Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#281 » by Onus » Thu May 2, 2024 5:57 pm

vvoland wrote:
TB wrote:If we do get under the cap (wiggins for a pick) or at least under tax (gaining the MLE), and we don't catch any big fish in the trade market... curious what people think the following will get money wise:

Goga - Would feel great heading into the season with Trayce/Goga splitting the center minutes.

Toppin - like his fit in terms of allowing Kuminga to move to SF. Can play next to Dray or as a backup.

Monte Morris - losing CP3, he could be a great backup PG if my prediction happens where Podz takes a big leap and solidifies himself as a starting guard next to Curry (splitting ball handling duties)

Melton - could have a GP2 type impact, much younger.

With Goga, Morris, Melton all not playing much in the playoffs... I'm wondering if that keeps their prices down a tad and we could potentially bring in a few of these guys (assuming we let CP3/Klay walk or maybe trade Wiggins).

Assuming you'd have to attach a future 1st to move wiggins, do you do that? Let's say it's wigs + a top 10 protected in '26 for an early 2nd or something, do you do that just to get the MLE?

Have you seen what is out there in FA? For the MLE i doubt there's anyone that has Wiggins ceiling.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,089

Post#282 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 2, 2024 6:42 pm

vvoland wrote:1. "Klay had a fine year" and they "would love to bring him back at 3/60 with a team option on yr 3." "Still a better overall player than grayson allen, point blank".. sounds like 3/75 is the soft walkaway number for them

2. Wiggins, however, "has to go" and "what do you need to attach for another team to take him.. at least a first" and "one of the worst players by advanced metrics in the league that played x games." that last one seemed hyperbolic as he then reached for a stat (EPM, I think) and once he found it, it looked better than he expected, by the sound of it.

3. "Podz is a good role player for this team" and "First team all-rookie" and "not the heir apparent for klay or steph" and "one of the best 3rd options on offense"

4. Do you extend Moody and JK? Moody should tell the warriors to kick rocks and not sign a cheap extension. Extend JK for 25M or less. Does he want the mcdaniels (5/130) extension or will he take the jalen brown rookie extension (4/80).

5. Restructure GP2 and figure out what to do w/ Looney.

1) awful across the board. I mean how much of it is Klay's fault though? He's not taking himself out of the game. I'm sure he didnt ask to be a down low help defender. But to call it a fine year is peak boxscore watching
2) awful across the board, and flat out untrue except for public facing metrics. Wiggins is the prime example of maxing value.. he's a niche player and we took him out of his niche, and surprise surprise, he wasn't as good. If they arent trying to win, trade him, unless he actually does have negative value. Really doubt he does though - Warriors laid the blueprint on how to use him. Then inexplicably went away from it :lol:
3) except for the 3rd option part.. sure that's fine
4) think that's as accurate as I've seen from a talking head. I'd still sell on Kuminga because I think his peak is Rudy Gay, and if you create a situation where he's one of your 2 best scorers.. well we saw how that played out. And I think an extension means thats our future, unless we get some credible star power that can shoot, fast. Moody.. would love to keep him but would he love to stay? Its not crazy to think anywhere else he'd be getting more time
5) how exactly do you re-structure an NBA contract? (A: you cannot, unless its to give them more money when you have capspace)

Vecinie is not a reliable source, never has been, but there's only really 2 connected people in the NBA media ranks. Thats one thing thats been crazily clear to me since the days when I got good info.. there's virtually no difference between what these guys discuss and what forums discuss. Its all white noise to me tbh.. I mean if you have a researched opinion, why would I put that below his? Thats how I look at it at least
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#283 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 2, 2024 6:56 pm

I think the Goga for 1/3m is entirely achievable. Question is.. does he want to play here, knowing that TJD is locked in cheap and will get 1st crack every time? There might be better teams with less solid C situations. Bucks jump to mind, as do Clippers and Pelicans
Onus
RealGM

Post#284 » by Onus » Thu May 2, 2024 7:03 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:I think the Goga for 1/3m is entirely achievable. Question is.. does he want to play here, knowing that TJD is locked in cheap and will get 1st crack every time? There might be better teams with less solid C situations. Bucks jump to mind, as do Clippers and Pelicans

I think the hardest part about FA moving forward is where are the minutes going to come from? There's no clear minutes open at any positions really unless an injury happens, Klay leaves, or a trade happens.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#285 » by vvoland » Thu May 2, 2024 7:34 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:1. "Klay had a fine year" and they "would love to bring him back at 3/60 with a team option on yr 3." "Still a better overall player than grayson allen, point blank".. sounds like 3/75 is the soft walkaway number for them

2. Wiggins, however, "has to go" and "what do you need to attach for another team to take him.. at least a first" and "one of the worst players by advanced metrics in the league that played x games." that last one seemed hyperbolic as he then reached for a stat (EPM, I think) and once he found it, it looked better than he expected, by the sound of it.

3. "Podz is a good role player for this team" and "First team all-rookie" and "not the heir apparent for klay or steph" and "one of the best 3rd options on offense"

4. Do you extend Moody and JK? Moody should tell the warriors to kick rocks and not sign a cheap extension. Extend JK for 25M or less. Does he want the mcdaniels (5/130) extension or will he take the jalen brown rookie extension (4/80).

5. Restructure GP2 and figure out what to do w/ Looney.

1) awful across the board. I mean how much of it is Klay's fault though? He's not taking himself out of the game. I'm sure he didnt ask to be a down low help defender. But to call it a fine year is peak boxscore watching
2) awful across the board, and flat out untrue except for public facing metrics. Wiggins is the prime example of maxing value.. he's a niche player and we took him out of his niche, and surprise surprise, he wasn't as good. If they arent trying to win, trade him, unless he actually does have negative value. Really doubt he does though - Warriors laid the blueprint on how to use him. Then inexplicably went away from it :lol:
3) except for the 3rd option part.. sure that's fine
4) think that's as accurate as I've seen from a talking head. I'd still sell on Kuminga because I think his peak is Rudy Gay, and if you create a situation where he's one of your 2 best scorers.. well we saw how that played out. And I think an extension means thats our future, unless we get some credible star power that can shoot, fast. Moody.. would love to keep him but would he love to stay? Its not crazy to think anywhere else he'd be getting more time
5) how exactly do you re-structure an NBA contract? (A: you cannot, unless its to give them more money when you have capspace)

Vecinie is not a reliable source, never has been, but there's only really 2 connected people in the NBA media ranks. Thats one thing thats been crazily clear to me since the days when I got good info.. there's virtually no difference between what these guys discuss and what forums discuss. Its all white noise to me tbh.. I mean if you have a researched opinion, why would I put that below his? Thats how I look at it at least

We've had the Klay conversation plenty so I'll just skip to the wiggins part. I think you're being way too easy on him and I can't see why. The scheme stuff does explain a bunch of the defensive struggles but offensively, he's been in the same system and his #s have cratered (declined, if you want to not get hyperbolic). Beyond the numbers, his style of play and general effort on that end was lower than at any point in his GSW career.

Most of the advanced metrics also bear that out. Lowest FG% and 3pt % on his lowest volume while in GS. Assists, steals, and blocks per 100 possessions all went down. TOV % increased, TS % decreased and OBPM, DBPM and VORP were all the lowest in the last 5 years. Again, let's say the defensive metrics are due to a different role, why is the offense so much worse? He even had a lower usage and was often matched up against 2nd units and still couldn't quite manage. I'm quoting the advanced stats here because you've heard me speak about what my eyes see but this is a topic where the eye test and the box scores and the advanced stats all agree. Perhaps the tracking data doesn't but since I neither have access to it nor know which data to look at, it's hard for me to add that to the conversation. From what I've seen, he was a lethargic player; more on the offensive side than on defense. The few games were he played like his old self were jarring in the impact he had on winning and how rare they were.

I agree that if they're trying to win, moving wiggins for a player that can reach wig's ceiling is probably impossible. How likely is Wigs to reach his ceiling considering what we've seen since that early season stretch in 22-23? That's the tough decision the dubs have right now. Personally, as I said above, I keep wiggs to next year's deadline in the hope he'll recover some value but unless he is playing lights out from the pre-season through end of Jan, I still trade him if I can get back a comparable player. I would guess Wigs is a negative value considering the length of the contract and his reputation. There's a big risk in keeping him to the deadline - he may crater his value even further.

Rudy Gay's career high in FG% was 50.4 while his high in points per 36 is 21.4. After being buried for two months this season, at age 21, JK put up 21.9pts per 36 on 53% FG. Rudy Gay's career high TS was .582 in his age 32 season on 22% usage. JK's was at .598 TS% on 24% usage, this season, at age 21. Rudy was a far more accomplished college player that came into the league at 20 and had all he can eat in terms of shots and minutes early on. JK had to fight for every minute on the court (probably shouldn't have had to). In their first 3 seasons, Gay had 10K minutes vs JK's 4500. I'd say JK's already reaching peak rudy gay a decade earlier than rudy did while having half the nba experience after year 3.

GP2's contract is pretty easy to 'restructure.' You get him to opt out of the player option (9m) and sign him to a 3 year, ~15M deal. If he's unsure he can get another contract after this season, he may take that additional 6M in guaranteed cash. If he's pretty sure the next portland will give him a deal if he stays healthy next season, he'd have no reason to opt out and he'll just get to free agency. Looney isn't in the same boat but they do need to figure out if they want to cut, trade or keep the guy. Unless that 5M in guaranteed money gets them under the 2nd apron or the tax line, I don't see why they would not keep him around as a locker room guy, backup/matchup big.

Not sure what you consider reliable but I do think Sam's connected considering he has former podcast co-hosts currently working in multiple front offices. I don't necessarily mean his analysis is reliable, but if he's hearing that wiggins will cost a 1st to move, I'd trust that over a message board poster saying we can move wiggins to Phi for their 16th pick. No offense whatsoever to TB for floating that rumor, btw, just as a point of comparison.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#286 » by TB » Thu May 2, 2024 7:38 pm

This is where Zaza needs to make his money lol. Him and Goga have a relationship, so go sell him on the plan of splitting time with Trayce with some Dray small ball minutes here and there. He can be here long-term as a solid center duo of him and Trayce.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#287 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 2, 2024 8:53 pm

vvoland wrote:Not sure what you consider reliable but I do think Sam's connected considering he has former podcast co-hosts currently working in multiple front offices. I don't necessarily mean his analysis is reliable, but if he's hearing that wiggins will cost a 1st to move, I'd trust that over a message board poster saying we can move wiggins to Phi for their 16th pick. No offense whatsoever to TB for floating that rumor, btw, just as a point of comparison.

I'm not as down on Wiggins' offense because of context - he started the year horribly, then went back to his Warrior averages (above so, even). I'd be much lower on him if it was a consistent below average effort all year, and it doesnt mean you entirely forget the first 18 games, but those scenarios shouldnt be read as the same at all. 19th game and beyond he actually had higher #s, across the board, than his Warriors career averages, with exception of blocks and turnovers, which both did trend down. 3/4 of the season and he's putting up 15-5-1.5 on 47/39/82 (.578 TS%).. youll absolutely take that from a guy who makes his actual hay on defense. That said, I've never expected much from him offensively anyways. 15pts on average efficiency is more than acceptable as a realistic expectation, IMO, for Wiggins. Also same as in 21-22, we see exactly how dependent on Draymond Wiggins actually is, both sides of the court.

JK is not at Gay's peak, and I want to point out that if you have a problem with Wiggins' overall efficiency this year, then you cant really compartmentalize JK's the same way. Gay was actually a good defender and a much better handler. The handles.. that just probably isnt going to happen. The defense might though.. but Kuminga definitely does not profile as someone who's efficiency will get better as his role increases. He struggled mightily when there was a low-post presence. Upside remains though because he's a great finisher, but will have to learn how to combat the bigtime rim protectors

GP2 isnt going to restructure, just doesnt make financial sense. The league minimum is 2.72m, so the only way he'd do that is if he feared he'd literally be out of the league. But the flip side is that if he's still good enough to be on the Warriors, why wouldnt they sign him for that? So not much meat on the bone

I wouldnt take Vecinie's word over TBs. Or vice versa, sorry TB but its about time we all called you out.. But my point is Sam has no **** idea about trade value. Because trade value isnt the average of what people think in the league, its what the high point is. So when I say these guys have no better idea than us, its because they dont, unless they have contacts with all 30 teams who are willing to share that info... Woj/Shams are on tier 1, and then everyone of us, every beat writer, every podcaster.. is on tier 2, comfortably ahead of TB in tier 3
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#288 » by vvoland » Thu May 2, 2024 9:55 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:Not sure what you consider reliable but I do think Sam's connected considering he has former podcast co-hosts currently working in multiple front offices. I don't necessarily mean his analysis is reliable, but if he's hearing that wiggins will cost a 1st to move, I'd trust that over a message board poster saying we can move wiggins to Phi for their 16th pick. No offense whatsoever to TB for floating that rumor, btw, just as a point of comparison.

I'm not as down on Wiggins' offense because of context - he started the year horribly, then went back to his Warrior averages (above so, even). I'd be much lower on him if it was a consistent below average effort all year, and it doesnt mean you entirely forget the first 18 games, but those scenarios shouldnt be read as the same at all. 19th game and beyond he actually had higher #s, across the board, than his Warriors career averages, with exception of blocks and turnovers, which both did trend down. 3/4 of the season and he's putting up 15-5-1.5 on 47/39/82 (.578 TS%).. youll absolutely take that from a guy who makes his actual hay on defense. That said, I've never expected much from him offensively anyways. 15pts on average efficiency is more than acceptable as a realistic expectation, IMO, for Wiggins. Also same as in 21-22, we see exactly how dependent on Draymond Wiggins actually is, both sides of the court.

JK is not at Gay's peak, and I want to point out that if you have a problem with Wiggins' overall efficiency this year, then you cant really compartmentalize JK's the same way. Gay was actually a good defender and a much better handler. The handles.. that just probably isnt going to happen. The defense might though.. but Kuminga definitely does not profile as someone who's efficiency will get better as his role increases. He struggled mightily when there was a low-post presence. Upside remains though because he's a great finisher, but will have to learn how to combat the bigtime rim protectors

GP2 isnt going to restructure, just doesnt make financial sense. The league minimum is 2.72m, so the only way he'd do that is if he feared he'd literally be out of the league. But the flip side is that if he's still good enough to be on the Warriors, why wouldnt they sign him for that? So not much meat on the bone

I wouldnt take Vecinie's word over TBs. Or vice versa, sorry TB but its about time we all called you out.. But my point is Sam has no **** idea about trade value. Because trade value isnt the average of what people think in the league, its what the high point is. So when I say these guys have no better idea than us, its because they dont, unless they have contacts with all 30 teams who are willing to share that info... Woj/Shams are on tier 1, and then everyone of us, every beat writer, every podcaster.. is on tier 2, comfortably ahead of TB in tier 3

TS% stayed flat (near .600) as usage increase from 19 to 24 despite his 3pt % going down from 37 to 32. Gay had a more ascetically pleasing handle but in creating for himself and others, I'm not sure it was much more effective. Give JK another 5000 minutes to this point, I think his handle would be improved from what we see now. The upside is there because if he learns to shoot, and he's showing some signs there, he'll be hard to stop on the offensive end. He's already one of the best paint scorers/finishers in the league.

Not sure I would put myself on the same level as, for example, marcus thompson. Sure, he doesn't have a contact at all 30 teams but he does have them in the dubs FO. If that front office didn't get any interest at wiggins at the deadline other than "we'll take a pick to take him off your hands" or isn't seeing any offers come through now, there's a good chance he'll hear about it and report it. Similarly, if the dubs are decent at their jobs, they would gauge the market at both the "average value" and with the teams that would offer the most. I do not have those connections but the reporting I've heard from the local guys seems to indicate that they are plugged in.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#289 » by Twinkie defense » Fri May 3, 2024 12:06 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Isaac is definitely not going to go to the Warriors. One, we cant S&T because we are above 1st apron. Two, Isaac is under contract. Three, Isaac is worth way more than CP3s expiring

I'd also be wary of trading for 2 injury prone power forwards by using future assets

Adding (27-year old!) Lauri Markkanen would be a huge, defining move for the Warriors. I don't see Danny Ange moving off him though.

Even without injury concerns, I think he’s gone from underrated to overrated in just a 2 year span. My bet is Ainge sells him off because he doesn’t want to pay top coin for a guy who’s extremely one way and doesn’t create. Jazz are doing what fans always want their teams to do.. pump and dump

Very few teams that could make it worth it. Knicks and Magic jump to mind, but Magic have a ton of PF already. OKC maybe too, but may not even need him

Personally I think he’d be great for San Antonio, who won’t need Sochan as much w Wemby erasing shots down low. They’re much better than their record this year too

If Draymond likes him I'm down with trading for him!
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,691

Post#290 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri May 3, 2024 12:38 am

We have to decide whether we want to be a playoff team.

We would need to trade draft picks to be a playoff team during Curry’s decline.

Otherwise just Keep Curry, Klay, Dray, Trayce Podz and Quinones and Santos and trade everybody else for draft picks and be bad.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#291 » by TB » Fri May 3, 2024 4:28 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

TS% stayed flat (near .600) as usage increase from 19 to 24 despite his 3pt % going down from 37 to 32. Gay had a more ascetically pleasing handle but in creating for himself and others, I'm not sure it was much more effective. Give JK another 5000 minutes to this point, I think his handle would be improved from what we see now. The upside is there because if he learns to shoot, and he's showing some signs there, he'll be hard to stop on the offensive end. He's already one of the best paint scorers/finishers in the league.

Not sure I would put myself on the same level as, for example, marcus thompson. Sure, he doesn't have a contact at all 30 teams but he does have them in the dubs FO. If that front office didn't get any interest at wiggins at the deadline other than "we'll take a pick to take him off your hands" or isn't seeing any offers come through now, there's a good chance he'll hear about it and report it. Similarly, if the dubs are decent at their jobs, they would gauge the market at both the "average value" and with the teams that would offer the most. I do not have those connections but the reporting I've heard from the local guys seems to indicate that they are plugged in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was so confused because I didn't notice Vvoland mentioned me to begin with.

No offense taken, Vvoland! I may have used the word rumor, but also mentioned I saw it on a twitter convo (so it must be true). But I did go check the numbers to see if a deal like that (wiggins for #16) would work, which it does.

Also, I feel comfortable in Tier 3 of source credibility. Being that low is the first requirement to getting your own sports show on TV.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#292 » by Romulus » Fri May 3, 2024 8:26 pm

Why can the Lakers fire Ham but the Warriors can't do the same thing and fire Kerr? Kerr cost his team many more games than Ham this season. Is there no one in this FO capable of critical thinking and giving honest evaluations?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#293 » by CDM_Stats » Fri May 3, 2024 8:38 pm

Romulus wrote:Why can the Lakers fire Ham but the Warriors can't do the same thing and fire Kerr? Kerr cost his team many more games than Ham this season. Is there no one in this FO capable of critical thinking and giving honest evaluations?

No way they'd fire him before his extension even kicks in. He'd have to assault kill someone to not be the coach next year
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#294 » by Romulus » Fri May 3, 2024 8:46 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Romulus wrote:Why can the Lakers fire Ham but the Warriors can't do the same thing and fire Kerr? Kerr cost his team many more games than Ham this season. Is there no one in this FO capable of critical thinking and giving honest evaluations?

No way they'd fire him before his extension even kicks in. He'd have to assault kill someone to not be the coach next year

Of course. The question however, is WHY did they sign him to an extension in the middle of the season when there was no reason to do so? Why not wait until the season was over and give Kerr an honest evaluation? At season's end, without a contract and a horrible job of coaching, it would have been easy to just let him go.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,697

Post#295 » by WarriorGM » Sat May 4, 2024 2:26 am

Indeed it is curious. So curious it can lead one to the conclusion that it was actually Kerr's weird coaching that ownership wanted and was paying for.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#296 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 4, 2024 4:29 am

Romulus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Of course. The question however, is WHY did they sign him to an extension in the middle of the season when there was no reason to do so? Why not wait until the season was over and give Kerr an honest evaluation? At season's end, without a contract and a horrible job of coaching, it would have been easy to just let him go.

Reward for prior work. We know why.. no use hand-wringing anymore

I hate when pro sports teams operate like a mom and pop shop. But winning isnt the end-all be-all for some folks, and maybe it tapers off after having sustained success. Doesnt matter really.. the one thing W's fans should be hoping is that MDJ is not a bleeding heart when it comes to these kinds of things. And that he has the power to make those calls. Odds are against both, but if you're like me and rings are the only goal that matters, its the only straws we can grasp right now
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#297 » by Romulus » Sat May 4, 2024 4:50 am

And now I'm reading Kuminga is "safe," and won't be traded unless they get blown away with an offer? Again, is this FO serious? Does it care about winning anymore?

This is actually basketball hell -- not bad enough to be in the lottery, not good enough to be in the playoffs. I guess fans should just put on the old games, grab a beer, and remember the good ole days. In the here and now, you can watch the core 3 slowly rot on the vine, getting worse with each passing year.

Light years.
Onus
RealGM

Post#298 » by Onus » Sat May 4, 2024 1:08 pm

Romulus wrote:And now I'm reading Kuminga is "safe," and won't be traded unless they get blown away with an offer? Again, is this FO serious? Does it care about winning anymore?

This is actually basketball hell -- not bad enough to be in the lottery, not good enough to be in the playoffs. I guess fans should just put on the old games, grab a beer, and remember the good ole days. In the here and now, you can watch the core 3 slowly rot on the vine, getting worse with each passing year.

Light years.

I think they have to say that but hopefully they aren’t actually doing it
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#299 » by EvanZ » Sat May 4, 2024 6:39 pm

Romulus wrote:And now I'm reading Kuminga is "safe," and won't be traded unless they get blown away with an offer? Again, is this FO serious? Does it care about winning anymore?

Light years.

I hope it's not true that they are just sitting around waiting for offers instead of being proactive and trying to make **** happen. Sigh. :banghead:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#300 » by EvanZ » Sat May 4, 2024 6:40 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:We have to decide whether we want to be a playoff team.

We would need to trade draft picks to be a playoff team during Curry’s decline.

Otherwise just Keep Curry, Klay, Dray, Trayce Podz and Quinones and Santos and trade everybody else for draft picks and be bad.

It's hilarious how you want to keep Lester and Gui Santos but trade Moody. I guess you have to double down on the idiocy.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors