt at the time. We all want more, but he's 21 and started basketball just 6 years ago. I doubt there's a #1 option hiding inside him, but he'll be better with another offseason under his belt. If he develops an outside shot and improves his help D, you basically have another Wiggins on the team. IMO that's a good thing, but no one here has the patience with Steph's expiration date looming.

The entire offense went dry in the middle of the game. I'm not sure there's a cure for that other than "Durant", and that ship has sailed. Speaking of Durant not being here, I'm amazed Dray didn't get T'd up screaming "AND ONE!" at the ref so loud that even the crowd mic picked it up loud and clear. I hope this isn't the start of the slide back into the clown show we all know and don't love.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#227 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:56 pm

WarriorGM wrote:Looking at gameflow data it would seem the game was lost in the period starting 2:46 seconds from the end of the 2nd Q up to 7:31 left in the 3rd Q. The Dubs went -24 in those roughly 8 minutes. The Warriors offense just disappeared during that time so I'm getting the impression the Nuggets flipped the switch on their defense and effectively clamped the starting lineup. Steph, Kuminga, Wiggins, and Podz all had shots but missed most of them so it doesn't seem like it was only one guy that was the source of the problem. The coaching staff will need to study closely what happened in those minutes.

Interestingly enough that miserable period was bookended by GPII stints where the Warriors were actually +/- positive with him on the court. Even more curious is that GPII shared those minutes with Steph and Podz during the earlier stint and Steph and Klay in the later one so going smaller in these instances didn't seem to hurt.

A setback but one the team can learn important lessons from. My takeaway is that the current starting lineup with Steph, Podz, Kuminga, Wiggins, and Draymond isn't good enough to be an all-weather starting lineup. The team still needs to find something better against the best teams or alternatives based on matchups.

It’s the system that isn’t great. Most of the offense was probing for openings where there isn’t one. It’s at that time, someone has to force the defense to respond. They just kept passing the ball around doing nothing because Denver’s defense is tight.

Kerr made things worse by bringing in Klay for offense when he is a complete liability on defense. The thing Kerr doesn’t realize is that the latest winning streak hasn’t been because of offense, it’s the defense that led to offense, not the other way around. There was no reason for them to lose a ten point lead in a matter of minutes. If a team can’t defend, it doesn’t matter how much they score. And especially against a great defense, winning by scoring is a fool’s errand. They have to put up some sort of resistance because when Denver gets stops and goes in transition, no slow midgets are going to get back in time to do anything.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,447

Post#228 » by svart » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:09 pm

I'm still willing to die on that hill i'm on for a few years already - In certain match-ups you need a big to challenge a defense like this, to give you vertical spacing, to put pressure. It's the Lakers series all over again. Probing, hitting a wall, rinse and repeat to an exhaust.
And please, don't say there aren't bigs that can help. Maybe there are, maybe there aren't, maybe there were, maybe there weren't. But we didn't even f'ing try.......
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#229 » by Sandy333 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:16 pm

WarriorGM wrote:Looking at gameflow data it would seem the game was lost in the period starting 2:46 seconds from the end of the 2nd Q up to 7:31 left in the 3rd Q. The Dubs went -24 in those roughly 8 minutes. The Warriors offense just disappeared during that time so I'm getting the impression the Nuggets flipped the switch on their defense and effectively clamped the starting lineup. Steph, Kuminga, Wiggins, and Podz all had shots but missed most of them so it doesn't seem like it was only one guy that was the source of the problem. The coaching staff will need to study closely what happened in those minutes.

bottom line, nobody apart from steph and klay some of the time can can make a open shot consistently and only steph and sometimes kuminga can breakdown the defence .
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#230 » by Sandy333 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:33 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

It’s the system that isn’t great. Most of the offense was probing for openings where there isn’t one. It’s at that time, someone has to force the defense to respond. They just kept passing the ball around doing nothing because Denver’s defense is tight.

Kerr made things worse by bringing in Klay for offense when he is a complete liability on defense. The thing Kerr doesn’t realize is that the latest winning streak hasn’t been because of offense, it’s the defense that led to offense, not the other way around. There was no reason for them to lose a ten point lead in a matter of minutes. If a team can’t defend, it doesn’t matter how much they score. And especially against a great defense, winning by scoring is a fool’s errand. They have to put up some sort of resistance because when Denver gets stops and goes in transition, no slow midgets are going to get back in time to do anything.

Against a tight defence we cannot score unless steph is in full flow. Against poor offense team we were able to sustain with a great defensive unit like Wiggins, Podz, kuminga, Draymond and steph. Kerr has to cheat sometime/ wishes to play up klay / buy podz some rest by subbing podz for klay. This works against weak , middling teams. But against a great offensive team like Jokic team , even our best defensive unit cannot stop all scoring. Then we are limited by our offense, which is virtually zero against a good defence if steph is off. Nuggets are great defence with length, they shutdown Lakers and the refs completely last year.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#231 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:35 pm

Sandy333 wrote:

bottom line, nobody apart from steph and klay some of the time can can make a open shot consistently and only steph and sometimes kuminga can breakdown the defence .

There isn’t much weakness to Denver’s defense. The only weakness I have seen is Murray. Which I want JK to play at SG. There is a mismatch there to exploit if not to score points then to collapse their defense. Openly creating a mismatch by going bigger is completely opposite from what Kerr is used to but I think it’s their only option against Denver when I noticed that Murray can not guard Wiggins or JK. But if they play Podz and Curry, it’s not much threat to their defense.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,376

Post#232 » by Onus » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:41 pm

Kerr's biggest issue is he has no feel for the game. He has no feel for matchups. He just plays his lineups because he needs to play everyone a certain amount of minutes and limit people's minutes. His rotations are so robotic.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,579

Post#233 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:09 pm

Podziemski is averaging 6 rebounds a game, is 11th in the league in contested rebounds by a guard, and 3 of his 4 games against Denver this year were good rebounding games. But apparently he doesn't stand a chance rebounding against Denver. Okay.

I wish Moody was getting more opportunity to show what he can do. But reading these post game threads is just an exercise in futility.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,243

Post#234 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:28 pm

I don't even really feel like there is much point to rehashing the game, or who played when etc. especially on a night where Steph was off. If he's not doing well we typically have no chance against a team like this.

The Nuggets have better players. They are bigger and more athletic, leading to easy transition buckets; I believe it was something like 24-3 in transition points. The Warrior offense looked bad over the course of the game because it was almost always in a half court against superior size and athleticism. In the off-season we need another large, athletic defender who can help trigger some fast breaks for us via defense.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#235 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:14 pm

Romulus wrote:
cpower wrote:GP2 went out when we led 61-48. in 2 mins we are all tied at 61. It seems like Kerr always pulling the wrong card at times..sigh.

I was begging for GP2 to play more minutes. He was making a huge difference and Kerr hardly played him. Also, TJD was playing lights out in the 2nd quarter and Kerr took him out. Would Denver have gone on that 14-0 run if those 2 were in the game? Doubt it.

And then Kerr in the post game just shrugged and said it wasn't their night? Not their night? They were up 16, come on.

Play the right lineups at the right times. Actually keep playing the guys that are hot and not stick to some stupid script you've decided on before the game even begins.

But you're right, CPower. Kerr always seems to be making the wrong moves. It's disgusting.

I have to agree with him that it wasn't our night. Steph and Dray were terrible and the rest of the team was missing a lot of wide open looks. That on top of Denver being a way better team than us = not our night. The Murray-Jokic pick n roll/dribble hand off is the most difficult play to stop in the NBA right now.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#236 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:13 pm

On playback.

The team just looked physically and mentally tired. They were just going through the plays without even looking at how the nuggets were defending.

And looking at the schedule, I didn't realize it was another 3 in 4 for the dubs. So, fatigue definitely makes sense. And the high that klay gave them early just made the eventual low alot lower.

Scheduling loss.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,217

Post#237 » by cpower » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:29 pm

either way having a 124 Drtg is unacceptable. I can get by us not making a shot but playing this terrible on D is just sad...when are we going to turn on the defense for real?
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#238 » by jozef » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Wow, I watched the game later and was astonished to see "Mad Scientists" :D assigning Klay in 4th Q on Gordon and then on Jokic...
Jokic absolutely killed Loon and Dray was not able to slow him down at all. It is fascinating how TJD still does not get the opportunity to play as starting center when it is absolutely obvious that he is by far the best inside finisher and protector.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#239 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:32 pm

jozef wrote:Wow, I watched the game later and was astonished to see "Mad Scientists" :D assigning Klay in 4th Q on Gordon and then on Jokic...
Jokic absolutely killed Loon and Dray was not able to slow him down at all. It is fascinating how TJD still does not get the opportunity to play as starting center when it is absolutely obvious that he is by far the best inside finisher and protector.

Kerr logic : 3>2
Reality logic : except when opposition destroys you inside and shuts you down outside

Return to Golden State Warriors