Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,093

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#361 » by whatisacenter » Thu May 9, 2024 5:34 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Last night I was reminded how much we dropped the ball by not trying to sign Hartenstein. I don't know, maybe we did try. Not hard enough though. That dude would have unlocked so much for us. It's sort of the story of the last few years. Just too much resting on our laurels, like literally the textbook definition.

It's the Draymond effect. The FO wasn't going to sign/trade for 7' players that wouldn't get on the court.

When we had good 7-footers like Bogut and Zaza they got on the court. We all know how much Kerr loved having size back then. And then they went and drafted Wiseman, so that doesn't really sound like they were avoiding 7-footers. Imagine if they just signed Hartenstein and didn't feel the need to take Wiseman (not sure if this was the timing but you get the point).

Bob Myers on the possibility of a buyout big man: “It doesn’t matter if he’s 7-feet tall or 8-feet tall. Any buyout conversation has to be done in collaboration with the coaching staff. Because why bring a player in if they’re not going to use him?”

I know this quote is about a buyout big man but, Wiseman or no Wiseman, the team hasn't brought in a 7' the past two seasons.

I also don't think big men want to come to GS because they know they are going to get benched in crunchtime and that the best version of a team with Draymond on it is when he is playing as a small ball 5.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#362 » by EvanZ » Thu May 9, 2024 5:47 pm

Well, initially is was blocking Wiseman. Then they basically "found" a good Looney version for a few years and decided they didn't need another 7-footer. But really they are pretty rare to find, and Hartenstein was an obvious whiff.

Regardless, I don't care what the FO rationale was. Whatever it was, was wrong.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#363 » by vvoland » Thu May 9, 2024 9:57 pm

EvanZ wrote:Well, initially is was blocking Wiseman. Then they basically "found" a good Looney version for a few years and decided they didn't need another 7-footer. But really they are pretty rare to find, and Hartenstein was an obvious whiff.

Regardless, I don't care what the FO rationale was. Whatever it was, was wrong.

Did we have cap space that year to sign anyone? The summer after our title, we only had minimum contracts and the 4.5M we gave to Donte. Hartenstein signed for 2/16, so roughly 2x as much as we could offer him. I would say the Donte signing was a good one, even if he lost his shot at the worst time.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#364 » by ILOVEIT » Fri May 10, 2024 4:18 am

The harsh truth is most of the wins were against scrub teams. If you can't win those games then you shouldn't even roll out a team. Warriors had no way to stop other teams and close them out. Gee...if only we won those close games. There's a reason you didn't....lack of size, lack of second level scorer, horrid defense by a guy playing 30 minutes and about as reliable game to game scoring (Klay). This year was all Curry, some Draymond, a wildly inconsistent Klay and some young guy highlights from Kuminga and TJD.

FIX IT MIKE!
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Mambomuziki
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#365 » by Mambomuziki » Fri May 10, 2024 9:03 am

Let me make this team interesting and fun, if we win we win but it will be gritty and atleast Kerr will play these guys.

Ball handlers: Curry, BP, Caruso, Dray,Lavine
Wings: Lavine, Klay, Caruso, GP2, Andre Jackson, OShae Brissett,Quentin Grimes
Front Court: Dray, Watford, Santos,OShae,Andre Jackson, Goga, TJD

Trade details:
Note: I didn't not aggregate salaries here because if I did so we would be hard capped at $189M.

Traded CP3 to Spurs for D.Graham, Guaranteed only 15M to CP3, D. Graham moved to Bulls.
Traded Wiggins to Bucks (they wanted him) for Portis, Connaughton and Andre Jackson.- Bucks are hard capped at 189M- they will figure it out. Portis and Cannuaghton to Bulls. Andre Jackson to Warriors.

Traded J.K to bulls for a 2028 and 2029 1st round pick swaps unprotected. Saves us Money on future extension, I am sure some here would like Phillips on this deal but we don't have roster spot.

Traded Moody to Detroit for Grimes. Saves us money on future extension.maybe attach a second here.

Received Zach Lavine, Caruso, A J and Grimes.

Signed. Brissett, Goga and Watford.

I would not make mind Colin Castleton on a 2 way

I think it's a well balanced team in terms of Age, length and height. I also think Kerr will be able to play and manage lines ups well.

Traded Looney to Piston with the 2024 #52 pick.
Klay signed for 3 years 51m with PO, salary begins at 14.5M, but goes up.
GP2 resigned at 3 years 17.1M with PO starting at 4.9m going up.
I have Goga, Brissett and Watford for Vet Min 2 years with PO- we didn't do this last year that's why we couldn't get any FA.
Current team is below tax at 170.9M. and 14 Roster spots.

Thanks guys.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 309

Post#366 » by GswStorm3 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:55 am

Mambomuziki wrote:Let me make this team interesting and fun, if we win we win but it will be gritty and atleast Kerr will play these guys.

Trade details:
Note: I didn't not aggregate salaries here because if I did so we would be hard capped at $189M.

Traded CP3 to Spurs for D.Graham, Guaranteed only 15M to CP3, D. Graham moved to Bulls.
Traded Wiggins to Bucks (they wanted him) for Portis, Connaughton and Andre Jackson.- Bucks are hard capped at 189M- they will figure it out. Portis and Cannuaghton to Bulls. Andre Jackson to Warriors.

Traded J.K to bulls for a 2028 and 2029 1st round pick swaps unprotected. Saves us Money on future extension, I am sure some here would like Phillips on this deal but we don't have roster spot.

Traded Moody to Detroit for Grimes. Saves us money on future extension.maybe attach a second here.

I think it's a well balanced team in terms of Age, length and height. I also think Kerr will be able to play and manage lines ups well.

I have Goga, Brissett and Watford for Vet Min 2 years with PO- we didn't do this last year that's why we couldn't get any FA.

Thanks guys.

Nobody wants Zach Lavine here.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#367 » by Senchu » Fri May 10, 2024 11:51 am

Or Klay with Kerr as the coach.
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 205

Post#368 » by BayAreaDub » Fri May 10, 2024 1:13 pm

I want no 5 guard lineup options for Kerr
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#369 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 10, 2024 3:25 pm

Spoiler:
Mambomuziki wrote:Let me make this team interesting and fun, if we win we win but it will be gritty and atleast Kerr will play these guys.

Trade details:

Thanks guys.

Whether it's a worthwhile plan or not, you're one of the very few who actually takes the cap and Aprons into account when proposing trades and changes. Kudos for appreciating the hard-cap rules. Well done.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#370 » by whatisacenter » Fri May 10, 2024 3:49 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Spoiler:

Trade details:

Thanks guys.

Whether it's a worthwhile plan or not, you're one of the very few who actually takes the cap and Aprons into account when proposing trades and changes. Kudos for appreciating the hard-cap rules. Well done.

Curious of your thoughts on these scenarios?

Spoiler:
First order of business should be to renounce the rights to Klay

Second they should trade Draymond. One option is to send him to the Lakers for a Rui and Vando package so he can play with his buddy and the Warriors can get off his contract for two roll players. Another potential team is the Bucks and getting back a package of Bobby Portis and Pat Connaughton.

Third is what to do with CP. They could just let him walk or use his contract after renouncing Klay to package him is a deal for an impact player but I don't really see a good option out there that would be worth taking on more salary. I would like to find a way to trade for DJM from Atlanta but I don't think they would just want to get off his contract. Lauri is unrealistic with what Ainge would want in return.

2024/25 Roster

Lakers trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Rui/Gui
Jk/Vando/Rui
TJD/Vando/Loon

Bucks trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Gui/Connaughton
JK/Portis
TJD/Portis/Loon

Maybe they cut Loon to save a few M's and GP2 opts out and signs for more years at less annually and the team should be right around $141-144M. Not sexy but they would be younger and more athletic and have the MLE and vet minimums to play with to fill out the roster.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#371 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 3:49 pm

I'm a Magic fan. It's looking more like my team will offer Klay a big 2 yr deal. Probably in the range of $70m. It's possible that Klay stays with Golden State if they offer him a 3rd season. Something like 3 yrs $78m. I don't think the Magic wants to give Klay a 3rd season because Banchero's max will hit that season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#372 » by whatisacenter » Fri May 10, 2024 3:50 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'm a Magic fan. It's looking more like my team will offer Klay a big 2 yr deal. Probably in the range of $70m. It's possible that Klay stays with Golden State if they offer him a 3rd season. Something like 3 yrs $78m.

I doubt and hope that the Warriors FO would not match that offer or beat it.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#373 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 3:52 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm a Magic fan. It's looking more like my team will offer Klay a big 2 yr deal. Probably in the range of $70m. It's possible that Klay stays with Golden State if they offer him a 3rd season. Something like 3 yrs $78m.

I wouldn't if I were the Warriors. It would put you in the 2nd apron likely and you wouldn't be able to make any other moves.

I don't think the Magic wants to take on any long-term contracts. In 2 years, Paolo, Suggs, and Franz will be entering their primes, and they want to have flexibility to put role players around them.

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#374 » by Onus » Fri May 10, 2024 4:03 pm

basketballRob wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I wouldn't if I were the Warriors. It would put you in the 2nd apron likely and you wouldn't be able to make any other moves.

I don't think the Magic wants to take on any long-term contracts. In 2 years, Paolo, Suggs, and Franz will be entering their primes, and they want to have flexibility to put role players around them.

Hopefully you guys give him a big contract like that where in order for us to match it'll put us in the 2nd apron. It would make no sense for us to be a 2nd apron team with the way it's currently constructed, so that gives our FO an out at not matching. Also seems like the FO is out of the big 3 once Steph's contract is up since they lined Kerr and Dray with Steph's contract. So I don't see them offering a 3rd year unless it's a team option, which means it's really just a 2 year contract.

Klay is still one of the best shooters in the league. It's just we rely on him so much (Kerr in particular) that we allow him to take some wild wild shots. But if you can keep him as a catch and shoot player, he can hit some shots.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#375 » by CDM_Stats » Fri May 10, 2024 4:22 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'm a Magic fan. It's looking more like my team will offer Klay a big 2 yr deal. Probably in the range of $70m. It's possible that Klay stays with Golden State if they offer him a 3rd season. Something like 3 yrs $78m. I don't think the Magic wants to give Klay a 3rd season because Banchero's max will hit that season.

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#376 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Spoiler:

Trade details:

Thanks guys.

Spoiler:

Second they should trade Draymond. One option is to send him to the Lakers for a Rui and Vando package so he can play with his buddy and the Warriors can get off his contract for two roll players. Another potential team is the Bucks and getting back a package of Bobby Portis and Pat Connaughton.

Third is what to do with CP. They could just let him walk or use his contract after renouncing Klay to package him is a deal for an impact player but I don't really see a good option out there that would be worth taking on more salary. I would like to find a way to trade for DJM from Atlanta but I don't think they would just want to get off his contract. Lauri is unrealistic with what Ainge would want in return.

2024/25 Roster

Lakers trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Rui/Gui
Jk/Vando/Rui
TJD/Vando/Loon

Bucks trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Gui/Connaughton
JK/Portis
TJD/Portis/Loon

Maybe they cut Loon to save a few M's and GP2 opts out and signs for more years at less annually and the team should be right around $141-144M. Not sexy but they would be younger and more athletic and have the MLE and vet minimums to play with to fill out the roster.

Both those plans depend on trading Draymond. Since I think that's extremely unlikely, that kind of ends them right there.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#377 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 4:54 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm a Magic fan. It's looking more like my team will offer Klay a big 2 yr deal. Probably in the range of $70m. It's possible that Klay stays with Golden State if they offer him a 3rd season. Something like 3 yrs $78m. I don't think the Magic wants to give Klay a 3rd season because Banchero's max will hit that season.

It's 2 years, and the Magic would still be well below the tax.

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#378 » by CDM_Stats » Fri May 10, 2024 5:10 pm

basketballRob wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

It's 2 years, and the Magic would still be well below the tax.

Financials arent the big problem, its that he's a very one-note player who hurts the team

2 players on the Warriors somehow had a net negative +/- while playing with Steph. Dario Saric and Klay Thompson. Magic should be aiming higher, they are on the cusp of being a top 4 team in the East for a long time. Think you'd regret bringing in Klay at all. Hell, Buddy Hield probably a better option :dontknow:
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#379 » by whatisacenter » Fri May 10, 2024 5:21 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

2024/25 Roster

Lakers trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Rui/Gui
Jk/Vando/Rui
TJD/Vando/Loon

Bucks trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Gui/Connaughton
JK/Portis
TJD/Portis/Loon

Both those plans depend on trading Draymond. Since I think that's extremely unlikely, that kind of ends them right there.

While I think you’re right about that, I hope you’re wrong. Having Draymond on the team next season pretty much ensures the team will be stuck in neutral for another year.

The two scenarios I laid out would get the teams’ cap numbers under control and retain all the future assets.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#380 » by Onus » Fri May 10, 2024 5:28 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Spoiler:

2024/25 Roster

Lakers trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Rui/Gui
Jk/Vando/Rui
TJD/Vando/Loon

Bucks trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Gui/Connaughton
JK/Portis
TJD/Portis/Loon

While I think you’re right about that, I hope you’re wrong. Having Draymond on the team next season pretty much ensures the team will be stuck in neutral for another year.

The two scenarios I laid out would get the teams’ cap numbers under control and retain all the future assets.

I'd prefer the Lakers trade over the Bucks trade
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors