oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Re: Steph Curry *IS* the System 

Post#41 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:42 am

whatisacenter wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
Luke ran what Kerr had created and MJax would still have Curry on ball getting trapped all game.

Do you not remember MJax fighting for his life and not knowing how to maximize Curry? Would SVG had created the offense Kerr did if he had been given coach and GM duties?

I get people having qualms with Kerr and his coaching but some here think he is an idiot and a terrible coach which says more about them than Kerr, IMO.

The MJax you're trash talking took an inferior squad to the fourth highest SRS in the NBA before Stephen Curry entered his prime with David Lee at PF. What do you think's going to happen when they get a mediocre coach, Curry Curry enters his prime, and the whole cast improves? Oh, and Draymond Green is forced to start to due injury. Keep in mind, already the fourth best team in the NBA.

If a team has the fourth highest SRS in the NBA, they are a young, they are great on defense, and they have the greatest offensive weapon of all time who has yet to enter their prime... They're going to improve when they get rid of the incompetent coach and replace the worst defensive forward in the NBA with the best defense of forward in the NBA.

Luke Walton improved on what Steve Kerr created. Just like Steve Kerr improved on what Mark Jackson created. The biggest difference between Walton and Kerr is that Walton actually had a feel for the game.

The truth is that the warriors should have forced Steve Kerr into a front office role as soon as he took time off for his back.

Okay, Mark, how is your new gig?

I'm not even praising Jackson. I was happy he was fired.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#42 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:05 am

System is 80% Curry and 20% Draymond.
Without them we are a nondescript bad team.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,054

Post#43 » by Jester_ » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:59 am

whatisacenter wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Do you not remember MJax fighting for his life and not knowing how to maximize Curry? Would SVG had created the offense Kerr did if he had been given coach and GM duties?

I get people having qualms with Kerr and his coaching but some here think he is an idiot and a terrible coach which says more about them than Kerr, IMO.

Um, do you not remember MJax taking Curry with a limping sophomore Klay as his 2nd best player past the 3rd seed Nuggets and almost beating the championship Spurs in the 2nd round?

Do you not remember Curry averaging 23/8 in the second half of his rookie year with a dementiad Don Nelson and G-league players?

Do you not remember Curry taking a team of white polisci kids almost to the final four and eviscerating the best college teams playing 1-on-5?

Curry has been a cheat code his entire career - did you start watching in 2015? :crazy:

Thanks for resting my case.

How did the Warriors do the following year with MJax after surprising the league that season by beating the Nuggets and coming up short against the Spurs in 2013? They were beat in the first round because MJax never made any adjustments with the offense.

In the NCAA Curry was electric but was ultimately undone by a team doing guess what??? Double teaming him!

Curry has always been an electric individual scorer but was not fully unlocked until when? 2014-15, Kerr's first season as coach and Curry wins league MVP and the Warriors win their first title since 1975.

And I started watching the Warriors as my favorite team in 1987 which is why I appreciate Coach Kerr and the dynasty we have been treated to since he was hired.

It's ok to give him credit and also hold him accountable for his mistakes but some, and especially you, are ridiculous with your criticisms.

They lost in 7 games to the Clippers who were favoured and had the highest net rating in the league that year - what kinda revisionist cope is this? The Clippers were a better team than anyone we faced in '15

What about 2016, when Steve Kerr led the greatest choke job in finals history? Or 2015 when we went down 2-1 to a Cavs team with Mozgov as it's second best player? Or when Kerr was gifted the greatest roster ever assembled, and a Chris Paul-injury saved our asses from choking (again)?

Our "dynasty" happened because we drafted the greatest offensive weapon in NBA history, got him for cheap thanks to injury luck, found the greatest-ish defender in NBA history in the second round, who only got to shine once an injury forced our bumbling coach to play him and a historically unlikely stroke of luck allowed us to somehow add Kevin Durant on top of that

I give Kerr plenty of credit. He coached his ass off in 2022. Doc coached his ass off in 08. Hell MJax coached his ass off in 13. That doesn't mean they aren't all three, net of everything, deeply flawed coaches.

And claiming Kerr unlocked Curry is like giving Kevin Mchale credit for "unlocking" Harden. Just silly.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,832

Post#44 » by floppymoose » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:59 pm

Mavs are hot. Gafford has been good for them. Trying to beat Dallas right now without Steph will be a big test.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#45 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:58 pm

Jester_ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
Um, do you not remember MJax taking Curry with a limping sophomore Klay as his 2nd best player past the 3rd seed Nuggets and almost beating the championship Spurs in the 2nd round?

Do you not remember Curry averaging 23/8 in the second half of his rookie year with a dementiad Don Nelson and G-league players?

Do you not remember Curry taking a team of white polisci kids almost to the final four and eviscerating the best college teams playing 1-on-5?

Curry has been a cheat code his entire career - did you start watching in 2015? :crazy:

Thanks for resting my case.

How did the Warriors do the following year with MJax after surprising the league that season by beating the Nuggets and coming up short against the Spurs in 2013? They were beat in the first round because MJax never made any adjustments with the offense.

In the NCAA Curry was electric but was ultimately undone by a team doing guess what??? Double teaming him!

Curry has always been an electric individual scorer but was not fully unlocked until when? 2014-15, Kerr's first season as coach and Curry wins league MVP and the Warriors win their first title since 1975.

And I started watching the Warriors as my favorite team in 1987 which is why I appreciate Coach Kerr and the dynasty we have been treated to since he was hired.

It's ok to give him credit and also hold him accountable for his mistakes but some, and especially you, are ridiculous with your criticisms.

They lost in 7 games to the Clippers who were favoured and had the highest net rating in the league that year - what kinda revisionist cope is this? The Clippers were a better team than anyone we faced in '15

What about 2016, when Steve Kerr led the greatest choke job in finals history? Or 2015 when we went down 2-1 to a Cavs team with Mozgov as it's second best player? Or when Kerr was gifted the greatest roster ever assembled, and a Chris Paul-injury saved our asses from choking (again)?

Our "dynasty" happened because we drafted the greatest offensive weapon in NBA history, got him for cheap thanks to injury luck, found the greatest-ish defender in NBA history in the second round, who only got to shine once an injury forced our bumbling coach to play him and a historically unlikely stroke of luck allowed us to somehow add Kevin Durant on top of that

I give Kerr plenty of credit. He coached his ass off in 2022. Doc coached his ass off in 08. Hell MJax coached his ass off in 13. That doesn't mean they aren't all three, net of everything, deeply flawed coaches.

And claiming Kerr unlocked Curry is like giving Kevin Mchale credit for "unlocking" Harden. Just silly.

Mark Jackson played Steph as if Steph was slow but great passer Pacers Mark Jackon with Bougut and others setting multiple picks like Dale and Antonio Davis so that Curry could get free to pass. Klay was Reggie Miller. I think Curry may have lead the league in assists under Jackson.

Kerr played Steph as if Steph was a super version off Kerr. Kerr was an off the ball shooting point guard who was not really a point guard. Kerr turned Draymond into point forward Scottie Pippen who enabled Jordan and Kerr to play off the ball. Kerr understood the benifit of Jordan’s gravity to Jordan’s teammates. While Jordan or Curry was distracting defenses Pippen Draymond could pass to whoever was open. David Lee was good. Recognizing that Draymond’s passing could be more valuable than David Lee”# scoring was something Kerr did. Draymond allowed Curry to play off ball. Curry and Klay running off the ball made a mess for defensive assignments and Draymond was the right guy to find the defensive break-downs and make the riggt pass.

Who passed like Draymond. LeBron passed like a drive kick point guard. Paul Pressey was more like Draymond but Paul Pressey was before Kerr’s time.
Kerr did something smart.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,330

Post#46 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:12 am

Looking at the bright side, this could be a blessing in disguise of sorts. Steph gets a 4-5 game rest, CP3 gets some chemistry and feel with his teammates after coming back from injury. Other guys are forced to step up..Biggest thing is we want steph as fresh as possible during the last stretch of the season. Not saying I ever want him sitting for extended periods of time, but if there was ever a moment somewhat ideal for it with a minor injury..well this would be it.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#47 » by Onus » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:56 am

ShootersShoot wrote:Looking at the bright side, this could be a blessing in disguise of sorts. Steph gets a 4-5 game rest, CP3 gets some chemistry and feel with his teammates after coming back from injury. Other guys are forced to step up..Biggest thing is we want steph as fresh as possible during the last stretch of the season. Not saying I ever want him sitting for extended periods of time, but if there was ever a moment somewhat ideal for it with a minor injury..well this would be it.

It would’ve been nice if we could’ve taken care of the bulls and spurs in his absence.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#48 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:49 pm

There is no gelling with the teammates for CP3.. its kinda like when a parent "suggests" something to a kid, knowing that its actually going to be enforced. It's not 50/50 here, CP3 isnt running with these guys. He's going to slow the pace and you are going to adjust to him, point blank period. And so far we're 1-1 against the Spurs and the 1 win took a great shooting performance from CP3, against another PG that just cant shoot

Would probably be best to have kept him in his exact role because let's face it, thats what he brings to the table when the games really matter. Backup PG, slowing the pace for guys like Klay and maybe Saric so that we can have a competent enough offense while slowing the game down and allowing the runners to rest. But also wouldnt have started Klay for that same reason. Those 2 are going through huge adjustments in their career after a decade plus each (almost 2 for CP3) of being starters and key players on their teams. They are both now bench spark plugs and might be best served staying in that lane going forward
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#49 » by Onus » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:57 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:There is no gelling with the teammates for CP3.. its kinda like when a parent "suggests" something to a kid, knowing that its actually going to be enforced. It's not 50/50 here, CP3 isnt running with these guys. He's going to slow the pace and you are going to adjust to him, point blank period. And so far we're 1-1 against the Spurs and the 1 win took a great shooting performance from CP3, against another PG that just cant shoot

Would probably be best to have kept him in his exact role because let's face it, thats what he brings to the table when the games really matter. Backup PG, slowing the pace for guys like Klay and maybe Saric so that we can have a competent enough offense while slowing the game down and allowing the runners to rest. But also wouldnt have started Klay for that same reason. Those 2 are going through huge adjustments in their career after a decade plus each (almost 2 for CP3) of being starters and key players on their teams. They are both now bench spark plugs and might be best served staying in that lane going forward

Kerr is most likely going to start them both again. I do think CP and Podz should be separated. If only Kerr was actually focused on defense first, we'd start Podz, Moody, Wiggins, JK, Dray. I'd feel a lot more excited about our matchup against the Mavs. But hopefully this is only 1 more game and we get Steph back for the Lakers game. That Lakers game is going to be huge to not be 10th.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,330

Post#50 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:38 pm

Onus wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:Looking at the bright side, this could be a blessing in disguise of sorts. Steph gets a 4-5 game rest, CP3 gets some chemistry and feel with his teammates after coming back from injury. Other guys are forced to step up..Biggest thing is we want steph as fresh as possible during the last stretch of the season. Not saying I ever want him sitting for extended periods of time, but if there was ever a moment somewhat ideal for it with a minor injury..well this would be it.

It would’ve been nice if we could’ve taken care of the bulls and spurs in his absence.

The team has been relying on steph all season. He makes things easier for everybody. I'm not surprised to see that they may need more than 1.25 games to get used to playing without him. Not saying it will lead to wins, more like individuals get to play a bigger role and that may help them once steph comes back.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#51 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:30 am

I think I will pass on trading old Steph and Dray for 4 Kelly Oubre type payers”

Too bad that Wiseman was a bust.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#52 » by Sandy333 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:34 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:System is 80% Curry and 20% Draymond.
Without them we are a nondescript bad team.

About right. And we have Steve doing a Oscar level job as if he is coaching.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#53 » by Sandy333 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Even draymond believes this and has taken a break as steph is playing. It is a waste playing a warriors team without Steph.

Return to Golden State Warriors