ImageImageImageImageImage

Revisiting the 73 win Warriors

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,820

Revisiting the 73 win Warriors 

Post#1 » by SaveTheHens » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:31 pm

I don't think the general public really appreciates what Steph, what that team was going for. They were so good and dominant that they went for 73. And they got there but the energy expenditure on your body, how good did you have to be to do that and get through the rigors of the playoffs while a lot of other stars got their rest time.

Some may say it was stupid, shouldve settled for 68 wins, rested up, won a championship. But I kind of disagree. When you're that dominant I respect going for more. This is sports, why not try and achieve the impossible, test your powers. It fell short, but honestly give me a 3-1 lead like that and 9 times out of 10 the warriors would win. Just ran into that tenth time where Cleveland took em by surprise, dray suspension, blah blah blah. It was a major choke, but to not respect that commitment to achieving the impossible I think is poor taste. Lebron had a much easier road to a championship in terms of being able to take more rest, not have the pressure of chasing a seemingly impossible record, I mean obviously the comeback from down 1-3 is super impressive, but the ultimate closer that series was Kyrie too. Imo Currys done more than Lebron has, has been more dominant, his shooting has changed the league, and his 73 & 1 away from a ring should enhance his legacy rather than detract from it. He COULDVE chilled out and more than likely won another one, yet he did the human badass thing to do and challenged himself to go for the best season ever recorded in NBA history.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Re: Revisiting the 73 win Warriors 

Post#2 » by Onus » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:29 pm

The 73 gets glossed over because we didn't win that year. We only didn't win that year because the NBA wanted to extend the series when it was apparent we were going to blow out the Cavs. Then all of our defenders got hurt and the collapse commenced.

The media really tries to boost up Lebron's legacy but his resume is not impressive. Curry is this generation's Jordan even though the media tries to downplay him.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#3 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:41 pm

They were playing perfect ball until the last 10 games of the regular season when they got burned out. Chasing the win record burned them out.

Curry was still playing injured in the finals. Draymond might have won finals MVP based on his fantastic game 7 but his teamates could not hit shots in game 7. Both the Warriors and Cavs could not hit shots in game 7 to the point where both teams kind of looked like they were trying to throw the game. Really both teams looked exhausted in game 7.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#4 » by parsnips33 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:47 pm

Will never forgive Domantas Motijunas' sweaty ass :lol:
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,832

Post#5 » by floppymoose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:40 pm

I don't buy the burn out thing. They were dominant and were toying with the league. It was just an injury that derailed things. Steph played hurt in the playoffs... that was the issue. He was in his physical prime and yet couldn't evade Kevin Love on the perimeter. Otherwise it would have been a 4-1 or 4-0 championship.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#6 » by vvoland » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:43 pm

floppymoose wrote:I don't buy the burn out thing. They were dominant and were toying with the league. It was just an injury that derailed things. Steph played hurt in the playoffs... that was the issue. He was in his physical prime and yet couldn't evade Kevin Love on the perimeter. Otherwise it would have been a 4-1 or 4-0 championship.

yes. this and the bogut injury
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#7 » by Onus » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:47 pm

vvoland wrote:
floppymoose wrote:I don't buy the burn out thing. They were dominant and were toying with the league. It was just an injury that derailed things. Steph played hurt in the playoffs... that was the issue. He was in his physical prime and yet couldn't evade Kevin Love on the perimeter. Otherwise it would have been a 4-1 or 4-0 championship.

yes. this and the bogut injury

The bogus Draymond suspension. Andre blowing out his back. Bogut getting hurt. All happening in the same game.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#8 » by parsnips33 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:05 pm

Totally with you. The burn out thing is just too convenient of an explanation, especially when they were still only a handful of points from repeating
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#9 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:24 pm

parsnips33 wrote:

Totally with you. The burn out thing is just too convenient of an explanation, especially when they were still only a handful of points from repeating

Agree here. It wasn't burning out that had Curry gagging in the final 2 games....or Draymond getting kicked out of one. Nah...this was just LeBron and Irving playing down 1-3, nothing to lose, and our core choking down the stretch. Those final super tight possession where Curry couldn't even shake Kevin fricken Love? Both teams hoisting hero bricks until Irving hit one.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#10 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:26 pm

Best team in history. Considering depth, size, I think it even beats the Durant Warriors.

BTW, MJ can kiss my a$$ saying claiming that it doesn't matter unless you win the finals. What a dic that guy is. 73 win Warriors was the best team in history and, if not, it was the Curry, Durant version.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,697

Post#11 » by WarriorGM » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:04 am

Are people glossing over that team? That you're even thinking that should tell you something. What do you think is the reason?

The entire way the media has approached Steph and the Warriors since then is uncannily weird. Steph comes off producing what is arguably the greatest statistical season of all-time, leads a team to 73 wins, pretty much demands with his play he be given a unanimous MVP---and the very next year the media is harping about how KD is the greatest player on the team.

Doesn't that sound like b***s***? It certainly does to me.

But many people allow themselves to be gaslit by others. I would hope fans of Golden State who were able to bear witness wouldn't be so easily misled. That's why I was angry with many of posters here and the Warriors organization itself who couldn't even bring themselves to say Curry is the greatest player in the league with no ifs or buts when he very clearly was.

Since the 2022 championship only Jokic has presented a case of being better currently and he's been getting the same nerfing treatment that Curry has gotten ever since he broke out. Curry is better than LeBron and a real threat to Jordan's status as the greatest player ever. If Curry got anything close to the whistle that the likes of Jordan and Magic got in their day, it would be very obvious. Can you imagine Curry getting 5 more points per game at the foul line and his ppg rising correspondingly? Curry is a game breaking cheat code. People still don't appreciate that enough.

Return to Golden State Warriors