ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,542

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#241 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:16 pm

First off, we have to check who's actually available. No need throwing out names like LeBron, Durant, Paul George, etc, when these guys will never leave (or be traded) from their teams.

I'm also against sending the farm for Lauri, he has missed too many games in the past few years, and giving up Kuminga, Moody, TJD plus many picks would be an overpay IMO.

I'm also, once again, against a trade which would send out lots of our 1sts, swaps and the such. I think we are dangerously close to being a lottery team in the next few years, we are old and that formula is a recipe for having lots of missed games by our main players, that would be like shooting ourselves in the foot.

I think a good move would be focusing on trading for Dejounte. Atlanta apparently wants to shed some contracts. Try to find a 3-way with them, mostly sending Wiggins to Canada.

GS: Dejounte
Toronto: Wiggins
Atlanta: Bruce Brown, Podz, one 1st, lottery protected.

I think Atlanta would want Podz as a filler, he could mesh well with Trae, operating as a ballhandler and letting Trae work off the ball, plus getting the main perimeter assignment on defense. They get cap relief, a young piece or two, plus picks.

Toronto gets Wiggins on a friendly deal. He goes back to Canada. Plus I have a feeling Bruce Brown will eventually walk out anyway after his deal ends.

We get Dejounte, who is an above average defender and would get the main perimeter assignment, plus works well on-ball, as a release valve, allowing Curry to playing off-ball.

TJD / Looney
Green
Kuminga / Moody
Murray / Klay (unfortunately re-signed)
Curry / GP2

Main rotation right there. Plus 1 or 2 veteran FA signings, and perhaps Garuba's promotion to the main team as a 4th big in the rotation.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,088

Post#242 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:07 pm

Sadly I think they keep the core three together and tinker around the edges.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#243 » by Onus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:08 pm

I really think we need to try JK to the 2. I know he can't shoot, which means our 4 or 5 needs to be a sniper. As a 2 he should get out more in transition where he really thrives. It limits what he has to do on defense. Just be a POA defender, limits rotations gets him out of having to rebound (really he has similar deficiencies as Klay on defense and we've been able to hide Klay as poa). On offense he's better with a strength mismatch than he is with a speed advantage. He can overpower most 2s. So our offense would be inverted with JK getting post touches and our sniper 4/5 being stationed outside.

Curry/JK/Wiggins/Dray/Shooting big

Will probably have to be a secondary lineup since it seems like TJD is going to be our starting center moving forward. Ironic that JK got his spot taken by another 24 yr old rookie. At least TJD is a long term piece.

Possible FA targets Obi, Jalen Smith, Okeke, Fonteccio, Nwora, or Tristan Vukcevic. Really a shame OPJ retired. Or possibly a rookie can fill that role Karaban or Bridges. Karaban's offensive movement as a 4 is pretty awesome. I think he's really an offensive weapon who not only spaces the floor but moves without the ball really well. He's just constantly moving. Can shoot off of movement. Just hard to know how he'll hold up defensively when he had the huge eraser in Clingan behind him. Bridges is more of a standstill shooter who should be able to hold up defensively. I think Karaban's offense will help our team more though especially in our motion offense.

Curry/Podz
Moody/JK/Lester
Wiggins/Gui (GP2 - but really we should lessening his role since he can't stay healthy)
Dray/Karaban
TJD/Looney/Garuba

Really need another big shooter and decision maker for the bench. I think Kerr would want another PG so that would be 14. 15 is up for grabs. I kind of want to go Anton Watson for the 15th spot.

Our only old players would be Curry, Dray, Looney, GP2.

Any trade that doesn't bring in a big that can shoot, really shouldn't even be discussed until that issue is solved. 3pts made has the highest correlation to winning in these playoffs so far and we literally have no bigs (4s or 5s) that are even respectable out there.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,089

Post#244 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:37 pm

Romulus wrote:Get Lauri and Isaac. Those two moves give you size, shooting, defense, athleticism.

You offer JK, Podz, and two first rounds picks for Lauri (young players and draft picks -- two things very appealing to Ainge).

You swap CP3 in a sign-and-trade for Isaac.

A championship team? Nah, probably not. But at least you're improved.

Isaac is definitely not going to go to the Warriors. One, we cant S&T because we are above 1st apron. Two, Isaac is under contract. Three, Isaac is worth way more than CP3s expiring

I'd also be wary of trading for 2 injury prone power forwards by using future assets
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,697

Post#245 » by WarriorGM » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:44 pm

The winning model clearly suggests defensive players are what's called for. History has shown that is what has won with Steph. People keep ignoring it and instead are trying to to reinvent the wheel. Players like KCP, Caruso, Vanderbilt, Reid, Smart would have been great adds these past couple of years.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#246 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:51 pm

Sometimes championship teams just devolve and the franchise has to bottom out first.

Look at the Spurs. How long have they've been down. They haven't even had high lottery picks that I can think of aside fro Wemby. Anyone else on that team taken in the top 5 or even top 7?

They suffered the double blow not just of Duncan/Ginobli/Parker aging out but Kawhi leaving them.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#247 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:51 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:TJD / Looney
Green
Kuminga / Moody
Curry / GP2

Love the concept, but the only problem I have with this is that it ships out Wiggins. I know people are down on him and throwing all the usual tropes about him, but he was still really good *off-ball*, just like he was 2 years ago. Problem is, if others aren't, then the system breaks down. Getting DJM would be fantastic, but a big selling point of it would be to put Wiggins off-ball where he can thrive, and not need to cover for Klay or Poole like he has in the past

Thats why when I think of a DJM trade, I think CP3/JK. One, it ensures Klay is likely gone (Podz takes the backup 1/2 spot). And two, it sells Kuminga at what's likely the high value point of his career, opening the door for Wiggins to go back to what made people think he was turning a corner. In terms of maximizing value and helping the roster, it looks like the best bet to me, even if its unrealistic that Klay ever leaves :dontknow:
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,542

Post#248 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Green
Kuminga / Moody
Curry / GP2

Love the concept, but the only problem I have with this is that it ships out Wiggins. I know people are down on him and throwing all the usual tropes about him, but he was still really good *off-ball*, just like he was 2 years ago. Problem is, if others aren't, then the system breaks down. Getting DJM would be fantastic, but a big selling point of it would be to put Wiggins off-ball where he can thrive, and not need to cover for Klay or Poole like he has in the past

Thats why when I think of a DJM trade, I think CP3/JK. One, it ensures Klay is likely gone (Podz takes the backup 1/2 spot). And two, it sells Kuminga at what's likely the high value point of his career, opening the door for Wiggins to go back to what made people think he was turning a corner. In terms of maximizing value and helping the roster, it looks like the best bet to me, even if its unrealistic that Klay ever leaves :dontknow:

Wiggins has regressed from a performance and availability standpoint. When he's good, he's good... but how often does this happen?

Moreover, Atlanta has money commited to DeAndre Hunter, and soon to Jalen Johnson. How would Kuminga fit in their rotation? His skillset overlaps with those 2 guys. And what about Kuminga's future extension? Or are you implying that Kuminga, in this scenario, would go to another team? If so, who would go to Atlanta?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#249 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:26 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Green
Kuminga / Moody
Curry / GP2

Wiggins has regressed from a performance and availability standpoint. When he's good, he's good... but how often does this happen?

Moreover, Atlanta has money commited to DeAndre Hunter, and soon to Jalen Johnson. How would Kuminga fit in their rotation? His skillset overlaps with those 2 guys. And what about Kuminga's future extension? Or are you implying that Kuminga, in this scenario, would go to another team? If so, who would go to Atlanta?

This is exactly what I mean though... his performance dips when you put him in a situation where he's not as good. What I'm suggesting would put him back in that situation where he thrived - which, btw, he did almost as good last year as he did 2 years ago, when Kerr actually put him in that position. And no one on the roster comes close to that impact - Moody might, but unless Kerr has a sudden change of heart there, we'd be taking a massive dip

As for the JK part.. not sure. I think he'd do well with a good shooting team and he's definitely a SF at this stage, so I dont see the overlap with Jalen. The Hunter extension was problematic, so maybe he'd need to go or JK would. I actually thought he'd be more duplicating AJ Griffin (albeit a much better version)

Maybe it would need to be bigger though? Fine with that.. but a big point of pushing for DJM would be maxing out what we currently have, because that's what its going to take to make a "win-now" trade worth it. Otherwise its just so we can make the playoffs, and thats a goal for a struggling franchise, not a light years one :D
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#250 » by Romulus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:56 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Sadly I think they keep the core three together and tinker around the edges.

Agreed. And that's death. A very slow, painful death for all of us to watch.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,259

Post#251 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:56 pm

Wiggy/Dray for KD to me seems to be as straightforward of a deal as possible for both teams, I like Kuminga for Mobley as well.

really the only keeper at this point should be Steph, no one off limits. no time for sentamentalism anymore.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#252 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:35 pm

is Kuminga for Mobley actually a thing or just a pipe dream? That trade would give me solidpants
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
osx28
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#253 » by osx28 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:08 pm

Ok so these moves probably get ripped to shreds in here, but I think they can fix a bunch of problems.

1. Wiggs and JK for Mikal Bridges and Schroeder. Money works, just don't know if BK takes it without at least one unprotected first, but even if we did need to send one, I think it's fair value just to get rid of 22 and have a more consistent player on both offense and defense. Bridges was all defense 1st team 2 yrs ago, with Draymond and TJD he could get back to those levels as he's only 27. Offensively he scored 26ppg a couple of years ago as well, in a lineup with Steph and Klay, I don't see him doing less than 20ppg.
Then Schroeder, I know a bunch of people don't like him, but we'd still need scoring off the bench and at 30, he's still young enough to provide a punch off the bench, plus he's a pretty decent passer with 6apg. I'd hate losing JK, but his potential won't be achieved before it's too late fore Steph and Bridges is just entering his prime, so to me he already is what JK could become.

2. Guarantee CP3's 15m poriton of his deal and send him to San Antonio for Zach Collins. He'd be the tallest and bulkiest player on our team and is mobile enough and sets screens well enough that hopefully Kerr would actually play him.

3. Send Podz and Loon for Caruso. We might have to send some draft compensation as well, but that could be negotiable. Caruso + Schroeder backcourt off the bench would be very versatile offense/defense to mix and match with the starters.

4. resign klay to 20m or less for 2 years, perhaps give him a player option for 3rd if contract length is an issue. He might not want to stay if Steph and or Dray are gone after that.

5 Sign a PF that can shoot for the mid-level or a minimum. There's not a lot of great ones, but perhaps Torrey Craig, or homeless man Lauri aka Bertrans or Batum.

Depth chart would look like:

PG - Steph/Schroeder
SG - Klay/Carusso
SF - Mikal/Moody/GP2
PF Dray/FA PF
C- Trayce/Collins

You still have Garuba, Santos and Quinones on the margins which can help in case of injuries.

We'd have 3 all-nba defensive players on our roster, plus Trayce who has shown he can defend almost anyone not named Jokic/AD/Embid and GP2 who can change games with his defense. . plenty of shooting in ever lineup, better positional size so we don't have play midget lineups and at least 1 rotation player over 6'9 which would be an improvement from the past couple years.

This would also solve the rotational mess that Kerr had us in since we wouldn't have 12 playable guys, just 9 and maybe 10, but he could easily just play 9 and give everyone consistent minutes.

I think this roster could've been a top 4 team in the league this year and top 2-3 in the west. A chip wouldn't be easy but much better chance than what we did this year imo. It'd be a much more consistent lineup at the very least w/o Wiggins.

For those of us who aren't ready to blow up our big 3, this might be the most realistic shot at doing something that matters next year. Plus we get to keep at least one of our draft picks which might be very valuable. PG, Gianis or KD aren't coming through that door because of their massive contracts, so getting one of them would certainly mean blowing it all up and mortgaging our future. It's too much of a risk for me.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,088

Post#254 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:is Kuminga for Mobley actually a thing or just a pipe dream? That trade would give me solidpants

Dreaming….dreaming is free.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#255 » by TB » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:23 pm

osx28 wrote:Ok so these moves probably get ripped to shreds in here, but I think they can fix a bunch of problems.

1. Wiggs and JK for Mikal Bridges and Schroeder. Money works, just don't know if BK takes it without at least one unprotected first, but even if we did need to send one, I think it's fair value just to get rid of 22 and have a more consistent player on both offense and defense. Bridges was all defense 1st team 2 yrs ago, with Draymond and TJD he could get back to those levels as he's only 27. Offensively he scored 26ppg a couple of years ago as well, in a lineup with Steph and Klay, I don't see him doing less than 20ppg.
Then Schroeder, I know a bunch of people don't like him, but we'd still need scoring off the bench and at 30, he's still young enough to provide a punch off the bench, plus he's a pretty decent passer with 6apg. I'd hate losing JK, but his potential won't be achieved before it's too late fore Steph and Bridges is just entering his prime, so to me he already is what JK could become.

2. Guarantee CP3's 15m poriton of his deal and send him to San Antonio for Zach Collins. He'd be the tallest and bulkiest player on our team and is mobile enough and sets screens well enough that hopefully Kerr would actually play him.

3. Send Podz and Loon for Caruso. We might have to send some draft compensation as well, but that could be negotiable. Caruso + Schroeder backcourt off the bench would be very versatile offense/defense to mix and match with the starters.

4. resign klay to 20m or less for 2 years, perhaps give him a player option for 3rd if contract length is an issue. He might not want to stay if Steph and or Dray are gone after that.

5 Sign a PF that can shoot for the mid-level or a minimum. There's not a lot of great ones, but perhaps Torrey Craig, or homeless man Lauri aka Bertrans or Batum.

PG - Steph/Schroeder
SG - Klay/Carusso
SF - Mikal/Moody/GP2
PF Dray/FA PF
C- Trayce/Collins

You still have Garuba, Santos and Quinones on the margins which can help in case of injuries.

We'd have 3 all-nba defensive players on our roster, plus Trayce who has shown he can defend almost anyone not named Jokic/AD/Embid and GP2 who can change games with his defense. . plenty of shooting in ever lineup, better positional size so we don't have play midget lineups and at least 1 rotation player over 6'9 which would be an improvement from the past couple years.

This would also solve the rotational mess that Kerr had us in since we wouldn't have 12 playable guys, just 9 and maybe 10, but he could easily just play 9 and give everyone consistent minutes.

I think this roster could've been a top 4 team in the league this year and top 2-3 in the west. A chip wouldn't be easy but much better chance than what we did this year imo. It'd be a much more consistent lineup at the very least w/o Wiggins.

For those of us who aren't ready to blow up our big 3, this might be the most realistic shot at doing something that matters next year. Plus we get to keep at least one of our draft picks which might be very valuable. PG, Gianis or KD aren't coming through that door because of their massive contracts, so getting one of them would certainly mean blowing it all up and mortgaging our future. It's too much of a risk for me.

Really well thought out plan.

Agree on the Bridges idea. Have to kick the tires on that one with various trade packages. Same goes for Lauri and Dejounte.

Also totally get the Loon/Podz for Caruso one and think Chicago would say yes. I personally think Podz is going to make a big leap this year, but Caruso is a player I've wanted for a long time so would totally understand it. And Caruso would definitely start over Klay.

The one I wouldn't do is the CP3 for Collins one. I'm not against a similar type of move, but if Collins is the target I'd rather let CP3 walk and use the MLE on Goga who is better than Collins.

Long story short, if you can get a Steph, Caruso, Bridges, Dray, Trayce (or Goga) lineup.... ya you sign all the paperwork as fast as possible.
osx28
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#256 » by osx28 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 pm

TB wrote:
osx28 wrote:Ok so these moves probably get ripped to shreds in here, but I think they can fix a bunch of problems.

PG - Steph/Schroeder
SG - Klay/Carusso
SF - Mikal/Moody/GP2
PF Dray/FA PF
C- Trayce/Collins

Really well thought out plan.

Agree on the Bridges idea. Have to kick the tires on that one with various trade packages. Same goes for Lauri and Dejounte.

Also totally get the Loon/Podz for Caruso one and think Chicago would say yes. I personally think Podz is going to make a big leap this year, but Caruso is a player I've wanted for a long time so would totally understand it. And Caruso would definitely start over Klay.

The one I wouldn't do is the CP3 for Collins one. I'm not against a similar type of move, but if Collins is the target I'd rather let CP3 walk and use the MLE on Goga who is better than Collins.

Long story short, if you can get a Steph, Caruso, Bridges, Dray, Trayce (or Goga) lineup.... ya you sign all the paperwork as fast as possible.

Thanks! I agree Lauri and or Dejaunte would also require other trades to make everything fit. At this point, there is no 1 player that can magically fix things. At least not a realistic one. I chose Mikal over those 2 because of his defense, he's already proven he can be that POA defender we've been desperately needing , but I could be convinced about the other 2 if the price was right.

I hadn't thought of Goga, definitely would be better to let CP walk if we could get him on the cheap.

And that lineup you just mentioned is a title contender, perhaps not the favorite, but if everything falls right, crazier things have happened.

edit: oh and Klay off the bench makes a lot of sense as well. He and schroeder would be a top 3 bench backcourt in the league.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

Post#257 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:58 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:is Kuminga for Mobley actually a thing or just a pipe dream? That trade would give me solidpants

Hilton Armstrong agrees.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#258 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:16 pm

I'm on record to tear it down. However it looks like the new TV deal will kick in for the 25/26 season and will be DOUBLE the amount of the current deal. Which should mean money for the Warriors to make a major move. If that's a possibility I might be inclined to limp along next season with most of the same guys, get a good draft pick, and make a major addition next summer.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#259 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:18 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Romulus wrote:Get Lauri and Isaac. Those two moves give you size, shooting, defense, athleticism.

You offer JK, Podz, and two first rounds picks for Lauri (young players and draft picks -- two things very appealing to Ainge).

You swap CP3 in a sign-and-trade for Isaac.

A championship team? Nah, probably not. But at least you're improved.

Isaac is definitely not going to go to the Warriors. One, we cant S&T because we are above 1st apron. Two, Isaac is under contract. Three, Isaac is worth way more than CP3s expiring

I'd also be wary of trading for 2 injury prone power forwards by using future assets

Adding (27-year old!) Lauri Markkanen would be a huge, defining move for the Warriors. I don't see Danny Ange moving off him though.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#260 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:26 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:I'm on record to tear it down. However it looks like the new TV deal will kick in for the 25/26 season and will be DOUBLE the amount of the current deal. Which should mean money for the Warriors to make a major move. If that's a possibility I might be inclined to limp along next season with most of the same guys, get a good draft pick, and make a major addition next summer.

I believe they already baked in max 10% cap increases so no repeat of the KD moment for us gong forward.

Return to Golden State Warriors